Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Probably not worth pulling on Keeper's Choice 2 if I already have Platinum Sword and Masamune, huh? I mean I guess having 6-star versions wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and the odds of a dupe aren't *that* high. It's mostly tempting because the Grimoire would be really nice, and a second shot at Ragnarok ain't bad either.

Then again it's around for a long time and right now I'm saving for Eiko and the next lucky banner, so I definitely don't need to be pulling on it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So for record diving, I can pretty much throw 3-star motes around like candy since you can buy more from the ghysal shop every time it renews, right? I mean obviously I'd only spend them on characters I intend to use a lot, but do I need to be stingy with them at all like I would with 4-star motes?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is it a bad idea to use mythril for a stamina recharge on these sundailies? It's really tempting to refresh it and keep pushing levels, but I know a lot of people recommend never using mythril for stamina.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Got a dupe Overture, Hawkeye, and Kaiser Shield. The shield seems pretty good (is it basically Full Break? I can't tell from the description), not sure if Hawkeye is anything special but I guess having an 8-strike Holy attack will be nice against bosses that are weak to it. Seems like it could also be handy to stick on a ranged fighter in the back row, but the game keeps giving me stuff for a front-row physical team so that isn't too useful at the moment. Got plenty of 5-star swords already so I guess I'll combine the Overtures.

Got a 4-star Diamond Armor and a 3-star Ice Armor too, which is always welcome.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Considering using one or two mythril this weekend to restore stamina and blast through the sundaily in the hopes of being able to finish the Ultimate battles in the FF7 event before it goes away, but I'm curious - do you lose any stamina you have left when you refresh it, or does "overflow" and add whatever you had left on top of maxing it?

This Zolom fight is really aggravating because I feel like I have enough damage to beat him with the RW Cloud OSB, but he keeps doing really bullshit attack orders on me, like 2 back-to-back AOE attacks that wipe half my party before I can get a Protectga up and slap him with power / armor breakdown. I dunno if I'm just unlucky or if I just need to pump a bunch more levels to get my HP / defense up. I didn't think about slowing the fight speed down to 1 before someone here mentioned it, so I'll give to give that a whirl since maybe it will give me an extra second or to to input commands without Zolom getting to hit me again.

It mostly sucks because I've got Shout and I'm so used to RWing a Wall for tough fights, but if I do that here then I don't think I can deal enough damage fast enough yet. Just not enough hones and I'm still slowly grinding my way toward crafting Full Break.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 13, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This might seem like a silly question, but all of your armor and weapons are upgraded to their max possible levels, right?

Yeah. I think a big part is that I just got my first couple MC2s last week, so I've got like 3 characters in the 65-70 range, a couple at 65, and a bunch at 40-50, so my raw stats just make it really rough when huge AoE attacks go off before I can set up. I have been pretty drat lucky with my draws and getting good offensive relics, but I'm still pretty squishy and without strong hones I end up running out of gas a lot against the giant HP sponge bosses if I take a defensive RW.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

They could always do Crystal Chronicles (I actually kinda liked that game even though a lot of people seem to hate it). Would be some neat-looking boss sprites at least.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Lightbringer and Wizard Rod from the 11-pull. Lightbringer seems badass, Wizard Rod seems very meh, especially since I've got Selphie with Dreamstage. But now I've got this and Garnet's BSB dagger, so I guess I'll have to level her up some day.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah I haven't had a single roulette land on me yet, was starting to wonder if if was broken.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

SageAcrin posted:

Yeah I haven't had a single roulette miss me yet, was starting to wonder if it was broken.

I mean, I don't actually care, since once I realized the zombies could one-shot me, I started using disproportionate force :black101: but.

Hah, feeling pretty lucky then. It wouldn't have really been a huge deal except for one of the elite dungeons where I fought 2 of them in the round right before a boss stage, and they both used Roulette right away. I pretty much never bring a revive skill with me, which might be dumb, but having half your team get instagibbed right before a boss would be pretty brutal.

edit: Meltigemini was way easier than I expected, even with a 60-ish level team and almost no synergy. Still slowly grinding toward Full Break, so I guess Chain Firaga is officially my first 5-star skill :toot: Dunno how often I'll use it since this game keeps making GBS threads physical relics on me even though I kinda want to run a mage team, but it will come in handy once in a while for sure.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 14, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So what should I use this Rosetta Stone on? Do I wait for a really good OSB or something, or just use it on a weapon that I use a lot? I'd hate to upgrade a weapon that ends up being obsolete soon, especially since these stones seem super rare, but I also don't want to let them collect dust in my inventory forever while I keep telling myself something better is coming soon.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So what are some of the better mage banners that are coming up soon-ish? I know I want to pull on OK and it sounds like Alphinaud is amazing too, but I've honestly got a pretty ridiculous physical team set up once I gain some more levels and craft / hone some better skills. Meanwhile my mage gear is mostly middling to bad, and I think the only mage BSB I have is Garnet's. Other than that I've got random low +Mag stuff like Shotgun and Sorcercess's Crown, but nothing that seems amazing based on what other people's mage teams look like.

