Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Lunatic Pandora 3: Exploit Seifer's weakness to Poison, reduce his ATK, kill him before he uses Zantetusken Reverse (which he uses specifically as a counter to Odin, so just don't).

The Navel: Reduce Titan's MAG, reduce Titan's DEF, destroy Titan's Heart without 5 turns.
I see. I've never played FF8, so all my knowledge of it is secondhand. I"m familiar with the Seifer-Odin-Gilgamesh bit, but not the implementation. (Also it looks like there's a condition about lowering his DEF but not his ATK?) And I'd thought that was roughly what was going on with Titan, but Google Translate couldn't quite handle it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
i love that cid's goggles boost wind damage, thank you Cid for making Cloud's OSB even better between your gear and your imperil

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Wow, the second choice banner is basically the definition of garbage 5* pulls. That's an... interesting choice. The banner itself is way more appealing, holy poo poo, Shout and Sentinel's Grimoire?

EDIT: That can't be right, is Luneth getting his third level break before he gets his record sphere? I find it frankly insane that he's the best choice for your first MC3, but only if you don't intend to use him.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 10, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hell yeah, things got a little dicey at the end but I cleared the 160 Difficulty for the JP Fang and Vanille event. Mostly got bad because the final one in the rush slowed my whole party which allowed my last SG to run out before I could kill him.

Still finished with three alive, though, and getting the MC3 was the more important thing anyways.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Got Vincent's fire SSB with my dollar pull. That instantly made him MVP for all the Ultimate fights. I actually made Wrath + Meltdown do seriously good work for me on the U++ CM. Spam Wrath, build up SB gauge to be able to get that sweet en-fire up, then unleash absolute hell when Diamond closed up.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cleretic posted:

Wow, the second choice banner is basically the definition of garbage 5* pulls. That's an... interesting choice. The banner itself is way more appealing, holy poo poo, Shout and Sentinel's Grimoire?

EDIT: That can't be right, is Luneth getting his third level break before he gets his record sphere? I find it frankly insane that he's the best choice for your first MC3, but only if you don't intend to use him.
What? Nothing on it is flashy but they're very solid relics. Having a shared medica is a godsend for CMs, element boost gear is great and hard to find (especially earth! the gaia gear is the only 5* earth boosting armor in the game!), and 5* armor in general is rare and can shore up weak spots in your team's defenses.

Plus you're guaranteed at least one of the pull relics, so.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Did a yolo pull on Cloud 1 since I had an itch and really wanted Apocalypse for in realm haste for my CM since I have PP already.

Pulled Cid's Goggles, Apocalypse, and a third Healing Rod.

Really good haul, I just wish I had gil left over to reforge another 8* and make an 8* Healing Rod. 8* shared medica is a loving CM dream come true.

No OSB, but I can't really complain. The only things I would even want on the banner anymore are Yuffie's Blink and the OSB so I'll chill for now.

:woop: :woop: :woop:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Plus you're guaranteed at least one of the pull relics, so.

No, you're just guaranteed a 5*, it can be off-banner garbage still.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

KataraniSword posted:

No, you're just guaranteed a 5*, it can be off-banner garbage still.

Happened to me on my first G5 pull, it was great

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Happened to me on my first G5 pull, it was great

Me too, thanks game, you're right I did need a shield for FFIV more than I needed my first ever piece of FFVII synergy gear.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 10, 2016

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

How should I go about beating the Dragon Zombie to get the MC3 lode?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zebia posted:

How should I go about beating the Dragon Zombie to get the MC3 lode?

This is an issue I'm working on right now. My biggest struggle is he hits hard enough that I have to have a Wall, but not having native Shout means that slows my damage way the gently caress down. I got to the final phase with a team of Lightbringer Beatrix, Yuffie, Lenna, Ramza and Zack, but some unlucky damage dropped Lenna on the last Pandora before she could Pride of Tycoon.

