Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Crossposting from the other thread because oops.

Ultimate, Ultimate+, and Ultimate++ all mastered, and CM cleared.

Ultimate and Ultimate+ were torn apart by the A-team without significant effort; Draco Zombie actually was a bit threatening and almost took Celes down at one point but there was just too much ridiculous stuff for it to actually be a serious problem.

Ultimate++ CM team:

Yuffie (LV70) | Hardened Assassin | 4-point Shuriken (5* RS)/Edincoat (5* RS)/Flame Cloak | Fire Veil R5/Phantasm R3 (SB: Landscaper)
Vincent (LV67) | Devotion | Striking Staff (5* RS)/Edincoat (5* RS)/Flame Cloak | Thundaja R4/Alexander R3 (SB: none)
Red XIII (LV80) | Blood of Espers | Magic Comb+ (5*+ RS)/Gold Armlet (5* RS)/Cerberus Relief (5* RS) | Firaja R4/Waterja R4 (SSB: Stardust Ray)
Cait Sith (LV65) | Knight's Charge | Fairy Flute+/Precious Watch+ (5*+ RS)/Blaze Armlet | Heathen Frolic Sarabande R2/Multi Break R2 (SB: Shared SB AOE Heal from Precious Watch+)
Aerith (LV72) | Battleforged | Candle Rod (5* RS)/Wizard Bracelet (5* RS)/Tetra Elemental (5* RS) | Curaja R4/Protectga R1 (SB: Healing Wind)

RW: Sheep Song

That was...way too easy. No one died (although a crit stomp almost did get Cait Sith), his damage output was easily managable, and his large suite of elemental weaknesses meant I was able ot just tear him apart in spite of his massive defenses. Afer

I had more trouble with the Draco Zombie using my A-team than I did Diamond Weapon with the CM team, so yeah.

Oh, and word of advice: The Draco Zombie uses Pandora's Box every single time that it dies, not JUST the last time. Which is ironic considering how Draco Zombies could only ever use Pandora's Box once per SAVE FILE in FF7 proper.

Now to figure out who should get the first MC3. Do I give it to PCecil and eliminate any worries about not hitting the ATK softcap with Shout up while using the FF4 Excalibur? Do I give it to Ramza and just solidify his position as main support even further? Do I throw it to Tyro to help compensate for his poor stats (and to maybe justify putting him on the A-team, although whether I'd keep Y'sholta on the team and have Tyro supply Keeper's Tome or drop Y'sholta for Rosa and have Tyro supply Sentinel's Grimoire is something I haven't figured out yet)? Or do I just give it to Luneth, egg him to 99 for the RM4, and then go use that 40% chance for double EXP materia to grind other characters up faster?

widespread posted:

FFFFFFFucking Partisan on my dollar.

I kinda wanted Seph's BSB, but eh. Still a 5*. Also a banner I might drop dosh on again.

As someone who got Sephiroth's BSB from a dollar pull when it debuted, it's always been disappointing whenever I used it. To be fair, it has gotten better over time rather than worse (because the increasing DEF of enemies over time makes the DEF-ignoring first burst command significantly nicer to have access too), but the other issue is that Sephiroth doesn't have much of a skill-set to work with anyways if the fight isn't AOE-based...and neither of his burst commands are AOE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

SageAcrin posted:

I think Diamond is less harder and more utterly and totally different to the point of requiring basically a different team if you didn't just powder Dragon Zombie.

Now, I heard Meltigemini in the event upcoming is supposed to be meaner, and looked up a few videos.

So how do you guys feel about going through two 100k no-weakness lifebars of MT magic spamming Ultimate+ defenses jerks just to reach the ignore defenses spamming U++ Diamond Weapon-like at the end(who still has 180k life, but at least has two good weaknesses)? Who also has a defense hitting spell that hits like a truck, and counters everything randomly with ignore defenses physicals?

I really cannot imagine me beating that at my hones level. Clowns are scary. :smith:

Yeah, I'm actually at a legit loss for how to handle that under CM conditions.

I might actually just throw the towel in on this one and use the A-team instead of trying for CM completion; literally everything about it seems like a horrible nightmare and the only relevant SBs I have in FF9 are Beatrix's +Party DEF SB and Eiko's Reraise SSB (for the AOE heal portion, although at this point the reraise portion will probably also be a godsend).

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ok, this is my planned CM team, because I may as well at least TRY before giving up and throwing the A-team at the problem.

Kuja (LV75) | Devotion | Oak Staff (5* RS)/Magician Robe+++ (3*+++ RS)/Silver Pinion (5* RS) | Chain Firaga R3*/Meltdown R1 (SB: none)
Garnet (LV80) | Blood of the Summoner | Storm Staff (5* RS)/White Robe (5* RS)/Cat's Bell | Valefor R4/Alexander R4 (SB: Shared Raise SB from White Robe...?)
Beatrix (LV76) | Dragoon's Determination | Defender (5* RS)/Thunder Gloves (5* RS)/Squall's Necklace | Banishing Strike R3/Saint Cross R3 (SB: Rose of May)
Quina (LV75) | Ace Striker | Candle Rod/Healer's Robe/Gauntlets | Magic Breakdown R4/Full Break R2 (SB: Shared AOE heal SB from Candle Rod)
Eiko (LV77) | Battleforged | Fairy Flute+ (5*+ RS)/Adamant Vest (5* RS)/Poison Ring | Curaja R4/Shellga R1 (SSB: Flames of Rebirth)

*planned level of honing once I get it

RW: Sheepsong

Anything I should change?

