Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I mean it's an interesting idea and all but like

Why does this need to be a simulator

You can go and read datasheets and buy parts on AliExpress and build the thing for real for basically the same price as the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bonfire Lit posted:

I feel like that is entirely in the spirit of the game, what with you being a designer of lovely bargain bin electronics

Okay, this bit of background story is making me interested in the game now

Good story can Turn Me On to many games that have gameplay I don't really like

(my phone capitalized Turn Me On for some reason but I'm leaving it)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i bought the game and, as someone who has worked in product development as a westerner in china, i greatly enjoyed the little details like your visa application and the emails from your coworkers

lord help me though, i am reading a datasheet to play a video game. people already made fun of me for playing papers, please

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah it got me, i take back what said about it being pointless

i mean i have a box of arduinos sitting right here buuuuuuttttt i got to the one with the neon light sequencer and i'm thinking "man, there has to be a way to do this with less than three microcontrollers...oh wait, i could do this with a flip flop maybe?...damnit, why isn't there a port expander or something..."

yepp

e: also are teh little graphs at the end a comparison of your solution to other people's?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 10, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how do you discover undocumented instructions? are you just supposed to guess based on what you remember from assembly programming class, or does it come up in the story somehow?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ok so since i'm only up to the infrared sensor i don't think i have seen any of those yet. i think i'd remember.

it is a cool little game. i need to go back to the neon lamp one and optimize.

i learned enough chinese in shanghai to pick out a few characters/words here and there in the story content, but lol @ trying to read a datasheet

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is absolutely the dorkiest game i've ever played. it's the only time i've ever played a video game where i've been kicking myself for making off-by-one errors :allears:

anyway ok here's me on steam for the leaderboard stuff http://steamcommunity.com/id/saagebrush/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabor posted:

saving money by not actually meeting the spec, just making something that passes the test cases, is not only permitted but actively encouraged

i was super excited for the infrared sensor thing bc i misread the spec and thought the off time dial never changed, so i managed to cram all the code into a single MC4000

but the off time does change on the last cycle unfortunately. would be awesome to be able to ship a 100% broken product just because the test cases weren't thorough enough :allears:

Condiv posted:

you're literally making a circuit that buzzes intermittently when a button is pressed. what it adds to some crappy oculus rift knockoff i dunno. our very first assignment is to make a security camera with fake recording and wlan lights

if you read the emails, the device is a "people coming into the room" buzzer so that the guy can avoid, ahem, awkward moments with his girlfriend

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

This doesn't make sense to me, you can't ever end up with acc==0 in any case with that code, only acc==1 and acc==-999.

the tcp instruction has three possible returns

tcp n1 n2

if n1 is greater than n2, the + instructions are enabled
if n2 is greater than n1, the - instructions are enabled
if n1 is equal to n2, then neither set are enabled

so in the aforementioned code, acc is always set to 0, then overwritten with 1 if n1 > n2, or -999 if n1 < n2. if equal acc remains at 0.

e: aahhh gently caress you jabor, this always happens. i overexplain and someone beats me with a more cryptic but shorter answer :mad:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

HOW DOES ANYTHING I DID WORK

programming.rtf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the closest to == would teq with no - branch i guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this game has already affected the way i am writing real code. doing a microcontroller thing where i normally would have just made a bunch of conditional statements and holder variables, but instead i thought about what the bits are really doing and managed it in one line with bitwise operators.

:cool: thanks shenzhen i/o

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

little electric somersaults, near as i can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeh it's 100% logic puzzle game with a programming theme. if you can sit around and learn the rules to settlers of catan or w/e you can play this game too

• Locked thread