Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Condiv posted:

the immersion is you're an ee making poo poo electronics for chinese manufacturers

saving money by not actually meeting the spec, just making something that passes the test cases, is not only permitted but actively encouraged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

bobbilljim posted:

protip: make ur wires as short as possible (mayb u know this already)
that doesn't change anything about power consumption tho

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

bobbilljim posted:

before i learned about gen :smugmrgw::pipe:

also use p1 you rear end!!!!!!

e: tho ur solution is way better than mine poo poo

i didn't even think about the wire lol. my wires are always a mess

edit: you're using jumps a lot more effectively than i ever do

Condiv fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 12, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i finally got my wireless controller down to 177 power/6 nuyen :mrgw:

edit: actually it's 176 power, i just saw that deadcode at the top of one of my units

Condiv fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 12, 2016

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
look @ these scrublords paying for early access :cool:

edit: i bought it
edit: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mantaworks

karms fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 12, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

finally im on top

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabor posted:

saving money by not actually meeting the spec, just making something that passes the test cases, is not only permitted but actively encouraged

i was super excited for the infrared sensor thing bc i misread the spec and thought the off time dial never changed, so i managed to cram all the code into a single MC4000

but the off time does change on the last cycle unfortunately. would be awesome to be able to ship a 100% broken product just because the test cases weren't thorough enough :allears:

Condiv posted:

you're literally making a circuit that buzzes intermittently when a button is pressed. what it adds to some crappy oculus rift knockoff i dunno. our very first assignment is to make a security camera with fake recording and wlan lights

if you read the emails, the device is a "people coming into the room" buzzer so that the guy can avoid, ahem, awkward moments with his girlfriend

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Bonfire Lit posted:

that doesn't change anything about power consumption tho

its possible that i hallucinated this, I'll test it out if i remember

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

just want to say also the writing is so true i feel like i have known all of these dudes especially the hosed up white guy who thinks he's Chinese

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

its possible that i hallucinated this, I'll test it out if i remember

I tried this out and it makes zero difference

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

COOL DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

it's been a while since i've been this fried by a game

stared at tlt 20 93 for like five straight minutes trying to understand if it makes the plus or minus conditions go first before just trial and erroring it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Oh no this game is fun

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

spankmeister posted:

finally im on top

:argh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

Oh no this game is fun

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i got my version down to 141, still can't hit your 134

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Condiv posted:

i got my version down to 141, still can't hit your 134

I didn't even cheat :smug:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i got to 127 now for my cheapest version, 140 for non-gen version

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Hi guys add me please

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Haleakala/

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

:getin::pipe:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
big frustration is testing to see if an xbus signal is somethig worth listening to, but then by testing it you lose it, so I always have to copy it to dat and so I need a whole register just for that. I know this is hugely inefficient but I can't see a better solution?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

echinopsis posted:

big frustration is testing to see if an xbus signal is somethig worth listening to, but then by testing it you lose it, so I always have to copy it to dat and so I need a whole register just for that. I know this is hugely inefficient but I can't see a better solution?

yeah it blows

the most expedient way is to have a separate MC4k that does the listening, and only forwards it if it's relevant. then your real code can just listen for it using slx. you can look into merging them later if you're gunning for lowest cost.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

sometimes u can get away with wasting it but its kind of weird / inconsistent how it works. especially if u try to listen to one xbus line with 2 chips. at least simple in/out works fairly sanely as a bus

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

echinopsis posted:

if the xbus input has 3 or less states you can encode them in branch paths instead of using a register.for example:

code:
tcp x0 0
mov 0 acc
+mov 1 acc
- mov -999 acc

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

holy gently caress unlocked logic gates now i have to go and do that level a third time

update: it didnt help me much

bobbilljim fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 13, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
man that colour coordinating shoes one is tough. by far the most instructions of any solutions so far that's for sure. the board, the instruction space, and the interconnects are all basically jam packed.
http://i.imgur.com/DSoL9vB.png

http://i.imgur.com/KKZpRuj.png

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

TRAFFIC SIGNAL!!! :argh::argh:

it would have such a good easy solution if u didnt have to restart the pattern AND u cant cheat bcos they do a short emergency in the middle of a signal so what i have to like always sleep just 1 second??? fuk u!!!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

im so mad about traffic signal im going to have to take a break

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
THIS GAME IS TOO HARD

phi kappa FUCKBALLS
Jul 24, 2010

:frogbon:

phi kappa FUCKBALLS fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 14, 2016

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

it seems so simple. and yet.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Condiv posted:

if the xbus input has 3 or less states you can encode them in branch paths instead of using a register.for example:

code:
tcp x0 0
mov 0 acc
+mov 1 acc
- mov -999 acc

This doesn't make sense to me, you can't ever end up with acc==0 in any case with that code, only acc==1 and acc==-999.

For the "virtual reality buzzer" one I noticed that it always goes 1 -> 0 or 0 -> 1 so basically if you get ANY signal that isn't -999 you just switch states.

It doesn't work for other puzzels though :mad: and also it still takes the $5 controller and ALSO USES MORE POWER THAN EVERYONE ELSE THIS GAME IS TOO HARD

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Stereotype posted:

This doesn't make sense to me, you can't ever end up with acc==0 in any case with that code, only acc==1 and acc==-999.

With the tcp command, if the two arguments are equal then neither branch will be executed, the same way it is when things are first initialized.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

the tcp instruction has three possible returns

tcp n1 n2

if n1 is greater than n2, the + instructions are enabled
if n2 is greater than n1, the - instructions are enabled
if n1 is equal to n2, then neither set are enabled

so in the aforementioned code, acc is always set to 0, then overwritten with 1 if n1 > n2, or -999 if n1 < n2. if equal acc remains at 0.

e: aahhh gently caress you jabor, this always happens. i overexplain and someone beats me with a more cryptic but shorter answer :mad:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah tcp is incredibly powerful, I mean, reliable network data transfer, wowee!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

e: aahhh gently caress you jabor, this always happens. i overexplain and someone beats me with a more cryptic but shorter answer :mad:

fwiw, i think people appreciate the effort

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jabor posted:

With the tcp command, if the two arguments are equal then neither branch will be executed, the same way it is when things are first initialized.

Sagebrush posted:

the tcp instruction has three possible returns

tcp n1 n2

if n1 is greater than n2, the + instructions are enabled
if n2 is greater than n1, the - instructions are enabled
if n1 is equal to n2, then neither set are enabled

so in the aforementioned code, acc is always set to 0, then overwritten with 1 if n1 > n2, or -999 if n1 < n2. if equal acc remains at 0.

OH MY GOD HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS

HOW DOES ANYTHING I DID WORK

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

HOW DOES ANYTHING I DID WORK

programming.rtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice