Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

LornMarkus posted:

Apparently good fortune abounds as I managed to take down Hojo as well after a slight realignment. Did lost Fang at the end of the fight but managed to pull through with everyone else and win pretty soundly.

If there's one thing I've learned from my JP experience it is definitely this: get you that sweet Y'shtola BSB because it is amazing, just the initial burst heal combined with an HP barrier is good enough but throw on that instant cast several thousand HP heal too? So good.
I would love a Y'shtola BSB but it would kind of conflict with her being my only source of Wall :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I would love a Y'shtola BSB but it would kind of conflict with her being my only source of Wall :(

Honestly, there's enough other mitigation, now and coming, that, while Wall never stops being amazing (obviously), the tuning of fights is such that it's much less of a universal mandatory at this point, and there are often compelling reasons to, say, prioritize medicas and such over it. Even more so nice stuff like the Yshtola Burst shows up with damage shield effects or stuff like guts that make OHKO's avoidable without spamming SG all the time.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

CaptainPsyko posted:

Honestly, there's enough other mitigation, now and coming, that, while Wall never stops being amazing (obviously), the tuning of fights is such that it's much less of a universal mandatory at this point, and there are often compelling reasons to, say, prioritize medicas and such over it. Even more so nice stuff like the Yshtola Burst shows up with damage shield effects or stuff like guts that make OHKO's avoidable without spamming SG all the time.
Also she can theoretically spam Wrath, so she's got it better than most healers.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Kylra posted:

It's this Wednesday.

Well shitcock. We'll see if I even manage to pull on Eiko 1 then. :v:

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah, I've actually hard fairly good results pairing it with a RW Guardian Grimoire (Tyro's USB) and alternating them. Only reason I don't do it more is because native Shout means I don't benefit much from the Hastega element.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Hogama posted:

Tomorrow! (Along with the rest of the outstanding MC2s- Gordon, Josef, Leila, Ricard, Desch, Tellah, and Fusoya.)

Are they seriously adding this poo poo 18 hours into Sundaily. ffffffffff

I'm so tempted to pull on Keeper's Choice 2. Like, I already have SG and Butz's Excalibur, and I kinda gave up on getting Ramza's Shout (at this point I have both Tailwind and Unsung Hero so I've got things to use SB bars on if I bring him along). But... the allure of finally having Shout! And of course TERROR's BSB, just for the hell of it. But I don't know about the freebie relics, I don't have any EnFire relics so none of the fire boosts would come in handy at the moment. ffff

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shock Trooper posted:

Are they seriously adding this poo poo 18 hours into Sundaily. ffffffffff

I'm so tempted to pull on Keeper's Choice 2. Like, I already have SG and Butz's Excalibur, and I kinda gave up on getting Ramza's Shout (at this point I have both Tailwind and Unsung Hero so I've got things to use SB bars on if I bring him along). But... the allure of finally having Shout! And of course TERROR's BSB, just for the hell of it. But I don't know about the freebie relics, I don't have any EnFire relics so none of the fire boosts would come in handy at the moment. ffff

You have a long while to pull relics to match with the choices. No need to stress about pulling now.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Who to break first, Ramza or Bartz...
Who am I kidding. Bartz needs to continue being the killing machine that he is. Also hooray for getting the final set of MC2s just when I'm running out of people to throw into my RM farming party. Monday won't be so pointless after all!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Alxprit posted:

Who to break first, Ramza or Bartz...
Who am I kidding. Bartz needs to continue being the killing machine that he is. Also hooray for getting the final set of MC2s just when I'm running out of people to throw into my RM farming party. Monday won't be so pointless after all!

I'm debating between Pecil and Lightning. I think I'll leave it up to whether or not I can get Beatrix's BSB when the FFIX event drops

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I should probably get Luneth to 80. That +40% EXP record materia is hella tempting.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Luneth will be my first break since he makes all the other RM4 grinds way easier. (You get the RM4 once a character hits 99)

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

I heeded the Siren's Song, and I should seriously start avoiding Banners with SG: I'm now the "proud" owner of a 8* Copy (with a second Rosetta'd spare). Alphie should better be grateful when the XIV Event rolls out...

