Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Ground floor of this dumb gay but actually good phone game

So, I'm thinking about pulling on the Keeper's Choice 2 banner. It's not a slam dunk but there's definite pros and cons.

Pros:
* SG, which I don't have;
* The only shared SB I have are those Royal Scepters they handed out earlier in the year and a shared Medica on a weapon has its obvious limits so Tungsten Bangle would actually be relevant;
* My only XIII SB is Crushing Blow; I do not count Blaze Rush and Deprotega because... well, come on now;
* Gilgamesh Morphing Time

Cons:
* I already have Excalibur V, Platinum Sword and Stardust Rod, making the odds of redundant dupes somewhat high;
* Related to the first bullet point, everything that isn't a CM I'm able to do handily so I don't really need these starter items;
* The banner will be around for a whole year or so, I can hold on to the OSB Fest and see what banner SG (which is the one thing I really want from this banner) lands on.

Leaning towards pulling right now because Always Be Pulling and I have yet to pull on a G5 banner but the banner will be around for a while yet. Decisions, decisions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Bah, of course I'd nimbly dodge around getting either of the two items I actually want.

As it so often is with these things, that's a good pull. It is! A good Medica for Vanille, 6*+ to boot, I can make Excalibur V into a 6*+ as well and Twin Lance is going to do work on Fire- and Wind-weak bosses but dammit, I'm still disappointed. I almost wish I'd whiffed on all four of the items I didn't have yet so I could justify pulling again to myself. Right now, though, with only SG and Masamune V unclaimed, I'd be throwing good Mythril after bad. Oh well, 500 Mythril and counting chasing a Wall; others have spent much more, I'm sure.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 9, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Wilekat posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing but this seems kinda fun. Should I just be focusing on blasting the basic storymode stuff to begin with? I kinda got distracted by those special events that let me unlock characters, but they devour my crap stamina limit.

I also have a ton of growth eggs for some reason, so should I just go ahead and burn these on whoever or hold on to them until I have some clue what I'm doing?

The relic page reminds me of a Geocities site from the early 2000s.

Realm-based events are good, they're time-limited and contain the best bang for your stamina buck by far reward-wise. Always get as far as you can in realm-based events before they're gone. Daily events come back and their progress is saved from week to week so there's no need to rush them just yet. That said, Sundays are EXP daily event days and experience is an extremely valuable resource when you're starting out (and in general, really, I never skip a Sundaily myself) so I'd consider doing them to get a squad of five characters up to level 80 as soon as possible. The rest of the time, though, you are indeed better off hitting the story dungeons to build up a large Mythril pool and to get your Stamina up so you can get by without checking your phone every three hours. Once story dungeons become too hard or the Stamina intake starts slowing down, which should come at around 120 Stamina, you can reassess your priorities. As for eggs, what characters are you using and what relics do you have? When you're starting off, your best characters will always be characters you have unique Soul Break equipment for. Post what items you've pulled here and we can guide you a little better.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Wilekat posted:

drat it you guys, you're making Keeper 2 seem like the smart choice but Cloud the pick that's so crazy it might just work.

The only 5* i have right now is the Blitz Sword it gave me as my starter relic, so I genuinely have nothing right now. If I go Keeper 2, which of the choices am I best going with, then? Red Armlet seems like a decent pick because it's generic?