I'm going to bed now but in the morning I'm toying with the idea of doing a Mithril Revive run: blitz it and gain as much SB gauge as possible before dying then reset and hopefully blow it away outright.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Dng it, I just wanna work on the ultimates, but the stupid first one has to be gated behind 60 stamina. Wish they'd just make em all 1 stamina.

I wanna do them now, not in two more hours. :argh:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

LornMarkus posted:

I'm going to bed now but in the morning I'm toying with the idea of doing a Mithril Revive run: blitz it and gain as much SB gauge as possible before dying then reset and hopefully blow it away outright.

This is what I did, except I did hit and run - put Concentration II on healer, everybody in back row attacks, healer Curaja's, then flee from battle... lather rinse repeat. It's boring doing that 12-15 times (at least), but it saves a mythril! I just couldn't do this without more Medica SB casts because Pandora's Box is stupid.

Haven't attempted the 180 yet, I'll worry about that tomorrow

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think I've hit the point where I need to figure out what team to focus on and get them capped at 80. I'm clearing the basic event stuff up to the MC2 pretty easily, but Ultimates feel like they're right on the edge of what I can do (I just barely beat one of the ult dooms before it expired).

I haven't been (and won't be) playing very heavily, so I'm limited in how much I can powergrind my mans.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

victrix posted:

I think I've hit the point where I need to figure out what team to focus on and get them capped at 80. I'm clearing the basic event stuff up to the MC2 pretty easily, but Ultimates feel like they're right on the edge of what I can do (I just barely beat one of the ult dooms before it expired).

I haven't been (and won't be) playing very heavily, so I'm limited in how much I can powergrind my mans.
Gold FES may or may not be up soon (it would be soon if we were following the JP schedule perfectly, but...) The thing that helped me tackle U/U+ the most was hones, so maybe set aside some mythril to do refreshes on the orbfest and stock up on honed abilities. Also consider a pull on Keeper's Choice 2 if you don't have any of the trinity, because it's got both SG and Shout on it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mastered CM Diamond Weapon with this:

RW was Sheepsong, notable SBs used were Gauntlet on Yuffie, Healing Wind on Aeris, and Healing Moment on Cait Sith. Gauntlet on Yuffie was absolutely clutch, as the blink effect fully absorbed an entire Stamp Out twice, making it good for about ~20k HP in mitigation. Plus, it also sneaked in about 8k damage a use, which ended up being really important because by the end of the fight I had nearly exhausted all the ability uses I had. Yuffie and Vincent were completely spent, I had about four heals left between Cait and Aeris, and Red was only doing about 2k a hit with breakdowns. One thing that took me completely by surprise though was that Yuffie was hitting for quad nines with Swift Bolt when Diamond's core was shut. Ninja magic is surprisingly badass.

I really enjoy CMs! They always end up being nailbiters for me, as an f2p.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If I spend 3 Growth Eggs, 10 Greater Eggs, and 20 Major Eggs, I can get a character from 80 to a comfortable 97. I can do this 11 more times before I'm completely out of Major Eggs. Yeah, I'm gonna be just fine... Bartz with the SSB and BSB under his belt has now 247 Attack before equipping a weapon.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Mastered the CM. Hard Mode: my only mage relic for FF7 is a green M-phone. (Easy mode: I have... a bunch of other FF7 gear for physical dudes)

RW: Celes Burst
Tifa with double lifesiphon that she never used, Burning Arrow, a shared medica, and Ace Striker, mostly used holy damage burst commands.
Zack with PC/FC and his Hastega SSB and Mako Might
Barrett with Power and Magic Breakdown
Cait Sith with Protectga, Curaja, Moogle Dance (full breakdown + heavy regen), and Dr. Mog
Cid with Dragoon Combo and Hyper Jump

Main thing was being conscious of his HP/ when the core would close and being careful not to waste, say, a Dragoon Jump when the magic breakdown that would close it was half cast. Once I had that timing down and was able to not waste skills I'd need later, it was reasonably straightforward; just took a little bit of luck with minimal stamp out casts after that.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

Main thing was being conscious of his HP/ when the core would close and being careful not to waste, say, a Dragoon Jump when the magic breakdown that would close it was half cast. Once I had that timing down and was able to not waste skills I'd need later, it was reasonably straightforward; just took a little bit of luck with minimal stamp out casts after that.

