Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I have no idea what I'm doing but this seems kinda fun. Should I just be focusing on blasting the basic storymode stuff to begin with? I kinda got distracted by those special events that let me unlock characters, but they devour my crap stamina limit.

I also have a ton of growth eggs for some reason, so should I just go ahead and burn these on whoever or hold on to them until I have some clue what I'm doing?

The relic page reminds me of a Geocities site from the early 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Coming up on 50 mythril, so will be time to do my first pull I guess. Any recommendations on which of these banners to pull if you're brand new?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

drat it you guys, you're making Keeper 2 seem like the smart choice but Cloud the pick that's so crazy it might just work.

The only 5* i have right now is the Blitz Sword it gave me as my starter relic, so I genuinely have nothing right now. If I go Keeper 2, which of the choices am I best going with, then? Red Armlet seems like a decent pick because it's generic?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Well. Getting this on my first ever pull means I'm never getting anything ever again right?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Went for a lucky draw pull because why not. I don't what these do. I hear Hope's BSB is good? I don't actually own any of these characters so should I pick one of them up to throw it on while I grind my way through the basic stuff?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

So i've pulled a few banners now, but I'm still pretty new (61 stam). I'm getting to the point I feel I should be starting to construct a team for going forward, but I've no idea what I should look to run.

Here's a current list of SBs -

Cloud OSB (Ragnarok)
Steiner SSB (Excalibur)
Fang USB (Glaive)
Exdeath USB (Moore Branch)
Garnet SSB (Wizard Rod)
Fran SSB (Traitor's Bow)
Faris BSB (Artemis Bow)
Yuffie SSB (Crystal Cross)
Hope BSB (Ninurta)
Sazh USB (Deneb Duellers)

I feel like Cloud's OSB is too good to not be using, and while I don't have her (I have a soul to buy her), I hear Faris' BSB is real good, so that would secure two spots. Beyond that, I don't really know what I'm doing. I figure that I'm leaning physical, but my understanding is the meta is shifting to mages?

Do I have the grains of a competent party here? Is there any banners in particularly I should be looking out for going forward to try and tighten a team? I'm pretty much just autoattacking my way through classic dungeons and the events right now, but I'm starting to hit that point where I feel I'm going to have to start paying attention!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

ETB posted:

You have a Hastega through Garnet who can act as a decent healer. Try to get the Dr. Mog's Teachings and Mako Might RMs ASAP to up your ability to take on difficult content.

You have a Boostga (30% attack for all) on Sazh, one of the better Support units you can have with his versatility. Same principal with the RM above.

What you are missing is a Wall (Tyro/Y'shtola) for some of the more difficult content, but you can use a Roaming Warrior to compensate for that.

You are also missing a solid Medica, so I would prioritize that in the future.

Thanks for the advice!

Looking at upcoming banners, I feel like I should just be saving like crazy for the Y'shtola banner? I don't really have any specific damage targets, and it feels like that one could cover all my needs.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Fair enough! I'm a sucker for pulling on anything and everything anyway.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

RWs letting me punch above my weight in the coliseum. Now have motes I cant use until I break level caps, which I have no crystals for yet!

Did score me the earth orbs for Protectga though :toot:

Dollar pulled Mace of Zeus, which doesn't seem all that special, but it's my first source of medica so hooray

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to get a rough idea of what I can expect from different difficulties?

I really want that Memory Lode 2 from the Ashe event, but I dunno what sort of difficulty i'm in for pushing towards it. Big stamina investment (I only have 71!) and I have no idea how scary +, ++ and +++ are, or have much of a sense of the numerical difficulties. I would just start fighting until I lose, but there's a ton of things I could be using the stam for instead if it's a waste of my time right now.

I'm comfortably unlocking the first tier of memory crystals, but I figure the next tier might be a little out of reach still :v:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks for this! Curious how it'll go. Cleaned up a pair of 99s no problem, so now the fun begins. Really hurting for greater orbs, particularly earth, to get Shellaga (I've got protectga).

Remembering that I don't need to master it is proving helpful :v:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Hit 50 mithril and couldn't not pull

Well ok. Guess Tidus just joined my A team! I have a golden hairpin too, so I guess he's good to go.

I really need to hoard mithril to pull on my back line now. Cloud OSB, Tidus OSB and Faris BSB, but my support lineup is... garbage.

I honestly can't believe I got both OSB in one pull each.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Picked up my first MC2 from this event. Should I just go ahead and use this on Cloud to go for Mako Might? I don't have anything for Tyro, but I do have Cloud's OSB so right this second he feels like the better choice.