EDIT: Switched Eiko and Garnet's roles.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 13, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ok big warning.

The enemies on the elite difficulty for the FF9 event use Roulette (aka instant death that randomly chooses a target but is guaranteed to hit).

gently caress this event.

EDIT: Wait no it's on both normal and elite.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 14, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

superloosegoose posted:

I'm never going to use ramza, even if I had shout. It's hard to replace a support (faris) that has some of the best debuffs (bsb and that aoe atk/mag down). I wish I had a use for him, I just got tailwind.

I run both Ramza and Faris on the A-team; Ramza supplies Power Breakdown and Full Break with access to Shout (if I'm not using it as a RW) and Tailwind (if I am), while Faris has Magic Breakdown and Thief's Revenge alongside her -ATK/-MAG SB.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Just noticed I actually have enough orbs sitting around to hone Saint Cross from R3 to R4.

I won't do it since I want to save the orbs for future use (i.e. getting Gaia Cross to R2 when it comes out), but it's kind of notable that I actually have the option of doing so.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

100 gem was nothing. Did 3-pull afterwards and got Vivi's BSB.

Be right back, time to powerlevel a wizard until he can turn Meltigemini into a faint mist.

I'm pretty certain EnFire (and +20% damage from the staff) Chain Firagas and Meltdown should do enough damage.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ultimate, Ultimate+, and Ultimate++ cleared with CM completed.

Ultimate was testing Vivi out on the A-team and watching Meltdown do 9999x3.
Ultimate+ was the usual A-team shenanigans due to no exploitable elemental weaknesses (i.e. spamming EnHoly Saint Cross, Thief's Revenge, and Dark Zone until everything fell over).

Ultimate++ CM Team

Vivi (LV77) | Mako Might | Flame Staff (5* RS)/Magician Robe+++ (3*+++ RS)/Silver Pinion (5* RS) | Chain Firaga R3/Meltdown R1 (BSB: Proof of Existence)
Garnet (LV80) | Devotion | Storm Staff (5* RS)/White Robe (5* RS)/Cerberus Relief | Valefor R4/Alexander R4 (SB: Ramuh)
Beatrix (LV76) | Dragoon's Determination | Defender (5* RS)/Thunder Gloves (5* RS)/Squall's Necklace | Magic Lure R3/Saint Cross R3 (SB: Rose of May)
Quina (LV75) | Ace Striker | Candle Rod/Brigandine+++ (3*+++ RS)/Gauntlets | Magic Breakdown R4/Full Break R2 (SB: Shared AOE Heal SB from Candle Rod)
Eiko (LV77) | Battleforged | Fairy Flute+ (5*+ RS)/Adamant Vest (5* RS)/Poison Ring | Curaja R4/Shellga R1 (SSB: Flames of Rebirth)

RW: Sheepsong

0 S/L. No one died. Characters kept surviving with infintesimal amounts of health left and getting healed up before poison/sap got to them. Only 1 Bio hit the party. EnFire meant 9999x2 from Chain Firaga and 9999x3 from Meltdown. At one point Vivi MIGHT have died from poison, but the poison got overwritten by sap from Viral Smoke and gave him another couple of seconds to live, during which Eiko Curaja'd him back to full health.

Yeah, pulling Vivi's BSB made this way too easy. At least that clusterfuck is behind me now.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ultimate, Ultimate+ with CM, and Ultimate++ mastered.

Ultimate was "spam Saint Cross with PCecil, use Paladin Force, spam it some more, win". No challenge.

Ultimate+ CM Team:

Firion (LV73) | Ace Striker | Giant's Gloves+ (5*+ RS)/Red Armlet/Fabled Coin | Lifesiphon R4/Full Charge R3 (SB: Vow of the Wild Rose)
Leon (LV79) | Mako Might | Excalibur (FF4)/Golden Armor (5* RS)/Thief's Stole | Draw Fire R4/Saint Cross R3 (SB: Hand of the Emperor)
Leila (LV65) | Al Bhed Ingenuity | Cat Claws+++ (4*+++ RS)/Thunder Gloves | Squall's Necklace | Dismissal R4/Thief's Revenge R3 (SB: none)
Gordon (LV65) | Dr. Mog's Teachings | Wing Sword+++ (4*+++ RS)/Flame Shield (5* RS)/Hero's Belt | Power Breakdown R4/Full Break R2 (SB: Goddess's Bell)
Minwu (LV65) | Battleforged | Judgment Staff++/Mystery Veil/Gauntlets | Curaja R4/Protectga R1 (SB: Shared AOE Heal SB from Mystery Veil)

RW: Shout

Also no challenge, just unbelievably annoying because of the very high evasion. Most of the damage came from Firion's Lifesiphon and SB because they couldn't miss, but the boss didn't do enough to otherwise scare me.

Ultimate++ was "use Paladin Force with PCecil, Lifesiphon spam on the last Death Knight until I can use it again, use it to murder the next wave, more Lifesiphon spam, use it twice". Not even worth the team write-up, just know Tyro spammed dances, Sephiroth spammed Samurai skills and then used his BSB entering phase 3 for maximum hurt, Ramza spammed Lifesiphon to charge up Tailwind and use it if needed (it was not needed), and Y'sholta set up SSII and Protectga and then spammed Curaja. Not a very difficult U++ for me, but I can see how it would be painful if you didn't have a Holy BSB or SSII/SG.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

2/11; Yoshimitsu and Yellow Megaphone. Yoshimitsu seems like about as bad of a pull as I could have gotten while still being a 5* (very rarely used RS, dagger so lower stats than other 5*s, only a -DEF SB on a character who is really poor in comparison to the rest of his realm) but I am not complaining about making FF7 CMs even more of a joke than they already were.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Mote dungeon mastered, NO CM CLEAR.

Celes (LV80) | Dr. Mog's Teachings | Wing Sword+++ (4*+++ RS)/Flame Shield (5* RS)/Necrophobe Ward | Snowspell Strike R1/Drain Strike R5 (SB: Runic Blade)*
Faris (LV80) | Battleforged | Excalibur (FF4)/Regal Gown/Godo's Mask | Magic Breakdown R4/Full Break R2 (SB: Sea Lord's Barrage)
Sephiroth (LV80) | Adventurer's Dagger | Cat Claws+++ (4*+++ RS)/Golden Armor (5* RS)/Carnelian Signet | Flashing Blade R2/Lifesiphon R4 (BSB: Reunion)
Rosa (LV65) | Ace Striker | Artemis Bow/Healer's Robe/Gigas Armlet (5* RS) | Curaga R5/Wrath R4 (SSB: Divine Heal)
Y'sholta (LV74) | Mako Might | Judgment Staff++/Defense Veil/Gigas Armlet (5* RS) | Curaja R4/Shellga R1 (SBs: Stoneskin II, Medica II)

*I really need to have Celes learn her SSB.

~10k per use of Snowspell Strike from a 400ATK Celes onto the Red Soul after Shout and with FB applied. Assuming both hits managed to connect, which was not remotely guaranteed thanks to the Evasion boosts being tossed around. Even with Runic Blade making Snowspell Strike's R1 status irrelevant, it was still unfathomably drawn out to end.

Eventually Celes and Faris got blinded towards the end of the fight and both RW Shouts were run out as well as Y'sholta's entire ability stockpile. I had to grind the last ogre mage down with Sephiroth's BSB, which finally proved it's worth with the DEF ignoring command ignoring EVA and hitting for about 7k a use without Shout up. I was still in zero danger of dying because of how ridiculously good Rosa's SSB is, but holy poo poo the battle took forever to close out.

If I get a mage RS weapon for FF2 I'll come back for the CM, but holy poo poo this fight is horrible if you don't have a mage team (aka me).

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ultimate and Ultimate+ beaten, the latter under CM conditions.

Ultimate I actually forwent Shellga for Dispel and relied on Exdeath's Grand Cross + SSII to soak up all the magic attacks so he could just keep dumping Chain Thundagas onto the boss, while Lightning spammed Powerchain + Full Charge and eventually got to use Crushing Blow to devastating effect.

Ultimate+ CM I used Vaan with PB and Thief's Revenge, Gabranth with Banishing Strike and Protectga, Basch with Saint Cross and Magic Lure, Penelo with the MB Dance and Multi Break, and Larsa with Curaja and Shellga. Took several tries and team reconfigurations before I got one that didn't basically just die immediately to Maser Beam, but once I finally had Intercession go off post-Maser Beam I was able to close out the fight.

Time for the U++.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ultimate++ downed.

PCecil (LV84) | Battleforged | Excalibur (FF4)/Armguard (5* RS)/Fateful Coin | Banishing Strike R4/Saint Cross R3 (BSB: Paladin Force)
Faris (LV80) | Viera Virtuoso | Yoichi Bow (5* RS)/Heavy Coat+++ (3*+++ RS)/Vossler's Gauntlet (5* RS) | Magic Breakdown R4/Thief's Revenge R3 (SB: Sea Lord's Barrage)
Exdeath (LV80) | Devotion | Holy Rod (5* RS)/Exdeath's Cuirass/Silver Pinion | Memento Mori R3/Curaga R5 (SBs: Grand Cross, Neo Almagest)
Ramza (LV85) | Dr. Mog's Teachings | Hammerhead+++ (4*+++ RS)/Chanter's Djellaba (5* RS)/Aries | Power Breakdown R4/Full Break R2 (SBs: Shout, Tailwind)
Y'sholta (LV74) | Mako Might | Judicer's Staff (5* RS)/Chanter's Djellaba (5* RS)/Cat's Bell | Curaja R4/Protectga R1 (SB: Stoneskin II, Medica II)

RW: Divine Judgment (Hope BSB)

Yeah this fight is brutal as hell, but my successful run had Y'sholta get stopped and I didn't even notice. Each burst command from Exdeath was doing about 30k a shot (the Holy Rod having +Holy Damage was a nice bonus), which was particularly amazing considering by the end even PCecil wasn't hitting for 9999x2 with EnHoly Saint Cross.

It did get close to a wipe once SSII inevitably wore off (Ramza and Y'sholta had dropped and one more big AOE would have killed off everyone else), but an EnHoly Paladin Force finished the last 40k HP off by itself and got me the win. Just ignoring his gimmicks and crushing him beneath as much raw damage output as I could muster to avoid him overwhelming me with stopped party members or the like.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Zurai posted:

Yeah, multi-boss Ultimates are almost always the hardest. Just wait until 4 months from now when we get the Vayne event when we have to fight U+ Mandragoras. That fight is utterly loathesome for anyone. Even long-term JP players had trouble with it.

Yeah, I can imagine. The regular version of the Mandragoras is unfathomably painful already in every concievable way, and the U+ has them all start hasted.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

FF12 in FFRK is an abject study of "just because this fight was designed like loving poo poo in the original game doesn't mean you have to be faithful and make the fight terrible in your mobile game".

I mean, they won't give us FF5's bosses being cripplingly weak to instant death poo poo to justify making those kinds of skills, so why do they feel like they need to be so goddamn accurate to literally the worst parts of FF12 (examples: mandragoras, elder dragon, god help us if we ever get an actual Ultima fight, it's like Yunalesca but worse)

This. Holy poo poo FF12's boss design just seems to be such a huge issue, especially since so many bosses resist every element or all but 1 element. It's legit ridiculous.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Let temptation take me and did an 11-pull on Ashe 1.

I now have an Orichalium Dirk+, Alberdann, and a decent heavy armor with minor dark resistance. No Ashe BSB, but I think I came out well enough.

EDIT: Also Magus Sisters died horribly to a 565 ATK Celes before any other modifiers.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Quick update:

U and U+ CMs were non-issues. U++ wasn't that bad even with the holy resist, and now I've really warmed up to Sephiroth's BSB

Colosseum so far still a joke, although I'm expecting Omega to tear me apart with a general lack of strong lightning attacks on my end.

Lucky pull got me an irrelevant SB for Cid and Gilgamesh BSB (aka sweet as hell utility BSB, puts PCecil's team slot in something resembling competition again).

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Omega down with mastery.

Team:

Sephiroth (LV80) | Adventurer's Dagger | Orichalcum Dirk+/Thunder Gloves/Cloud's Goggles | Dark Bargain R4/Lifesiphon R4 (BSB: Reunion)
Tyro (LV94) | Hardened Assassin | Sentinel's Grimoire+++/Witch's Hat+++/Final Aeon Pendant | Swift Bolt R5/Halting Rumba R3 (SBs: Sentinel's Grimoire, Keeper's Tome)
Vaan (LV83) | Dr. Mog's Teachings | Icebrand+++ (FFV)/Crystal Helm+++/Cloud's Goggles | Power Breakdown R4/Thief's Revenge R3 (BSB: Ark Blast)
Rosa (LV65) | Ace Striker | Artemis Bow/Healer's Robe/Gigas Armlet | Curaga R5/Wrath R4 (SSB: Divine Heal)
Y'sholta (LV75) | Mako Might | Judgment Staff++/Defense Veil/Friendship Ribbon | Curaja R4/Shellga R1 (SBs: Stoneskin II, Medica II)

Literally the only vaguely dangerous things were Counter Rocket Punch and Wave Cannon, and he didn't even use the latter somehow.

:rip: Omega.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ultimate, Ultimate+ (with CM), and Ultimate++ all mastered.

Ultimate was rendered a joke thanks to Celes, who runic'd the single target attack magic away and then used it to fuel Snowspell Strike spam.

Ultimate+ was just dropping all the damage I could muster; it says a lot when the character spamming Saint Cross is only your third highest damage dealer.

