Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
isn't part of the charm that you only need to pass the test not meet the spec per se, encouraging "cheating" to get lower scores.. fitting with ancient chinese secrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
undocumented behavior only owns in a monoculture. imagine if your game only worked on Atari 800 because they fixed a bug for the xl/xe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah it's definitely part of the game to find untested cases, that's a bit different from finding undocumented ways of using instructions. I think both are cool though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Annual Gift Panda posted:

undocumented behavior only owns in a monoculture. imagine if your game only worked on Atari 800 because they fixed a bug for the xl/xe

this is a game where you try to beat your friends

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

otoh if you find a really good bug, intel/microsoft will have to replicate its behavior forever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

exploit early, exploit often

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Having minor updates break all of your poo poo because you were relying on undefined behaviour is part of the charm of programming! Just look at all of the poo poo that the Dolphin people have to do

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
also, it's supposed to be a second-rate chinese manufacturer, the kind that only cares about whether the item appears to work. future updates? what are those?

relying on undocumented behavior that may later disappear to save on manufacturing costs is very much in the spirit of the game.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

chinese manufacturers will design boards with redundant device footprints, so they can swap in whatever component is cheapest at the shezhen market that week.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i added some yosfriends and drat bobbilljim is like a wizard or something

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
can you not have multiple versions of a solution in spacechem?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

thehustler posted:

can you not have multiple versions of a solution in spacechem?
no that was only added in later games, but you do have an infinite undo history

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

big scary monsters posted:

I'm captainfoosa and if u add me you'll probably feel better about your Infinifactory solutions

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

:smugdog::pipe:

jabor and sudoku own me tho

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
not asking for solutions, but do you need ops beyond what you start with to get down to 3 lines on the early problems? it seems like i'd need to do two things on one line at the moment to get there

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

not asking for solutions, but do you need ops beyond what you start with to get down to 3 lines on the early problems? it seems like i'd need to do two things on one line at the moment to get there

yeah, if you read your in-game emails you'll eventually find out about a few bonus features of the microprocessors you're using

some of the later levels would be really tough without them!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

peak spirit-of-the-game is cobbling together the shittiest solution that passes, submitting it, and moving forward

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

refining a solution to save bom is somewhat tolerable as well

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Spent the better part of the evening on the "make a game" mission. I decided to make a "cheap" knockoff of Simon Says, but considering the number of parts I had to use, its not very cheap

Some lights blink and you're supposed to match the pattern it shows. It keeps track of the number of consecutive right answers, and resets to zero when you're wrong. I'm only a few missions in, so this isn't utilizing anything not found in the documentation.

In the spirit of the game, the circuit locks up if you enter in input too fast, I'm not about to start debugging why that's happening, catching something sleeping at the wrong time I'm sure.

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 3, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good work my child

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I skipped past Shenzhen i/o and I'm just programming a game boy now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal