Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Or maybe the remnants of fish from the time the car spent in the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BitBasher posted:

Funny story about that. I just heard from the metal guy after peeking in the rear quarter panels. He wants to talk in person.

Hmmmm. :ohdear:

Ruh roh. :captainpop:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Disclaimer: Even if this car is hosed this does not end the project. I will have the Chevelle, it would only alter the time frame.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
He found Uranium and now you've got to wait 4.5 billion years for the radiation level to go down?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

I neet Danny tomorrow night but I am told its not the end of the world.

The short story is that here is enough degradation that its still sound enough for a normal restoration but not the crazy rear end 165mph and snappy handling I am aiming to hit with it. He is not comfortable with its condition for that at all.

Both he and the paint guy said I should be able to resell without much loss to someone planning a more normal restoration, and they have a line on several 66 chevelles locally i can move the project to that we can borescope first to make sure they are intact.

Ill get the full story tomorrow.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tube. Chassis.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

They sound like good guys who don't want their customers to die a fiery death.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

MrYenko posted:

Tube. Chassis.

Not emptyquoting. I, uh, may be able to adapt a design if someone were to take some measurements...

(I am not sure you should do this)

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Tube. Chassis.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Not emptyquoting. I, uh, may be able to adapt a design if someone were to take some measurements...

(I am not sure you should do this)

I love the idea, but it's going to end up on one of these with an IRS, so I think I'm in pretty good shape in this category. It's designed for a Chevelle roll center and geometry so it should work pretty well.

BigPaddy posted:

They sound like good guys who don't want their customers to die a fiery death.

Yeah, and I appreciate it!

EDIT: Wait, sell me, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a tube chassis?

EDIT EDIT: Hmmmmmmmmmm...

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 11, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Time to nascarlo that motherfucker.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

BitBasher posted:

EDIT: Wait, sell me, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a tube chassis?

Well, gets to what you're going for. I take the view that, ultimately, the end state for anything driven at speed that still is required to look like a normal car is a tube chassis silhouette car. This way you can move all the geometry to wherever is best, properly brace the geometry to the car's structure, and have driver protection integrated properly. For an illustration of what I'm talking about (and to toot my own horn for stuff I'm tinkering with for fun in Solidworks)

Which happens to be an RX-7.

Now, in the real world, going that far isn't really conducive to luxuries like, hell I dunno, working doors, or safely driving without a helmet. Which is why it's sort of a joke. And, well, my view that the end state for everything driven at speed is a tube chassis silhouette car is not exactly universally shared.

The one you linked is a drag oriented tube chassis which is built one way, circle track stuff is built a different way, and the bit I just posted is intended to be a roadrace car which is built a third way.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Build race car. Put fake body around race car to make it look like the car you want. In your case it would be a real body.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

I laughed pretty hard at that. I'll pass. I want an interior and I would like to be able to get in and out.

Perhaps I'll just slightly adjust my speed target down.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's a question of duty cycle, too, so to speak.

If you want to wing it out to 165mph at a mile event or something once or twice a decade, that's one thing. On the other hand, If you're planning on competing in those types of events regularly, your chances of balling it up at some point increase with some rapidity, and a lot of the driver safety enhancements that come with a racecar chassis become very attractive.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

MrYenko posted:

It's a question of duty cycle, too, so to speak.

If you want to wing it out to 165mph at a mile event or something once or twice a decade, that's one thing. On the other hand, If you're planning on competing in those types of events regularly, your chances of balling it up at some point increase with some rapidity, and a lot of the driver safety enhancements that come with a racecar chassis become very attractive.

It's a single 90 or so mile run on a public but shut down highway that I would do once, maybe twice but unlikely. I would have to do runs with a max speed of 124, 140 and finally 165 one a year , must to the previous classes to move up. The 124 class I may do repeatedly but the 165 I only plan to do once. On the 165 max speed run the average speed over 90 miles still will be an average target speed of 130-150mph.

Silver State Classic Challenge

Of course, I realized earlier today that the speed of Indy cars in 1966 was 166 for the pole position with an average speed of 144.3, so perhaps I am aiming too high here.

I would also like to do some lower speed road courses and general racing for fun. I want something I can just drive. I love driving for the gently caress of it.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 12, 2017

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Trip report. Talked to the metal guy, it's not really bad. I was a victim of the telephone game where the story got worse before it got to me.

We are proceeding, just somewhat more metal is being replaced :v:

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
This is good.

I was scared it was the Yellow mustang all over again...

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Apparently the vast majority of customers for things like this get frustrated when something takes more than a short period of time, and need to see things done rapidly, which this is not going to be. Also, some more rear metal needs to be replaced like the package tray, rear filler panel and trunk floor extensions, among a few other things. I guess he has had people in the past freak the hell out when not everything goes perfectly and there are setbacks, and that's what he was expecting.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Always good to approach these things rationally, proper repair shouldn't be rushed.

Good on you.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Oh, that's good to hear. I do also like the kind of proactive "this may take longer than you like doing it this way, can we help you find another shell so you don't just bail?" thing. At least that's my read on it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Oh, that's good to hear. I do also like the kind of proactive "this may take longer than you like doing it this way, can we help you find another shell so you don't just bail?" thing. At least that's my read on it.

That's exactly what he proposed. He had a customer with a shell that looked like it was in better shape and wouldn't take as long but would cost me more money, and offered me the option of getting the car faster doing it that way.

However, he couldn't vouch for the sheet metal in that car or guarantee that something hadn't been already replaced with third party components or inferior parts, only that it was intact. The end result is that I'm replacing a lot of this car but I know exactly what is going into it and I know what is original and what is replaced and fabricated. It's going to take me longer but I actually prefer that I know every single thing about it in and out and I know the entire thing will be quality work with no surprises waiting for me when he is finished. I told him I'm find with him taking longer and I appreciate him always giving me the options.

