Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

We'll see if I end up pulling on Keeper's Choice. On the one hand picking up Shout or SG would be awesome, but on the other my account doesn't really benefit much from Shared Soul Breaks or another Edincoat. Maybe I'll do it once and grab one of the EnElement ones but that also depends on how quick Eiko 1 rolls up as I'm still at just 12 Mithril after pulling on Cloud 1.

Also succumbed to the siren song of Fang's OSB and/or Lightning's BSB 2 last night and pulled again on Fang 1. Got my first JP 1/11 for another Knight of Etro armor. Oh well, I kind of knew it was a bad idea so whatever. I at least have the FFII banner between now and the VI banner I really want to pull on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Kylra posted:

Grrflrkle. Got it to just the two soldiers in wave 3 left with a tiny bit of hp.

I know your pain, I decided to try and do 140 Hojo JP side and got him down to maybe 10,000 Hp left on his second form before he started systematically nuking my party. :smith:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Apparently good fortune abounds as I managed to take down Hojo as well after a slight realignment. Did lost Fang at the end of the fight but managed to pull through with everyone else and win pretty soundly.

If there's one thing I've learned from my JP experience it is definitely this: get you that sweet Y'shtola BSB because it is amazing, just the initial burst heal combined with an HP barrier is good enough but throw on that instant cast several thousand HP heal too? So good.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Kylra posted:

It's this Wednesday.

Well shitcock. We'll see if I even manage to pull on Eiko 1 then. :v:

CaptainPsyko posted:

Honestly, there's enough other mitigation, now and coming, that, while Wall never stops being amazing (obviously), the tuning of fights is such that it's much less of a universal mandatory at this point, and there are often compelling reasons to, say, prioritize medicas and such over it. Even more so nice stuff like the Yshtola Burst shows up with damage shield effects or stuff like guts that make OHKO's avoidable without spamming SG all the time.

Yeah, I've actually hard fairly good results pairing it with a RW Guardian Grimoire (Tyro's USB) and alternating them. Only reason I don't do it more is because native Shout means I don't benefit much from the Hastega element.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

It really does bear to mention that the #1 Rule to Pulling is to pull for favorites. It's not too uncommon for someone to come into this thread having pulled an amazing relic for a character they don't like and being disappointed about it. That's normal! Right now, the best banner to pull on for you is Tyro's Selection 2. It has Shout and Sentinel's Grimoire, which will long-term be your best options, both because the effects themselves are genuinely game-changing and because the characters they're on perform vital functions in difficult content, Ramza in providing the Support 5 Full Break/____ Breakdown combo, Tyro in providing access to all equipment and abilities, no matter what they are, at the cost of lower stats. The other five relics were also curated to be decent options on very good characters (Squall, Gilgamesh, Terra, Bartz, Vanille); no actual bombs, but perfectly serviceable. The free starter pick will also give you another 5* piece of equipment to make you just that little bit stronger with some proofing for future content where your character selection is limited to realm-specific characters, though we're getting ahead of ourselves. That said, if you have a particular fondness for Cloud, Aerith, Cid or Red XIII, now is the time to pull. The Tyro's Selection 2 banner will be around for almost a whole year; the Cloud banner will be going away sometime Monday after next. Similarly, while the upcoming Eiko 1 banner that has a lot of people here talking has more of a veteran bent, it's not like pulling its top prizes wouldn't be great for you and if you have a soft spot for Eiko, Beatrix, Quina or even Freya or Garnet, all the better. Basically, pulling on TS2 is the smart choice but if you want a chance at Wind God Cloud or fancy the idea of Eiko being your healer for many months to come, the Cloud or Eiko banners could be the right choices.

Basically the way I would put it is this: if you came to the game because you were like, "oh poo poo, a final fantasy game where I can use a team of my favorite characters to beat the poo poo out of all the classic battles? Aweomse!" then you should pull on whatever banner appeals to you most first and worry about total viability later. If you're more interested in it purely as a game you want to excel at, then Tyro Selection 2 is probably the better bet.

Neither is a wrong answer and trust me when I say I understand the pain of getting decent to outright awesome relics for characters you hate, but having to then use them because those are the only relics you have. At most the latter is the more optimal way to look at it, but you'll always get more Mithril and have another chance to fix things later.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Heaven Spacey posted:

On the subject of smart pulls vs favoritism pulls, I just want to say that every single pull-because-I-love-this-guy has backfired (except for my swole Bartz), whereas I hate FF13 and lucky draws have made it far and away my most stacked realm. It's kinda funny, because it almost makes me have a better opinion of the game in hindsight when I roll over everything with my super-geared Hope (who I loving hated), and Lightning (who I was ambivalent towards). Like, aww yeah, it's time to bring out these annoying fuckos I despise and ruin everything with them :slick:

Similarly I hate FF6 but I like it a lot in retrospect after steamrolling everything with my super-powered Celes.

