Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Classicaloid is an original anime directed by Yoichi Fujita (Gintama, Osomatsu-san) with scripts from Miya Asakawa (Polar Bear Cafe), Shu Matsubara (Osomatsu-san), and others. It's billed as a "musical action-comedy" and features remixes of classical music. Each composer is assigned one modern producer to remix their pieces. New episodes air Saturdays at 4:00am PDT/11:00am GMT on Crunchyroll.

Synopsis:

quote:

High school students Kanae and Sōsuke live in a provincial town that is trying to revitalize itself with music. One day, suddenly "Classicaloid" versions of Beethoven and Mozart appear in front of Kanae and Sōsuke. When the suspicious-looking Classicaloids play music they call "mujik," it has a strange power: stars start to fall, and giant robots appear. Now every day is tumultuous. Eventually, more Classicaloids start to appear such as Bach, Chopin, and Schubert. (source: ANN)

Main Cast:

quote:

Sosuke (Nobunaga Shimazaki), Mozart (Yuuki Kaji), Beethoven (Tomokazu Sugita), Kanae (Mikako Komatsu), a shoebill (???)

PVs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4o9Xjp4M9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U2YT9b4QjI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Major Ricardo posted:

Well, eventually they'll run out of dead classical composers that people actually have heard of.

i'll reveal my power level here and say that i hadn't heard of Badarzewska before this anime, so it's already gotten to that point for me. :v:
anyway i'm glad that the cast is broadening, though i would like them to let things rest a bit after Schubert shows up next week (which looks to be hilarious). this week's ep also had probably the first remix i actually liked (Nocturne no.2)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this week's episode was absolutely amazing. great sense of schubert's character, great comedy, some of the best animation so far, and we even got a reveal of what's really up with the classicaloids! i would've liked to see how schubert interacted with the cast, but the punchline of his last minute failure setting him back even further was too good to pass up. i'm sure he'll join everyone eventually...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it seems weird to feel like we're heading to a climax only 1/5 of the way through, but i won't complain. it entertains me to no end that Bach actually does just speak in musical directions, which his lackeys have to interpret. :allears:

also for anybody doubting the power of a penguin: https://twitter.com/NatGeoChannel/status/794645411919065088

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i didn't know Mozart composed for Ali Project, lol

this felt like a weaker episode, if only because it couldn't really reconcile the different tones (and why were Clasky & Klasky in it?). i'm not sure having the deer be alive at the end was a particularly great choice either. but at least the Motes/Shuu rivalry is entertaining, and Motes' mujik/the resulting confessions of worthlessness were good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fell behind due to internet issues but holy poo poo, the past two weeks have seen the show in top form. haven't looked around for writing credits but both eps were super evocative of Osomatsu-san, and 11 especially had me dying. definite uptick in expressive animation for that episode as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Thriller/Turkish March mashup was absolutely insane. I tend to fall off this show for weeks at a time but it has never stopped surprising me when I get around to catching up.

• Locked thread