Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You should print it out and make notes on it.

I'm not joking, there's lots of stuff that (much like the real world) isn't mentioned in the datasheets.

And once it's out of early access, you won't have to worry about those undocumented behaviors changing in the next batch of parts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

echinopsis posted:

lmao this is the least efficient solution out of a bunch of you guys and I can't think of anything better at all

that one's a bit obnoxious

you get power efficiency by not doing stuff unless you need to

if you already know one condition has failed, you don't need to check the other

Jabor fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 10, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

how do you discover undocumented instructions? are you just supposed to guess based on what you remember from assembly programming class, or does it come up in the story somehow?

read your emails

(yeah it's the latter)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
or if you can read chinese you can get all the deets on the logic array chip instead of having to figure it out yourself

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
in it, voted 5

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
for real though, don't beat yourself up comparing your first solution to everyone else's best solution.

lots of my first solutions were utter trash, and then I had some insight hours later while doing something totally unrelated that let me optimize the hell out of things

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bonfire Lit posted:

damnit jabor now I have to figure out how to shave 4 more power off my solution

as always, the answer is just to cheat horribly

actually, i don't even know if it still works since the update

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Condiv posted:

the immersion is you're an ee making poo poo electronics for chinese manufacturers

saving money by not actually meeting the spec, just making something that passes the test cases, is not only permitted but actively encouraged

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

echinopsis posted:

big frustration is testing to see if an xbus signal is somethig worth listening to, but then by testing it you lose it, so I always have to copy it to dat and so I need a whole register just for that. I know this is hugely inefficient but I can't see a better solution?

yeah it blows

the most expedient way is to have a separate MC4k that does the listening, and only forwards it if it's relevant. then your real code can just listen for it using slx. you can look into merging them later if you're gunning for lowest cost.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Stereotype posted:

This doesn't make sense to me, you can't ever end up with acc==0 in any case with that code, only acc==1 and acc==-999.

With the tcp command, if the two arguments are equal then neither branch will be executed, the same way it is when things are first initialized.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

e: aahhh gently caress you jabor, this always happens. i overexplain and someone beats me with a more cryptic but shorter answer :mad:

fwiw, i think people appreciate the effort

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
teq and tcp are completely different instructions

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
  tgt acc 2
+ sub 8

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

big scary monsters posted:

not asking for solutions, but do you need ops beyond what you start with to get down to 3 lines on the early problems? it seems like i'd need to do two things on one line at the moment to get there

yeah, if you read your in-game emails you'll eventually find out about a few bonus features of the microprocessors you're using

some of the later levels would be really tough without them!

• Locked thread