Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I really want to get back into stationeers but the 'friends' I tried playing with couldn't get past the simplest of tasks and quit after an hour or 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

I really want to get back into stationeers but the 'friends' I tried playing with couldn't get past the simplest of tasks and quit after an hour or 2

Can confirm.

I heard they couldn't get a door to work after 2 hours and then quit.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Can confirm.

I heard they couldn't get a door to work after 2 hours and then quit.

yeah you mentioned your friends had issues with that

thank god my friends are smarter and can figure out how to open a door

sigh.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I think my main problem was waste building too fast and slowly strangling on it.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
yeah well I'm too dumb for stationeers, not defensive about it, and persistent so I'm pretty excited for them to build more game on top of the base systems that are so fun to tinker with

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
My favorite part of that game is the tension between how games work and how real life works. Like oxygen tanks are a thing in game that you equip and your bar goes up and oxygen tanks in real life are dangerous things that need to be handled according to strict protocols. So having this game where you equip oxygen tanks to make bars go up and also they are liable to turn into bombs if you handle them incorrectly can be fun.

Anyway half my gas tank building is gone now.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Could be worse, could be a N2O tank. You know, it's way more efficient to weld with N2O.

What's that, "auto ignition temperature"? Don't be silly, I don't drive a car.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

n2o tanks? suddenly that door opening problem is starting to make some sense

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I read a story yesterday about a guy who ran out of fuel gas, hadn't done any work on gas mixing stuff or built an arc welder but he came up with a mcguyver solution: sealed himself in his airlock, made it a vacuum, repurposed the vent to fill a canister, and dropped a bunch of hydrogen and oxygen ice on the floor. Unfortunately it wasn't warm enough to melt the ice so without thinking he pulled out a flare to heat things up.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

30.5 Days posted:

I read a story yesterday about a guy who ran out of fuel gas, hadn't done any work on gas mixing stuff or built an arc welder but he came up with a mcguyver solution: sealed himself in his airlock, made it a vacuum, repurposed the vent to fill a canister, and dropped a bunch of hydrogen and oxygen ice on the floor. Unfortunately it wasn't warm enough to melt the ice so without thinking he pulled out a flare to heat things up.

Problem solved!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

My favorite complex coop hell is Barotrauma where everyone is desperately scrounging for welding fuel and hosing down opiates as the sub is flooding and the player who picked engineer is just like "I made the light in the hallway green"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Or when you have psychosis and see fire and everyone wants to know why the gently caress you're using the extinguisher up.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
So previously in this thread I mentioned Flight of Nova: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069190/Flight_Of_Nova/ which is a game that involves shuttling cargo between ground stations and orbital stations around a completely simulated planet in tiny (relatively) shuttles and trying not to explode.

Turns out it's absolutely rad. The current game offers a bunch of fixed scenarios to blow yourself up with but also an endless "Rogue" mode.

While it lacks any real sense of progression (no money or such to speak of) it does have a rank that goes up and slowly gives you longer/more complex missions.

I've seen it described as ETS2xKSP and I can sort of see the comparison. It's really tickling a space trucking/LEO logistics itch I need to scratch constantly and is filling my head with terrible ideas of starting a passion project of my own that's something more like Mudrunner crossed with KSP.

It's really good. The demo is great and gives you a pretty good taste of what to expect but the full game has lots more things now. 2 different ships you can find in the world to swap to that have totally different handling characteristics and cargo configurations. It has indoor landing sites which are terrifying and great fun.

One of the steam reviews describes it as the most boring game that they love and I would totally agree with that.

It played great on deck too which is always a nice bonus. I have seen a lot of discussion around what controllers to use and I think it supports more intense flight sim setups well too. I recommend checking it out, honestly you'll know if its for you within the window given by steam.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
That sounds right up my alley, I will definitely check it out!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

LeFishy posted:

One of the steam reviews describes it as the most boring game that they love and I would totally agree with that.