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Bear in mind Keeper 2 isn't going anywhere any time soon. If you wanna drop a pull on your favorite final fantasy or the chance of a crazy relic like Ragnarok (:getin:), then go for it, especially if you're early on. Any relic you get from these banners (unless you get some reaaaally abysmal off-banner pull) is going to be able to carry you for a while. Hell, even a lovely off-banner pull should still be able to carry you up through about the first half of most event elites-- that's about as far as I was getting back in the dark days of non-G5 when I didn't have a single soul break.

keeper 2 is really good though, so it is the smart choice

It really does bear to mention that the #1 Rule to Pulling is to pull for favorites. It's not too uncommon for someone to come into this thread having pulled an amazing relic for a character they don't like and being disappointed about it. That's normal! Right now, the best banner to pull on for you is Tyro's Selection 2. It has Shout and Sentinel's Grimoire, which will long-term be your best options, both because the effects themselves are genuinely game-changing and because the characters they're on perform vital functions in difficult content, Ramza in providing the Support 5 Full Break/____ Breakdown combo, Tyro in providing access to all equipment and abilities, no matter what they are, at the cost of lower stats. The other five relics were also curated to be decent options on very good characters (Squall, Gilgamesh, Terra, Bartz, Vanille); no actual bombs, but perfectly serviceable. The free starter pick will also give you another 5* piece of equipment to make you just that little bit stronger with some proofing for future content where your character selection is limited to realm-specific characters, though we're getting ahead of ourselves. That said, if you have a particular fondness for Cloud, Aerith, Cid or Red XIII, now is the time to pull. The Tyro's Selection 2 banner will be around for almost a whole year; the Cloud banner will be going away sometime Monday after next. Similarly, while the upcoming Eiko 1 banner that has a lot of people here talking has more of a veteran bent, it's not like pulling its top prizes wouldn't be great for you and if you have a soft spot for Eiko, Beatrix, Quina or even Freya or Garnet, all the better. Basically, pulling on TS2 is the smart choice but if you want a chance at Wind God Cloud or fancy the idea of Eiko being your healer for many months to come, the Cloud or Eiko banners could be the right choices.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I wound up using Sheepsong Krile, Blood of Espers Terra, Dreamstage Selphie, Neo Almagest Exdeath and War Dance Penelo with Divine Judgment RW. Penelo used Heathen Frolic Sarabande and Multi Break, (how is this not Multi Breakdance, HOW IS IT NOT) Krile and Terra did fire damage and Exdeath used both RW casts to deal Holy damage. Two casts of Dreamstage, one cast of Neo Almagest, high regen from Sheepsong, Fire resist accessories on everybody and Diamond Weapon's bizarre insistence on not ever using Stamp Out once its core closed made incoming damage comically manageable.

CM may be doable, but it'd be a hell of a challenge. I don't think I can do it magically; Cait Sith is level 1, my only magic synergy weapon is a Guard Stick, I don't have a magical weapon for Red XIII period and I haven't gotten around to collecting Hardened Assassin yet. Conversely, my physical synergy is pretty strong. Dolphin Blow for Tifa, Black Materia for Sephiroth and Fenrir Overdrive for Cloud, with Healing Wind for Aerith and Clear Tranquil for Yuffie. It's all non-elemental, though, and I don't think I can do this any other way than with Shout. Incoming damage is going to be a bitch, too. It's that or burn a whole bunch of eggs for three MFOs, which doesn't sound particularly worthwhile.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have three Magic Blink healing SBs (Rosa's, Selphie's and Ovelia's).

lol what the gently caress that's all of them. How'd that even happen?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god gently caress this I loving knew this was going to be poo poo. Three rainbows, Steinercalibur, Freya Spear, oh come on baby that next orb has got to be- nope nevermind another Freya spear.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

guuuh I'm so loving salty, three orbs and once again I gracefully manage to tiptoe around any of the items I would've been okay pulling. These were my two please god nos.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

18 hours later I'm still mad about my Excalibur IX/Trident/Trident pull. I honestly wish I could've blanked. At least that way the disappointment would've been over with when I saw the orbs. Not going to pull again, though, I can't handle the thought of getting one more of these useless loving stat sticks. I'll chase Hamelin elsewhere.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Grozz Nuy posted:

Stat sticks by definition are not useless! Do I really need to go host the screenshot of my first G5 pull? Hell, I had so many 0/11 pulls in the 3 months before it started that I stopped saving pictures of them. Excalibur IX boosts holy and 5* spears are hard to come by for characters that need them! Not every pull can be three OSBs, Jesus Christ.