Ultimate++ Team:

Gilgamesh (LV80) | Dr. Mog's Teachings | Masamune (FFV)/Gold Bangle (5* RS)/Noel's Pendant (5* RS) | Lifesiphon R4/Saint Cross R3 (BSB: Gilgamesh Morphing Time)
Vaan (LV85) | Ace Striker | Glaive (5* RS)/Silver Bangle+++ (4*+++ RS)/Fateful Coin | Lifesiphon R4/Thief's Revenge R3 (BSB: Ark Blast)
Tyro (LV95) | Devotion | Raines's Gloves+ (5*+ RS)/Witch's Hat+++ (5*+++ RS)/Terra's Pendant | Chain Blizzaga R2/Blizzaja R4 (SBs: Sentinel's Grimoire, Keeper's Tome)
Ramza (LV87) | Battleforged | Flamberge (5* RS)/Gold Bangle (5* RS)/Aries | Power Breakdown R4/Full Break R2 (SBs: Shout, Tailwind)
Y'shola (LV75) | Mako Might | Healer's Staff++ (4*++ RS)/Flame Shield/Cat's Bell | Curaja R4/Slowga R1 (SBs: Stoneskin II, Medica II)

Pulling Gilgamesh's BSB meant he got the nod over PCecil for this fight to get that old Taunt + Retaliate combo in; any lost damage from not spamming EnHoly Saint Cross was made up for by all the retaliate counter attacks, and I didn't really have to worry about physical attacks at all as a result. Even with Tyro's anemic base magic, he was still doing close to 9999 with Blizzaja after FB thanks to how much MAG the hat and gloves gave. From there, it was just grinding him into the dust slowly and recasting Slowga whenever he removed it/it ran out.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Nightmare Necrophobe down and mastered

Team:
PCecil (LV90) | Pride of the Red Wings | Excalibur (FF4)/Thunder Gloves/Thief's Stole | Lifesiphon R4/Saint Cross R3 (BSB: Paladin Force)
Tyro (LV95) | Dr. Mog's Teachings | Sentinel's Grimoire+++/Crystal Helm+++/Squall's Necklace | Lifesiphon R4/Carbuncle R3 (SBs: Sentinel's Grimoire, Keeper's Tome)
Faris (LV80) | Secrets of the Qu | Soul Sabre++/Armguard/Victory Pendant | Mental Breakdown R3/Armor Breakdown R3 (SB: Sea Lord's Barrage)
Ramza (LV87) | Mako Might | Icebrand+++ (FF5)/Edincoat/Aries | Power Breakdown R4/Magic Breakdown R4 (SBs: Shout, Tailwind)
Rosa (LV75) | Battleforged | Artemis Bow/Healer's Robe/Gigas Armlet | Shellga R1/Wrath R4 (SSB: Divine Heal)

This one took lots of retries and team reconfigurations to get right, and even then on the successful run I was basically bonedry on ability uses by the end and Tyro died at the very end when Necrophobe made it to the last phase of the fight and blew him up with Nightmare Flare before his last HP went away.

Thank GOD I had both Tailwind and Divine Heal for that fight, all those AOE heals were a blessing to have.

And yeah all 4 guardians kind of sucked for different reasons: Leviathan because of the fact he's in FF3 and my FF3 RS may as well not exist, Rubicante...in theory would have been thanks to the cloak but he never used it once, Jenova DEATH due to how hard and fast it hit right off the bat, and the FF12 one just due to the sheer amount of AOE spam towards the end of the fight.

Now to keep stockpiling mythril for the FF3 event.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ultimate, Ultimate+ (with CM), and Ultimate++ all mastered.

Ultimate wasn't that bad even with the high DEF since it was weak to both Holy and Fire; in between Chain Firagas from Vivi and Paladin Force + EnHoly Saint Cross from PCecil, it did not live very long.

Ultimate+ could have easily been horrible except for the fact that I ripped apart the Flan Master before it used Ultimate Thundaga even ONCE and I had both Porom and Rosa's SSBs for AOE healing.

Ultimate++ team:

PCecil (LV90) | Lionheart | Excalibur (FF4) (5* RS)/Thunder Gloves/Thief's Stole | Draw Fire R4/Saint Cross R3 (BSB: Paladin Force)
Faris (LV80) | Knight's Charge | Blood Lance (5* RS)/Ebon Armor (5* RS)/Victory Pendant | Exhausting Polka R3/Heathen Frolic Sarabande R2 (SB: Sea Lord's Barrage)
Celes (LV81) | Dr. Mog's Teachings | Lustrous Sword (5* RS)/Dragon Gloves (5* RS)/Vossler's Gauntlet | Tornado Strike R1/Snowspell Strike R1 (SSB: Indomitable Blade)
Vivi (LV78) | Devotion | Seraphim's Mace (5* RS)/Gold Hairpin (5* RS)/Black Mage Twin Stars (5* RS) | Chain Firaga R3/Meteor R3 (BSB: Proof of Existence)
Y'sholta (LV75) | Mako Might | Sage's Staff++ (4*++ RS)/Genji Shield++ (5*++ RS)/Cat's Bell | Curaja R4/Shellga R1 (SBs: Stoneskin II, Medica II)

It says a lot that even on his hometurf and without Vaan or Ramza on the team to steal the spotlight that PCecil still wasn't the MVP; Celes was due to her SSB letting her negate a huge chunk of enemy damage output and fuel a continuous stream of Tornado Strikes. Still, between PCecil's BSB AOE command, Celes' Tornado Strikes, and Vivi's Meteors, the boss fight went down before merging or before I even got to fire off Vivi's BSB or a second shot of PCecil's BSB.

