Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Nihilarian posted:

I went from 1 magicite (Hydra) completed to 3 (Sealion and Liquid Flame) today, thanks to the fest

I can't seem to scratch Golem though, even with Alphinaud and Fujin BSBs on hand. Probably because I've so far refused to use an entruster.

If your goal is completion, then Fujin and Alphi BSBs should be more than capable DPS, even without Entrust bots speeding them along. What are your buffing/healing options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Vivi's legend dive is real, you guys. After helping me to sub-30 Golem last night, I had to have a go at Hydra.

100 Wisdom and 100 Spirit motes well spent.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I wish I had a single relic for Vivi, that looks fun.

Know what's nice about this? I literally did not need to use a single SB of his. It was entirely on the strength of Meltdown.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Could you post your setups?

Sure, this is my Hyrda setup.

The opening moves were important to get right. I had the team put together and figured out early on, but figuring out how to get through the first two turns of setup that would give me just the right amount of DPS punch proved to be the hardest thing to nail. Onion and Ramza immediately open with BSB and USB. Rydia gets Wall up quickly thanks to TGCid RM. Rosa casts Shellga. Vivi casts Stonega on himself. Second turn comes around and they now have instant actions thanks to Ramza. Rosa starts wrathing and USBing for the rest of the fight. Onion casts Faith onto Rydia. Rydia follows this up with Titan, which by now is doing close to 2x9999. Vivi hasn't had quite enough damage done to him to trigger his trance, so Ramza bops him. Vivi enters trance and has an instant cast ready for the first use of Meltdown (which I have six uses of). Vivi spends rest of the fight casting Meltdown, and in this case it double-casts five of six times. Ramza spends the rest of the fight using Wrath and using his USB. Onion uses his third turn to cast Faith on himself, then uses Chain Stonega for drat near 2x9000 each cast, which ain't nothing. Rydia keeps using Titan and a couple uses of Bahamut (in hindsight, a second R1 copy of Chain Stonega would be better) and then uses her BSB. CMD was doing about 4x5000. Not huge damage compared to Vivi, but adequate. The fight ended with Vivi dry on Meltdown, so his final act was using Stonega to apply the killshot.

And here's Golem.

You can see that there ain't much different here. Rather than having Ramza spam nothing but USB though, I had him Entrust his first bar onto Alphi. Otherwise the opening moves were very similar and I followed a very similar strategy. In fact, I did Golem first, and that laid the template for how I would beat Hydra.

Vivi is the linchpin in both of these fights. Without him and his dive and an R3 Meltdown, these sub-30s simply do not happen.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

ceaselessfuture posted:

An interesting thread from Gamefaqs on this very topic that advises to not dive Ysh: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/114492-final-fantasy-record-keeper/75809259

Disclaimer: my healing situation is nowhere near top tier and I have no opinion.

That thread OP is making an argument for not diving Y'sh based on the sub-30 magicite meta. Like, I totally agree that a legend dived Y'sh is not that hot for magicite speed, but she is absolutely awesome in other content.

However, I will grant that if you are spoiled for choice in terms of healing BSBs and USBs, and you have lots of good black mages and summoners to dive, you could very well better spend your motes elsewhere. For example, after pulling Rosa USB, I find myself using Rosa a whole heckuva lot more these days in spite of having a fully dived Y'sh myself. Could I have saved my motes and not dived Y'sh? Probably. But something tells me that her BSB will be absolutely handy in other content and what might drop in the future.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Also, in case anyone else is interested in my Bismarck, Sealion, and Fenrir sub-30 teams, here they are. You'll notice that Onion/Ramza/Rosa are the core of the team. There are then two DPS slots, one physical and one magical. The magic user in this case is a Shantotto that has been fully legend dived and has a CSB, BSB, and SSB (that gives faithga and damned good DPS on top of it) at her disposal. Like Vivi, Shantotto's dive was instrumental in allowing me to sub-30 each of them. Self-induce the trance mode, and then in Shanttoto she gets quickcast speed for a full 25 seconds, allowing her to build fast bar and get into her BSB and spam her really strong BSB commands. Her SSB is also no slouch either, and was the highest DPS option once I started Entrusting her later on in these fights.

In the Bismarck team, Lightning has her USB (not legend dived). That's a good thing to have, obviously. For Sealion, Refia (not legend dived) is using her BSB and wrecking poo poo as hard as Shantotto is. Then, for Fenrir I have Squall's BSB2 coupled with his LM2.

