Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I fell into InDesign publishing too. I got my first gig out of university writing technical documents. It was my job to write and edit reams of content, and then we'd pass it onto the design team who would get to work typesetting these 200+ page documents.

Over time, I got access to the software myself and went through the entirety of the InDesign tutorials on Lynda.com. I realised I'm in the same boat as you - I'm a geek who loves optimising each style, working out the correct spacing, making sure the document is at maximum readability.

I haven't touched InDesign for a few years now, but it's a great piece of kit. I definitely understand the Excel analogy. InDesign is the place you pull all of your work together from other applications, whether that's Photoshop, Excel (for tables), Word.

If you're interested in working with InDesign more, I'd suggest you look at the world of technical writing and business proposals. You can actually get quite creative with these roles, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread