Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

djfooboo posted:

Even if it is correct why would you waste the time? Seems dumb as hell considering the amount of S/L involved in getting it to proc.

20% chance means 4/5 times you would be reloading...

It would absolutely be worth S/Ling for a 20% proc for double EXP, like super worth it.

Zurai posted:

There are five USBs (Tyro, Faris, Eiko, Aerith, Vanille). USBs aren't really a new tier of SB, they're just the heal/utility version of OSBs.

Right, I forgot about the ones released post-Anniversary. Still, I would've thought they'd have ramped up production of OSBs/waited until they had more than five of the new type/waited six months before introducing a New Thing. I thought wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Time > A roster full of 99's

What if my time is worthless and the exchange rate is still favorable :chord:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

On the topic of Raf(ph)a and Mala(ch)k (they need a good translation bridging nickname like Orlando imo) I would assume they decided it was about high time FFT had access to some mages. That game is predisposed towards sword wielders and Knights for obvious reasons. Meliadoul's the best fit for a FFT Dragoon, though, and I don't see her getting upstaged by... who's left by now? Beowulf and Reis?

Also if that event doesn't finally give us Buttpants Ramza I will flip my poo poo. I'll take Mercenary Ramza if I have to but c'mon DeNA gimme the buttpants I'll pay you five million dollars

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Absolutely grab Faris, you need a Support 5 character for any content worthy of the name and Beryl Serpent gives you the all-important Full Break and defensive breakdowns that make the skillset mandatory, which opens up her skill slots to her considerable skillset. Fire Lash is also something you should jump on, it's Hastega, High Regen and a magic buff to your whole team. Magic is a little harder to make work on beginner hones but Sheepsong goes a long way towards helping with that. Vega and Ehrgeiz, meanwhile, you can sit on. Laguna is kind of loose and Freezing Barrage works if you can put together an Ice-focused team, which you won't be for a long time. If by any chance you meant Vega 42s for Sazh, that's a little better but not all that much, you have Sheepsong for Hastega and that's pretty much what that one's for. Ehrgeiz, meanwhile, is unimpressive. It's better than Freezing Barrage for a beginner but it's a lower priority. If you get nothing better a few weeks from now, which is unlikely to be honest, you can reassess.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I can't begin to presume to know what the best strategy is to get people to spend Mythril and entice them to buy Gems but it's like 50/50 from where I'm sitting that the banner will be one-off, in which case it's appealing enough to get you to spend for sure and probably get something good but not everything you need and you're still pulling in the future but you're just takking a nibble out of people's Mythril reserves, or at will, in which case you will get people dumping a lot of Mythril into it but you run a higher risk of people hitting a critical mass of Good poo poo where they don't feel the need or want to pull in the near future.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Off the top of my head, the top 5, no particular order, are Vaan, Firion, Ashe, Maria and Eiko.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I won't lie, I'll be a bit disappointed if I don't get OK BSB in two 11-pulls, but that's still just a 30.31% chance, so I'll be perfectly happy with Luneth's BSB, OK's SSB, or Arc's new SSB.

What "sucks" (world's largest airquotes) is that I was pretty resolute about not chasing Vessel of Fate before Ramza's brand new USB was revealed. I love Tictacs and Ramza to death, whereas Onion Knight is a red nobody from a game I don't care about. I thought I'd be happy just getting by with Shout and Sheepsong... but Vessel of Fate, and Onion Knight, really are that good. And there's good, solid synergy for an OK/Ramza pairing in the future. If I want to keep using my boy Ramza without him feeling redundant, pointless or outdated, I'll need new SBs for him to pair with Vessel of Fate. Chant would be good but the new USB buff would be absolutely perfect... and of course, for that pairing to matter at all, I'll need the Onion Gauntlets. So now I'm going from one don't give a gently caress pull on OK 1 to gauging how many pulls I can afford to spare for that one item, complete with potential heavy disappointment, whereas I didn't even want it that much as little as a week ago. gently caress!!!

Shoenin posted:

and with that, I bid so long guys, I am done with this game for good if its going to give me a giant gently caress you like this.