The key difference between these and my Golem/Hydra teams are the linchpin mage (Vivi vs. Shantotto) and whether the secondary DPS is physical (in the case of Bismarck, Sealion, and Fenrir) or magical (Golem and Hydra).

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

KataraniSword posted:

Can confirm, I also used Celes BSB2 + Cloud USB to eviscerate the dragon. It honestly seems like the only way to reasonably do the 3-man CM, if you don't have Ayame BSB. Maybe a non-elemental build with Noctis + Cloud USB could manage it (or just Cloud native spamming Omega Drive. Either way.)

For the record, Dark Dragon resists all elements except ice by 80% (so it takes 20% damage from everything) and is only 10% weak to ice. And it has 500k HP. It's a slog.

I did my 3-man CM with Lion/Prishe/Shantotto with Ramza and Rosa along for the ride. Shantotto performed as well as expected. I also packed a double-cast RM on her, knowing that Meltdown would almost certainly do 3x9999. I got some very lucky RNG with two Meltdown doublecasts, and so the Ahriman done died fast. Dragon of course was a bit more of a slog, but Lion and Prishe did the job with non-elemental DPS, and Shantotto switched to her BSB Ice/Lightning command.

I also didn't have to put her into trance mode either. That would have ended things a bit more quickly.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Here's my final haul from the fest period. I did do a couple pulls on the VI banner and so I'll be including them here.

USBs
Shadow - Oh gently caress yes.
Faris - I heard you already had a wind imperil for Faris, so here's an infinitely better one!
Setzer - Ahahaha, I don't even have enough 5* motes to think of diving you yet!
Tyro - Does the free one count?
Auron - I honestly haven't even had a chance to use it yet, but drat there's a lot of utility baked into this one.
Shantotto - Ohohohohohohohoho!
Noctis - I only had his SSB before, and I think I will continue using Noctis in a SSB-spam role even with this.

OSBs
Kain - Nope, not going to convince me to use him. Sad too, because Kain w/ SSB was one of my strongest DPS options one year ago today.
Raines - I don't have his BSB, so I might find a use for this somewhere.

CSBs
Warrior of Light - I will take that Holy Chain, thank you very much!

BSBs
Larsa - Snagged from the healer lucky. Hey, let's give a guy who already has Y'sh, Vanille, Sarah, Rosa, and Eiko BSBs yet another good one!
Aeris - I didn't really need more healing BSBs, but they're always welcome for CM purposes.
Warrior of Light - Before fest I only had his ancient-rear end unique soul break, and now I've got a permanent holy squad member.
Celes 2 - I had already done a full LD on her before pulling this, and now I feel even more vindicated.
Relm - Another healing BSB eh? Another case of not truly needing it since I have Eiko's USB for Last Stand, but in this case Last Stand on a healing BSB is a very handy thing.
Shadow - This was my gem-only selection. Wasn't even on my mind going in to this fest, but when you pull a Shadow USB your hand gets forced.
Balthier - Apparently he's the best fire-imperil-er in the game with this.
Aphmau - Help, I'm drowning in healer BSBs. Well, actually this one has a Faithga and DPS element to it, so this one is rather neat!
:siren:TINY BEE:siren: - Of course it had to happen.
Hope 2 - I'm flush with better offensive mage options, but somewhere down the line I can see this thing being very helpful.
Fujin - And this was my crystal tower selection. I already had all the best healing options, plus some dupes of the better DPS options, so welcome to the show Fujin!

SSBs - Mostly sadness this way.
Zell - Not even his "good" one.
Minwu - Hey, this will actually be handy!
Quistis - This is her Hastega/Quickcast. Useless to me because I have Leylines.
Edea - Magical source of dark imperil I guess.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

I was somehow having difficulty getting this under 30 seconds from the getgo, but then I went and farmed up some dark magicites and fixed up my ability usage and RMs. Basically, give Shadow ninja damage RM, entrust onto him at the start to get USB going, then entrust again to have him use BSB and get en-dark going. Yeah, I'll take me some doubletaps resulting in 80k damage per turn, at ninja speed.

Oh, and I somehow forgot that Vayne exists and has a physical component to his BSB. Definitely should bring him instead of Sephy and this might honestly go sub-20.

Shadow Dragon though, much like Liquid Flame exposes my lack of sheer water DPS, is similarly exposing my lack of raw holy DPS. Like, this is not a bad team at all, but WoL CSB/BSB and Celes BSB1+BSB2 just can't poo poo out big numbers until a good deal of setup, and by then any chance at sub-30 is gone.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

KataraniSword posted:

As for Vivi: ask Paperwind just how nuts a tranced Vivi is without a relic.

The potential to do up to 360,000 worth of fire/earth/wind damage in just 7 turns (assuming you self trigger Trance and have R3 Meltdown) without needing to worry about SB bar is amazing.

By this point his Trance wears off and he becomes near-worthless unless you have his BSB to use, but hopefully whatever it is you're fighting (in my case Hydra and Golem) are dead under 30 seconds.

I don't recommend diving a SB-less Vivi outside of speed clearing. If the fight drags on because what you are fighting has a mountain of HP to chew through, then Vivi becomes dead weight.

It made even more sense for me to do it since I have his BSB1, so I could theoretically keep him DPSing in much less capacity beyond the first 30 seconds.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Elephant Ambush posted:

Similar question: Which to legend dive?

Edge: I have him almost 4* dived already, and I have his SSB, USB, and LMR. No BSB though. I also have the 2 water ninja abilities honed to R2

Bartz: I have him only 3* dived, and I only have his USB and OSB. No BSBs and no LMRs. I do have Tornado Strike at R2 and I can hone Quake Strike if needed

I feel like Bartz is the better option especially since Tornado Strike can hit AoE and the overall damage is bigger but Edge is really fast and ninja abilities are becoming top tier with their low MAG cap and they ignore resistance and they're fast casting.

Bartz gives you more elemental coverage, but Edge will utterly wreck anything weak to water better than anyone. And those ninja abilities are going to get one helluva buff.

The real question is, do you need to dive either of them right now? What content is stonewalling you this moment?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

ceaselessfuture posted:

This begs the question for me then: who'd be the better dive in my situation, Ace with USB or Vivi with BSB1?

I don't have meltdown yet, nor any faithgas.

Without Meltdown or any Faithgas, I'd hold off on diving any mages for the time being. You'll never know what the gacha might cough up for you in the time it will take to get the tools you need to really make Ace or Vivi's legend dives really work.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

ZiegeDame posted:

How many Faithgas would zero-relic trance Vivi need to cap meltdown on magicites? I'm considering diving him instead of Terra or Papalymo because he could maybe snag me a sub-30 Hydra along with the sub-30 Sealion. (Sub-30 Golem will have to wait until I hone a bunch more ninja magic at this rate.)

I don't know the exact math, but I had Onion BSB and Ramza USB going. Vivi gets a bonus from his Trance as well, and with a damage RM that definitely should be enough to cap it.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Kumog posted:

These raids are feeling really drat overtuned, the Dissidia ones.
6 hours of attempts on Stage 1 alone, zero clears; any time we get close to one, the host loses connection when Bartz uses his Hand of the Crystals move. Fully Dived Setzer barely puts a dent in their damage output, and the start is just horseshit with WoL/Firion/OK loving to just all melee the same guy for 3k a pop each time, instakill.

Anyone got advice for getting through this crap besides just throwing mythril away for a single-player cheesefest?

Find an element to build around and go all-in on it. Just finished off a couple successful runs using Garnet's lightning imperil, Shantotto CSB/BSB, and Lightning USB. Fran provided mitigation, and we had 3 healers.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

LornMarkus posted:

Yup, go more than two without a bunch of Instant-Casts and you're probably looking at only maybe two actual actions with the first effect up.

Ninjas play really nice with Cloud's USB.

I made Apoc+ Squall feel some pain with Shadow using Cloud USB, then Shadow's USB. With everything at ridiculous speed, he was doing 4x17000 with 2x38000 chasers, and got off more than a couple of those. This was without an en-dark or Chant helping things along, mind you.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
So, Shadow Dragon. I kept trying to make a team with WoL/Celes/Beatrix/Ramza/Rosa work to no avail. So, I went and dived Beatrix after getting the latest batch of Bravery motes. I got really, really close with that team, down to 33 seconds. The strat involved letting WoL use his CSB, get killed by Black Fang, then Arisen to try to chip in again. The problem with this strat is that WoL was essentially dead weight without buffs and prone to death. I posted the team comp in the Discord just to get some ideas, and KataraniSword opened my eyes to something. If speed and DPS is the name of the game, why not let Ramza take the bullet? He also suggested using a healer other than Rosa, and to put TG Cid RM3 on the healer rather than on a DPSer.