Yeah, I might have come around to that eventually but my main problem originally was that I was getting nothing and what little I did get was poo poo for characters I didn't like. Despite playing the game for something like a year, the sum total of actual Relics I'd managed to pull, not crappy shared like the Gladius or useful but still boring 5* with no Soul Breaks, was Kain's Blood Lance for Lancet, Squall's Revolver for Rough Divide, Irvine's Ulysses for Canister Shot and Locke's Rising Sun for Mirage Dive. It was loving abysmal.

But thanks to G5 my Global account is turning around and my JP continues to be so stacked that I don't even care when I get less than stellar pulls/dupes.

See, I'd join in on the condemnation but . . . eh. To each their own and all that.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 9, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Heaven Spacey posted:

I may have ventured slightly into hyperbole, it's true :shobon:

Except for Hope, gently caress Hope.

:hfive:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Aww, the half cost dungeons in JP ended. :sigh:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hell yeah, things got a little dicey at the end but I cleared the 160 Difficulty for the JP Fang and Vanille event. Mostly got bad because the final one in the rush slowed my whole party which allowed my last SG to run out before I could kill him.

Still finished with three alive, though, and getting the MC3 was the more important thing anyways.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zebia posted:

How should I go about beating the Dragon Zombie to get the MC3 lode?

This is an issue I'm working on right now. My biggest struggle is he hits hard enough that I have to have a Wall, but not having native Shout means that slows my damage way the gently caress down. I got to the final phase with a team of Lightbringer Beatrix, Yuffie, Lenna, Ramza and Zack, but some unlucky damage dropped Lenna on the last Pandora before she could Pride of Tycoon.

I'm going to bed now but in the morning I'm toying with the idea of doing a Mithril Revive run: blitz it and gain as much SB gauge as possible before dying then reset and hopefully blow it away outright.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

And that's Zombie Dragon U+ down too. :toot:

Did require the Concentration cheese to get enough medica SBs built up but amusingly enough the real lynchpin of my success ended up being Yuffie, who I was mostly bringing along because she was a VII character that I had a SB for. Being able to use Gauntlet (which is instant cast, for those not aware) to trigger of the death of each phase when I was both at full life and had another medica incoming immediately afterwards was perfection. Even managed to squeak by with the Mastery to boot.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

pichupal posted:

I mean, I decent amount of people are going to end up getting his BSB chasing Onion's BSB so that's not exactly true. Enwind + stun, with stun and self buff commands isn't amazing, but it's still pretty great - and more useful once the ATK soft cap increases.

That said, I'm still going for Luneth for my MC3 and I'll max him out once I get his RM3 to drop. I'll be taking it slow for everyone else barring any extremely lucky pulls like getting someone's OSB, or actually getting Onion's BSB, where he needs to get to at least level 92 to become better then a Core.

edit: Although you get Onion's MC3 in the event so that's sort of an exception.

Yeah, I went with Luneth immediately on my JP account because it's new and thus still has very few eggs, nor a lot of already leveled characters. I wasn't actually gonna do it on Global but I wasn't counting on how slim the pickings were for the initial MC3 batch. The only character in there that's at all good for me really is Ramza, but then his MC3 doesn't look all that good? So perhaps I'll just throw it on Luneth there too and count on clearing the next 160 as well for another one.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

pichupal posted:

You could look at the next wave and keep some in reserve. There are some popular characters and RMs on there; Celes for Spellblade +40% and Agrias for Knight +40% are probably the best two of the set. Since Celes's BSB commands are typed as Spellblade, it's a no brainer to pick her if you have the BSB. If you got Aerith's BSB, the extra 20 19 levels from her MC3 will make her less squishy.

Sadly I really wanted Celes' BSB but have only managed to grab Indomitable Blade in JP and nothing else. Basically the only character in Global I'd really want to give it to would be Beatrix because her RM isn't incredible but I have the Lightbringer IX so she does work.

JP side though I may have to drop one on Agrias, cause all I have for her there is Hallowed Bolt but that seems like a way better break than I ever gave it credit for. Consistently does huge damage when buffed by shout, it's group rather than single target like many of my other attacks on JP are, and that Paralysis and Silence chance actually helps a lot more than you'd think.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

pichupal posted:

There are only 9 items on the JP Holy Lucky Draw.

Like, I know they have to trim the list for some of these Lucky Draws but that's really surprising. I haven't payed too much attention to the other themed LDs in Japan, were they all this heavily trimmed?