I want to change that, since physical teams definitely aren't ideal for some situations, and I don't want to hit a wall where I need mages and have jack poo poo to work with. Anything coming up that is really heavily mage-focused, or are most of the godly banners people are talking about a good mix of physical / magic gear and I just have to hope I stop pulling swords?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

This is what you're looking for: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/52agoo/mage_meta_ultimate_guide_what_relics_to_look_out/

Even if you don't want to read the whole guide, he goes through all upcoming banners and points out the top ones for great mage stuff.

Oh wow, that's pretty thorough!

Thanks everyone, definitely gonna keep saving up Mythril now that I have a few things to look forward to.

Also I just realized I have Hope's SSB, and I meant to ask: does it scale off of his Magic of Mind stat? I'm not really sure how holy stuff works with that, since it's typically associated with white magic.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Are generic MC3 crystals going to start showing up in most events from now on? I'd really like to get at least one for Luneth's douple XP record, but there's no way in hell I'm beating this U+ undead dragon with level 60-70 characters, no Full Break, bad synergy, and low hones.

Also, is there like a spreadsheet with friend codes or anything? I'd like to clear up my list of people I followed early on and make sure some of the SBs I use most often have more slots.

v--- Awesome! It will probably be a good while before I can actually beat any of them, unless there's an easy gimmick that shows up or something, but at least I don't have to worry about missing out on this one too much.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 16, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Blockhead posted:

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/roamingwarriors/search

This site lets you search for any SB. It's really great. I usually sort by last login and then look for max level, that way you're getting the most up to date geared characters.

Perfect, thank you! Man this game has a really awesome community when it comes to creating helpful resources.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So what makes it a "lucky" banner anyway? Higher drop rates? And is this one worth pulling on? I only have 60 mythril saved up so far and I want to definitely pull on Onion Knight, Alphinaud, and the XIII banner that are coming up, with maybe one or two others that look pretty cool. I still have quite a few regular and elite dungeons to do also, so I have some extra mythril coming in from there.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

If I can barely squeak by in regular Ultimate fights, should I even attempt any of the Nightmare dungeon stuff? Pretty tempted by all the major orbs and neat accessories, but that's a lot of stamina to spend if I'm just gonna get stomped.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

If I beat a boss in the Nightmare dungeon, will it still be beaten after the dungeons close and reopen, or do I lose that progress? I was gonna go for the Meltdown record and I beat Garland like a chump, but Hein is just too much for a physical only team between his AoE blind and his insane evasion, and my mage team isn't even close to ready yet, so I guess I'll put that one on the backburner for now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Finally

(Technically Chain Firaga was my first 5-star, but that was anticlimactic so I'm not counting it. )

Now my question is, which 5-star ability do I focus on now? Do I keep saving orbs to hone this first? I'm mainly running a physical team with a mage team on the backburner until I get more relics / level people up. I hear about Thief's Revenge and Saint's Cross a lot, but I don't really have a good thief and my only knight doing holy damage right now is Beatrix. For magic, I have no idea. Chain spells? Dark Zone?

Also, what summon should I shoot for first? I'm getting reasonably close to being able to craft one. I see Alexander a lot on people's screenshots, is that a good place to start?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks for the tips guys! Definitely going to focus on R2 Full Break then.

Luckily it looks like that, Saint's Cross, and Maduin all use different orbs, so I guess I can chip away at all them as I go, since it sounds like those will be my best options for now. Still using a physical team, and now that I have Beatrix's Lightbringer I don't see her leaving any time soon. Wouldn't mind getting another Knight or two on the A-team too, if relics go in my favor. I've got Garnet's BSB and I'd like to have at least one good summoner in the wings for those fights where physical teams just don't cut it.

