Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Garin posted:

I am not -quite- that desperate just yet. I can also only read katakana so it would just be a mess.

hard mode :v:

for real though, FF: Mobius is a lot of fun. It has a more modern battle system-- kind of like a really simplified Lightning Returns. I wouldn't recommend Brave Exvius, that one's stupidly grindy and pulls have (or at least had) ridiculously low rates. Brave Frontier's alright, even if its glory days are long gone-- might be making a comeback, actually. GUMI's the company that develops that one though, and they're awful people who pulled Chain Chronicle, an actual good game :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

We'll see if I end up pulling on Keeper's Choice. On the one hand picking up Shout or SG would be awesome, but on the other my account doesn't really benefit much from Shared Soul Breaks or another Edincoat. Maybe I'll do it once and grab one of the EnElement ones but that also depends on how quick Eiko 1 rolls up as I'm still at just 12 Mithril after pulling on Cloud 1.

Also succumbed to the siren song of Fang's OSB and/or Lightning's BSB 2 last night and pulled again on Fang 1. Got my first JP 1/11 for another Knight of Etro armor. Oh well, I kind of knew it was a bad idea so whatever. I at least have the FFII banner between now and the VI banner I really want to pull on.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
This. Ultimate. Is. Terrible. I. Hate. It. So. Much.

It wouldn't be so bad if I had native SG or SS2, but RW lasts like 40% of the duration I need it to.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
My A-team keeled over and died in the FF8 ultimate fight, I needed to completely rejigger everything into mage meta with a massive AoE focus to get through. They just have too much damage for you to slowly take them out one by one, even with wall and proshellga.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I could do it with native wall, proshellga and one of my medicas easily because I can take them out fast enough one by one. I just don't have native wall. Or a lot of aoe.

I do happen to have Crystal Cross for Yuffie though..and I could make a couple Aegis Strikes and veils...hmmm.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Kylra posted:

I could do it with native wall, proshellga and one of my medicas easily because I can take them out fast enough one by one. I just don't have native wall. Or a lot of aoe.

I do happen to have Crystal Cross for Yuffie though..and I could make a couple Aegis Strikes and veils...hmmm.
Do you use anyone with Dancer 4*? The 4* attack down dance was critical for me.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Other than Tyro not really. I was using the 3* one and I just can't take the constant boomerang swords without stoneskin/sg.

E: I don't have enough orbs to make an attack down dance at the moment anyway.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 9, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kylra posted:

If you want I can put up an FF8 geared Lightning RW that should be able to near singlehandedly clear waves two and three with maybe a biongrenade and a summon to back it up.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If you need AOE I've set my RW to Garnets BSB. XFtD is the code

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
New new new new thread neato

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
As someone without* native Shout and with just-started-playing-a-month-ago hones, my suggestion for Esthar Invasion Ultimate is to do what I did; Beat down the two Terminators in wave 1, play very carefully, slowly beat down the remaining three soldiers with physicals, then use two or three bars worth of hopefully multiple target Soul Break/spam your Medicas/do whatever you can with SB bars to smash the remaining two waves. RWs help a lot too-I used Paladin Force/Sacred Circle spam, since I have a couple of Platinum Shields.

(I think the best RW option on the physical end is probably Machinations, but no one runs that.)

Works even better if you can get wave three to come out into the middle of a Soul Break chargeup.

Yes, there's several assumptions there, including that you at least have multiple flavors of good mitigation, as well as the fact that it works far better if you have some good native Soul Breaks to use while you're buffed up and ready, since RWs aren't buffable...

What I'm saying here is that this Ultimate suuuuuuuuuuucks. And took me like ten minutes an attempt once I hit on that strat. :smith:

*Without native Shout when I did that fight. 2/11 tonight, Platinum Sword/Excalibur V, trinity complete :unsmith:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Huh, I just noticed there's a big hole in my FFIX Synergy. Both of the IX characters that have Support can only use Daggers and Spears.

My IX Physical Synergy is two swords.

The Dagger of Resolve is the best weapon Freya and Quina can equip.

Man now I'm tempted to pull on the net IX Banners. Which, of course, has relics for both of them. But they have it set up so that both banners each only have one Spear, which is what'd I want.

Overall the second Banner looks more tempting to me. No dupes on that one, plus Zidane and Vivi's BSB's look amazing (And Zidane's would even help with my IX Support issue.), plus Angel Snack is a HoTE Clone, always good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr Pepper posted:

Huh, I just noticed there's a big hole in my FFIX Synergy. Both of the IX characters that have Support can only use Daggers and Spears.

My IX Physical Synergy is two swords.

The Dagger of Resolve is the best weapon Freya and Quina can equip.

Man now I'm tempted to pull on the net IX Banners. Which, of course, has relics for both of them. But they have it set up so that both banners each only have one Spear, which is what'd I want.

