Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ceritus posted:

finalfantasyfans.txt

I may have ventured slightly into hyperbole, it's true :shobon:

Except for Hope, gently caress Hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Heaven Spacey posted:

I may have ventured slightly into hyperbole, it's true :shobon:

Except for Hope, gently caress Hope.

:hfive:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Hope is a bit better in the sequels, but he's definitively annoying in the first game. I did end up liking him a little, and the sequence where Snow says all the worst possible things to Hope without noticing how much Hope hates him was fun.

I'm curious if whether he was voiced better in Japanese or something, because Hope and Lightning are certainly pretty popular in Japan. He got his OSB before Lightning too.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

pichupal posted:

Hope is a bit better in the sequels, but he's definitively annoying in the first game. I did end up liking him a little, and the sequence where Snow says all the worst possible things to Hope without noticing how much Hope hates him was fun.

I'm curious if whether he was voiced better in Japanese or something, because Hope and Lightning are certainly pretty popular in Japan. He got his OSB before Lightning too.

The JP voice actors are apparently well known and good. So are the english ones, but they were told to base their mannerisms off of the japanese voice actors, or something, and so we wound up with Ali Hillis doing a stilted deadpan. :shrug:I don't think that has too much to do with why Hope and Lightning are more popular over there, though.

Chalk me up as someone who started of detesting hope and then mained him in the end game because he grew as a character and grew on me :shobon: The scene with Snow is pretty loving great and helped immensely.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

...well, it was a fun few weeks having 100% RM's collected but that's not going to happen again for a few months!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

For those counting at home this is the 3rd off-banner thing I've pulled in like a week. I got a Werebuster (II) from Triple Burst 5, a Tigerclaw (XIII) from Cloud OSB 1, and this from Cloud OSB 2.

I don't know why I even try sometimes. :shepicide:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Got Vincent's Shortbarrel out of the 100 gem pull. With that and the Shotgun, Vincent is second only to Terra for Best Offensive Magic User on my A-Team.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Well. Getting this on my first ever pull means I'm never getting anything ever again right?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
U++ was an absolute joke of a fight, even with my crummy mage synergy.

The only change from this ss was I equipped the acc from the U fight on red for more fire resistance.

One damage medal loss due to his scripted attacks. Most of his magic pierces res so shellga isn't needed, but magic breakdown + full break is essential (preferably the dances since breaks miss when core is closed). Mages have it far far easier.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is it a bad idea to use mythril for a stamina recharge on these sundailies? It's really tempting to refresh it and keep pushing levels, but I know a lot of people recommend never using mythril for stamina.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is it a bad idea to use mythril for a stamina recharge on these sundailies? It's really tempting to refresh it and keep pushing levels, but I know a lot of people recommend never using mythril for stamina.

Save mythril refreshes for orbfests. They offer slightly less XP than the Sundaily, but you get guaranteed orb and gil drops from every enemy. Dailies just aren't worth it, on their own.

KnoxZone posted:

The only change from this ss was I equipped the acc from the U fight on red for more fire resistance.

One damage medal loss due to his scripted attacks. Most of his magic pierces res so shellga isn't needed, but magic breakdown + full break is essential (preferably the dances since breaks miss when core is closed). Mages have it far far easier.

Oh good, that's encouraging. I have almost no mage gear for FFVII, but hopefully I can pull it off anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Crossposting because derp.

U++:

Like said, easier than I thought even with my gimmicky team. Vincent and Red RWed between turns of each other, and then resorted to Thundaja (thanks Dagger of Resolve) and Meltdown/Mori once Burst ran out. I'm glad I had Aerith as double healer, actually. Slower (since Red was hitting about 7-8k with Thundaja and about 12k with Purification), but safer.

