Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Protector's Roar synergizes really well with Aeris' Burst and made the CM real easy for me. I have Moogle Dance so I ended up running Cait alongside them with my extra diaga from Nightmare Evrae and they were both hitting 9999 with them. I think I'm going to be using Red a lot, I have so many good white Mage soul breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I thought the Daedalus fight was kicking my rear end until I realized Cecil was self sustaining with his first burst command while everyone else dropped. He soloed the final quarter of his health bar. Got mastery too, medal requirements are really lax these days.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

It's not so bad to hone a couple to rank two if you got all the 6 star motes from the event a while back. I pretty much always use either Faris or Yuffie with a thief's revenge/mug bloodlust combo and 4 uses of Sky High turns your dragoon into a meat grinder if you have a wind imperil.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My Josef say he can eat 50 eggs, he can eat 50 eggs.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Question for goons playing the Japanese version: Do any bosses start resisting imperil effects? I just realized how much mithril I put into trying to get solid imperil teams and I would be screwed if they started getting phased out.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Look guys, Noel is one of the most underrated Final Fantasy characters of all time and the fact that I never pulled a relic for him doesn't change that. Just deal, okay?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Had the best luck I've had in a while. 100 mithril got me two Lust Daggers, Elder Staff, White Mage Robe, Heroic Shield and the Onion Bracers. And an FF1 shield with protectga on It.

I do not know this Onion Child so I will imagine he is the vegetable knight thing from Chrono Cross. I think he was a turnip.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Noel's ....sword? Shield on a stick? With go fast holes?

Anywho, sorry friend Noel but I already have Faris' BSB so see you next CM.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Looking at Noel since I got his burst and it's pretty funny. He is just so close to being a really good character. Just one more star in thief would do it. A physical character being able to carry protectga/shellga is obviously pretty great but he just can't do anything else like knights can.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can dive him for it, but he won't have the speed for 5 hits without Burst. Also loses out on Mug Bloodlust.

Thanks, that's good to know, Thief's Revenge plus Shellga/protectga isn't a bad loadout and I'll be having haste up for anything important anyway so he will get his five hits in. It at least opens up some options for using him. Still, having to dive for it is a pretty big investment.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

But he'll never have enough speed for 5 hit TR. Even with Burst mode.

(Maybe at level 99? But he still doesn't have an MC3 in JP I don't think, sooooo.....)

Diving Noel for Thief 5 is a trap.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Haste doesn't actually boost Speed, so just a warning that it won't do anything for TR.

Whoa, thanks, I had no idea. Welp. Noel is bad.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

That Necrophobe fight was fun as heck. It was really cool being able to build up SB charges in relative safety then jump into the fire and flip all the barriers, launch your soul breaks then try to switch them all off again. I really like these gimmick nightmare fights with the exception of Kaiser Dragon (because he never switched to lightning or water for like 5 fights in a row) and Guardian because who the gently caress can reliably time thier ATB with the boss like that?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Zyla posted:

yo ucan do solo raid bosses in multiplayer now for 0 stam and it will drop and unlock missing rms if you meet the criterion to unlock them otherwise

This owns. 4 free RMs so far.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

For Ahriman I skipped Wall and relied on breakdowns and Renewing Rains and damage raced him.

Luneth- Swordshower (Blood of the Wyvern/Sky High) - Air Raid
Onion Knight- Vessel of Fate (Full Break/Magic Breakdown) - Dr Mog's
Refia - N/A - Meteor Crush/ Sapphire Shot - World Traveller
Ingus - N/A - Saints Cross/ Venom Buster - Azure Blade
Arc - Renewing Rains - Curaga/ Diaga- Mako Might

RM- Eternal Wind

Had to start over a couple times to get Venom Buster to stick early but otherwise Luneth and Refia summoned Luneth's Burst and just ground him up. With Sky High and Swordshower Luneth at one point did 160,000 damage in three turns.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I'll be making at least one pull on FF8 because my soul breaks for that realm are poo poo and the FF8 cast perhaps more then any other rely on SBs to be useful. It's a bit better now that it's worthwhile to run mixed magic and physical teams but still.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ok here's my setup for Ahriman. Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