Now I have to figure out whether or not to pull on this Firion banner and the Vaan banner. They both seem to have a lot of hype and I'm at the point where basically all relics are good relics because I have lovely synergy for every realm still, but I also want to save up for Onion Knight, Alphinaud, the XIII event, and any lucky banners that drop between now and then, so it's going to be pretty tight in the mythril department.

edit: Oh and I forgot about OSB fest too, geez. And I'll probably dump a few mythril into refreshes during the next Orbfest, whenever that is.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Got Leon's axe and 2 of Maria's bow. That axe Burst seems pretty good against any boss weak to darkness (especially with a built-in drain attack), but the bows are kinda meh at this point I think, unless I'm missing something about it. Is there a reason to keep both of them or should I combine em? I don't think I've used a bow even once so far so I dunno if even a combined one will ever see much use. The magic boost is nice, but I've already got Vincent's shotgun and Edea's crown for that, and they don't stack, right? I'm guessing both of them are better mages than Maria, too, since I never hear anything about her.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

That FFRK sub-reddit has a lot of useful info on events and dungeons and stuff, but holy smokes there are people on there spending insane amounts of money on this game. Like, multiple people spending $100+ chasing Firion's BSB. Some dude said he whaled twelve times on this one banner. I'm not even doing dollar pulls until I know this game isn't about to disappear in a cloud of smoke in a couple weeks. I can't even imagine spending almost $400.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'll probably still pull on this banner just because I need any and all relics still, sucks that there's so many mediocre things on it, though. The Tome and Faris' BSB would be amazing, but I've had terrible luck trying to get them so far.

Also, quick question now that I've got Full Break - what all stacks / doesn't stack with this? From my extremely limited testing, it seems like it doesn't stack with stuff like Ark Blast / Beryl Serpent, but *does* stack with Breakdowns, unless I was just getting inconsistent numbers. Do any other debuffs stack with it, or is Full Break + Breakdowns + Protect / Shell / Back Row / bonuses from gear the most mitigation you can get?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

Please read the OP

Yeah, I was a little unclear on that last bit about the multiple IDs thing - Full Break seems like it should have a different ID than Ark Blast, which only affects 2 stats instead of 3, but it didn't seem like I was doing any more damage after using both than I was after using just Full Break. But using Armor Breakdown and Magic Breakdown after Full Break did have an effect. But it could have just been from me hitting with different characters or something.

So hypothetically, if I have a Breakdown, Full Break, an SB that lowers both Attack and Defense, and an SB that lowers Defense and Res, *all* of those stack?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks guys!

I looked at my team after I posted and realized that one of my dudes had RS on his weapon, so the difference in damage between him hitting with Armor Breakdown was huge compared to a non-RSed weapon on another character hitting after Full Break + Ark Blast. So basically I'm dumb and that explanation in the OP made perfect sense.

And Setzer's BSB sounds amazing. It's always kinda tricky to find a good balance for skills to bring along, I usually run Ramza with Full Break + one of the Breakdowns since I use him for Shout anyway, but on a lot of the tougher fights I pretty much have to bring Tyro along to use one or two of the other Breakdowns as well, which eats into my DPS a bit. My only other option for that slot is Terra right now, who deals a lot more damage than Tyro with magic, but neither of them really fit into the physical team. It looks like Vaan would be great in that slot, but I don't have any of his relics and I won't have enough to pull on his banner between this Lucky pull and saving for Onion Knight. Ah well, shouldn't chase a single relic anyways I guess. Freya would also be good, but same problem with a lack of relics there.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Cosmic Afro posted:

Hmmm, I've been thinking about it. I've been waiting for a good banner to drop some Mithril on to get some nice Faithgas and other Magic-Related party relics, considering my main A-Team party is pretty... complete by now. Thanks you, Climhazzard/Finishing Touch Cloud with Faris's Imperil Wind SSB.

Is there any good banners coming up for that, for building a nice mage-based party?

Someone linked this super-handy guide earlier https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/52agoo/mage_meta_ultimate_guide_what_relics_to_look_out/

There's a batch coming up of XIV, XIII, and a Nightmare Lucky Draw all in a row that sounds like it can basically take you from 0 to a godly mage team all on its own. Hell, they make it sound like just the Nightmare draw is enough, if you can hold out 2 months, which feels like a long-rear end time for this game. On the plus side, that means plenty of time to save mythril!

edit: There's also the OSB fest banner at the end of next month, but it sounds like people aren't sure if the relics are going to get shuffled around at all compared to the JP version. If not, that looks like another awesome one.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ugh not having a mage team makes so many of these Ultimate fights so frustrating and basically impossible :/

Lamia Queen with a physical team doesn't even seem doable, especially since she keeps charming my healer and putting people to sleep / confusing them right before SBs go off and stuff. I don't mind that the game requires different strategies, but these "have a bunch of good mages leveled up with skills honed or lol" checks are kinda annoying, because it doesn't really seem like the reverse happens very much. I haven't been playing for long at all, but I can't recall any fights where if you had a mage team you just couldn't really win.

