Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Keeper's Choice 2 stuff is neat. Generally understated but good stuff. I probably won't pull unless I get real loving lucky on Guy 2 and draw Maria's BSB and/or Guy's imperil earth SSB, at which point I probably want a Gaia Gear because I have no shared medicas + earth boost is rare.

e: I feel a lot better ignoring banners now that my A team is solid enough to clear U+ consistently. I've got 150 mythril in the bank, tons of elites left to do, and a BILLION good banners in the future, plus I want to save at least 3 11-pulls for the Minfilia Holy Grail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Garin posted:

I'm trying to figure out now what kind of neat stuff I should roll for. It's really weird just going 'yeah I'm gonna do this because it looks cool' instead of focusing on A-team stuff.

Maybe if I have enough mythril I'll pull on Firion burst or just wait for the onion man.
Yeah I'm in the same position, it's weeeeird. I'm concentrating on pulling on good stuff for my favorite characters (primarily mages) first, and then after that stuff for making a good mixed meta team (OK BSB, etc)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

My A-team keeled over and died in the FF8 ultimate fight, I needed to completely rejigger everything into mage meta with a massive AoE focus to get through. They just have too much damage for you to slowly take them out one by one, even with wall and proshellga.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Kylra posted:

I could do it with native wall, proshellga and one of my medicas easily because I can take them out fast enough one by one. I just don't have native wall. Or a lot of aoe.

I do happen to have Crystal Cross for Yuffie though..and I could make a couple Aegis Strikes and veils...hmmm.
Do you use anyone with Dancer 4*? The 4* attack down dance was critical for me.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

LornMarkus posted:

Apparently good fortune abounds as I managed to take down Hojo as well after a slight realignment. Did lost Fang at the end of the fight but managed to pull through with everyone else and win pretty soundly.

If there's one thing I've learned from my JP experience it is definitely this: get you that sweet Y'shtola BSB because it is amazing, just the initial burst heal combined with an HP barrier is good enough but throw on that instant cast several thousand HP heal too? So good.
I would love a Y'shtola BSB but it would kind of conflict with her being my only source of Wall :(

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Honestly, there's enough other mitigation, now and coming, that, while Wall never stops being amazing (obviously), the tuning of fights is such that it's much less of a universal mandatory at this point, and there are often compelling reasons to, say, prioritize medicas and such over it. Even more so nice stuff like the Yshtola Burst shows up with damage shield effects or stuff like guts that make OHKO's avoidable without spamming SG all the time.
Also she can theoretically spam Wrath, so she's got it better than most healers.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I know, I just hate having to use abilities to clear trash. My magic hones aren't great (4 shots on each of the 4-stars), and I don't know that I'll have the resources to fix that soon, as I'm saving orbs to improve my break game and some other utility stuff. I could probably do some relatively sick things with access to Blood of Espers, Magitek Missle, Turk Bombshell, Sheepsong, Wishing Star, Darkflare Star, Maelstrom's Bolt, and Heaven's Wrath, but that doesn't do me a ton of good if I run out of steam or get killed before I even reach the boss, which is kind of where I end up if I put more than 1 or 2 black mages on my team.
Get some of the RMs that make your attack command a magic attack! Maria, Vivi, Selphie, and Ovelia have em. Or just use black mage's Mana Spring II to continually replenish Ruinga on one of your mages to blast through all the trash.

e: Also now I have SG and Thyrus and no idea which to use. If I use SG I can use a healer with a real medica (or Selphie and her BSB), but if I use Stoneskin II I can have Tyro use Keeper's Tome instead...hmm.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 9, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

:catstare:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Ceritus posted:

finalfantasyfans.txt
Don't you read the FF General thread? Every game is the worst game in the series!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Midgar zolom is basically "use cloud's OSB: the fight" so that went nice and easily! Gonna try dragon zombie later tonight when I'm not post-debate drunk.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Wow, the second choice banner is basically the definition of garbage 5* pulls. That's an... interesting choice. The banner itself is way more appealing, holy poo poo, Shout and Sentinel's Grimoire?

EDIT: That can't be right, is Luneth getting his third level break before he gets his record sphere? I find it frankly insane that he's the best choice for your first MC3, but only if you don't intend to use him.
What? Nothing on it is flashy but they're very solid relics. Having a shared medica is a godsend for CMs, element boost gear is great and hard to find (especially earth! the gaia gear is the only 5* earth boosting armor in the game!), and 5* armor in general is rare and can shore up weak spots in your team's defenses.

Plus you're guaranteed at least one of the pull relics, so.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

victrix posted:

I think I've hit the point where I need to figure out what team to focus on and get them capped at 80. I'm clearing the basic event stuff up to the MC2 pretty easily, but Ultimates feel like they're right on the edge of what I can do (I just barely beat one of the ult dooms before it expired).