Well, next event is FF3, time to get my rear end handed to me due to a dire lack of RS and/or pull horribly. Maybe look into the Multiplayer stuff?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

OK was a complete bust; two 11-pulls, 2 of the OK SSB sword and 2 of Ingus's SB (which I already had a copy of to begin with, making it even worse).

So literally only a -DEF/-RES SSB, and I had one of those in Wakka's Official Ball already (ignoring the -DEF/-RES of Tyro's BSB, even!)

gently caress FF3.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Update: did two 3 pulls in rage. First one got me Arc SSB1 (Shellga + High Regen + MBlink) and a FOURTH Ingus Shield, making the decision to 5*+++ that thing after this event much easier at least.

Second one got me Arc SSB2 (the CT0 Curaga + Blink).

Ok, done with the banner, at this point all that would be left that would be worth it would be the BSBs and I'm not shooting for a 2% chance total.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Dumped literally the last of my mythril stockpiles on the Lucky Draw.

1st Fusion Sword (Cloud, outdated but still good 7 synergy and nice for CMs), Flame Staff (Vivi, dupe, fused it with the original), Rikku's Dagger (Rikku, overshadowed by Vaan BSB), The Ogre (Zidane, overshadowed by Vaan BSB), and the Zeus Mace (Penelo, somehow my first faithga and first WM BSB)

Not complaining at all. Not one bit. :stare:

Now, should I keep using Y'sholta as my WM for Wall, or replace someone else on my team with Tyro and replace Y'sholta with Rosa (Wrath spammed Curaga strength AOE heal + MBlink), Arc (instant cast Curaga strength AOE heal + Blink), or Penelo (Cura strength AOE heal + 15% MAG/MND buff to the party + Burst Mode commands)?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

FF3 U/U+/U++ were jokes.

Rematches were mostly jokes; Caius would have actually still been a legit fight but even he couldn't outpace repeated heals from Penelo BSB.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

FF8 event done.

U+ was cheesed via Quistis BSB RW, although it wouldn't have been done without native Mighty Guard access so that one relic has again made a CM for FF8 tolerable (done in one try even!)

U++ was once again Celes sucking up all the magic with Indomitable Blade and spamming Tornado Strike + Snowspell Strike.

1. I am direly tempted to Record Sphere Celes.
2. Oh god the next event is FF6 help

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

FF7 event finished. Ultimate wasn't a problem even with the AOE 100% accuracy stop because my team was just that ridiculous, the Ultimate+ actually took a few tries because the boss's weak phase really dumps out tons of damage (on the successful run only Sephiroth in BSB mode and Yuffie were left standing), and the Ultimate++ went down even with me somehow messing up and removing Penelo's BSB from her SB selection instead of her shared SB.

Jumped on the Lucky draw and my pull was two copies of Edward's BSB (combined together immediately) and a copy of Selphie's BSB, which is incredibly lucky given this isn't guaranteed BSBs. I'm actually tempted to start using Edward over Ramza now, and there might just barely be enough stuff to get a mage team going now with Selphie BSB's 30% MAG/MND boost.

Also I now have a harp with 142 ATK before the augment rank of 2, which ties it with my augmented FF4 Excalibur for highest ATK ignoring RS. It's a Harp.

:what:

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Well, Apocalypse Gilgamesh was the wake-up call. Still was able to clear and master it solo, but it took an extremely long time and quite a few SLs thanks to Berserk RNG.

Probably going to dump an 11-pull on Banner 1 of OSBfest and hope for Kain BSB/Refia BSB/Terra OSB, and then slam the rest of my savings on FF14 banner 1.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

4 11-pulls because Christmas presents and boredom combined result in suboptimal behavior.

Final tally:
3x Tiara (combined and reforged into a superhat; 43 MAG before RS sounds like the best idea ever, right?)
1x Platinum Sword (combined with my original Platinum Sword)
2x Thyrus (combined with my original Thyrus then reforged; I now have a new generic superstrong mind stick)
1x Shura Glove (I heard good things about Refia BSB but I'm not certain whether or not it's worth giving up PCecil BSB)

Not that great of a haul, especially given how I had Vivi's BSB already so he does the whole "EnFire mage" thing better than Terra.

This is I suppose karma catching up to me for my 5/11 BSB-only Lucky Draw pull and then a 3/11 on the Buff-only Lucky Draw that was also all BSBs.

Anyways, Valigamaria died a fiery death at the hands of Exdeath, who set up Grand Cross and then just kept spamming 9999x3 Meltdowns while the rest of the party sat around and did basically nothing. Exdeath continues to not disappoint.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Beasteh posted:

Just going to quote :words: that I posted on the reddit recently

[Refia > PCecil.txt]

Personally if you have an Excalibur rosetta'd to +20 and platinum shield Cecil is still great and perfectly usable for doing 9999 x2 every turn. It's final fantasy, most of the bad guys are holy weak.