He hits very light, especially if you have Fire resist gear to blunt his magical attacks. Physicals are more dangerous, but since everyone should be in the back row that alleviates it somewhat. Since his attacks ignore RES after the 70% mark, Shellga is of limited benefit.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dollar pull got me the Partisan. The one thing I already had. Sigh

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

KnoxZone posted:

I had even better mage synergy than you, so I went with your plan, aced it in one go. I need to stop underestimating mages these days. (It also helps that I have 3 of Aerith's rod relics, so sticks all around.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also for those who drew Crystal Cross, remember that even though Gauntlet won't do any damage while the core is closed, it's still an instant Physical Blink. Not as good as Clear Tranquil, but I got a use out of it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Looks like this game is forcing me to use a mage team. I'm trying diamond with a physical team and he is murdering me. I didn't expect him to do THAT much damage. Looks like back row stuff is necessary. I HATE mages, so this will be irritating.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kawalimus posted:

Looks like this game is forcing me to use a mage team. I'm trying diamond with a physical team and he is murdering me. I didn't expect him to do THAT much damage. Looks like back row stuff is necessary. I HATE mages, so this will be irritating.

He actually hits harder and faster while in his core, it's just that having everyone in the back row really weakens his physicals. Exposing his core also means he has a higher chance to do his ST attacks. The only other flaw with a physical team (other than having to spend two turns to expose him) is that once he drops low he can use Ultimate Diamond Flash - if he uses it twice at low health that's three medals lost. He won't use it while in his Core other than the forced ones while switching between phases.

If your Support has nothing better to do, the Thunderstroke RM makes your Attacks instant cast, so that'll speed things up slightly.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

He actually hits harder and faster while in his core, it's just that having everyone in the back row really weakens his physicals. Exposing his core also means he has a higher chance to do his ST attacks. The only other flaw with a physical team (other than having to spend two turns to expose him) is that once he drops low he can use Ultimate Diamond Flash - if he uses it twice at low health that's three medals lost. He won't use it while in his Core other than the forced ones while switching between phases.

If your Support has nothing better to do, the Thunderstroke RM makes your Attacks instant cast, so that'll speed things up slightly.

I didn't realize also that he used fire for his magic. I could just mitigate that too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Seems like the Ultimates aren't too bad. Good. I'll ace them tomorrow and get my first MC3. Though, do they really need to move the Rosetta Stone into the Ultimate Battle's rewards? That seems odd after we've had it in the +++ for so long.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I had a harder time with the Ultimate+ than the Ultimate++, go figure. Having Medica is almost necessary for it.

Also, using a Holy/Fire attack counts as a fire attack even if it only exploits the holy weakness, whomp.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
2 masamunes, an Excalibur, Platinum Sword, and Red hat from my Vol II pull. Good haul?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Dealing 70k damage with Finishing Touch sure was useful on the final form of the U+ since everyone had run out of hones on their abilities. :v:

I'll do the U++ tomorrow. I have a lot of good mages, just hardly any in FFVII (only Yuffie and Cait Sith). I won't be going for CM so hopefully that'll help make it easier.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I beat him with my very last hone. Had a bunch of Aeris relics that I used for mage sticks. Came down to the very last one I had, but I beat him. God do I hate mages though. Had to S/L a few times because I screwed up, as I always do. This is why I won't be able to do multiplayer stuff because I will be screwing up every single turn.

I am screwed on next week's boss. Unless I get a pull sent from heaven.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 10, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

FFFFFFFucking Partisan on my dollar.

I kinda wanted Seph's BSB, but eh. Still a 5*. Also a banner I might drop dosh on again.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
So when are the next batch of MC III's coming out?

and the next batch? and so on

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shock Trooper posted:

...well, it was a fun few weeks having 100% RM's collected but that's not going to happen again for a few months!

Try "ever". To this date, JP has more MC3s available than MC3 Lodes distributed, and they keep adding more at an exponential rate. And I did the heretical thing and used my Lode on Ramza since he's on my A-team for pretty much ever if I run physical. I don't care if Luneth makes getting the others easier, I don't use Luneth.

Speaking of my A-team, though, I said "gently caress Cid Missions" and just physicalled the hell out of the three ultimates. Shout/Maria's Song/Dreamstage/Combat King + Lifebane/Reunion. :getin: Had a few issues with Diamond Weapon focus-firing people when I was trying to plink open his core, but made it through with little issues.