I haven't been (and won't be) playing very heavily, so I'm limited in how much I can powergrind my mans.
Gold FES may or may not be up soon (it would be soon if we were following the JP schedule perfectly, but...) The thing that helped me tackle U/U+ the most was hones, so maybe set aside some mythril to do refreshes on the orbfest and stock up on honed abilities. Also consider a pull on Keeper's Choice 2 if you don't have any of the trinity, because it's got both SG and Shout on it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Any opinions on which available mc3 rm unlock is the best?
Best is "whichever of the available characters is on your A team," followed by Luneth because his level 99 RM is a 40% chance of doubling exp.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Did somebody say the Eiko event starts soon? Crap. The Lucky Draw starts tomorrow night, and I'm only at 15 mythril. That means that if I do the Lucky Draw, I won't be able to do an 11 pull on Eiko 1...this is a bad situation.
How's your healer situation? If you already have a really good healer SB, Eiko 1 isn't as high a priority. I'm actually considering skipping it, since I got Strange Vision so if I went for Eiko 1 it would primarily be a hail mary for Lightbringer IX.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

SageAcrin posted:

I have two synergy sticks for FF7, literally just two.

One's the Gold Sword you get from Cid Missions, which sucks.

The other is Vincent's Shotgun.

It's amazing what you can do with Hope's BSB and a shotgun. RIP U++ Diamond Weapon.
This is exactly my synergy + Aeris's lovely cura+reraise medica, so I guess I'll give it a shot later.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Jesus loving gently caress, that fight was like how Hobbes describes life: nasty, brutish, and short :catstare: Three healers and I could still barely keep up with his damage output, even through protectga and wall. Thank god for FFVII synergy Hope BSB RWs. I would not be ready for U++ otherwise; I have a shaky track record on U+ as it is.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Her BSB is really oddly offense-based (25p medica command and SB-level nuke command) with an attached cura medica whereas her SSB is a curaga medica. So. (Also, her SSB weapon gives +Holy.)
I'm totally all about attacking white mages tbh. Selphie has opened my eyes; she does more damage than like half my team, her BSB attack command owns. I wish the healing command was a medica instead of a single target curaja + regen, but mag/mnd faithga for the whole party plus really respectable holy damage on the level of Pencil BSB is making her more and more valuable to my team. She obliterated dragon zombie almost on her own.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Lucky draw report: Just Refia's Rising Sun, which is...a bad soul break.

Oh well! It's still a 5* thrown weapon and a +10 atk for Refia, plus III synergy is rare.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

If you have native Shout and Dreamstage and can RW a wall, Squall and Pencil with Ace Striker/Battleforged RMs should be able to completely blast through Dragon Zombie with no trouble. Just have to avoid using Squall's fire moves on the second form.

e: Stack as many breakdowns as necessary. You don't necessarily need Faris around if you have Ramza, too, so you could sub her out for Agrias with Banishing Strike/Saint Cross and Firaga Strike, too.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 12, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Has the Wutai Headband recurred on anything but lucky draws with massive relic pools? I'd love a % medica option so I'm not forced into having Ramza whenever I use a non-medica WHM.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

This might seem like a silly question, but all of your armor and weapons are upgraded to their max possible levels, right?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Shellga is actually useless in that fight, he has a grand total of one magic attack that doesn't ignore RES and it's a single target attack he only uses in the first phase.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

And don't underestimate that Braska robe of yours. It's literally the best Faithga item in the game if you have some other source of Haste. And if you don't have some other source of haste, it's still nearly equivalent to something like sheepsong thanks to fastcast. I'd honestly prioritize it over leveling Eiko because you got her burst, and maybe even Beatrix.
I would argue that Papalymo's Ley Lines on Minfilia 1 is a better Faithga than Braska's, and one of the many, many reasons to multipull on that banner.

e: Oh, IF you have a separate haste. Disregard.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

God, I want Thief's Revenge...but I also want to hone Dark Zone.

Why are there not more major dark orbs :qq:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

AweStriker posted:

Speaking of U+ Dragon Zombie woes, I find myself struggling to keep up around phase two or three. When I took a hiatus six months ago I had utterly ridiculous levels of high-end VII stuff that is probably slightly less high-end now.

What I'm trying now:

Sephiroth - Flashing Blade, that one AoE Fire samurai ability, +20%ATK w/ Sap (has Black Materia)
Butt - Lifesiphon, Fira Strike, +Soul Gauge/action (has Fenrir Overdrive)
Ramza - Full Break, Power Breakdown, +Soul Gauge/action (has Tailwind)
Lenna - Shellga, Curaja, Start SB (has Flames of War and Princess' Favor)
Y'shtola - Magic Breakdown, Diaga, Start SB (has SSII)

Previous attempts have included Tifa with Waterkick and Burning Arrow and I also have LH; I also wasn't quite sure what RW to take with that setup.

(Not everyone is at their max level and no one has any Sphere skills.)

Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure I can get through this
What are you RWing? If you have Flames of War and are using it, you can maybe forego Shout and RW a Pencil/Hope/Garnet/Beatrix BSB for holy smackdown.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Question for JP people: Does OK's mage SB come back on anything? OK 2 is a dismal banner compared to OK 1, but I love the hell out of that attack+percentage medica for a mage team that can't fit Ramza into it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I've been back and forth on Larsa 1, since Ashe's BSB would be really nice to have and Strahl Strafe owns, but I already have Ark Blast. With all the good stuff coming up though (and Ashe's BSB recurring on a really amazing OSBfest banner, if it isn't changed) I'm probably gonna give it a pass, but it'll hurt.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Dollar pulled golden hairpin :toot: Not 11-pulling on this, I have too much healer poo poo already, already have wizard rod, and while I want Beatrix BSB, I don't want it that bad. Now I have a CM boostga :toot:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

AweStriker posted:

Got Gold Hairpin (and nothing else important).

Sure, I have +50%, but now I have to worry about either taking two relatively inflexible Support types to get both that and hastega or have to worry about it and Flames overwriting each other, and that's not pretty.
Frog Drop isn't really an A-team type of SB. Gold Hairpin is still an A+ drop though; it's a boostga for IX CMs (since you have to take Quina along, s/he's their only support), and afaik it's the only piece of 5* armor in the game that boosts water, so it's incredible for Tidus cheese.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Question for thread-dwellers better at mythril budgeting than I:

I'm tempted to pull on Guy 2, since it's got Guy's imperil earth and Maria's earth caster BSB, and I have a weird affection for that element in RPGs, since it's so often overlooked. However, I'm still trying to budget out:

* 1 pull on Tidus OSB 1
* 1 pull on Kain 1
* 2 pulls on OK 1 to hail mary for the BSB
* 3 pulls on Minfilia 1 (or 2 if I get all the stuff I want in that much) because it's amazing and XIV is my fave

I'm also reeeeeeally tempted by OSB fest banners 1 and 5.

I have 120 myth right now, and about 33% of the elites remaining to get mythril from. Is this feasible, or will I have to be a lot more conservative with my mythril than I'd planned? I have very little interest in the four banners (Squall OSB, Angeal, Leo, Dorgann) between OK and Minfilia and will probably not pull on them at all.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

AweStriker posted:

I think I have none of the pieces I'd need for Tidus cheese, other than that. And Tidus.

(I'd like some, though, X is by far my weakest realm that often gets events. ...okay, VIII isn't far behind.)
One of the other two isn't even out yet :v: And, if they don't change it, both other pieces are on the same OSBfest banner!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Don't forget to get Garnet and Quina's RMs in this event if you don't have em!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Hamelin recurs in OSB fest (assuming they don't swap it out), which has a bunch of other things that are not FFIX. Wait for that.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Reminder that unless you hate XIV a lot, Minfilia 1 is an utterly insane banner and the four before it are pretty eh (Angeal is alright but has a lot of repeats from the banner we just had, and Dorgann has some hits and misses) so after OK make sure you save up enough to at least do a pull on it. The booby prizes are loving wall and proshellga+major regen, and the big prizes are some of the most crazy-go-nuts BSBs in the game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

AweStriker posted:

I for one plan on going in really hard on that when it comes around. I want like all those BSB. Even Yda's. I saw some video of it being used against probably U++ Garuda and I lost it when the Greased Lightning icon came up.

Of course I can't remember whether that's even on Minfilia 1 or 2.
It's on 2, the not-as-good banner. :( I'm saving 150 mythril for it, so if I happen to get good things for both Minfilia and Alphinaud I might throw the last 50 at banner 2 for a chance at Papalymo or Yda BSBs.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Shoenin posted:

do all the chainga's use Non Elemental Orbs?
Nope. Chain stonega and biora both use black/earth/dark, chain thundaga uses black/lightning/wind.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Hmm. I don't have any imperil fire or enfire, but I do like mages, so I may as well throw some orbs at it, at least to r2.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Black Mage's new RM3 (magic fire x1.5 damage to all enemies on autoattack) owns, I skipped forward to the latest elite to pick up his MC2 so I could grind it out while I ground Quina's RM2, and now Vivi completely destroys enemy waves on auto without me having to do anything. (A fire boosting hat helped.) I'd recommend grabbing it if you hate FF2/3/11 trash that comes in waves of 5, it's fantastic for that.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

superloosegoose posted:

Smite (3 hit next two actions are instant) is going to be amazing once lightning gets her osb.

Is steiners SSB good or is it whack
It's a bit weird to use because it doesn't synergize with boostga very well, but you can make it work. It combos really well with something like Trueblade of Legend that buffs your defense (not to mention wall!), and if you stick a reforged 8* armor on Steiner he can do some pretty respectable damage with it. That's pretty much the only build Aegis Strike is good with, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I've been playing for ~two months and I'm rapidly running out of characters I don't have :v: Characters are really, really not an issue in this game.

• Locked thread