What are your SBs and RW? Also are those the Onion Knights Gauntlets? But you're not using him? Two healers probably isn't going to fly either. Any wind abilities you could be using?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Fang BSB, Cid goggles SB, Faris BSB, Selphie magic blink SB, and SS2. My plan is to imperil Wind, then use Cid's Big Brawl, then Lifesyphon and repeat.

RW is 99 Shout.

Again, my problem is that he spams aoe 3 times before I get off Shout/Wall/Faris. On the few runs where I survived to get every buff and debuff in place, he stones either Y'shtola or Selphie. Worse yet, even with Protectga/Shellga/SS2, he has aoe attacks that still do 1,000+ damage. I don't have any FF3 synergy other than OK and he's only level 85 so he's not good enough to do anything useful yet.

Edit:. Cid goggles is not a BSB

I don't know what your hones are like but I would put Blind Shell and Poison Shell on Cid and give him that Ace Striker/Battleforged RM you have on Selphie. Landing blind will help you with incoming damage and stop petrify and poison ticks for 5000 damage. If early fight damage is too much you might not be able to wait for Faris' BSB and need to use a normal breakdown setup. Also hitting his wind weakness will charge you Soul Break Guage about as fast as life siphon I believe.

Honestly only having one instant Soul Break gauge RM might be you biggest issue and your number 1 priority in the whole game should be getting the other. They are both for breaking the second level cap, Mako Might from Cloud and Dr Mog's Teachings is dropped by Tyro.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Y'shtola is my wall and I can't do this without wall. I also already pointed out that I have Faris' BSB for breakdowns.

You might also check your inventory and see which elemental resist accesories you have. If you picked up a Necrophobe ward or one of the gigas armlets they do really, really well here.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I don't know how you can leave a guaranteed burst on the table, I mean you can still pull duds on those FF8 banners.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I don't know, he said he has 6 and there are 39 bursts on that banner, most of them useful. You can still pull Galbadian Elite Armor on the FF8 banner. I'd definitely pull.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I have well over 100 of each Major Orb type and over 200 Power and Black but I am still wringing my hands over honing these chain spells. I wouldn't even be considering it but I pulled Rinoa's burst. I can't even use my rosetta stones. This is a cell phone game, this is hosed up.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I'm still holding out hope they dive into other series. This game is just one leap away from giving me my childhood dream of beating the poo poo out of Algus with a party of Citan Uzuki, Aya Brea, Sydney Losstarot, Lucca and a Chocobo. Oh they should add the iconic monsters as characters by the way.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Introduce a Beastmaster class and give it to like Gau, Guy and Serah and so forth. Make chocobos and behemoths and such recruitable. Monsters only get record synergy if someone with Beastmaster 5 is in the party. Most Beastmaster skills should be buffs for monster types.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Pulling those three Ice Rods trying for Shout back in the day is kind of paying off now that I have Rinoa's burst.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

One thing that bothers me is when someone is charging their SB then you can't see the health bar of the guy above. So if you have a few guys charging it can be hard to know if you need to launch a medica. Like a lot of things this could be a simple fix by being able to view party status in the pause screen.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Has anyone ever played around with Wrath/ Entrust shenanigans? I keep forgetting entrust even exists. Like maybe if you had two Wind burst users against a boss weak to wind then it might be worth using a character as a wrath and entrust battery to keep them flowing or if you are doing a CM and only one dude has a good damage soul break? I don't know, it just seems like a weird skill to have just sitting there in 5 star land.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I'm kind of in love with multiplayer. It's so frantic and just being able to experiment with so many combinations is really fun. My favorite duo so far for brute force and aesthetic reasons is Paladin Cecil with saints cross and his burst and an Exdeath with Dark Zone/Memento Mori and Neo Almagest.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I've been pairing up Zidane with his burst and Luneth with Swordshower for MP and my God is it a thing of beauty to build SB charges until the final half of Amadine and then just unleash. Had Swordshower doing 75,000 damage per cast.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Man, I wish there was a stamp that just said Equip Elemental Resist Accessories with maybe a cute as heck picture of Eiko covered in soot and smoke or something.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I didn't think I'd be tempted but that is a hell of a lot of bursts on that banner without uniques diluting the pool. Like 8 I think. Vaan, Rikku, Tidus, Locke, Shadow, Tyro, Zidane and Lightning.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Leila's gloves are multi hit damage plus atk/res buff and debuff. That sounds insanely useful. Have those shown up before?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