Unless Cloud has a shot at his second memory crystal coming up some time soon?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

How should I be looking to construct a physical team beyond having dudes that hit physically?

Right now I'm running

- Cloud and Tidus because I have their OSBs (and the Golden Hairpin, in Tidus' case)
- Faris for her BSB
- A medica WHM. Aerith currently, because I have her Reraise SSB. Alternatively I have Lenna's Pride of Tycoon SSB, but they're the only two I have right now.
- a random 5th. Right now I'm using Hope to master his BSB.

Turns out I got Paine's Hastega SSB in a dollar pull at some point and promptly forgot about it. I figure in the short term she'd fit pretty well as my fifth so I have a hastega plus access to Knight abilities.

In an ideal world I pull OK's BSB this week. I won't, but it would be perfect. Otherwise I keep RWing Shout, which still leaves me with decent damage, but means I have to continue choosing between Shout and Wall for my RW.

I do also have Sazh's 30% Boostga, but I'm not sure it makes up for losing Hastega or, alternatively, benching Cloud or Tidus. Surely one of those is worth more than the 30% buff?

The Tyro trifecta banner is always an option long-term if I have lovely luck and want a few shots at a Wall or Ramza's stuff, but I refuse to use any mythril on that in the middle of the madness of current banners.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Oh poo poo, I really did gloss over the Hairpin, huh. Teaches me for just seeing the minmax chat about "stick all the +water on Tidus! Big numbers!" and missing the big picture.

I'm all for using Quina. Quina owns.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I'm actually pretty excited about my next few pulls. Between the Lucky BSB and the OK Banner, anything is possible! :ohdear:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I suppose I should followup with recommendations on ability setups for this too then. I'm poor and new so my collection is lacklustre at best, so generic targets would be neat. I'm still mostly using 3* stuff, but options are opening up for me on 4*s thanks to event orbs.

Aerith: Curaga, Protectga/Shellga
Tidus : Lifesiphon, Hydroburst (got it free from event)
Paine: Spellblade element and x knight ability?
Faris: I have no idea. I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to Thief/Dancer. I'm mostly mashing Tempo Flurry. Presumably I'd run MultiBreak and something if I had them.
Quina: similarly no clue. Running BLM elemental stuff seems silly. Breakdowns?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks for the all the advice, guys. I have something to work with, at least!

It's probably all up in the air when I pull a bunch of mage BSBs or something and I'm back to square one

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Greater Earth Orbs :argh:

I've seen like 6 of these and 3 or 4 times as many of the others. Seriously what the hell.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

I bet you ended every FF with all your mega elixirs

You aren't meant to use those, you animal. You might need them later!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

We'll that could have gone worse for a first pull. Luneths bsb wasn't really on my radar

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Pulled Vaan and Squall from the BSB pot. Vaan seems popular, but I'm not sure how to fit it into my team. Between Faris and Vaan I have pretty much every breakdown a physical team could want though :v:

Just a shame none of my buff SBs do double duty!

Edit: Considering Vaan/Quina/Faris/Aerith/Paine

It means I'm using neither of my OSBs, but I have 50% ATK, Medica, all the breakdowns and haste with that setup. Tidus or Cloud would mean more frontloaded damage, but Vaan also gives me additional armour debuffing.

The issue is I also pulled Luneth's BSB and OK's Sword. I don't know what to do!

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 25, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Getting all these relics that might be good when I'd just settled on an A-team that made me content is super frustrating :argh:

I'm spoiled.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Not sure I can do the +++ fight for Gaia's Cross :(

Everything was going swimmingly then it used Quake and oneshot the whole party. Was going pretty well up until that point! Wall *may* have dropped off just before she cast it though, so at least I know the quake is at 50% or so now. Does she cast it again or do I only have to deal with that one time?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Hmm. I may have to rearrange my party a little. Possibly drop Paine for Garnet - use her Hastega, give her Shellga and a second heal, maybe. I lose a bunch of damage, but I might be capable of surviving, which is all I need to do.

Starting to feel the burn from not having Mog's or Mako Might yet.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 25, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Hahaha. +++ update: swapped in Garnet from Paine. Gained Shellga and my haste SB converted to also being regen and a medium resistance buff. The quake went from hitting the whole party for 3500ish,down to 350ish (!!!). I'm a little blown away by what a difference all that made; I really must have lost Wall at exactly the wrong moment before.

The good news is I suppose this means I'll be able to get Onion MC3, which will make him usable at some point!