Overall the second Banner looks more tempting to me. No dupes on that one, plus Zidane and Vivi's BSB's look amazing (And Zidane's would even help with my IX Support issue.), plus Angel Snack is a HoTE Clone, always good.

The first 9 banner is a much stronger banner overall. Quina's hairpin is a Shout magnitude boostga, Eiko and Beatrix bursts are legit...

Not to mention a strong Freya SSB spear, Kuja's enDark gloves, and a second holy sword in Steiner's Excalibur. Banner two doesn't come close.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 9, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

If you want I can put up an FF8 geared Lightning RW that should be able to near singlehandedly clear waves two and three with maybe a biongrenade and a summon to back it up.
That would be cool. I can probably annihilate the U+ due to holy vulnerability, but I just can't quite stay alive well enough in the U to clear it without a ton of reloads and going through a 10 minute first round to build up gauge (or using a mythril and hoping I can actually clear it before monday). Closest I have gotten is about 1/2 through the last wave. It's not entirely out of reach, just a huge pain to get.

SageAcrin posted:

As someone without* native Shout and with just-started-playing-a-month-ago hones, my suggestion for Esthar Invasion Ultimate is to do what I did; Beat down the two Terminators in wave 1, play very carefully, slowly beat down the remaining three soldiers with physicals, then use two or three bars worth of hopefully multiple target Soul Break
I got all this up to about here. My best multi-target soul breaks are Yuffie and Exdeath's SSBs. Actually, I think those are my only relic AoE SBs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CaptainPsyko posted:

The first 9 banner is a much stronger banner overall. Quina's hairpin is a Shout magnitude boostga, Eiko and Beatrix bursts are legit...

But I want a spear. :qq:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr Pepper posted:

But I want a spear. :qq:

The spear on banner one is better than the spear on banner two.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kylra posted:

That would be cool. I can probably annihilate the U+ due to holy vulnerability, but I just can't quite stay alive well enough in the U to clear it without a ton of reloads and going through a 10 minute first round to build up gauge (or using a mythril and hoping I can actually clear it before monday). Closest I have gotten is about 1/2 through the last wave. It's not entirely out of reach, just a huge pain to get.

I got all this up to about here. My best multi-target soul breaks are Yuffie and Exdeath's SSBs. Actually, I think those are my only relic AoE SBs.

9qBd is Lightning with ~515 FF8 synergy attack, Crushing Blow, and +20% thunder damage.

Good luck!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

SageAcrin posted:

*Without native Shout when I did that fight. 2/11 tonight, Platinum Sword/Excalibur V, trinity complete :unsmith:
Lucky wall haver! That's really huge for being able to survive the boomerang sword onslaught.

If I wasn't saving to pull on Eiko 1 while it is up I would totally be trying to Platinum Sword and SG though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
There are a few duplicates on that Tyro II banner for me (Platinum Sword, Physician's Staff, and Excalibur) but I figure I'd still like to get SG, and worse case scenario I'll eventually get like a reforged sword out of the deal.

Ended up pulling the Stardust Rod and a Platinum Sword, so Terra is back to being my best magic user, and I have a second FFT synergy sword. Would roll again.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Tomorrow! (Along with the rest of the outstanding MC2s- Gordon, Josef, Leila, Ricard, Desch, Tellah, and Fusoya.)

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
Does an MC2 help Gordon from being such a baby wiener though? I like FF2 dudes and have his flame shield but man he's a wuss.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just want to say that I and the 20+ Ramza RWs I'm following appreciate the thread title.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Kylra posted:

In fairness, repeatedly spamming Gauntlet would be pretty pretty good for that fight, as it is both no charge time and grants MT Blink. Not sure if you actually have her leveled, but hey! It's not a bad option.

I mean, I only had Pyroclasm. Well, and Darkborn Blade but I decided having a mage in to Ramuh spam was better than having Leon in to scowl at them until he built up Soul Breaks, as my hones really, really suck and Basch was eating up a lot of the applicable abilities for him.

... not sure that was the best decision in retrospect, but hey, I got through...

Kylra posted:

Lucky wall haver! That's really huge for being able to survive the boomerang sword onslaught.

If I wasn't saving to pull on Eiko 1 while it is up I would totally be trying to Platinum Sword and SG though.

Funny story about that-I started right when that recent Buff Banner was up, my first pulls were on a Lucky Draw/Keeper 1 and got some basic tools(Pyroclasm on the first, Darkborn Blade/Cyclone Grimoire/Tailwind on the second, I think it was?), then saw that come up, checked with some friends, confirmed that it was indeed as good as I expected...

... went 0/11.

... then, because I am very good at planning Stamina refreshes from gems, and because the earlygame has that many of them from gems, went 1/11 (Shotgun) and finally 3/11 (two Platinum Shields for Apoc Shield and FINALLY Stoneskin II), just grinding up mythril before it closed.