After finishing the Nightmare fights from this round, I noticed I was one Holy Crystal away from Curada, since I wasn't able to master that stupid Guardian fight. Fortunately I went back to some old Nightmares I did back when I was just starting out, and mastered Gi Nattak for a Holy Crystal. Now I have Curada, though I'm not sure what to do with it, since only 4 uses isn't going to be able to replace my R5 Curaja, meaning it's not good enough for longer content, and for shorter content, Curaja works fine anyway.

Kind of off the subject but I actually still have never made curaja and I've done all the content the game has ever thrown at us except Parade Float and the final boss of the first ever event which I think was Rufus. I have had native wall since the first ff14 banner though.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

djfooboo posted:

Nobody I know wants to play this game even though I have tons of JRPG friends :(

Also the people complaining about multiplayer scrubs obviously aren't being leaders and kicking people with whack abilities/SB/equipment that dont fit boss. I have only died twice since multiplayer started.

A huge part of the fun of multiplayer is dragging scrubs over the finish line. God bless every Tyro that uses Celebration Grimoire when they also have Sentinels. You are my precious babies and I love you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looks like JP is getting a buff to Imperils: Imperils can now be stacked (so something like Freezing Barrage on top of Freezing Barrage), and you can have Imperils of different elements applied at once.

In other words, elemental teams are going to get really good.

I love the imperil system, I think it was a really smart way to keep variety among teams and strategies.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 14, 2016

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Dropped 50 on a whim and had probably my best pull in a long time. Cloud's overstrike, two pairs of Cid's goggles, Cid's shout clone and Angeal's sword.

I already have Zidane's burst and Luneth's Swordshower so my wind team is ridiculous.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Varance posted:

JP Update: Latest FF5 event is very watery. Lots of water-based soul breaks, plus Chain Waterga.

Gogo is Black/White/Bard 5 and has caster stats, so he's only well-suited for mimicking magic/support abilities.

New soul breaks:

Krile parks her meteor wherever she wants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8mFE6fWyA
Gogo teaches Strago how to do Aqua Breath properly, then mimics stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MZyOQUSjnE
.... and his SSB is Onion Knight BSB without the burst commands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ZnSGaSI1s
Bartz's drowns things with his second BSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYiEeOW7Hb8

Krile always gets the best soul breaks.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I'm just hoping for more Aethereal Pulse RWs after this FF14 event. It seems like I lose my whole stable with every new banner.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Q: why take aetherial pulse as a RW rather than keeper's tome?

I'd rather have high regen. Blinks are great but their usefulness over high regen would come down to timing and I don't want to tie that to my application of pro shellga. Also I use cleansing strike quite a bit and since my wall is on my healer I have difficulty squeezing high regen in elsewhere.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 17, 2016

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Prav posted:

i've just seen her sprite and i still wouldn't call her cool

It's hard for anyone other then the player character to be cool in FF14. Like Thancred did a matrix dodge once I think and Yshtola and Yda almost pulled off an assassination ambush of a lovely character but thats about it.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Noooo, please come back soon multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Man people weren't kidding about taking the Gil turtle things seriously. I was still RM hunting and wiped.

• Locked thread