In a related note also buying the metal for:
Both outer rear wheelhouses
Both trunk floor extensions
Full Trunk floor*
Both trunk gutters
Full package tray
Bumper filler panel

*(optional, but the trunk floor is in 3 pieces with a mediocre welding job and since everything around it is being replaced, replacing it with a single piece with braces adds rigidity without really adding much to welding costs.)

Work will start again as soon as the inner A pillar hinge support panels come in.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 13, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That's it, with the deep excavation going on with this car you quite literally know the thing inside out and can rest easy knowing it's all super solid. That's the smart thing to do. Sure it'll take a while but perfection does... Car's rad.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
So just how much of the original car will be left?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Kaptainballistik posted:

So just how much of the original car will be left?

Current count:

Inside C pillars/back seat left and right side panels.
front brace above upper cowl panel and two struts that hold the windshield wipers
Inner roof braces and front and back roof braces at top of glass, although the front support may be re-fabricated

ummmm....

Oh, the rear seat back support braces, those are fine, but I think the previous owner may have swapped them so I don't think they count. Same with the full rear quarter panels on both sides including the sail panels and the right and left side front cowl skins.

I think it can be summed up with: not much. Hence the Chevelle of Theseus joke earlier in the thread.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
So this car is eventually going to have a rollbar and 5 point harness? Those are required to run the 165mph class along with a fire suit and helmet.

The rollbar almost precludes it from being a good daily or anything close to it as you have to wear a helmet to avoid banging your head on it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

So this car is eventually going to have a rollbar and 5 point harness? Those are required to run the 165mph class along with a fire suit and helmet.

The rollbar almost precludes it from being a good daily or anything close to it as you have to wear a helmet to avoid banging your head on it.

I plan to install the rollbar for the race and remove it after, because it basically makes it a poo poo DD. As this project goes on I'm kind of internally struggling with that part.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think in the grand scheme of your build budget, roll cage removal and install is a minor expense. Just pre plan the connection points and removal somehow. Maybe use asbestos carpet.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Looks like updates now will be weekly-ish. The first batch of metal is in and was delivered so he can get to work on the inner A pillars and inner A pillar hinge panels that were rusted to poo poo.

The second load of metal is due on the 27th coming in by freight and contains, well, pretty much everything except the two cowl panels which are back ordered everywhere.

Sheet metal for the sheet metal god!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want to sit in it and make vroom vroom noises.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
This is impressive stuff. The complete reconstruction of a 1966 Chevelle. Thinking about the compromised metal inside all the pillars where you can't see it makes me wonder what the integrity of all these pro touring cars really is (unless they underwent similar treatments (or are just a rusty shell sitting on a $20,000 bespoke chassis)).

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Gonna call it, this really is getting close to project binky levels of "Bodywork Repairs"

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ferremit posted:

Gonna call it, this really is getting close to project binky levels of "Bodywork Repairs"

Make the noise

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

Time for a brew and get the funk on

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Ferremit posted:

Except luckily for BitBasher's metal guy, he's just cutting out old poo poo and welding in pre-made panels that /should/ be sized to fit. Bad Obsession is really doing God's work by custom making -every- -single- -piece-.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, my guy will only have to fabricate some limited pieces. Primarily some roof supports that are questionable and cannot be bought. Top of the windshield and the lips on each side of there the top of the door glass meets the roof. Also I will probably somewhat reinforce the top of the A pillars where they meet the roof, and a little surrounding area.

He will also likely need to fab new trunk hinge support struts because the ABC Performance wide wheel tubs replacing the inner wheelhouses are wider by an inch and a half and displace those struts so they have to be moved, rebuilt or straight fabbed. Hey, we gotta get 335s in there somehow!

I asked if this was the most metal he had replaced on a car and he actually laughed and said "nah man, you have no idea" which was pretty terrifying.

I'm considering a license plate of "66 AMD" now, maybe little 3d printed chromed Auto Metal Direct logos instead of the Chevy logos on the sides. :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
THESEUS is exactly 7 letters though.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Raluek posted:

THESEUS is exactly 7 letters though.

Yes, and it's pretty far in the lead right now for the plate, but it's tempered by the fact that I have had to explain the Ship of Theseus to literally every single person I have mentioned it to.

Well, that and it would be THSEUS or something because the retro blue and white plates here in NV allow only the period correct 6 characters.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BitBasher posted:

Yes, and it's pretty far in the lead right now for the plate, but it's tempered by the fact that I have had to explain the Ship of Theseus to literally every single person I have mentioned it to.

Well, that and it would be THSEUS or something because the retro blue and white plates here in NV allow only the period correct 6 characters.

Okay, what about GPA AXE instead? Maybe people know that analogy better

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Raluek posted:

Okay, what about GPA AXE instead? Maybe people know that analogy better

...I don't know that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BitBasher posted:

...I don't know that one?

Grandpa's Axe is the modern telling of the Ship of Theseus.

To use the version from John Dies at the End :

Suppose that one day, for some very solid and totally legitimate reasons, you have to chop another man's head off with an axe.

But during the follow-through swing, the wooden axe handle snaps in two. So you go to the hardware store to replace the wooden handle, explaining away the bloodstains on your shirt as barbecue sauce.

The next day you are working in your garage when you're attacked by an animal that looks like a cross between a badger and an anaconda. A badgerconda.

Anyway, you kill the animal with the axe, but in the killing blow the axe head hits the concrete floor and shatters. So you go to the hardware store and replace the axe head.

The day after that you're in your garage again when the man whose head you cut off appears as a reanimated zombie. You raise your trusty axe to defend yourself, and the zombie man points to it and says "That's the axe that killed me!"

...Is he right?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 26, 2017