Conundrum: do I farm dragons for his onion motes? I don't know how often the chance comes up, but even though I have his sword I have no idea when I'll actually use him. I don't actually have 90 stamina (my max is 77!), so I don't know whether it's a worthy investment of my time to clear it more than once right now.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Don't worry too much about Onion Motes right now if you're struggling even a little with +++ fights. The 5 you get from leveling him to 80 during the event (don't forget to do this! it's time-limited!) are enough to unlock Support 5 and one of Combat 5, Black 5, or White 5 depending on how you want to run him. We'll also get the Ahriman mote dungeon soon, which comes back every month and is a farmable source of Onion Motes (though you won't be able to clear it if you're struggling with +++ fights, you will be able to eventually, like when Alphinaud's BSB is released and you can RW it to obliterate Ahriman).

Good to know! I figure I'll just clear the dungeon for his MC3 and go back to the realm dungeon grind then. I really, really, really want more stamina. Plus I still have a lot of mythril to mine.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Jedi425 posted:

Bought some iTunes credit on discount from Costco and rage pulled again on OK. I'm not proud of what I did, but I got the gauntlets and the sword.

Anger wins again! :argh:

I don't wanna know this. I dont want to pull for a fourth time because I'm fixated on a multifaceted buffer item that I won't get. I already pulled Gungnir, Lust Dagger and Onion Sword. I really, really don't need to pull on this again!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I actually have a surprisingly strong set of damage SBs now. Support is my real struggle.

Are any of the upcoming banners worth dropping a pull on for a chance at a strong member of the trifecta? Minfilia is an obvious candidate for Y'shtola stuff, so I presume I'm best just saving for XIV like everyone else at this point, minus the occasional lucky draw for laughs?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Thought since I'd cleared the III +++, I'd go back and try the one in the IV event, see if I could score me Titan and some more major orbs.

Holy poo poo :catstare: Any advice for Barbariccia? She's absolutely flooring me and I'm not sure what to do about it. I took Luneth with my two hones of Lightning Dive and... that won't be enough jumps. Plus she hits like an absolute train.

I'm gonna fall back on Garnet subbing in with her resist hastega as a second healer again, but Luneth is my only dragoon with gear. When the burst says "physical wind and non-elemental", does that mean it's a physical attack, wind if that's a vulnerability and non-elemental if not?

Should I just hone the poo poo out of the 2* jump and mash on her with Luneth's BSB?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

AstraSage posted:

I remember I had a serious offensive power issue with Barbariccia I had to solve by delaying breaking her Tornado form via Jump so I could make full use of that form's Holy weakness while focusing on mitigating her magic attacks (her physical ones can be taunted)...

Hey, there's an idea. If I dump my booster I can replace them with Hope. Diaga and his Holy BSB might do some work.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Inge posted:

Simple way to think about it - the attack is the element which will do the most damage.

So if it's wind/non.

Vs. Wind weak = wind
Vs. Wind resistant = non elemental
Vs. Wind neutral = either or

(+20% wind gear equipped) Vs. neutral = wind
(+20% wind gear equipped) Vs. wind resistant = non elemental
(+20% wind gear equipped) Vs. wind weak = murder

Works like I hoped it would then. I figured they did it to stop people's shiny SBs getting ruined by awkward resistances. The worst they can roll being flat 100% effectiveness (not including DEF or RES) is fair enough.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Can't get Mako Might to drop :argh:

I've unlocked Cloud's Soldier Counter RM, used Cloud's MC2. I'm just being unlucky at this point, right?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

hngkong posted:

You need to go to a specific stage with Cloud to unlock it.

To get his RM2 (Soldier Counter), I had to do the Cargo Ship on Elite, but all I can see for Mako Might is that RM2 be unlocked and then it's just a chance with him in party. Am I meant to be somewhere special for this one too?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Zyla posted:

yo ucan do solo raid bosses in multiplayer now for 0 stam and it will drop and unlock missing rms if you meet the criterion to unlock them otherwise

Yeah, I've noticed this. Pulled Luneth's RM2 and RM3 from it so far, so I'm just going to spam this in stamina downtime and hope for the best. Glad I'm not missing anything and it's just atrocious RNG

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Had another go at Barbariccia+++.

Went much better. Mastered it, even :toot:

Took a few reloads to get it online (I was really hoping to have Mako Might for this), but once I got it up I was home free. I only used jump twice to cut the magic down until I had all my defenses up, but once Wall, Shellga and Garnets Hastega SSB with the Resist buff were all up I was in absolutely no danger of dying outside the slim chance I ran out of Curaga/Cura hones before she died.