So, paradigm shift. I decided I'd sub in Vanille with TG Cid RM, and let Ramza take the death. Once Vanille could get her BSB up, she could then chip in some DPS with her CMD1. That was the plan. I also optimized the early turns by making sure that both Celes/Beatrix Divine Crosses went off right after Shout went up. Then, the Guardbringers to go up after WoL used his Chain. With a lucky Beatrix double-cast on her Guardbringer, and a random Diaga cast from Vanille, something interesting happened after 10 seconds. I DID NOT GET BLACK FANGED.

The race was on, and I won.

I am extremely proud of this one. The fact that I didn't need to get TG Cid OSB or Raines BSB makes it all the sweeter. Yes, I know I still have some really damned good tools, but at first blush it didn't even seem like it'd be enough DPS quickly enough to get the job done. All it took was rethinking of how to put the tools together, diving Beatrix (admittedly the real linchpin here) and crafting second copies of Divine Cross and Guardbringer. Here's the team comp if anyone is interested. WoL has CSB, Celes used BSB2, Beatrix using her BSB, Ramza with Shout and then a USB use I wasn't expecting to have since he didn't die, and Vanille BSB.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Woke up to a banner I didn't expect, and 100-gemmed WoL OSB.

My first 6* +holy sword? Thank you very much. Oh, and this will likely make my sub-30 Shadow Dragon even faster now. :getin:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Is Master's BSB the best physical non-elemental burst around? I've had it for awhile and I've used him a good bit but I've never taken the time to actually go dive him and poo poo. On that note, I remember Zurai knocking Noctis' BSB down awhile ago but I could use a refresher on just how good or bad it is and why.

Absent a legend dive, I think it is already among the best, and with a dive it might be the best.

The greatest thing about Master is that he is one of the few characters whose legend dive, rather than their relics, make them truly powerful. A R3 Lifebane in his hands can do ridiculous work, and it doesn't require any gacha luck whatsoever.

Someone really ought to make a list of the best characters to dive without any relics. Vivi and Shelke are definitely up there too.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
At last I have conquered Liquid Flame and have cleared all 8 magicites under 30 sceonds. Thanks to all in the goon Discord who helped me rethink my team composition.

Once I broke out of my paradigm that I had to use Edge and other water-focused SBs, it was like a whole new world opened up to me. I went looking for anyone who I had already legend dived that could double-cast strong water abilities. Shadow fit the bill. Squall fit the bill. And yes, Vivi. I had to do a bit of honing and shatter some abilities to get enough orbs. My R4 Bahamut was a necessary casualty in this project. You can see how many hones I had for this up above. R4 Raging Waters, R4 Engulfing Twinstrike, R3 Chain Waterga (and some time ago I had already honed my second copy of Chain Waterga to R2 for a different strat that ultimately went nowhere, oh well).

So, the important thing for this fight is to go wall-less. In fact, in most sub-30 magicites I imagine that the wall RW is unnecessary (but ymmv). The fight went like this

Turn 1: Shadow starts with Reflecting Pool. Vivi uses 30/30/Hastega RW. Relm BSBs. Ramza Shouts. Squall times his first Engulfing Twinstrike to hit just after Ramza's Shout goes up.
Turn 2: Shadow Reflecting Pools again if it didn't double the first time. Else, right into Raging Waters. Vivi nukes himself to trigger Trance. Relm throws up Shellga. Ramza Wraths. Squall is just spamming spellblades at this point and hoping that they double proc. Each use is doing about 2x7500 at this point.
Turn 3: Shadow is up with the Raging Waters spam, which is doing around 4x5700. Vivi goes into spamming Chain Waterga for 2x8000, with a 50% chance of doubling up. Relm uses Bismarck. Ramza Wraths.
Turn 4 and beyond: Shadow eventually has enough meter to use his USB. The main reason for this is to have the chaser, which tacks on about 2x6500 each turn. Not at all insignificant. Ramza gets enough meter to use History's Truth, which increases everyone's DPS and gives a critical instant cast for everyone. By this point it's a pure damage race, and if Ramza gets another turn he's just using Water Veil.