Thankfully, TERROR also got her BSB and I have a reason to exchange a Soul for Vanille.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm going for Luneth. Unlike all the long time players, I don't have a reserve of Growth Eggs waiting for me to help level everyone to 99 quickly, so Luneth is definitely priority #1. It's also another reason to pull on Onion 1 too, if he's going to be at 99 I'd like something to use with him.

After that, I might just take it slow deciding until the next Orbfest where I'll probably be spending a lot of Mythril getting people to level 65, then 80, then 99.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 9, 2016

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

You can only pick a bonus item once on the Keeper's Choice banners, right?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Edit: ^ You get to pick a relic every time you drop an 11x, up to five pulls.

Is the boost to wind damage from Oath's Veil enough to make it worth a pull on Keeper's Choice 2? I have Platinum Sword and Stardust Rod already (plus Oerba's Boon, Dreamstage, and White Materia, so I really don't need Physician's Staff+, and while I'd like SG or Masamune I don't need them enough to drop a pull.

PhysicsFrenzy fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 9, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Edit: ^ could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure you get to pick a relic every time you drop an 11x. There may be a limit on how many pulls you can drop. Five, I think?

Is the boost to wind damage from Oath's Veil enough to make it worth a pull on Keeper's Choice 2? I have Platinum Sword and Stardust Rod already, and while I'd like SG or Masamune I don't need them enough to drop a pull.

I think he's asking could he, for example, choose multiple oath's veils, one each time, or do they have to be different?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think he's asking could he, for example, choose multiple oath's veils, one each time, or do they have to be different?

Whoops, no clue then!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I have no idea what I'm doing but this seems kinda fun. Should I just be focusing on blasting the basic storymode stuff to begin with? I kinda got distracted by those special events that let me unlock characters, but they devour my crap stamina limit.

I also have a ton of growth eggs for some reason, so should I just go ahead and burn these on whoever or hold on to them until I have some clue what I'm doing?

The relic page reminds me of a Geocities site from the early 2000s.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You can choose the same item as many times as you want.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's what I was asking, yes.

I don't really need anything from the banner itself and I'm saving mythril for other things, but if I get lucky on what I'm saving for then some of the elemental gear would be a nice boost.

8* Red Armlet

Boogaloo Shrimp fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 9, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Wilekat posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing but this seems kinda fun. Should I just be focusing on blasting the basic storymode stuff to begin with? I kinda got distracted by those special events that let me unlock characters, but they devour my crap stamina limit.

I also have a ton of growth eggs for some reason, so should I just go ahead and burn these on whoever or hold on to them until I have some clue what I'm doing?

The relic page reminds me of a Geocities site from the early 2000s.

Realm-based events are good, they're time-limited and contain the best bang for your stamina buck by far reward-wise. Always get as far as you can in realm-based events before they're gone. Daily events come back and their progress is saved from week to week so there's no need to rush them just yet. That said, Sundays are EXP daily event days and experience is an extremely valuable resource when you're starting out (and in general, really, I never skip a Sundaily myself) so I'd consider doing them to get a squad of five characters up to level 80 as soon as possible. The rest of the time, though, you are indeed better off hitting the story dungeons to build up a large Mythril pool and to get your Stamina up so you can get by without checking your phone every three hours. Once story dungeons become too hard or the Stamina intake starts slowing down, which should come at around 120 Stamina, you can reassess your priorities. As for eggs, what characters are you using and what relics do you have? When you're starting off, your best characters will always be characters you have unique Soul Break equipment for. Post what items you've pulled here and we can guide you a little better.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
My Keeper's Choice 2 pull was pretty lackluster. I was hoping for a Shout or a Wall, but instead got Excalibur (V) and Terra's Stardust Rod. I know I should be thankful to have a second BSB, but I rarely use black mages and seem to get the most relics for them.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

My Keeper's Choice 2 pull was pretty lackluster. I was hoping for a Shout or a Wall, but instead got Excalibur (V) and Terra's Stardust Rod. I know I should be thankful to have a second BSB, but I rarely use black mages and seem to get the most relics for them.