Yeah, that's probably a good call. Nine tenths of your posts in this thread and the last were bitching, you'll be happier not bothering. Honest.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

And the real kicker is that the new Dragoon ability is a thunder element 4-hitter. Thus far, the only elemental 4-hitters have been Burst commands and those are definitely powered at 4* level. Dragoon's Glory-powered Lightning Dives are almost definitely going to hit for 40K on thunder-weak enemies.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The power creep is real, but people who started at launch have in general far superior hones and more ability diversity. That's not something to dismiss out of hand.

I mean... if you were the worst person in the world, like a real boring piece of work, you could start an account today and spend nothing. Just gather Mythril and get as far in events as you can on little to no Mythril spent. Then, in six months, you go on a spending spree on whatever the new hotness is. Reap the benefits of months of orb gathering and having a ton of Mythril to spend on whatever the new hotness is. You COULD do this... but who ever would? At some point, getting items now is just more fun.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Not to mention the psychological aspect of sitting on all this Mythril and the very real risk of disappointment when you blank on whatever pie in the sky scenario of pulling whatever ideal set of relics you dreamed up. Or even just one particular relic. Someone once asked if JP was better or if it just seemed better, grass is always greener and all that, since people usually post about it in the context of "I started a JP account and look at this cool future poo poo I got :circlefap:". While I'm a Global player or nothing since I have no interest in playing the game if I can't read it (and I won't become fluent in written Japanese for a phone game so let's not even go there) and don't think we lose out on anything, I feel DeNA Global is fair to us, I do sometimes think our future sight is double-edged. I mean, when Orlandeau dropped in Japan, it was a surprise. If you get something for him it's like whoa, check out this poo poo, and if you don't, well, how could you have known? Other than chasing and landing Platinum Sword, many of the most satisfying pulls I've had were on lucky banners where I had no real expectations. Some hopes, sure, but definitely no expectations. It's going to be a lot worse to walk away from OK1 without Onion Gauntlets for us than it was for JP players because for them, it came out of the blue whereas for us, lots of people have been holding their nut in for six months. Blueballing here is going to suck bad for those who will drop 300+... now imagine always playing the game like that, just constantly putting off for something better.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I used to wonder, you know, is Full Break really that mandatory? I never failed to take it anywhere but I thought that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't a must? :lol: nope, apparently if you don't use defensive Breakdowns the Calcas and Brinas can hit you for 1300 through Shell and Wall. Who knew! I still beat the U++ without triggering the Calcabrina phase but it was pure, ugly Physical brute force. Abes All-star + AoE command, Paladin Force + AoE command and Hallowed Bolt (of all things!) did the job, but just barely. Selphie died and I had to race the last 25% or so of the puppets' health without healing coming in. Really starting to reconsider my budget to allocate more pulls for magical stuff because this barely hacked it. Of course, if I just had SG, I could've brought Multi Break Tyro...

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Orfeo posted:

I mean, this is largely an intellectual exercise. Lucky Draw BSB Banner, I'm pulling whether or not Onion Knight and Luneth are on there. It'd just be gravy if I had a chance on them there too.

Well, there is a practical concern here too. If all you're after is the Onion Gauntlets, waiting two days won't kill you. It's a small, 2% chance to pull them if they're even in there, sure, but it's 25 Mythril saved on the off-chance you do. It's not about whether the BSB banner is worth pulling on, it is, for everyone, doesn't matter how many BSBs you have, it's about determining how you approach the OK1 banner.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Why would you bring Kick to an Ifrit fight. Of all the things.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i've been playing this phone game casually on and off for a year now and have never thrown away an accessory and i have precisely one (1) fire resist accessory to my name so i don't know what you people are on about like they're just sitting in a pile unused in the corner

That's fair, but to be unfair, or fair in the other direction, the "off" part of that equation has to outweigh the "on". I've been at it for about eight months now and I've been pretty on the ball about using my Stamina, I definitely fall on the "serious player" side of the spectrum, and I have something like eight Fire Resist items. I mean, sure, most of those are limited edition. The Blaze Armlet in the Reraise Nightmare dungeon is the only one I have I could go get right now if I didn't have it. The rest was get 'em or lose 'em. Even if that's not the one you have, your "off" periods either coincided with the four or so events that gave away Fire resistance accessories or you just miss a lot of bonus fights in general. Again, that's fair, you not spending time on this silly phone game is probably a good sign, but they hand out a Fire resist accessory every other month.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