For those aiming to CM it, mage meta with Hope BSB RW is absolutely the way to go; Divine Judgement tears the guy apart and you don't have to worry about whether its chest is closed or open.

Shoenin posted:

We get 14-15 (so roughly one for each game, give or take) about monthly from here on out, if JP's schedule is stuck to.

We get one MC3 Lode an event, in the U+ battle rewards.

I'm not sure about characters getting specific MC3s, as far as I know that's only happened for OK and Orlandu.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 10, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Crossposting from the other thread because oops.

Ultimate, Ultimate+, and Ultimate++ all mastered, and CM cleared.

Ultimate and Ultimate+ were torn apart by the A-team without significant effort; Draco Zombie actually was a bit threatening and almost took Celes down at one point but there was just too much ridiculous stuff for it to actually be a serious problem.

Ultimate++ CM team:

Yuffie (LV70) | Hardened Assassin | 4-point Shuriken (5* RS)/Edincoat (5* RS)/Flame Cloak | Fire Veil R5/Phantasm R3 (SB: Landscaper)
Vincent (LV67) | Devotion | Striking Staff (5* RS)/Edincoat (5* RS)/Flame Cloak | Thundaja R4/Alexander R3 (SB: none)
Red XIII (LV80) | Blood of Espers | Magic Comb+ (5*+ RS)/Gold Armlet (5* RS)/Cerberus Relief (5* RS) | Firaja R4/Waterja R4 (SSB: Stardust Ray)
Cait Sith (LV65) | Knight's Charge | Fairy Flute+/Precious Watch+ (5*+ RS)/Blaze Armlet | Heathen Frolic Sarabande R2/Multi Break R2 (SB: Shared SB AOE Heal from Precious Watch+)
Aerith (LV72) | Battleforged | Candle Rod (5* RS)/Wizard Bracelet (5* RS)/Tetra Elemental (5* RS) | Curaja R4/Protectga R1 (SB: Healing Wind)

RW: Sheep Song

That was...way too easy. No one died (although a crit stomp almost did get Cait Sith), his damage output was easily managable, and his large suite of elemental weaknesses meant I was able ot just tear him apart in spite of his massive defenses. Afer

I had more trouble with the Draco Zombie using my A-team than I did Diamond Weapon with the CM team, so yeah.

Oh, and word of advice: The Draco Zombie uses Pandora's Box every single time that it dies, not JUST the last time. Which is ironic considering how Draco Zombies could only ever use Pandora's Box once per SAVE FILE in FF7 proper.

Now to figure out who should get the first MC3. Do I give it to PCecil and eliminate any worries about not hitting the ATK softcap with Shout up while using the FF4 Excalibur? Do I give it to Ramza and just solidify his position as main support even further? Do I throw it to Tyro to help compensate for his poor stats (and to maybe justify putting him on the A-team, although whether I'd keep Y'sholta on the team and have Tyro supply Keeper's Tome or drop Y'sholta for Rosa and have Tyro supply Sentinel's Grimoire is something I haven't figured out yet)? Or do I just give it to Luneth, egg him to 99 for the RM4, and then go use that 40% chance for double EXP materia to grind other characters up faster?

widespread posted:

I kinda wanted Seph's BSB, but eh. Still a 5*. Also a banner I might drop dosh on again.

As someone who got Sephiroth's BSB from a dollar pull when it debuted, it's always been disappointing whenever I used it. To be fair, it has gotten better over time rather than worse (because the increasing DEF of enemies over time makes the DEF-ignoring first burst command significantly nicer to have access too), but the other issue is that Sephiroth doesn't have much of a skill-set to work with anyways if the fight isn't AOE-based...and neither of his burst commands are AOE.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Shoenin posted:

Four events from now is the Yuna Wedding event, which I have dubbed the "I Can Fly" event for funny reasons. That has the next batch. The next batch after that is the next FF8 event, and then after that is the Hope Academy FF13 event, and then after that is the FF4 Cid event, and then finally most recently is the Rufus event.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Shoenin posted:

