Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Duuuuude.

This would barely make sense if you were doing the work yourself.

I don't want to bring you down and i realize it's beyond getting out of at this point but by the time you get the basic body stitched up, you're going to be into it for the cost of a running, driving, semi-restored rust free car with all the vin tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

dont listen to him, you're a job creator and a junkyard savior

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Powershift posted:

Duuuuude.

This would barely make sense if you were doing the work yourself.

I don't want to bring you down and i realize it's beyond getting out of at this point but by the time you get the basic body stitched up, you're going to be into it for the cost of a running, driving, semi-restored rust free car with all the vin tags.

Hey, my VIN situation is resolved! :D

You are entirely correct, but from the beginning I'm not aiming at restoring the car in any classic sense. if just having a nice looking Chevelle to drive then yes I'm spending like an idiot.

If I bought a car in decent shape I would be gutting it and throwing large chunks of it away regardless. My goal for this project goes pretty far past just having a nice looking Chevelle to drive. Who knows, maybe I am spending like an idiot. I don't discount that possibility. I own my house, my retirement is funded and I don't have kids. I don't see a problem chasing a dream project. So many of my friends talk about all the poo poo they wanted to do like this but none of them actually do it. I thought I would try something different and actually go through it.

EDIT: Is what I'm doing bad form in this sub?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's not bad form, what you're doing is rad, but i think you're going to encounter a pile of stuff that you wish you still had, like fiddly little bits that are hard to find, and other stuff that would be easier to put back together if you had hands on taking it apart.

Like you could re-build a lego model fairly well if you started with a model and tore it down into it's pieces instead of starting with some kid's sandwich bag of sticky legos.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You mean the fiddly bits you throw out when gutting an interior only to find out you need them a year down the road?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Powershift posted:

It's not bad form, what you're doing is rad, but i think you're going to encounter a pile of stuff that you wish you still had, like fiddly little bits that are hard to find, and other stuff that would be easier to put back together if you had hands on taking it apart.

Like you could re-build a lego model fairly well if you started with a model and tore it down into it's pieces instead of starting with some kid's sandwich bag of sticky legos.

Yeah, I expect some of that will happen. In that regard you are completely right. I know now that there are some ways I wish my car came with more car bits attached to it but I honestly didn't know that when I started this. That's a lesson that will inevitably cost me later.

I bought a copy of the original factory assembly manual to try to head that off as I go actually. I'm making a running list of all of the components and whether or not I can still get them, and if not whether they can be replaced with something newer.
There will definitely be some problem areas though, like I can get most of the window bits except for the guide channels that attach to the glass. Fortunately I actually have those so I can see what I can do to recondition them. Some parts I can't find at all like the tail light fender extensions on the rear. Those are partially rusted out but I will have to pay to get them brought back up to decent because I cannot physically find replacements. I was pretty happy to find a lot more parts reproductions made than I expected at least.

If there are any areas that are know issues I'm more that happy to hear about them so I can go look for alternatives early or start trying to find salvage parts. Hell, any advice at all is welcomed. I fully admit that I am new to this.

I expect some pain and I expect it not to be easy. I'm cool with that.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Chevelle of Theseus is not a bad name, but if you want something snappier "Lazarus" is on the table at this point

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Isn't this supposed to be Automotive Insanity?

Yeah what OP is doing is not a reasonable thing to do, but he's got the cash and the will to do it. I'm pretty stoked for this project, especially with that nutty frame thing that's the apparent end game. I think it's ridiculous and I would never spend that kind of money on a car, but I also don't care if I ever went over 80 miles an hour. Like, for the money you're going to be throwing at it who cares if you can't find some original bit, just make something different.

I support your crazy dream project, OP.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

For information's sake alone the thread is totally worth it. Nothing wrong with spending money if you have money. I mean, in one way or another all our threads are both celebrations of insanity and cautionary tales.

So I say thanks for sharing and please continue.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Chevelle of Theseus is not a bad name, but if you want something snappier "Lazarus" is on the table at this point

That's pretty good.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Lazarus is a lot snappier, true, but Theseus is a lot more accurate. Lazarus would be more appropriate for a salvage title or similar. It's still on the table though!

In other news, things are arriving!

All the metal should be here by mid March-ish.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

All the metal is not here.

The only thing missing now is the cowl vent grille which is not apparently an item that is stocked, it is made to order and was supposed to be shipped March 14th but is now pushed back to April 10th. It may be pushed back again, but at this point it's a waiting game.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Small update: Everything is now in and I am waiting for a spot at the welder, maybe 4-6 weeks I am told.

Picked up a stainless bolt kit for all the external screws and bolts since I, well, don't have any of the original hardware, and a new set of door hinges and associated hardware to go with the hood hinges so it can all be mounted. The vent grille was the last piece to come in.

I learned that compared to everything else I have done car hardware just doesn't ship fast. There are a pile of things that arrive weeks or months after I order them. Some vendors don't even have functioning shopfronts where I can order from them directly. This is definitely an experience!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Good news bad news time!

The good news is the car is at the metal shop, starting with this:

He ended up finding this:

poo poo!

poo poo! poo poo!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BitBasher posted:

Good news bad news time!