This thread is always pushing the envelope of boring. It's like people challenging themselves to enjoy spicy foods, but the opposite.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i bought mon bazou because i wanted a car restoration and driving simulator but mostly it’s turned into a maple syrup production simulator for me. i am a slave to the sizzurp, hungrily eyeing the many upgrades that will make syrup production even more lucrative. this game is the real deal

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Weedle posted:

i bought mon bazou because i wanted a car restoration and driving simulator but mostly it’s turned into a maple syrup production simulator for me. i am a slave to the sizzurp, hungrily eyeing the many upgrades that will make syrup production even more lucrative. this game is the real deal
I have been playing this too mainly because My Summer Car was interesting but the mechanics are exhausting. This game seems to be a better version of that, but yeah, lots of managing firewood and syrup right now.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Slaverian Trucker? Someone described it to me as "MSC meets STALKER", which sounds like my thing, but the art style looks so loving awful I'm really having trouble telling if it's intentional ugliness like Cruelty Squad, or a low-mid effort asset flip.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Nearly every review I'm seeing on this is either referencing what I assume to be a streamer or making jokes that would slay on 9gag ten years ago and I'm getting real crook vibes. Anyone actually tried it?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/756800/Contraband_Police/

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I remember watching a stream of it last year and it just looks like Papers Please but in janky 3D. I seem to remember something about the game also loving to dump ambushes on you when you're transporting prisoners to lock up and other weird things.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009
Probation
I remember the demo playing OK if extremely “PlayWay” in vibes. The reviews have kept me from ever buying it though because it seems like it doubled down on “woah go shoot gun and drive car!” And that sounds like a poo poo part of the game.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

have played it, its a fun game

the papers please part while searching cars for contraband and checking documents is exactly that, but in first person. it's a solid time

the driving / shooting parts are okish but they are spaced out enough so you don't have to really worry about them much

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Blue On Blue posted:

have played it, its a fun game

the papers please part while searching cars for contraband and checking documents is exactly that, but in first person. it's a solid time

the driving / shooting parts are okish but they are spaced out enough so you don't have to really worry about them much

Yup, agree, it's better than I was expecting. Especially since they added an endless mode in addition to the campaign.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I remember the demo playing OK if extremely “PlayWay” in vibes. The reviews have kept me from ever buying it though because it seems like it doubled down on “woah go shoot gun and drive car!” And that sounds like a poo poo part of the game.

I wouldn't say they doubled down on it. In particular, the endless mode lets you fast travel instead of driving and the combat sections are like optional ones you can go do for money. There is a little base defense combat section every so often, but I don't mind that since it gives a reason to keep upgrading your base and guards.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 26, 2024

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009
Probation

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yup, agree, it's better than I was expecting. Especially since they added an endless mode in addition to the campaign.

I wouldn't say they doubled down on it. In particular, the endless mode lets you fast travel instead of driving and the combat sections are like optional ones you can go do for money. There is a little base defense combat section every so often, but I don't mind that since it gives a reason to keep upgrading your base and guards.

Maybe I read too much into some of those reviews, then. I'm half inclined to try it again.. I do think the 'PlayWay' vibe can work for something sort of rote like border inspection, I am just very sensitive to aspects like "appended lovely combat because games sell better if you can shoot someone" in my niche sims.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weedle posted:

update: i have been playing this game for 117 hours. i have fully automated my syrup production, built a secret underground weed-growing bunker, and completely torn down and rebuilt all of the customizable cars multiple times with the best possible parts. this dev has managed to dial in the precise level of complexity i want from a car mechanic sim/farming sim title and wrapped it all up into a supremely addictive stardew-esque cycle of daily tasks and a physics engine that no matter how long i play or how careful i am still has the potential to put me in a slapstick automotive disaster situation

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Weedle posted:

update: i have been playing this game for 117 hours. i have fully automated my syrup production, built a secret underground weed-growing bunker, and completely torn down and rebuilt all of the customizable cars multiple times with the best possible parts. this dev has managed to dial in the precise level of complexity i want from a car mechanic sim/farming sim title and wrapped it all up into a supremely addictive stardew-esque cycle of daily tasks and a physics engine that no matter how long i play or how careful i am still has the potential to put me in a slapstick automotive disaster situation

Mon Bazou is really good, yeah. I stopped playing when I had basically done everything there was to do at the time, and was just going through the motions with my syrup/weed production, but I put almost 100 hours into it and can see going back to it for a fresh run at some point.