Well then, if you have so many relics for them, consider using them more? We're at the beginning of the era of stacking +Mag buffs and mixed parties and chaingas. No reason to shackle yourself to shout anymore.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Gil has been such a non-issue for so long that all the reforging I did finally drained my coffers. I guess it's a good thing I have an obscene amount of Giant Adamantite to sell and cover the cost of a lot of this. I guess I might actually have to grind a gil daily one of these days.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Kylra posted:

There is absolutely no way to spam Gauntlet fast enough to make up for up to 18 physical hits per hasted round that do from 20% to 90% of your hp bar. It helps a little, but it's not anywhere close to a silver bullet. There's just way too many incoming attacks.

Oh, yeah, I'm not saying it's perfect mitigation that trivializes the fight. I'm saying it helps. Pyroclasm's MT Power Breakdown+solid damage helped a lot for me, and I still got ganked over, and over, and over...

That fight's dumb and largely comes down to RNG in the end. I've got friends that have been playing since launch that didn't nail it first try, because they didn't have 4/5* MT nuclear weapons.

Especially given the stuff this fight rewards. I mean, Bio Grenade and the 4* lightning summon crew aren't theoretically bad, but who the heck prioritizes them...?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SageAcrin posted:

Especially given the stuff this fight rewards. I mean, Bio Grenade and the 4* lightning summon crew aren't theoretically bad, but who the heck prioritizes them...?

Anyone who's done the Summon Nightmare ought to have at least one 4* Lightning summon lying around.

Bio Grenade is kinda poo poo for that fight since half the guys are immune to it. Rather just use Sky Grinder/Flashing Blade/Tornado Strike.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
So i figured since i got ragnarok within two pulls and the next banner i care about is in about a month, I'd drop an 11x on Selphie 1 in the hopes of Crystal Gloves for m'boy Zell (with almasy revolver, strange vision, and sorceress gown as runner up prizes).

Man this week has really made up for that 0/80 over the summer :woop: :woop:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

SageAcrin posted:

Oh, yeah, I'm not saying it's perfect mitigation that trivializes the fight. I'm saying it helps. Pyroclasm's MT Power Breakdown+solid damage helped a lot for me, and I still got ganked over, and over, and over...

That fight's dumb and largely comes down to RNG in the end. I've got friends that have been playing since launch that didn't nail it first try, because they didn't have 4/5* MT nuclear weapons.

Playing long enough means you just accumulate skills like that naturally. Having a solid set of AoE skills is just something you wanna build up towards anyways, and most of them are 4* or 5* skills.

That said I only brought Ramuh, since I don't have 4* lightning summon yet. Actual heavy lifting was done by Meteor/Maduin/Flashing Blade.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah, I mean, out of the long time friend pool, I specifically had one with an R3 Bahamut on top of the things I said, who promptly smashed it to pieces.

So, I know what you mean there too.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I ended up using Aegis Strike r1 x 2, Demonsblood r1 and Swift Bolt r3 plus one of those fancy Lightning RWs.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Could someone fill me in on the pro tier method for farming Sundaily? I can't remotely come close to autoattacking my way through, but I figure I'm probably unaware of some easy methods for plowing through it efficiently.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Drop a Burst RW (I'm a big fan of Fenrir Overdrive for this-super easy to find, has Wheel Slash for very solid MT non-elemental damage, auto-battle will pick Wheel Slash) on it with some nanny character who is at decent but not ridiculous levels, and have them smash through the first two waves, then use all your ability charges and native Soul Breaks on the third.

Alternatively, put a decent 3+ hones summon on a low level summoner, make sure they have a good weapon, and watch as the levelups recharge them over and over.