Refia has the benefit of choosing to go ranged, fires within generally heals for 2k per use, and she can self-boost. Her BSB entry and command 1 have far more potential for single target damage.

Well, goodbye PCecil.

Worth noting is that upcoming in Japan is a second BSB for Sephiroth that's basically Refia's BSB except better (since the first command can go up to 6 hits if your ATK is high enough, and given it being Sephiroth he can self-buff his ATK like crazy).

Also, Cloud BSB2 + the upcoming Cloud USB (10x ST wind/non-ele hits + Crit Rate = 50% for the user + 100% stun + EX mode [boost physical damage and all attacks made ignore the 9999 cap]) sounds like damage heaven. 50% self-crit rate on top of the ridiculous damage output of BSB2's commands with the bonus of those commands now getting to ignore the damage cap means that DeNa has made Cloud great again.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

So Cloud's USB was even more insane than predicted. Not only does Cloud get a flat 30% bonus to all physical damage he does after using the USB, his crit rate gets set to 100%. And remember, that USB also makes his attacks ignore the damage cap.

Sephiroth's second BSB is also completely insane. Not only do the burst commands make him into Refia 2.0: Darkness Edition, but the BSB itself also applies a shield effect to the whole party that's absorbs the next two attacks thrown at each party member (basically like blink but triggered by both physical and magic attacks).

CRITS.

Speaking of crits, how do I make Refia hit for 9999 per hit with her burst command? I can only get her to do ~3k a hit on top-end bosses assuming no crits even after applying tons of buffs and debuffs.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Assuming you're applying dark bargain from her aoe command, you should easily hit 9999 with just shout, given the hits crit. The thing with Refia's BSB is that the opener sets her crit rate to 50%, and command 1 does double damage on crit instead of 1.5x.

Really? I'm throwing around stuff like 20% damage RMs, the Dark Bargain command, Shout, stacking DEF drops (Armor Breakdown, Full Break, and Ark Blast), and I still can't get more than 3k a hit on the command before crits on the absolute top-end stuff.

For reference, I was testing it on Apocalypse difficulty Enkidu and his ~5000 DEF. Is there something I'm missing?

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 29, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Zurai posted:

We don't know the burst commands for Sephiroth's BSB2 yet.

Oh.

Still seems like Cloud is becoming the new crit master at any rate.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Two 11 pulls.

First 11 pull was nothing but Papalymo's new SSB, which is still a huge boon given it's my first +MAG and Hastega effect (and the strongest of them for a mage team to boot!)

Second one was dupe Thyrus (my 4th, aka may as well keep for mage synergy for this event) and Alphinaud's BSB.

Should I keep trying or just move on since those were 2/3 of my big wants (the last being Y'sholta BSB but that'll turn up in the future anyways)?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

So if I have my math right, it takes 490 MAG before Ley Lines, OK BSB, Devotion, and Burst Mode in order to push Tiamat to 3 hits.

I'm actually very close to that number in FF5 right now, but it might require dumping even more (rapidly depleting) 4* motes on his summoner sphere to get the last few points in MAG and would also require not running any RS armor for Alphinaud. A shame there's no 30 MAG accessory for FF5 because otherwise this would be an easy done deal.

Also as a forewarning: NO CONTINUING WITH MYTHRIL ON TORMENT. Have fun!

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ultima Weapon died first attempt; his weak phase would have brutalized me due to the sheer amount of AOE spam except for Penelo BSB, although damage wise Celes was cutting him apart with weakness exploiting Saint Crosses.

Tried an 11-pull on banner 5 to see if I could hit OK BSB and burned the last of my mythril reserves.

I got 0 5*s, proving that guaranteed 5* is complete bollocks and lies, and instead got my first OSB weapon with no idea what to use it for. Whoops.

I guess it's my strongest throwing weapon for Refia to use for backrow purposes, which is kind of funny.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

D200 Torment downed and mastered.

Alphinaud (LV80) | Devotion | Moore Branch (5* RS)/Tiara+++ (5*+++)/Cursed Ring (5* RS) | Tiamat R3/Firaja R4 (BSB: Aerial Blast)
Papalymo (LV79) | Mako Might | Flame Rod+++ (3*+++ RS)/Hypno Crown+++ (4*+++ RS)/Pendant | Chain Blizzaga R2/Meteor R3 (SSBs: Enochian Blizzaja, Ley Lines)
Exdeath (LV80) | Ace Striker | Flame Staff+ (5*+)/Exdeath's Curiass+ (5*+ RS)/Cursed Ring (5* RS) | Meltdown R1/Chain Firaga R3 (SBs: Grand Cross, Neo Almagest)
Tyro (LV99) | Dr. Mog's Teachings | Yoichi's Bow (5* RS)/Genji Helm (5* RS)/Necrophobe Ward (5* RS) | Heathen Frolic Sarabande R4/Multi Break R2 (SBs: Sentinel's Grimoire, Keeper's Tome)
Penelo (LV80) | Battleforged | Zeus Mace/Ninja Suit (5* RS)/Gigas Armlet | Curaja R4/Shellga R1 (BSB: Evanescence)

RW: Vessel of Fate

Tiamat was hitting for 9999x3 on the boss fight, which was completely absurd when Exdeath was only hitting for about 20k with weakness exploiting Meltdown.