For reference I went with Hope BSB, Luneth BSB, Aerith Medica SSB, Garnet SSB, Faris BSB with Wall RW. Once Luneth was rolling stuns, Hope was spamming holy nukes and Faris was rolling breakdowns I was set. Boy did it take a few tries for her to stop randomly blowing me up before I got set up, though.

Excited for going forward now -- I'm in the position of picking up the super useful rewards for events now (minus the MC3 crystals), so it's mostly just progression now for hones and levels. Hooray!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

This is the best thing

Edit: oh hey I pulled the onion staff on a dollar pull. So now I have his sword and staff but no gloves :argh:

I'm glad I'll be able to use Onion Friend :unsmith:

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 27, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Little bit of napkin theorycrafting:

My current core lineup (significant changes from before):

Onion Knight (Either 40% Medica or Melee SSB) (-50% DEF/RES [#608])
Vaan (BSB) (-40% DEF/MAG [#620], -50% DEF [#604] or -40% MAG [#601] as bursts)
Faris (BSB) (Full Break -- -40% ATK/MAG/DEF/RES [#609]., -50% MAG [#601] or -40% ATK [#603] as bursts)

With all 3 soul breaks rolling, i'm applying
- 2x 50% DEF, 2x -40% DEF
- 2x -40% ATK,
- 2x -40% MAG, -50% MAG,
- -50% RES, -40% RES.

They're all under different IDs (I'm using Faris' #601 because it's better than Vaan's) so, by my understanding, should all stack? How does the math even work on this?!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Yes, those should all stack. As for how the math works out, first we have Break Resistance, which halves all stat break effects; every relevant boss has resistance to every break type. After taking that into consideration, breaks stack multiplicatively. So, as an example, a boss with 1000 Magic would be affected like this:

1000 * 0.75 * 0.8 * 0.8 = 480 Magic (52% overall reduction)

Thanks! I'm starting to appreciate why break resist is a thing,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

In this case it won't matter, but apparently there do exist soft caps and hard caps on how much you can debuff an enemy in the same way that there exist soft and hard caps on how much you can buff an ally. This is not to say that the soft caps trail off nearly as drastically in the former case, but they do still exist. In particular, the offensive (ATK, MAG, MND) stat soft/hard caps are at -65% and -70%, while the defensive (DEF/RES) ones are at 70% and 80% (respectively). (An initial offensive penalty beyond -76% hard caps at -70%, while an initial defensive penalty beyond -87% hard caps at -80%.)

But it's still very difficult to actually reach the soft caps in the first place given multiplicative stacking, the fact that an increasing capacity for debuffs is met eventually with debuff resistance (generally starting at the difficulty 99 dungeons in events, or at difficulty ~110 in elite story dungeons), and the outright generosity of those caps in the first place. In Wilekat's case the results would be, assuming debuff resistance:
  • 36% DEF/-64% DEF
  • 64% ATK/-36% ATK
  • 48% MAG/-52% MAG
  • 60% RES/-40% RES
Without debuff resistance, the DEF (-91%) and MAG (-82%) penalties would end up hitting their hard caps, while the ATK (-64%) and RES (-70%) penalties would still barely be unaffected by the soft caps.

Thanks for this (and everyone else too!). I'm using this as an exercise to assess what I'm needing for my A-Team.

I feel like coming out the gates with Faris and Vaan using Dr Mog's (when I get it...) and Mako Might probably sets me up best because I'm bringing the boss to 64% MAG effectiveness (36% MAG debuff between both BSBs) on turn 1, combined with either Protectga, Shellga or both. At that point it's just a question of what serves me best.

Moving on, Trifecta:
Medica - My only options right now are Aerith's Cura/Reraise or Lenna's Curaga/+50% RES. I'm leaning towards Lenna for the better heal and +RES trumping Reraise.
Hastega - Paine SSB or Garnet SSB (Hastega + 50% RES).

Paine gives me an AoE (Wind/Earth) and access to Knight and Spellblade 5, while Garnet gives me a second source of WHM 4 for ProShellga and backup healing or summon utility. Either works, I guess. Paine probably ekes out because of RES buff overlap and Knight being super good.

I suppose the bottom line is what should I be looking out for on banners? Currently I'm budgeting two pulls for OSBFest and three for Minfilia 1, but where those pulls are going during OSBFest is a big question. I'm feeling like one on Banner 3 would be decent, but I'm not sure any of the others really strengthen my position any. I feel like I wait and see where my chips fall after Minfilia and if it goes really badly, I throw a pull on Tyro 2 to see if I can get SG/Shout, maybe.

• Locked thread