Is there a trick to this? I'm very far from where most of you guys are but I've had some of the battles with timed conditions (like an enemy that swaps elemental weakness), and it'll go enemy switches to weak to fire -> I queue a fire attack -> fire attack charges -> enemy switches weakness to ice -> attack goes off. Same with that FF6 snail that you cannot attack while his head is inside the shell. I really dislike (short!) windows of opportunity that need to be exploited with charged attacks. Because this always happens to me.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Whew, mastered Diamond Weapon, but no CM. Team was Krile, Rinoa, Yuffie, Selphie, and Cait SIth. One medal lost for actions taken, two lost for damage.

I have lots of physical synergy gear for VII, but almost nothing magic, just Yuffie's Pinwheel, Cait's Green Megaphone, and a Striking Staff. This meant Krile had to equip non-synergy gear. The other problem was that Cait and Krile are both summoners, and my summon hones are low. Cait got 3 casts of Alexander and 3 of Leviathan and that was it. Krile had 3 of Phoenix and 4 of Ixion, but even under Sheepsong, Ixion was doing only about 4k damage per cast until Diamond Weapon closed the core. Rinoa had the Striking Staff and fared better, using Chain Blizzaga, then switching to Firaja when the core was closed. It did less damage, but built up the SB gauge faster.

Yuffie just constantly cast Swift Bolt/Fire Veil (8 uses of each) and then went nuts with Bloodfest at the end...for very little damage (only about 4800). She put in a lot of work in the fight though, definitely the second most of the team, as when the core was closed she was doing around 7500 damage per ninja spell, exceeded only by Rinoa (9999 for every Firaja, 9k per BSB and burst commands).

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I wound up using Sheepsong Krile, Blood of Espers Terra, Dreamstage Selphie, Neo Almagest Exdeath and War Dance Penelo with Divine Judgment RW. Penelo used Heathen Frolic Sarabande and Multi Break, (how is this not Multi Breakdance, HOW IS IT NOT) Krile and Terra did fire damage and Exdeath used both RW casts to deal Holy damage. Two casts of Dreamstage, one cast of Neo Almagest, high regen from Sheepsong, Fire resist accessories on everybody and Diamond Weapon's bizarre insistence on not ever using Stamp Out once its core closed made incoming damage comically manageable.

CM may be doable, but it'd be a hell of a challenge. I don't think I can do it magically; Cait Sith is level 1, my only magic synergy weapon is a Guard Stick, I don't have a magical weapon for Red XIII period and I haven't gotten around to collecting Hardened Assassin yet. Conversely, my physical synergy is pretty strong. Dolphin Blow for Tifa, Black Materia for Sephiroth and Fenrir Overdrive for Cloud, with Healing Wind for Aerith and Clear Tranquil for Yuffie. It's all non-elemental, though, and I don't think I can do this any other way than with Shout. Incoming damage is going to be a bitch, too. It's that or burn a whole bunch of eggs for three MFOs, which doesn't sound particularly worthwhile.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So, I felt like proving a point, so I just did the U++ CM again with no soul breaks.

Yeah, Cait Sith has a green mphone equipped, but all he did was dance and I didn't use his SB. He could've had Excalipoor for all it mattered. Aeris has her Healing Wind Cura level medica, but the boss died before she had a full SB bar.

Basically, I used a Hope BSB RW, Yuffie had Mental Breakdance, Cait Sith Full Breakdance and Magic Breakdance. Reno summoned the RW on round 1 while Vincent used Memento Mori, Vincent used it on round 2. With the BSB's enholy, Full Break and Mental Break on the boss, and two extremely dated synergy rods (they both had about 450 MAG total), Reno was doing ~25k and Vincent was doing ~30-35k per cast of the Hope burst command 1. With about 5 casts from each of them, that's about 250k damage. Throw in another 20k from the two Burst entries and Memento Mori, and Yuffie hitting for 6.5k with Fire Veil (350 Mag + RM does serious work), and down went the boss.