They've never done it before. I mean, if they wanted to create a whale banner, they could. Here, I'll do it right now: Ragnarok VII, Apocalypse, Onion Gauntlets, Hamelin, Orichalcum Dirk, Sun Blade, Rune-Graven Bow, Ashe's Defiance, Lightbringer, Platinum Sword, Sentinel's Grimoire, Thyrus. Here, almost every single piece of whale bait on one banner. They could do it but obviously haven't. There's no doubt a reason for that.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Plus the anniversary banner was, well, a 2nd anniversary thing. They went a little crazy for that. I don't see how Black Friday would rate something that special, I mean a one-time all Bursts banner is already plenty crazy.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Sure, no doubt. My point was only ever that it's not like they can't make whale banners. If all they were after was a one-time influx of cash from massive pulling, all they'd need to do is go on Reddit, ask any regular contributor to make up a banner containing their wildest desires and voilą. That every banner is a mix of gold and chaff is not an accident, there's no way they don't realize every banner they've ever made has booby prizes in 'em.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Gaia Cross being Earth damage is kind of a niche thing. Very little is weak to Earth but it's not super commonly resisted either. Holy, though, is an incredibly common weakness. Ever so slightly more often resisted or nulled, to be fair, but holy poo poo is it ever a common weakness. I went ahead and checked the next five weeks' worth of Ultimate fights for the hell of it and it's actually an uncharacteristically dry spell, with only two bosses out of 15 that are weak to it. Earth, meanwhile, gets a rare chance to shine: all of one boss is weak to it! That's more than the last three months combined! Okay, I lied, there was one boss fight that was weak to Earth, for one phase out of five: the U+ for the Mobius event. That's it. I went all the way back to the Greg event and that was it. Take my word for it that I lost count of the amount of fights that were weak to Holy on the way, it was a lot. Then you factor in the fact that Holy boosting swords are a) often attached to very appealing SBs and b) by far the most common element boosting piece of equipment. Gaia Cross is not arguably better than Saint Cross, it is unarguably worse.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

wait, does Gaia Cross grant Sentinel or Draw Fire? I was under the impression it was Draw Fire, which is +100% defense and doesn't attract magic?

Enlir's says Gaia's Cross triggers Draw Fire, you're right unless the spreadsheet is mistaken.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Note that "consider" in this scenario means "work into your calendar", you may not need them right away but you'll want them eventually. I would say your leveling priority should be the people you actually use, then Tidus and Ramza.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I still haven't decided which Rank 6 skill I'll hone. I probably never will hone any and just leave them in What If I Need A Rank 6 Ability In The Future limbo.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Y'all motherfuckers are making it hard for me to stay discipl

Beasteh posted:

I went off-banner/33 haha yeah I love this loving game

Discipline restored.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

quote:

Glow Egg

:tizzy:

Still, though, hot drat, Christmas came early this year.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I thought RWing Vessel of Fate for the Kain U+ would make me able to fulfill the CM for it. Ha ha, nope. When the enemies can hit for 1500 damage or so through ProShellga, the game is basically yelling "You have to bring a Wall, dumbass!"

I didn't bring a Wall, but I had to get a little creative and can afford to lean on Paladin Force. Leaning on Paladin Force has gotten me through a lot, not gonna lie. Team:

PCecil, Saint Cross/Lifesiphon, Paladin Force, Mako Might
DCecil, Dark Bargain/Lifesiphon, Soul Eater (30% ATK Boost), Dr. Mog's Teachings
Kain, Leeching Leap/Lightning Dive, Rising Drive, Illustrious Dragoon
Rosa, Shellga/Curaja, shared Tungsten Bangle medica, Cetra's Destiny
Porom, Protectga/Curaga, shared Royal Scepter medica, Desert Bloom