Anyways, for you JP players:

Hope OSB, Hope BSB1, Curilla BSB, Edward BSB, Penelo SSB, General Leo SSB, Angeal SSB, Palom SSB2, Yuna's Enholy SB.

Mother fucker, half things I want for characters and half things I'd hate getting.

Oh well, if it's a lucky draw I'll roll the dice and see what it comes up. Crossing my fingers for that Ultimate Shield Bash for Curilla though.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

3/11 for a Lust Blade, Sirius Sidearms and another Iga Blade.

Certainly makes the idea of throwing my Global MC3 at Luneth a bit more appealing, if nothing else.

Edit: Oh hey, JP Lucky literally just dropped too, let's see what I get there . . .

Oh gently caress yeah, Shield Bashing everything into oblivion for me! :dance:

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 12, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

They still come back every month.

Also it seems like, based on the JP side of things, that once all of the abilities have dropped it'll just be available all the time.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hogama posted:

He's finally become a man.

The question is how sad and weak is it?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Grozz Nuy posted:

It's a shame, because the rest of that banner is really good (somewhat depending on what the burst commands are for the Emperor and Leila I guess) but a Ricard relic is a serious trap draw. Golden Armor wouldn't help me much either because I already have Apocalypse Shield. We'll see if II synergy is worth caring about in 6 months, I guess.

Yeah, I was pretty much planning on skipping it and saving up for the Celes & Locke banner to follow. I've got better Synergy for VI already but I also feel like I'm more likely to generally just use my VI characters, and also I wouldn't mind picked up another soul break of some kind for Terra to compliment the OSB I have for her.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

For those considering spending all your mythril on the Celes/Locke banners in next week's event in Japan, don't forget that we're getting a World of Final Fantasy cross-promotion event with new characters and new relics for those characters the following week. As a reminder, the last two times an event has introduced a pair of new characters for a brand new realm, we got the first FF14 banner and the first FFT banner. I expect them to push the envelope again for WoFF.

And if the WoFF banner turns out to be a bust after all, the Celes/Locke banners will still be active.

Ah, thanks for the heads up on that, I hadn't considered that aspect of it. Absolute worst case just means I do an extra two or three draws on the Celes/Locke banners later on and if there's good poo poo on them there's nothing wrong with that.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Legend of the Crystals

Please god no, if I drew the inevitable panty flash soul break I would have to straight up kill myself. :cry:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

A person on FFRK Discord just got the worst pull possible:

Anytime you feel down about your pull, consider that it could always be worse. At least Barbut person got synergy.

I can do you one better: I got that exact pull before G5. I really cannot stress enough how hellish the game originally was for me before I quit. :smithicide:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hmm, 2/11 for a Wizard Rod and an Off-Banner Crystal Mail. I'd be more mad but I have Garnet's BSB so more utility for her isn't bad at all and the Crystal Mail has a shared Draw Fire so I can now do Drawtilate on any Samurai that can wear heavy armor.

They're not Hamlin or the Golden Hairpin, but I think that's acceptable.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm definitely not obsessively running my planned pulls through the gacha simulator over and over seeing how often I get results that would be satisfactory, that's something a crazy person would do

See, I'm not a superstitious man but I can't being myself to do that if only because I'll see that perfect, once in a lifetime pull out of it and realize I'll never see it again/for real.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hey, does anyone know if the buff from Curilla's BSB doesn't stack with Shout? I see it's both an attack and defense buff so in theory it should but my numbers don't seem to be matching up right for that.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Most likely the issue is that you're hitting the ATK soft cap of 590. Beyond that, more ATK still gets you results but at a significantly smaller growth rate (ATK^.5 rather than ATK^1.8).

Also I'm guessing "Curilla" is a romanized version of a name in the Japanese version?

Nope, it's been the official translation for many years now:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Curilla_V_Mecru

Edit: And yeah, looking you're probably right. I didn't realize how small the base damage on those 4x BSB Attack commands tended to be.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 16, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

There are also orbfests and event XP dungeons to consider, so it's actually much shorter than that.

Oh hey, I've been meaning to ask: is it you that does the Boss Guides for the JP events on Reddit, or just a coincidentally similar username? If it is you I just wanted to say thanks for them, even just having the basic information out so quickly is really useful.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

The fact that I can't complete this Ultimate+ because I have three IX characters with BSBs just shy of baffles me. Ugh, have to figure out what to do with it in the morning.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Kraken right? I actually had to have Garnet Defend for the second half of the battle as otherwise she would have killed off the Right Tentacle. Should have just had her on healing duty instead.

I'm surprise they didn't make Kraken weak to Lightning like he was in the original game, but that might have made it too easy or something, I dunno.