Regardless, in between Sentinel's Grimoire, Shellga, AOE dances, sitting in the back row, and Grand Cross, the damage output of the boss fight was reduced to easily managable amounts and Penelo's AOE heal command kept everyone at high HP.

Then tore apart the FF14 event for good measure. The D200 Apocalypse MO fight was on the nastier side, but Gilgamesh's BSB to shut down the ST damage and continued application of magic (and exploiting the fire weakness with Meltdown) was enough to deal with it.

Then I did one more 11 pull on Banner 5 before it went away and got a dupe Gabranth armor (fine, it's more armor for FF12) and WoL's BSB. So now PCecil is completely dead to me. :rip:

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ultimate, Ultimate+ (with CM!), and Ultimate++ mastered.

Ultimate was a joke, just annoying.

Ultimate+ was absurdly painful to the point where I actually had no real recourse but to pick up Vanille's SB medica from Tyro's Selection (I had done the 11-pull months ago and just hadn't taken the free relic of choice until now). That was enough to basically negate the damage of ONE Crushing Blow.

By the time I finally won (no mastery due to not bringing dismissal), 2/5 party members were dead and another two were close to death, and the only reason I won was because the last fifth of Lightning's HP bar was nuked away by Hope's OSB.

Ultimate++ was a breath of fresh air in comparison. So much easier to keep under control damage wise, and even the HP to 1 attack didn't really scare me because of how fast his barriers got torn apart.

As for the MO battles, I (after much effort) managed to master U+ Barthandelus solo. My winning team there was Alph (BSB)/Papalymo (SSB1+2)/Vaan (BSB)/Tyro (SG + BSB)/Penelo (BSB); Ark Blast was needed just to keep Bart's damage under control in phase 2, and even with it only being U+ and with MB/FB/Ark Blast all applied he was still doing 1.5k+ with Destrudo to the whole party.

Point of advice: His Dispel is not QUITE an Ultimate Dispel; while it removes stat buffs on top of what regular dispel removes, it doesn't get rid of stuff like Burst Mode, and more importantly a Runic effect will protect whoever has it up from the Dispel (i.e. Exdeath won't lose his buffs if the Dispel hits while Grand Cross is up). Still, the second he drops below 50% HP, immediately begin reapplying Sentinel's Grimoire and Hastega.

Apocalypse Barthandelus I just did with a team on the discord and blew it apart with no real incident. Have fun trying that solo if you want, I'm not crazy enough for it.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Celes BSB2 seems not that incredible. Entry is Runic, +30% ATK/DEF on self, 8 ST physical spellblade holy/ice hits, and Burst Mode. Command 1 is 4 ST physical spellblade ice/holy hits and boost spellblade damage by a small amount for the next 2 turns, command 2 is 2 AOE physical spellblade ice/holy hits and a Dark Bargain buff (+30% +ATK/-DEF).

No quickcast commands and no en-element bonus means she'll be left in the dust by most major BSBs, and all she really has to show for it in exchange is Runic. Which makes the burst commands even less relevant because you'll just be recharging 5* spellblades/Snowspell Strike/Gaia Cross/Saint Cross anyways. It's the best way for Celes to put up Runic at least.

Also worth noting is that that the legend materia relics do not have any SBs attached and their legend materia is only LM1 quality; Celes' relic is only a low chance to dualcast spellblades as opposed to the medium chance to dualcast spellblades of Bartz's LM2. This makes them pretty marginal pulls, to say the least.

Celes LM2 also isn't supermassive, just a large boost to SB generation whenever you exploit a weakness. If it's really large, it might make up for no native access to Wrath or Lifesiphon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Zurai posted:

You're crazy, Celes's BSB2 is extremely good. It's Indomitable Blade for the fights where that's relevant (ie the fights where it utterly breaks the fight) and it's a self-buff extraordinaire BSB for the fights where the runic isn't relevant. Stacking ATK+30% is better than en-Element for damage. Being able to self-stack to the Attack cap is super nice (397 Attack required to self-stack to softcap in any realm, totally achievable without RS) and her command 1 gives a damage buff which completely avoids both the stacking buff cap and the attack cap.

LM2 is a large increase, which should mean she gets another +50% to SB generation from hitting a weakness, for +100% total. That means a standard ability is going to generate 120-130 gauge without Ace Striker, or 180-195 with. As long as the boss has a weakness to exploit (except Dark because you're not bringing Drainga or Darkra on her) she'll be able to get that BSB/SSB up quickly and keep it up, which is sometimes a problem for her.

How come the stacking ATK+30%s is better than en-Element. Before the ATK softcap it would be, but wouldn't it not be as good afterwards?

The command 1 buff was datamined to be +15%, so that's pretty nice.

• Locked thread