It's also a dangerous gateway into My Summer Car

Weedle
May 31, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's also a dangerous gateway into My Summer Car

lol yeah i decided to try mon bazou because my summer car looks interesting to me but i didn't know if i would vibe with how player-unfriendly it seems to be. but after playing this to death i'm back on the msc steam page going hmmm.... hmmmmmmmmm............

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

This loving thread. I played Mon Bazou for 10 hours over the weekend because of you, Weedle. I redirected the MSC Steam page to 127.0.0.1 in hosts because the last time I waded into the water on a game in here I wound up with a $300 Run-8 spend.

At least the worst I could do here is a $30 game, and it's not like this genre is large.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just cheat at MSC so I can focus on building the car. Then the car will be destroyed by a simple bump in the road, or just my not playing after its complete, and then I get to start it again. Just another day in samsara.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Squiggle posted:

This loving thread. I played Mon Bazou for 10 hours over the weekend because of you, Weedle.

it really gets its hooks in huh. there's always more stuff to do tomorrow!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does Mon Bazou require you to do the syrup stuff? Looks like tons of fun but I just wanna do the car stuff in it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Kvlt! posted:

Does Mon Bazou require you to do the syrup stuff? Looks like tons of fun but I just wanna do the car stuff in it.
Yeah, it's the main source of revenue, and stuff is really expensive, so it seems mandatory to me. It really bogged me down in the game because you really need to maximize your barrels each week to make enough to get to the point where you can hook up electricity and automate it. In the mean time you are non-stop managing syrup, managing trees, making sure you have wood available at all times, and for a while all that money just goes back in to syrup because you need more barrels, you need the thing that doubles your output, then you need to climb that hill to get electricity, then buy the electric furnace.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Keep talking to the guy at the gas station and eventually he'll let you into the junkyard where you can steal radios and sell them on the reg, it helps cut the syrup up a bit

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

it’s not required but it is very lucrative. you can also make money through logging as well as growing and selling crops but logging doesn’t pay much and agriculture takes a long time to get going (plant your weed and taters asap after starting the game, don’t wait around like i did). you don’t have to constantly be doing syrup, your payouts are spread over six weekends so you can just drop off a few barrels’ worth every couple of days and maintain a healthy weekly income. you will be spending a lot of time planting and felling trees until you get hooked up to the power grid tho

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah the secret to enjoying MSC is to cheat JUST enough

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

hailthefish posted:

I enjoy doing the jobs... a few times, but not so much that I have to fund the repairs entirely that way, particularly after the septic tank nerf.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

hailthefish posted:

I know the game pretty well at this point, but I still install a mod to show me whether the wrench I'm using is too big or too small, and something that lets me bring up a minimap if I need it. And I still look up a guide for the drat electrical wiring.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009
Probation
I think my only hangup with MSC in its current form is that the very “end game” gets pretty grindy to get the cash for some of the high end upgrades. (But seconding that you should cheat just a little bit for big annoyances.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The main problem with the MSC end game is no one is on IRC anymore so you might as well get the NOS instead of the computer and go out in a blaze of glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Is Railroaders any good? It looks right up my alley as someone who quite likes run8 and derail valley. Adding an actual game progression to the “play” of run8 sounds like it would tickle my fancy a whole lot.

£25 isn’t a small outlay for me these days and feels like about the upper limit for an early access train game for me so I want to really know. All the positive reviews on steam really speak to me and people have like 100s of hours of playtime so I imagine it’s a safe bet but always good to get extra opinions.