Griefor posted:

Is there a trick to this? I'm very far from where most of you guys are but I've had some of the battles with timed conditions (like an enemy that swaps elemental weakness), and it'll go enemy switches to weak to fire -> I queue a fire attack -> fire attack charges -> enemy switches weakness to ice -> attack goes off. Same with that FF6 snail that you cannot attack while his head is inside the shell. I really dislike (short!) windows of opportunity that need to be exploited with charged attacks. Because this always happens to me.

The core closes at 66/33% HP (or maybe 75/25? Something like that - I trial and errored it a bit. I'm sure the reddit Enemy AI thread has the exact numbers.) which makes it fairly easy to judge by watching his health bar and knowing what your outgoing damageis like.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

In retrospect, I could've replaced Tyro with Vanille who has a better Medica, and I forgot to give Y'shtola fire resist gear, but I was half-asleep while setting this up. Between Blood of Espers Terra and Bestial Roar Vincent, it was a pretty easy fight. Not sure if I can pull off the Cid's Mission on this with most of my synergy being physical, but whatever.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mercury Crusader posted:

In retrospect, I could've replaced Tyro with Vanille who has a better Medica, and I forgot to give Y'shtola fire resist gear, but I was half-asleep while setting this up. Between Blood of Espers Terra and Bestial Roar Vincent, it was a pretty easy fight. Not sure if I can pull off the Cid's Mission on this with most of my synergy being physical, but whatever.

See my post above. Not only can you pull off the cid mission with that gear, you might actually have it easier than me.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Griefor posted:

Sometimes it's random but other times things are scripted, as Griefor mentioned. It can be at HP breakpoints or something like turn counters. I believe with VI Ymir it's 3 attacks before he hides in his shell.

Also, fight bosses at battle speed 1 if you aren't already.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Having a bit of trouble with the Zombie Dragon.

Killing them too fast, so Aerith can't heal off enough Pandora's Box blasts in time. :v:

Think I'll swap in a Mako Might on her instead, maybe that'll help her keep up if I can jump straight to her BSB after the first.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

What's the next good FFX banner? I did some accounting and besides I/II/III, X is the only realm where I don't have an SSB or BSB. I'm ok on synergy because I have Tidus's Slice & Dice and Spiral Cut swords, but those SB's are underwhelming now so looking to spend on the next good FFX banner.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bilperkins2 posted:

What's the next good FFX banner? I did some accounting and besides I/II/III, X is the only realm where I don't have an SSB or BSB. I'm ok on synergy because I have Tidus's Slice & Dice and Spiral Cut swords, but those SB's are underwhelming now so looking to spend on the next good FFX banner.

Tidus OSB, about a month out. Has Wakka's burst as well which is v. good.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Dr Pepper posted:

Having a bit of trouble with the Zombie Dragon.

Killing them too fast, so Aerith can't heal off enough Pandora's Box blasts in time. :v:

Think I'll swap in a Mako Might on her instead, maybe that'll help her keep up if I can jump straight to her BSB after the first.

It helps to refresh Magic Breakdown on each respawn, since Wall is useless against Pandora.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

bilperkins2 posted:

Tidus OSB banner next month is really strong. Besides the obvious OSB, it also features Yuna's really solid SSB2 medica, Wakka's BSB which is basically a Faris clone, and some other really nice stuff.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ETB posted:

It helps to refresh Magic Breakdown on each respawn, since Wall is useless against Pandora.

Didn't even use Wall.

As is I had to hold back to have enough time for Red XIII to get off Magic Breakdown and Full Break before Cloud, Hope, and Yuffie murdered them all.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ETB posted:

It can also help to have some form of Magic Blink, which allowed Ovelia to save my rear end with Princess's Prayer.