I'm doing both today!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

That's what I was asking, yes.

I don't really need anything from the banner itself and I'm saving mythril for other things, but if I get lucky on what I'm saving for then some of the elemental gear would be a nice boost.

8* Red Armlet

If it's like the first Keeper's Choice, then yeah you can choose the same relic multiple times. Get you 5 Red Armlets if you want, go nuts!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

victrix posted:

Could someone fill me in on the pro tier method for farming Sundaily? I can't remotely come close to autoattacking my way through, but I figure I'm probably unaware of some easy methods for plowing through it efficiently.
My strategy:
1) Drawtaliate and kill one round regularly.
2) At start of second stage, use Fenrir Overdrive RW. This usually kills both things.
3) Whirl slash everything to death. This also usually kills both things in one shot.
4) Repeat 2-3 for third stage.

If you have a good aoe BSB you can probably Dr. Mogs the first round with a similar strategy then go into RW.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Coming up on 50 mythril, so will be time to do my first pull I guess. Any recommendations on which of these banners to pull if you're brand new?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Wilekat posted:

Coming up on 50 mythril, so will be time to do my first pull I guess. Any recommendations on which of these banners to pull if you're brand new?

Keeper 2.

There's really nothing even remotely as good up right now for a newbie-two of the strongest abilities in the game and a bunch of solid options, and a free 5* armor. (Pick one that has a Shared soul break-but not Firewyrm Gloves as that Soul Break sucks-or an elemental strengthen. Gaia Gear and Red Cap are pretty good, Red Armlet gets hype for being good stats, universal and +fire, Oath Veil gets hype for strengthening a hard to strengthen element, last I checked.)

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

If you literally have nothing, then Keeper's Selection vol.2, the first cloud banner with Aerith's group heal (the one with Apocalypse as the header), or the upcoming banner with Eiko's group heal BSB are all probably good choices. I'd probably pull on Cloud 1 or Eiko 1 first if I were starting right now. Cloud's OSB can probably carry through a lot of stuff if you happen to get it, and Eiko's BSB is one of the better ones if you have a physical group that I can tell. The stuff on vol. 2 is better once you have a few things to use them with, and that will be open much longer than either Cloud 1 or Eiko 1 to boot.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

If you're doing the long view thing, I think Cloud OSB'll be back notably before Eiko's BSB, and on multiple banners-by then you can pretty much take a crack at it(It's not high odds-odds of getting an OSB on an 11-pull right now are around 16% or so, probably.) with a secondary shot at whatever you don't have, as those are pretty diverse banners.

Eiko's is probably the banner to pull on when it pops up, if you're looking that way, as such... but by then you'll have another 50 Mythril(you get Mythril really fast when you first start, if you're trying) before it closes, if you're playing pretty steady. There's supposed to be a few 5x Mythril giveaways coming up, too, based on some banners that popped up.

Edit: Do note, though; Cloud OSB and Eiko BSB banners are really close in quality, IMO, so if you just like FF7 or FF9 more or something, just pull on the one you like more. :v:

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 9, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Yeah, Eiko's is probably a better longer term pick, but if you happened to get Ragnarok it's probably the better usable-it-by-itself relic.

Hamelin and Ragnarok VII both return for OSBfest, but some of the other stuff like Lightbringer IX and Crystal Comb don't.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Wilekat posted:

The Newest Keeper's Choice.

It has a lot of the Bread & Butter Relics to look out for. Specially for someone with no relics.

There's also the next Dungeon Update Lucky Draw so you could try getting some extra 25 Mythril during next week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kylra posted:

Yeah, Eiko's is probably a better longer term pick, but if you happened to get Ragnarok it's probably the better usable-it-by-itself relic.

Hamelin and Ragnarok VII both return for OSBfest, but some of the other stuff like Lightbringer IX and Crystal Comb don't.

There's no guarantee that Hamelin will return for OSBfest. There's a good chance, since it's a pretty hyped Burst, but no guarantees.

• Locked thread