The good news is the car is at the metal shop, starting with this:

He ended up finding this:

poo poo!

poo poo! poo poo!

Holy mother of poo poo. It's like a Fiat. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At least there's nothing left to find poorly patched and rusted out, right?

right?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Powershift posted:

At least there's nothing left to find poorly patched and rusted out, right?

right?

More or less. The only place it can happen now is inside the rear quarter panel skin, which will get peeked into when the mini tubs get installed.

On the upside, since everything else is getting replaced this really doesn't add that much to the overall bill...

How on earth does it rust in a spot that, as far as I can tell, wasn't even really open to the outside? I guess I'll blame 50 years in Florida...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It doesn't take much of a gap for water to get in. It takes a much larger gap to let it dry effectively. Hell, it could've rusted its way in, then let a bunch of water in that couldn't evaporate quickly.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Godholio posted:

It doesn't take much of a gap for water to get in. It takes a much larger gap to let it dry effectively. Hell, it could've rusted its way in, then let a bunch of water in that couldn't evaporate quickly.

This who experience makes me thankful I live in Vegas. Cars here seem nigh invulnerable to rust.

My metal guy is sending new pics every day or every other day but I'm just posting ones I think are interesting unless someone wants a play by play of replacing most all of the metal on a Chevelle....

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

BitBasher posted:

unless someone wants a play by play of replacing most all of the metal on a Chevelle....

As mentioned before, this is AI, and I think it would be remiss to not inundate the thread with the systematic re-skinning of the Chevelle.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

As mentioned before, this is AI, and I think it would be remiss to not inundate the thread with the systematic re-skinning of the Chevelle.

+1

:justpost:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

All right then!

I'll make each days worth of photos its own post then, to keep them separated.

This is from 7/03/17 the day after I dropped it off, Metal prepped surface rust sanded and metal etch primer applied.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

07-05-2013

Started cutting for the outside A pillar support and found memories of Florida. Florida apparently eats cars from the inside out.

Danny (My metal guy) is putting together a list of additional metal to buy which will definitely include inside A pillars and inside and outside rocker panels. Also possibly all the cowl metal which would make it some kind of welding Yahtzee where all the metal in front of the C pillar was new. Hah.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 7, 2017

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Rad pics. It's so cathartic seeing a whole rusty panel just thrown out and replaced with a
brand new one. With all the shiny pieces coming in I can't help but think of...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm just amazed/jealous that you can still buy new replacement panels for some old cars...

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm just amazed/jealous that you can still buy new replacement panels for some old cars...

That is what's amazing about desirable American cars, you could just buy all the sheet metal and an off-the-shelf chassis and build a car from scratch from all the resources available.

edit: here's a cool article about year one throwing a '69 'vert together from off-the-shelf parts for SEMA http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0905phr-1969-chevy-camaro/

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 7, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A lot of the original tooling was just sold off by the manufacturer. Whoever's making the aluminum finned valve covers for 60s Corvette 327s is still using the original molds, complete with the crack that developed mid 1966.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Today is largely a mirror of the last one.

Also just ordered both inner A pillars AKA cowl hinge panels, Inner pillar post sections, and both lower cowl/upper firewall sections along with both outer rockers.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

BitBasher posted:

Today is largely a mirror of the last one.

Also just ordered both inner A pillars AKA cowl hinge panels, Inner pillar post sections, and both lower cowl/upper firewall sections along with both outer rockers.

I guess you knew what was coming on the driver's side A piller internals after the carnage on the passenger side, though?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I guess you knew what was coming on the driver's side A piller internals after the carnage on the passenger side, though?

Oh yeah. I just had not ordered anything until Danny got back to me and told me exactly what to order. Only questionable part left is the inside of the rear quarters, and let's face it I am already expecting the worst there.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

What's still original at this point? Sad to think you could've just bought an entire new body by now and saved money.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Unsane posted:

What's still original at this point? Sad to think you could've just bought an entire new body by now and saved money.

By the time I'm done? Not much. Inside of the C pillars I believe. I think that's it.

EDIT: Also the struts that support the windshield wipers above the lower cowl upper section!

Also, no one sells new bodies for a 66.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 8, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BitBasher posted:

Also, no one sells new bodies for a 66.

Sure they do... just as a DIY assembly package. :D

Nice project, very AI. Proceed.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sweet project, and imo don't sweat the unexpected stuff. All projects have that.

It's completely possible that you could have paid more for complete car, and found similar or worse rust. You seem reasonable about your expectations, I think this project will go fine!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Frankly, something like this is my dream project. You're literally building the car you want.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

That process where the guys from Mighty Car Mods dipped the entire body of the car makes sense in that situation.

Tho I suspect with your body if you did that you'd wind up with a loose collection of semi solid panels in the bottom of the tank after all the rust dissolved.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Tho I suspect with your body if you did that you'd wind up with a loose collection of semi solid panels in the bottom of the tank after all the rust dissolved.

Funny story about that. I just heard from the metal guy after peeking in the rear quarter panels. He wants to talk in person.

Hmmmm. :ohdear:

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 10, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe he found bundles of money in there :haw:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Powershift posted:

Maybe if he believes in an iron oxide based economy! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

I think the welder found his retirement in there.