Equipment: synergy poo poo, whatever Thunder resist I had on hand

RW: good ol' Divine Guardian

Now granted, Paladin Force, plus Soul Eater giving me a Boostga meant I could just roll with Divine Guardian, but there are ways for this to work out. The Flan Master dies real quick to Lightning Dive, I didn't even need to use it more than twice and Rising Drive was useless, I ended up using it to finish off Flan Master when it was a hair away from defeat so most of its damage ended up being overkill. Is Divine Heal your only IV SB? If so, you may need to roll with two healers like I did. It's a game of rocket tag to drop Flan Master, cleanup after that should be manageable.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 24, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Lucky BSB Banner: Dupe Stardust Rod, which I honestly kind of saw that one coming, Masamune-Shinuchi. Could be better but could be a lot worse. At least it's a gimmick against really hard bosses and it actually ages well as enemy DEF goes up? Not really jumping for joy, but so it goes. Onward to the Onion banner pulls that were put off by my ironclad discipline! Pull #1: Lust Dagger. Pull #2: Heroic Shield... Lust Dagger. Maaaan... I get what I need, or at least I get things that allow me to do content and all, I very rarely actually strike out, but it's been a long rear end time since I actually pulled out an item I wanted from a non-Lucky banner. Last time I think was Dreamstage on the healer banner, however many months ago that was. Ah gently caress it, Onion Gauntlets will be back.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

UHD posted:

One rainbow. Cloud's thing.

I shouldn't really bitch because it's not a second Keeper's Tome but I'm still managing to be disappointed that a banner with potential to change my game... really didn't.

It's alright, let yourself be. Disappointed, I mean. I have Fenrir Overdrive and it's just really underwhelming. My ratty BSBs are Fenrir Overdrive, Lion's Roar and Blood of Espers and of these three, Fenrir Overdrive is easily my biggest disappointment. I at least managed to have fun with Blood of Espers when it was new and used it to get 40k Burst commands on the Ultima Nightmare boss and though I got Lion's Roar from the Keeper Selection 2 banner and it was well overshadowed by then, it at least hits elemental weaknesses. Fenrir Overdrive, meanwhile, has always felt like a letdown whenever I've used it, and I've had it for months.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

Spent another 50 on OK's banner, got dupe Heroic Shield and dupe Onion Sword.

When is the next re-appearance of Onion Gauntlets? Is it OSB-Fest? I'm having a hard time justifying chasing any more right now considering I have four weapons and a couple of shields for FF3.

They were specifically *not* on any OSBFest banner. I wouldn't expect us to see them there, either. First recurrence was on the Orthros Selection anniversary banner, which is quite a while to go. I would expect to see them show up somewhere during the Anniversary for sure.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

Darn. :(

Thanks for the info. I'll wait a little while and see.

:(:respek::(

I mean, Vessel of Fate is not something I needed. I have Shout and Sheepsong but dammit I want to shake up my A-Team abloobloo :qq:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Beasteh posted:

Like, the last thing I deliberately went for and actually got was Eiko's BSB but I remind myself constantly that I could very easily have not pulled it, nothing is more frustrating than saving for months and pulling blanks and this game panders to that rush of bitterness and desperation by always offering that next pull, why not buy some gems keep chasing that dragon!! It's unhealthy as gently caress and I really hate that part of FFRK

I definitely play this game in spite of the gacha and not because of it. I mean yeah, it's really exhilarating to pull something you wanted but that's exacerbated by all the disappointment on the way. As I've mentioned before, I haven't had that rush of satisfaction of getting an item I really, actually *wanted*, not just "can use", in quite a while. That's why I choose to let go of this banner after only 100 Mythril and two out of seven items pulled despite still having 240 Mythril banked, there is only one item on this I actually want. The banner itself isn't exactly gangbusters, it just has this one really, really good item and a bunch of serviceable items for a realm almost no one had synergy for so it was a good shot at killing two birds with one stone. As unsatisfying as two Lust Daggers and one Heroic Shield (and a previously pulled Desch's Sword but that thing does not count) is, it does kill the synergy bird. I just wish I'd gotten the other one, too. That's why I'm hopeful for the XIV banner, I actually want any of the three bursts so at least there'll be a better shot at scratching that itch.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Since I more or less whiffed on the FF3 banner - got dupe Heroic Shield and Danjuro- should I give it another pull?