Here's a handy little spreadsheet of character's Level 99 RMs seperated into tabs based on release batch, complete with tentative estimated arrival date for Global.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vfIEF4fdRIFV96z7HnqhFhmky7klCw9TcOAvv6f-ZQM/edit

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

widespread posted:

Also pulled this on my dollar. At least it's synergy.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Midgar zolom is basically "use cloud's OSB: the fight" so that went nice and easily! Gonna try dragon zombie later tonight when I'm not post-debate drunk.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

A hoard of growth eggs make Luneth's RM4 obsolete. At least for the first few MCIIIs.

I've maxed his Record Dive, but still need 13 more Vitality 4* motes to complete his Paladin sphere. No regrets.

I could replace the Saint Cross with Aegis Strike for AoE, or swap the Azure Blade for Battleforged to just spam Paladin Force. Either way he is the ultimate force of Holy purification.

Too bad I didn't pull Lightbringer IX.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
For anyone that wants a good laugh; Pick a good stats Cloud OSB RW for Midgar Zolom Ultimate, pack physical mitigation, make sure he's hit with Armor Breakdown, then when he starts using Beta enough to annoy you, press the button twice.

That was... not an impressive fight due to that. 85000 off a 550 Cloud RW after the double break was good times, but I screwed it up and used it too early so I sort of kind of had a fight. Maybe.

Edit: Ah, good, someone beat me to sharing the strat and I missed it. Still, do it, stab the snake.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It's going to take all my willpower to not an MC3 lode on Bartz when Luneth, Zidane, and Cloud have such good record materia. :(

I love the music in FF6 but I find basically every other aspect of it really dull. It's the same thing with FF4. It's not even a situation of me being biased against that era of games because FF5 is probably #3 on my ~tier list~ and I also liked FF1 and Chrono Trigger. I've really tried to get into it, but I just can't; the furthest I've ever gotten is the floating continent. I have played Awful Fantasy 3 to completion

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

At this point I believe I've got down the future boss conditions based on educated guessing and a bit of research, but I'm still a bit stuck on two of them because they refer to extremely specific translations of mechanics. Where should I look for assistance on these? (The conditions in question are from FF8's Seifer in Lunatic Pandora 3, and FF14's Titan in The Navel.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NGDBSS posted:

At this point I believe I've got down the future boss conditions based on educated guessing and a bit of research, but I'm still a bit stuck on two of them because they refer to extremely specific translations of mechanics. Where should I look for assistance on these? (The conditions in question are from FF8's Seifer in Lunatic Pandora 3, and FF14's Titan in The Navel.)

Lunatic Pandora 3: Exploit Seifer's weakness to Poison, reduce his ATK, kill him before he uses Zantetusken Reverse (which he uses specifically as a counter to Odin, so just don't).

The Navel: Reduce Titan's MAG, reduce Titan's DEF, destroy Titan's Heart without 5 turns.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Aww, the half cost dungeons in JP ended. :sigh:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
FF8 - Don't get hit by Zantetsuken Reverse. If I'm reading Dr. Mog's hints correctly, it only trigger if you use Odin against him so it should be easy to avoid.

Edit: way too slow,

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

I have three relics on the ragnarok banner (but no ragnarok), two relics from the keeper's choice banner (Shout but no SG), and one relic from the newest FF7 banner. Should I pull from one of these or just wait until the next OSB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zebia posted:

I have three relics on the ragnarok banner (but no ragnarok), two relics from the keeper's choice banner (Shout but no SG), and one relic from the newest FF7 banner. Should I pull from one of these or just wait until the next OSB?

No, don't pull on these unless you're desperately fiending for +fire damage armor from the keepers choice. (And even then, don't, it's a bad reason to pull on it's own.)

That said, waiting for the next OSB release isn't neccesarily the right call either. (Though it might be). The Eiko 1 banner in a few days is very strong. Especially if you have Tidus's burst, or still want/need a +holy sword for your Knights to use everywhere.

• Locked thread