Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The lack of missions in multiplayer makes it hard to get going. It's nearly 5000 a day just for your starting vehicle maintenance.

Seconding seed/fertilizer bags not being thought out properly. They need to sell a larger bag that holds four times as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Carecat posted:

The lack of missions in multiplayer makes it hard to get going. It's nearly 5000 a day just for your starting vehicle maintenance.

Seconding seed/fertilizer bags not being thought out properly. They need to sell a larger bag that holds four times as much.

I know El had said the same thing last night , he sold the starting harvester and bought a cheaper one to start with much lower operating costs

If you're playing online come join us , we can start building a goonfarm (ladies only) :bigtran:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How do I goon farm? Why would I do that instead of my farm?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I, too, am interested in working a goon farm. Just don't ask for my papers.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I'll possibly buy the game right now and join if someone organizes a MP game.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

We were just playing on a player hosted server , but since the new patch is out we will have a dedicated server

I think El will handle that , so I'll let him update the details of it

Advantages of playing on the goon server; none aside from being cool

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stick Insect posted:

I've tried simsig a few times before, there's plenty of free content for it. I found it very confusing, but it all depends on the map you're playing on. Chicago loop line is pretty easy because trains only pass through, so you don't have to transpose anything, or give special orders.

Got a good free map to recommend? And maybe some tutorials?

The main "training wheels" simulation is Royston, it's stupid simple, has just one small station. It also happens to become really boring since barely anything happens :)
But it's fine for getting a hang of the controls I'd say.

The ones I've played the most are Bristol and Exeter, and Central Scotland while it was a free download. Also a bunch others, but at least those three are quite straight-forward.
Bristol will have you juggling manual level crossings quite a bit. Exeter has several tricky train routes, where if you set a route for a train wrong, it will be really difficult to get it back on the right track (literally). But neither has any lever frames or other extra complicated mechanisms, at least not any you'll have to operate with any regularity.

Another railway signaling simulator is the German StellwerkSim. Two things go against this one, one is it's only available in German, the other is that it requires Java in the browser. Other than that it can (at times) feel rather "casual mode" ;) Typically the first hour of playing an area everything will be mostly smooth running, some late and a few early trains, but nothing but. After one hour of playing, you'll begin getting masses of trackside equipment failures to route around.
StellwerkSim only runs at realtime speed, no pause option. It's designed to be played networked and that's the "standard" mode where you're also expected to communicate with players on the neighboring areas, but they do have an offline mode.
The impressive part is that they have modeled almost the entire German railway network, as well as parts of neighboring countries, and they naturally run with timetables based in reality.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 28, 2016

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So for silage, you just bring grass to the biofuel plant and then pack it down or do you have to do an intermediate step?

I have just been hosting multiplayer on my own machine and will continue to do that until we get a critical mass of goons then I'll grab a dedicated server. find me on steam, same name as here. We've been squatting in the CTS mumble, usually a payday2 channel but I might just throw a discord up for this.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 28, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I'd be down for some Goon MP http://steamcommunity.com/id/kilonum

EDIT: general spergsim discord server is up https://discord.gg/QvEG86q

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 28, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There are a lot of official mods on the Giants page, including more realism mods like crop destruction and placeable seed/fertilizer containers that you can refill from automatically.
http://www.farming-simulator.com/mods.php?lang=en&country=us&title=fs2017&filter=latest&page=0

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

The mod hub is also accessible from within the game, on the main menu hit the Mods item.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 28, 2016

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

So for silage, you just bring grass to the biofuel plant and then pack it down or do you have to do an intermediate step?

I have just been hosting multiplayer on my own machine and will continue to do that until we get a critical mass of goons then I'll grab a dedicated server. find me on steam, same name as here. We've been squatting in the CTS mumble, usually a payday2 channel but I might just throw a discord up for this.

Grab a server now , I'll pitch in $5 a month for it

Plus then it's always up for those of us that work insane hours

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://discord.gg/8QvccE4 come talk to me about farming.

edit: Sappo how do you not have premium.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 28, 2016

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Dedicated server is up, but you gotta come into discord to get the info because communication is half the fun of this game.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Dedicated server is up, but you gotta come into discord to get the info because communication is half the fun of this game.

gently caress I have to speak to you greasy assholes too ?

I'll be home in a few hours

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sappo569 posted:

gently caress I have to speak to you greasy assholes too ?

I'll be home in a few hours

Yes you must.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

How do I toss you :10bux: for dedicated server dollars.

I'll probably be on later tonight est.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Discord invite expired. Please repost.

E: I'm retarded.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

tater_salad posted:

How do I toss you :10bux: for dedicated server dollars.

I'll probably be on later tonight est.

If you want to shoot me a few bucks that's great but this is fairly low cost, however I'll stick my paypal in the discord

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Snaxx posted:

Discord invite expired. Please repost.

There is a box somewhere to make the invite never expire when you make one.

https://discord.gg/8QvccE4

this one shouldn't expire

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah what I was reading is like a 1.50 a slot per month.. so I'll pay for myself and another for a few months till we all get bored.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Yeah what I was reading is like a 1.50 a slot per month.. so I'll pay for myself and another for a few months till we all get bored.

Good plan

As much as into sperg central mode it is easy to get burned out on farming Sim

To keep interest high I suggest carving out a new custom field in the shape of a giant dong

We can plant a forest adjacent to be the balls

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

We farmin right now

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

We farmin right now

http://twitch.tv/kilonum2

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

We're having fun!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

We are having fun.

Sappo: "oh that's a big tree, I wanna cut it down."

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 29, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why do you guys seem to be conducting logging operations... in a city park? :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

We're vigilantes

edit: gently caress the police

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It was all rotted out, some sort of termite I think

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Everyone is helping

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The official song of Goon Acres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb63PdPweDc

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Farm is left in good shape, crops are all planted.. grass was mowed once and windrowed once.
I did mess up and drop some grass at th sheep house a bucket to load the borough will feed them for months I think.

Lots o stuff in storage. I 120xd it so there are crops to tend to for whomever gets online next.
I kicked shodan so we didn't end up paying for several days of vehicle fees while they idled.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Sorry to interrupt farm chat: is American truck simulator worth 15 bucks? I haven't played a sim in decades and inexplicably that game started calling to me this morning. I know that Euro Truck Simulator 2 was a go-to game for years but I don't know how I feel about purchasing something that came out nearly 4 years ago now...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Sorry to interrupt farm chat: is American truck simulator worth 15 bucks? I haven't played a sim in decades and inexplicably that game started calling to me this morning. I know that Euro Truck Simulator 2 was a go-to game for years but I don't know how I feel about purchasing something that came out nearly 4 years ago now...

There is a dedicated truck sim thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761915

I think the current verdict is that ATS is not great right now, but they're working on a big map rescale project that should make American trucks great again.

And ETS is still being supported and getting new content too.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
ATS is worth $15, it is still pretty fun as is and will get better.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Buy it for 15 and wait for the rescale, it's still pretty fun without it but seems small.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thank you for your insight and my apologies for not posting in the right thread, I didn't know it was still active! I'll look into farming sim as well, I've seen it on steam a few times and it has always intrigued me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's not bad even at 35.. I've already for 10 hrs into it at least so it meets my any game that costs me under 4 dollars an hour

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Did anyone get pictures of the silage-express?

We will have to take some tomorrow when it's in full operation (and not crashing the server)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Oh no did it crash the server?