If that's all you have from the banner I would try again. Hell, I'm debating going for a third and final pull but I think I would die of salt poisoning if all I got was a second Heroic Shield or third Lust Dagger, and quite frankly I don't think anything short of the Gauntlets would make it worthwhile. But the more I think about it the more I want 'em...

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I just started playing, my first two pulls got me a Barrett Unique SB and Auron BSB. I also just snagged a Hero Soul from the FFIV event dungeon.

I know nothing about team comp yet, so should I use the soul to grab one of those two, or should I save it for someone better?

Get Auron right away. The rule of thumb for beginners is to grab any character you have an SB for since right now you have no abilities and SBs will do most of the heavy lifting for you. Pulling Auron's BSB puts him leagues ahead of any competitor. Auron himself is pretty solid, too, he's a decent physical beatstick and he has access to what is called the "Tauntaliate" combo thanks to his Samurai 5/Knight 3 skillset, where the character uses the Draw Fire and Retaliate abilities to draw all single target Physical attacks to himself, force them to miss and counter with a normal attack. You can also trigger counterattacks by using your own characters to attack him and he will attack the enemy. Better yet, you only need the Draw Fire half of that combo since the BSB comes with Retaliate on an AoE attack command. Chances are you'll be using Auron for a few months and maybe even beyond that. Barret... well, again, rule of thumb dictates that whoever you have an SB for is best but he probably won't last you terribly long. Especially if the SB you have isn't Ungarmax, which is his only one I'd dub decent. Still, he's a character with an SB so he's the best for you right now, next to Auron.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

bilperkins2 posted:

I always just did Genji Glove and Offering for 8-hit Attacks. Is that not the way to break the game?

Not if you forget to cast Quick for 16-bhit action like some kind of scrub

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Servaetes posted:

So why exactly is Gilgamesh's OSB the worst? It seems like it has a good modifier to boost it.

It has the worst damage numbers save for Tyro's and Edgar's and literally nothing else going for it. 1320 modifier non-Elemental damage, that's it, that's all it'll ever do. Most other OSBs are 1200 potency and can both hit elemental weaknesses and get boosted by elemental gear/matching Enelement SBs, Edgar's has bad potency but it's AoE which is a unique characteristic for OSBs, Tyro's has a unique ATK/DEF/MAG/RES buff which I don't know if it's actually any good but at least it's something you can't get anywhere else and Vaan's, which I think is the runner-up for Worst OSB, has 1400 potency if all five stats are debuffed. It just plain has the worst numbers for a class of SB that is almost all strictly about big numbers.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Alright, I made it through the U+ CM with my current synergy, which is two Lust Daggers, a Heroic Shield, a Desch's Sword and those 4* III armors that teach Cores some SBs. I think I'm going to make it through this event without spending any more Mythril on it. I can resist the lure of the gauntlets. I have to.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

FeralWraith posted:

Ha, nice to know I'm not the only one tempted.

It's tough, isn't it!

I don't even really need to be frugal because I'll have over 300 Mythril by the time the Thanksgiving bonuses are all wrapped up but pulling on this banner for the Gauntlets is just so likely to burn me. For me it all comes back to one thing: loving SG. If I hadn't spent 500 Mythril and counting on trying and failing to get that stupid loving thing, not pulling on this banner anymore would be cake. I could just RM Vessel of Fate for a few months, no big. As it is, though, I'm still trying to ward off that little voice that's telling me it wouldn't be so bad to whiff on the Gauntlets, the Arc +Holy robe would be useful for Metamorphosis RW teams (or Meta meta) because it won't go down without a fight. All because I can't do VoF + SG.

djfooboo posted:

Do Onion gauntlets come back? I missed on my 2 pulls and don't feel a third is warranted because I'll get more dupe shields.

Of course they do, they're a massive draw. They're on the second banner of the next III event for sure, they're very likely going to be somewhere on a banner for the second anniversary celebration and it's not impossible they'll be slotted somewhere in the upcoming OSBFest, though my money is on them not showing up there, just a hunch I have.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Munoma posted:

Which of the six-tier abilities are better than the others? What is viable?