It was sort of hilarious.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 9, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

SageAcrin posted:

In fairness, repeatedly spamming Gauntlet would be pretty pretty good for that fight, as it is both no charge time and grants MT Blink. Not sure if you actually have her leveled, but hey! It's not a bad option.
There is absolutely no way to spam Gauntlet fast enough to make up for up to 18 physical hits per hasted round that do from 20% to 90% of your hp bar. It helps a little, but it's not anywhere close to a silver bullet. There's just way too many incoming attacks.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 9, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

When do RWs refresh? I think I need a slightly different tactic to ensure I live to round 3 with this lightning RW. Is the RW used up if you flee the dungeon instead of complete it?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah, RWs are consumed the moment you start a fight in a Dungeon They refresh with the start of a new day, when you get your login bonuses.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Yay, thanks for the new OP! :toot:

Meanwhile, I would really love the pull on Keeper's Select 2 for a guaranteed elemental boost armor.... but I have every single non-BSB item on the banner, and I know I'd just get duplicate SG's or Platinum Swords or something dumb like that.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Well, I guess it will have to be later today that I try this again then. I went 20 tries and didn't make it past round 1 with that setup. Going to have to stack up all the mitigation I have and just try to live long enough for Yuffie and a couple hits of Aegis Strike to make it past round 1.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I beat the Ultimate first try with a mixed-physical and mage party.

Cloud w/Finishing Touch
Rinoa w/Sorceress's Awakening
Yuffie w/Clear Tranquil and Gauntlet (used both)
Garnet w/Dagger of Resolve (died before she could use it)
Tyro w/Sentinel's Grimoire

Lost Garnet in Wave 3 but still got all medals except one for damage. I fully admit my specific relics helped a LOT though and not everyone can field that kind of setup.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Someone else had a similar Lightning setup. Made it to round 3 with physical blinks up. They started with full ATB: shotgun shotgun attack boomerang sword attack 2/5 down that I needed to help clean up and everyone else at half.

At least I got the RW off and they went to half health. What I might have to do is clear both waves 1 and 2 then double RW the last. The second wave is probably mildly less dangerous to me since I have two magic blinks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Looking forward to trying out a crappy Mage team for Diamond Weapon. Hopefully I can get away with just using Cait Sith as a healer and bringing Aerith along for DPS. It would be kinda funny to Dive Red XIII just so he can use Meltdown for the fight, but eh. Red's gonna be coming along for Hastega so I can RW Hope.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'm contemplating pulling on Keeper's Choice 2 since SG is the only thing on it I already have, but I don't think the free relics are all that great anymore except for maybe Red Armlet. I'd rather wait for 3 for the free enelement SBs, and I've had no trouble beating endgame content using my RW slot for Shout so it's not like having it natively is that big of a deal. It's not going anywhere, so maybe I'll reassess after my big mythril spending spree ends with the Onion Knight event. If I luck out and get everything I want without having to make a bunch of pulls (lol), it might make more sense to take a shot at Platinum Sword rather than waiting another couple months for the next Keeper's Choice set to drop.

Or maybe I'll get it from the lucky draw on Tuesday and this entire line of thought will be moot. But I'm not exactly counting on that with my gacha luck as it's been lately.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Grrflrkle. Got it to just the two soldiers in wave 3 left with a tiny bit of hp.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

IT'S FINALLY DEAD AFTER LIKE 70 ATTEMPTS.

Screw trying to master it though. I was 1 medal off.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Kylra posted:

Grrflrkle. Got it to just the two soldiers in wave 3 left with a tiny bit of hp.

I know your pain, I decided to try and do 140 Hojo JP side and got him down to maybe 10,000 Hp left on his second form before he started systematically nuking my party. :smith:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Dragon down! That felt good after the trial that was the Ultimate.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kylra posted:

IT'S FINALLY DEAD AFTER LIKE 70 ATTEMPTS.

Screw trying to master it though. I was 1 medal off.

Grats!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Now it's back to the mythril and stamina mines.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Apparently good fortune abounds as I managed to take down Hojo as well after a slight realignment. Did lost Fang at the end of the fight but managed to pull through with everyone else and win pretty soundly.

If there's one thing I've learned from my JP experience it is definitely this: get you that sweet Y'shtola BSB because it is amazing, just the initial burst heal combined with an HP barrier is good enough but throw on that instant cast several thousand HP heal too? So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

LornMarkus posted:

We'll see if I end up pulling on Keeper's Choice. On the one hand picking up Shout or SG would be awesome, but on the other my account doesn't really benefit much from Shared Soul Breaks or another Edincoat. Maybe I'll do it once and grab one of the EnElement ones but that also depends on how quick Eiko 1 rolls up as I'm still at just 12 Mithril after pulling on Cloud 1.
It's this Wednesday.

• Locked thread