You're right, of course, but clearly you can tell I'm venting, right? Fact is I felt worse about that pull than any blank I've had. That's just how it is.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Climhazzard was Excalibur-learned in FFIX and it's non-elemental. Credit to them for sticking to the source when designing that element of the SB, viability be damned. The question is where the DEF equation part comes in because it didn't work like that in FFIX. I guess something has to be low tier.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

5k bio :lol: alright, respect where respect is due. Proper reapplication of Wall and heading into the Meltigemini phase with Paladin Force and Cleansing Strike charging took care of business easily enough, I managed to dodge Bio altogether and would've survived it had it gone off, but I will definitely bow out of doing CM for this one. I managed to do the FFVII one by doing the Vincent Divine Judgment thing but that was on a boss that was peculiarly survivable with Fire resist accessories and using an all-back row formation. I have zero magical synergy for IX and I'm not going digging for it on this banner. No one past level 65 other than Beatrix, either, and Rose of May won't help here. Ditto for Six Dragons and Sword Art Climhazzard. No, these three MPOs will have to go unclaimed.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

The top prizes are basically Firion and Maria's BSBs, so I guess decide if you want to chase a good physical BSB or a pretty top-tier mage BSB.

On that note, if those are all you're interested in chasing, it might be better to wait for OSB Fest. Yes, banners change between JP and Global, but they don't tend to remove big ticket items that people would be willing to chase after. They'll shuffle items between banners and specifically target god banners to break them up so people don't save up for one specific no-doy banner (RIP JP SSBFest banner 4, too beautiful for our gaijin shores) but Sun Blade and Artemis Bow II are highly desirable items that people will spend for. I know that's what I'm doing, I may only have Lord of Arms for Firion and Hand of the Emperor for Leon but I'm not desperate to fix my synergy right here and now so I'd rather wait for the side prizes on these two items to be more appealing.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Was there a reason they showed Celes using Magic Lure in her video?

Her OSB gains potency the more often she gets targeted by magic. Don't know starting potency or how much it increases by every time she's targeted, though.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

That's not even a summon from FXII, amusingly enough. I mean, it's a summon, from the game, but it's not a summon from the game. Not an Esper. You know what I meant :mad:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

:mad: Dammit game that's not an Orichalcum D- wait, that first bow was a Burst? What's this!?

Ha! I didn't recognize Artemis Bow V by sight so it showing up first on my three orbs made me think it was some random who-gives-a-gently caress SB bow. I guess not! This is pretty fuckin' sweet! Pyroclasm does mean I have to give up on Orichalcum Dirk, though. At the very least it won't happen on a XII banner. Pyroclasm on Vaan, Apocalypse Shield on Basch, Mist Overload on Fran, Strahl Strafe on Balthier and War Dance on Penelo? Yeah, chasing that dragon is just a bad idea now. Not that it wasn't even when all I had for Vaan was Windburst but still. Ark Blast will happen on Lucky Draws or Festival Banners or it won't happen at all. Oh well, this is me not giving a poo poo because I got me some of that Faris flexibility :toot:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

bilperkins2 posted:

Caved and did the lucky draw - Thancred's daggers. Don't be like me and cave to all the good pulls in the thread.