All of this is dependent though upon Liquid Flame not throwing out too much bullshit. If he decides to steal mirror images from Shadow, it's a reset. If Flame just randomly gibs someone before Ramza gets that USB up, it's a reset. If Flame randomly paralyzes someone, it's a reset. If the RNG is really bad and nobody doublecasts anything, it's a reset. But once it finally all came together, I was surprised at just how far under 30 the time was.

Now, my next goal is to go back to my Fenrir and Bismarck teams, and see if it's possible to replace Squall/Lightning with Vivi, because gently caress if Vivi doesn't deserve to be in ALL of my non-holy/dark magicite teams.

Also dive Vivi. You very likely won't regret it.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

W.T. Fits posted:

Isn't Aegis Strike at least worth having on the basis of being an AoE Holy option that can be run alongside Alexander and doesn't rely on having BSB access for [insert Holy-element Knight character here]?

I actually honed the drat thing, as it was of critical importance to me in clearing the Tactics D300 CM. It has its niches, but it's not something you should be using on the regular in your holy-focused teams.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
So, having the chance to go back and finally master Bahamut SIN was nice.

What this proved to me was just how badly those early Ultimates have been power crept. I barely cleared that thing by the skin of my teeth when it was fresh, but now I had the opposite problem: it was too damned easy to curbstomp it. You see, one of the medal conditions is to kill EIGHT of his Shadow Creepers. That meant deliberately sandbagging the fight until he decided to spawn all eight of those suckers.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I just finished making some recordings of all my sub-30 magicite clears. If anyone is looking for inspiration for team comps, how I actually execute the battles, and so forth, they might be worth a watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXkUUQBLtkQ

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

ceaselessfuture posted:

Ah that's a shame, I was hoping my Iris was going to get more charge faster that way.

What's the best way for non-wrath healers to gain SB charge that isn't Entrusting them?

There's no best way for wrath-less healers. You could give them Ace Striker/Battleforged to speed things along, or Knight's Charge/Lionheart if you think they'll be taking a lot of knocks.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
It's nice to hear the Flare and Flare Strike might become relevant again. My Vivi and Squall are already dived and well-equipped to take advantage of either ability. I'll probably craft copies of them and keep them at R1 until we get to a point where omniresists actually start causing me trouble. For now, I don't think anyone needs to make a major orb investment in either ability.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Squall also gets straight +spellblade damage in his legend dive, so he's also a great candidate for using Flare Strike. Granted, you've probably dived him because you have his BSB2, but in omniresist content I'm not sure how much better the non-elemental aspect of his commands would do in comparison to simply spamming Flare Strike (and thus saving you time with the long setup his BSB2 requires).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

dragon_pamcake posted:

I'm a total newbie and just did my first Banner Relic draw. I did pretty good and got Aeris's Keepsake Ribbon and Zack's Buster Sword (VII-CC). I assume this means I should use one of my Hero Souls to pull Zack and wreck everything now?

KataraniSword posted:

Oh. You just pulled on the Newcomers banners, didn't you...? :negative:

First, I'll get the "good" news out of the way: Out of all of the things you could have drawn, Planet Protector is at least usable, in a pinch. It's the strongest tier of Attack boost even on newer stuff, though unlike newer stuff that's all it does. The Keepsake Ribbon's a good piece of equipment, too, offers really high MND for how old it is.

But the bad news: The stuff you pulled is two years old and powercreeped into obsolescence. You could pull Zack but he's not gonna perform too hot; his early stuff was bleh at best and his good stuff is largely not on that banner. The Newcomers banners are a giant trap because all of the Unique-tier soul breaks have both been power creeped out of use and aren't even available on newer banners any more. In "exchange", those banners don't have anything newer than about a year old, which includes most 6* relics and even some newer BSBs.

If you haven't already linked your account to anything I'd suggest burning down and starting over, pulling on a better banner (The FFTA one we have going is actually exceptional, and the FFX ones aren't too shabby either). If you have linked your account, then it's not really the end of the world that you spent that 25 mythril, but I'd advise going for other banners in the future.

Everything KataraniSword says is correct. You unfortunately pulled on a "sucker" banner.

Seriously, gently caress DeNA for keeping those banners around.

• Locked thread