Yeah, I've got her, Zidane and Beatrix all with BSBs and they can poo poo damage all over him despite me needing to RW in a Wall to not die. Unfortunately they can't do it without requiring me to re-up at least two of their BSBs, and doing that inevitably kills the other tentacle. So I'mma have to gently caress around with dropping someone for another Healer or bring in somebody with an exclusively single-target SB.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Mmm, you know what, that does actually sound like the dumbest idea I've ever had but I think I'm going to sub out Yuffie from the team for another Healer who is going to spend a not insignificant amount of her time healing the Right Tentacle. There's still a good chance it doesn't work, as healing is scaled to the hero HP scale and thus there's no way she'll be able to out-heal the damage my party can do. But I don't need to keep it full, just need to let me use enough BSBs to damage Kraken and then have the Burst commands to finish him off.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Welp, that was dumb as hell but gently caress me if it didn't ultimately work. Even still managed to barely squeak by with a Mastery, so woot for intentionally healing my enemies.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Attestant posted:

I dunno, I don't feel like it's that dire, just because this is also a Square-Enix game. Even if western DeNA is folding, SE might have interests in keeping the game alive and well in the west too.

I'm very "wait and see" on the matter.

Yup, I think it's worth remembering that Mobius Final Fantasy is actually developed and managed in house by SE, so it's not like they couldn't shift it over to them and/or increase the size of the department to take it on. The big point is that the game, unlike most of DeNA's other stuff is making money, just not so absurdly much that it could keep them afloat on its own.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Grozz Nuy posted:

'Waiting to see' for like, a week until we get more definitive news on what will happen going forward is not going to completely ruin the game financially

Not to mention any halfway competent company will realize that an announcement of, "hey, the company managing this game is going away," is going to make people hesitant to spend money on it until there's a definitive statement that the game is sticking around.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Heads up to other JP players: they just put up a Lucky Draw over there too, and this one is a one-time only 25 Mythril one.

Appears to be mostly Thief stuff, at a glance? Not really sure, all I know is I pulled Locke's BSB and Yuffie's BSB out of it.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Don't always pull on the full price ones! "Always pull on lucky draws" refers to 25 myth pulls

Yup, at full price you evaluate it just like you would any other banner: do I need/want anything on this?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

victrix posted:

These Nightmare dungeons are great for orbs and MC2 lodes :neckbeard:

I made it to Demon Wall who kicked my butt, so I need to read up on his gimmicks. I'm about to unlock whoever the Quadruple Foul boss is as well. Still picking away at various others.

I'm also having some trouble with Kraken in the U+ fight, I keep running out of steam when he's down to around 1/3 health, but I think I can get it before the event expires. I accidentally killed his second arm with aoe bursts on my last attempt, that ended that run fast :eng99:

I've been using Full Break/Saint Cross/Snowspell Strike all at R1, they're all really drat strong, but man the orb requirements to hone R5s are brutal. Orbfest please :v:

Out of curiosity, are those 5 dooms bosses ever coming back? Snowspell/whatever the Samurai one is are the only two I unlocked.

Depending on how many BSBs you have, what ended up working for me was bringing a second Healer and having them primarily dump Curaja on the last tentacle to keep it healthy enough that I could keep activating my Bursts. It was kind of a dumb solution but it worked and still got me Mastery to boot.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

victrix posted:

This is hilarious and I'll totally try it. iirc I had excess Curaja charges by the end, but I couldn't use my bsbs/ssbs without breaking the last tentacle.

I only have Squall/Tifa/Pecil BSBs, and didn't have Tifa along for that fight, using Faris for her atk/mag ssb and breakdowns.

Should probably work for you then, only real difference between us is I had Beatrix who gets realm Synergy so it might take you a little longer to burn him.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Welp, likes like I got my first Global Boostga out of the Dollar Pull, so how's Gordon as a character otherwise?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Huh, now that I'm actually see them I might not pull on either of the JP VI banners, regardless of if the World of Final Fantasy banners are good. I mean, I'd love to get Celes' OSB or BSB but pretty much everything else on her banner is crazy meh, and pulling her Runic sword would be a straight up insult. Oh well, I'm all for making my decisions easier.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Koobes posted:

PSA for anyone playing on JP: You can just press the retweet button in ffrk to get free stamina without actually tweeting anything as part of the Halloween campaign.

To add to this, it looks like you can do it more than once per day as well. Just got a second opportunity a few hours after the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

despite the garbage in the debuff banner, its still a guaranteed unique 5* for half price

Yeah, it's definitely still a good banner for newer people/people who've had really specific pull results that have denied them debuff soul breaks. Personally I think I'm exactly solid enough now that I'm gonna pass and focus on building up more Mythril for future god banners.

• Locked thread