Always Be Pulling :shrug: I mean, this is a banner with a discounted shot at Orichalcum Dirk, you almost have to try on that basis alone. I'm 2/2 on pulling the not-Orichalcum Dirk BSB item on Lucky Banners that have it (got Razzmatazz off Celerity last time around) though so I may not be the best judge of value. Come to think of it, both times I got a SB fist weapon, a XII SSB and the non-Orichalcum Dirk BSB. Go figure. I don't pull on all the Lucky banners but this is one of the banners with some of the better high-end prizes.

djfooboo posted:

We already swimming in them,

Define "we". This one's going to be my 5th KO resist item so it's definitely welcome. Confuse resistance I'm fine having on just the White Mage so she can whack other Confused characters but gravity/instant KO attacks are either often AOE or you really don't want one to land. Not everyone is day 1.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Yeah, the U++ isn't too hard to bring down if you can scare up a Wall somehow. If you have native Wall, you can either RW Paladin Force or throw all the AoE you have at the problem with a RW Shout or Sheepsong. If you don't have native Wall, you can still probably try throwing said "all the AoE" at the problem with a RW Wall. I could switch my RW to Paladin Force if need be, even.

e: never mind, not going to do that, the poster above me has me beat. I only have Masamune II for realm synergy, might as well go with the guy with the Sun Blade.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Blood of the Wyvern/Dragoon Jump? Is... is this a trick question?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Wilekat posted:

Thanks for the advice!

Looking at upcoming banners, I feel like I should just be saving like crazy for the Y'shtola banner? I don't really have any specific damage targets, and it feels like that one could cover all my needs.

You have 61 Stamina, you still have a ton of Mythril to pick up from story dungeons. At least 500! I mean, yes, the Minfilia 1 banner is worth saving 200 Mythril for (and maybe even more) without a doubt but you'll have plenty of Mythril to spend before you get there. If you manage to do all the Ult+ fights (Ult++ is less important) with what you have then I suppose it doesn't matter but I doubt it, you have good relics for having so few but your selection doesn't allow for a slam dunk A-Team, I'm afraid. Go ahead and prove me wrong but I'd wager you will need to shore up your relics a bit to be able to do difficult content comfortably. At least look into spending some on the Onion Knight 1 banner when it comes around and I wouldn't discount tossing a pull here and there at Lucky banners and at the Fest banners depending on how they end up looking.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I did non-CM Ifrit physically and it ran me out of hones and there were a few times where incoming damage threatened to drop someone, and that was with Cleansing Strike Agrias and Dreamstage Selphie. Granted, I went with my usual team (Shout Ramza, Paladin Force Cecil, Faithful Companion Gilgamesh, the aforementioned two) which wasn't optimized for the fight as I refused to craft a second copy of Blizzara Strike so my only ice damage was Blizzara Strike from Agrias and Ice Jump from Gilgamesh but it was genuinely close. I don't have access to options that'd let me do him CM-style yet. He's tough!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I don't think this has been posted yet: https://www.ffrkcentral.com/blog/2016/10/30/upcoming-in-app-announcement-halloween-2016-c

We knew most of what we were going to get for Halloween: 25 Mythril, that one hat and throwing pumpkin, the double Greens, the costumes... but the details of what will be available in the Gysahl exchange are up and of particular interest are two extra copies of the Evil Lantern and Witch's Hat and :siren: Freelancer Galuf and Lenna :siren:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Cloudy Wolf comes back with the AC Tifa event, not Angeal. That's probably four months-ish away. It's the only previously released costume I don't have and will probably get it for 2K or less, likely won't bother for more than that.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Of all the things, it's the U I had to retreat and restart on. I got supremely lazy and chose not to refresh for a Wall, figuring a RW Ark Blast would do. It did not. I also didn't equip any of my Ice resistance gear. Result: Crushing Blow not quite killing the Azers, Paladin Force doing bupkis because they're immune to Holy (Ceciiiiiiiiiiil :argh:) and the damage piling up just high enough before I could drop them that I decided it wasn't worth S/Ling for and took the Stamina hit. The shame... the shame. Non-CM Ahriman was easy enough, didn't want to bother with it before heading out, saving it for tonight. Daedalus... hoo boy! I have just about as good a team as you can hope for for that fight: PForce Cecil, Cleansing Strike Agrias, Dreamstage Selphie, Shout Ramza, Pyroclasm Vaan (I did say just about). drat if I didn't have to S/L a few times and still lost two people on the successful attempt, though. Motherfucker hits hard.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

are the freelancer costumes ever going to be properly released or best to buy them now for the completionist in me