Generally, I've seen people agree on the following:

Meltdown is the best and only use for Black Crystals.
Snowspell Strike and Northern Cross compete for the same crystals but they're both better than average, Snowspell Strike due to its very high multiplier for a 2-hitter AoE attack and ability to hit two elemental weaknesses and Northern Cross because it has a lot of native users you don't need to mote up (which is relevant for CMs) and Stun is one of the only status effects that is allowed to work on bosses. Also, I did Dark Dragon U+ with someone who had it honed to R2 and it looks really cool.
Curada is a solid use for White Crystals, doubly so if you can rely on a Curaja strength Burst command for healing.
Mug Bloodlust is fine at R1 but it's one of the better 6* abilities and it's the only one I've been finding myself having any real use for so far.
Affliction Break is apparently really good in multiplayer and I can believe it, since status effects proccing is just really annoying in general and there's only so many Resist accessories. I don't have a single Petrify resist accessory, for instance.

Everything else not listed here I have not heard spoken of highly and so I would be careful about honing them. Personally, I want there to be a reality where Gaia's Cross/Demonsblood is viable, but I'm not sure if this one is it. One exception, or two, really: Neo Bahamut vs Valigarmanda is something which to my knowledge is moot right now because there just aren't enough Summon crystals to go around.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I went back and cleared out a big chunk of my Nightmare and Mote Dungeon CM backlog today, clearing out CM Ifrit with the self-imposed limit that I use nothing that was released past its initial release save for Fire resist accessories, CM Dahaka, Reraise, Neo Bahamut, mastery for Meltdown and Affliction Break. Of these six, Reraise can suck my rear end the most. I hate to say and generally don't believe that you need specific SBs for specific chunks of content but of all the fights, that one was by far the worst not to have Wall on and I pretty much had to cheese it with Seal of Heaven. A Swooping Scythe opener before Protectga goes up and unlucky Photon Spray bounces dropped Aerith before Phase 1 was even over. I'm just not entirely sure what they assumed the power baseline was when it was first released. What were you assumed to have? I'm a little light on good White Mage Medicas, I only have Dreamstage and Miracle Prayer but I can't imagine they expected people to have much past that when it first came out either.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Goodness gracious Cagnazzo kicked my rear end. I must've tried five different setups and restarted over ten times. Part of it is my stubborn refusal to hone anything that I already have so I'm disinclined to actually hone any of the Chain spells I've been piling up or craft any redundant copies of the basic elemental Spellblades. As such, I only had one set of -jas and -ra Spellblades to work with and that made finding a winning setup really tough. I tried all Physical, all Magical, hybrid of both with Carbuncle to reflect the Stops, Wall, Dusk's Decree, Maria's Song, you name it. At the end of the day, what pulled me through was a hybrid setup with Krile, Ramza, Agrias, Yuffie and Selphie with Wall RW. I knew I'd run afoul of Stops but fortunately for me both times Stop landed, it went for Yuffie, who was probably the one character I had that could afford to get hit. Things are really hard when you don't have a roster that can afford to bring Shellga, Full Break, Magic Breakdown, a Dispel, Curaja, three sources of Thunder and at least one source of Ice. In comparison, Caius went down on the first try though I lost two people to carelessness and Bahamut SIN I managed to beat and master without any Breaks since I forgot to reset Ramza after I put him in the back row with Banishing Strike and Phantasm for my brute force Curada clear. Glad that's over with!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

...gaaah! I could have just swapped out Banishing Strike on Ramza for Magic Breakdown and replaced Blizzara Strike on Agrias with it! poo poo! All along the solution was staring me right in the face but I was too tunnel visioned into having Agrias hit both weaknesses to see it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Attestant posted:

Yeah, I worded that a bit bad. I was just questioning the part about Wall being a requirement for Ultimates, which it really isn't.

But fair, it's a huge stepping stone when you're just getting in to harder content. My perspective is a bit warped by having an old, stacked account.

It's also easy to forget about synergy. It makes a huge difference. When I first started out and good synergy meant four items with a glowy border out of fifteen for me, I saw a handful of posts from people listing their boss-killing setup and saying oh my synergy for that realm isn't so great and it's like nine out of fifteen items had RS.

• Locked thread