On the topic of U++ Diamond Weapon, how onerous is it to expose his core? My physical team is probably better equipped, but at the same time eight attacks just to open it up for each of two phases sounds like it'd take a while. (So far as weakness-targeting SBs go, I have Pecil's holy BSB and Papalymo's fire/swiftcast SB.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NGDBSS posted:

It can also help to have some form of Magic Blink, which allowed Ovelia to save my rear end with Princess's Prayer.

On the topic of U++ Diamond Weapon, how onerous is it to expose his core? My physical team is probably better equipped, but at the same time eight attacks just to open it up for each of two phases sounds like it'd take a while. (So far as weakness-targeting SBs go, I have Pecil's holy BSB and Papalymo's fire/swiftcast SB.)

It's a PITA but doable if you have the healing/mitigation. It's a waste of two turns all around unless you give somebody retaliate and several other people double cut/TF/materia. Which is a waste in its own right, but I guess you can expose he core a little faster.

Honestly, just get a Hope burst RW, bring a bunch of dancers and go to town.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

NGDBSS posted:

its a pain in the rear end to base your team around hitting it 8 times to open up the core. i have little mage synergy gear compared to my overwhelming amount of physical 7 stuff so i ran 1 black mage, 1 white mage, 1 ninja, tyro and pally c with the bsb. The mage and ninja did all the work. they hit for 7k ish with his shell closed and they had 350-370ish mag. cecil was pretty much dead weight even when i opened the shell. disclaimer my ninja was yuffie with her instant heal sb so ymmv for this setup.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

CaptainPsyko posted:

several other people double cut/TF/materia. Which is a waste in its own right, but I guess you can expose he core a little faster.

Multi-hit attacks only count as one hit towards the core being exposed, actually. Doctor Mog even says this specifically in the hints, and I went through it myself when Yuffie's 8 hit Bloodfest only brought the count down by 1.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

CaptainPsyko posted:

See my post above. Not only can you pull off the cid mission with that gear, you might actually have it easier than me.

You were correct, thanks!

Sheepsong RW and Bestial Roar trivializes that fight. The only other SB I used in the fight was Aerith's Medica.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Multi-hit attacks only count as one hit towards the core being exposed, actually. Doctor Mog even says this specifically in the hints, and I went through it myself when Yuffie's 8 hit Bloodfest only brought the count down by 1.

Retaliate off of doublecut is an exception. It's enormously wasteful of slots though, really seriously don't do this unless you're, say, giving Seph the 6* samurai skill anyway to complement a R5 lifesiphon and SSB or something.

And still even then, don't do it.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

And that's Zombie Dragon U+ down too. :toot:

Did require the Concentration cheese to get enough medica SBs built up but amusingly enough the real lynchpin of my success ended up being Yuffie, who I was mostly bringing along because she was a VII character that I had a SB for. Being able to use Gauntlet (which is instant cast, for those not aware) to trigger of the death of each phase when I was both at full life and had another medica incoming immediately afterwards was perfection. Even managed to squeak by with the Mastery to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I ended up doing Diamond twice: first time was with my physical A-Team (which barely managed it thanks to the core mechanics), second was with a CM team after reading peoples' experiences:

Suffice to say, the CM team fared far better. Yuffie and Vincent were in charge of pushing DW into its core closing phase, at which point Red XIII took over as the star of the show by pummelling it to death with double-cast black magic. As mentioned by others, it was surprisingly easy.

And I'm mostly out of Growth Eggs now. Vincent and Yuffie ate a lot. :v:

NGDBSS posted:

It's doable, but annoying, because there's going to be two instances during the fight where you're doing no damage and he's stomping all over you. Meanwhile, your Boostga is going to waste during those 8 attacks, so while a mage party could have gotten him down to 50% or more with 8 attacks, he's still at 70% with your physical team by the time you can deal damage again. And his ST stomps in the 2nd set of 8 are going to kill even your tankiest front-row attacker in a couple of rounds without Wall up, and the 2nd set is around the time where your 2nd Wall is likely to fall off at any moment.

In summary: Cast the magics at him. He falls over easier than you'd think.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 10, 2016

• Locked thread