I wouldn't chance it and buy them now. The only costumes that were rereleased so far are Gunner Yuna from the last YRP event and Cloudy Wolf that'll be coming with the Tifa AC event. Not to mention it'd be kind of a dick move to put them up for sale now and give them for free later.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

For the people who needed the Halloween Mythril to pull on a Larsa banner, I feel you, but it might be worth shooting an e-mail to support in order to ask them to extend the event. Event extensions are not unheard of, it happened with Shirtless Sephiroth when they messed up the CM conditions (which was in our favor, to boot) and since they apparently can't deliver the hanging Mythril before the ETA, this might be your best shot at it.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

My favorite Core character fact remains that big tough Dark Knight, one of the higher end HP characters among the Cores, has single digit more hp than Literal Children Palom, Porom and Vivi.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Dollar pull... Beast Killer? Okay, sure, why not! Won't be useful in a million places but I can think of one where it'll come in handy. Man, I'm just running out of excuses for not being able to do CM Ifrit by the minute.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/learn-katakana/

Aside from WoL's BSB and Ovelia's SSB, all of them are straight transliterations. Educate yo'self

Do not learn katakana or encourage people to learn katakana jesus christ. I learned it and I've been a self-loathing mess ever since.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

It's a joke. Mostly.

Real answer is I studied and can read kana and it mostly serves as a shameful reminder that I couldn't hack it and quit. It's come in handy, a little, but it's not particularly worth the effort. IMO anyway.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Aw, Riot Blade and nothing else on the pull. It'll do, but with this and whiffing on Golden Hairpin on the Eiko banner, Water God Tidus isn't meant to be.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Adel posted:

Thanks for the reply. Is the initial debuff the same ID as full breakdown/multi break or do they stack? I wonder if his BSB could replace the need to bring defensive breaks.

It is the same ID as Full Break/Multi Break, yes, so you can't stack those but the Burst commands are Power Breakdown and Magic Breakdown so there is no need to bring defensive breakdowns at all. Unfortunately, Wakka's skillset pretty much means that you're opening up Armor/Mental Breakdown and Affliction Break. Still, AoE Full Breakdown is nothing to scoff at.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

SageAcrin posted:

Of course, finding the RW isn't exactly easy... I found some other weird corner situation where I wanted the darned thing, complained about it for two weeks because I could never get it despite spamming refresh, and ended up keeping a constant eye out for Machinations RWs... so I dunno if that's gonna be possible. But hey, if you can get it, it's something to try if the mage end doesn't work.

Have I got news for you! Just go to that link, enter a SB name in the Search bar and voila.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Bell_ posted:

OSB's seem like a bomb that's ideally dropped after you've already launched your BSB. My ideal run with Terra would be BSB, whichever command gets me the most x2 or 3 and smashing face with her OSB after that. Not that I have her OSB yet, but I'm saving for that banner.

Terra's BSB is... well, it's not bad per se, but there's no synergy with her OSB. I'm thinking you meant her Enspell, which is her second SSB.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I have Shout and Sheepsong both so Vessel of Fate is something I can definitely fall back on RWing if it comes to that but if you don't have a Boostga or Faithga, you kind of want to go deep on it. It's the next big game changer and nothing's come out that's as game-warping since.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

While the temporary death of the Water God Tidus dream is unfortunate, I really can't complain about having just Razzmatazz anyway. It's a gimmick against water-weak bosses, sure, but if they're going to insist on making all X content weak to water in order to justify the existence of said gimmick then I ain't gonna argue.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I'm pretty sure anyone having problems with the Ultimate Pigtrio is trying to do it with synergy kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

What I'm curious about is why they're coming out with this new thing with only three USBs out. Maybe they intend for them to coincide?

• Locked thread