With my XP coming from pretty much only Sundailies and not having enough orbs to create / hone good mage spells, it feels like I'm going to keep getting stuffed on certain events for quite a while still. I've got like 8 physical BSBs now and not a single mage one, and all of my mage characters are sitting around level 45-50 because there's no reason to ever use them for anything other than XP farming right now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Attestant posted:

We've just had a handful of fights where mages are actually pretty good and usable recently. We spent like good 6 months worth of ultimates where mages were basically unusable, because they simply didn't have the tools to do as much damage as Shout meta. Introduction of imperils, enelements, double-agas, faithaga+hastega effects, etc changed things. But it's definitely very hone heavy to really get going.

That said, 8 physical BSB's sounds like you should be able to do it. In terms of firepower, that is a lot. Have you tried the reflect tactic, where you reflect her so that she can't Blink herself?

Hah, didn't think of that reflect trick, gonna try that out. One of the issues is that it seems like Blink is the first move she uses every time, and it goes off before anyone would have a chance to set up reflect, so I'd have to wait out the first cast at least. I feel like I have enough firepower, but she keeps doing that AoE attack that puts people to sleep, and then casting charm twice in a row. And without fail it seems to put my attackers to sleep as their SBs are charging and / or confuse my healer right before an important heal. I just don't have enough orbs to hone stuff - my Lifesiphon is at 2, and my Banishing Strike is at 1, so I can't reliably get rid of her Blink since I only get 2 attempts and they are almost assuredly going to miss.

I keep getting her down to like 30% and then I'm out of gas because all of my non-SB skills and burst commands are missing, and then it just takes a couple unlucky turns where my healer gets confused / put to sleep and suddenly someone is dead and the fight is basically over.

I wasn't around for the last Orbfest so my hones are just total poo poo and I'm not sure what to do about that. I still have a lot of dungeons left, but maybe I should be farming dailies instead for a while? The only other option would seem to be breaking down major orbs and I'm pretty sure that's a terrible idea.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Thank you guys for the tips! I was able to take down the U+ and got Champion by 1 medal. Tense as hell and basically came down to getting super lucky on who she hit with statuses. Still put my attackers to sleep right before their SBs like 5 times, and one of my two Full Breaks missed even after reflecting Blink, which pissed me off a bit, but she used Charm like a dozen times and confuse only stuck twice somehow. There was a scary point where everyone was below half health and Selphie's medica was charged, but she was asleep, and my strongest attacker was confused. Then she did that AoE hit and knocked everyone out of it just in time.

Ended up breaking down a couple major orbs and used them on two R2 copies of Lifesiphon, which was a major help. Gonna try to take down my first ever U++ next, I guess!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Well huh, that U++ was really, really easy compared to the U+. :confuoot:

Guessing this is not typically how U++ fights go? Having Beatrix's BSB + Pecil on the RW just mulched them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Morning Star, All-Rounder, and zero 4-stars. Yuck, worst Lucky Draw for me so far.

edit: also, what is up with a few of the resistance equipment pieces like Flame Shield, which gives a bonus to ice and a weakness against fire? Shouldn't that be the opposite? I feel like ___ Shield / Armor has always given defense against that element in every FF game I can remember.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 26, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

More stuff that needs mages :(

That's like 3/4 mote dungeons that are really, really hard to beat with a physical team. Ifrit might be doable but I got a string of terrible RNG where he did like a 4-strike physical attack before I got mitigation up and then hit everyone with a 3k AoE spell so uhhh. Magus Sisters I have no idea, I know mages can just put them to sleep and nuke them but that isn't an option for physical teams and I don't see how it's possible to burn down Cindy fast enough to prevent Delta Attack and still get mitigation up for the insanely hard-hitting single target stuff. Are there any cool tricks I could try out? There seems to be a lot of stuff that isn't in the Mog tips for these difficult bosses and I dunno how anybody is supposed to figure it out on their own.

If this drat game would give me a mage BSB or two :argh: (I've actually got Garnet's, but without being able to craft / hone summons she doesn't seem very good right now)

I'm not even sure what spells I should be crafting / honing first - do I start with the -ajas and go from there, or do I skip those for chain spells?

I hope there's an orbfest soon because I also really badly need summon orbs. I have a R3 Ramuh and that's it. I'm guessing Valefor is better to craft instead of Maduin since it requires way less summon orbs? It takes some major orbs too, which sucks, but summon orbs definitely seem to the be the bigger bottleneck.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Oh nice 3 shinies I wonder what they'll b -

So is this thing any good? Do I combine 2 and have a spare around for synergy, or just combine all of them? I don't really run any gun-users ever.

Still bummed about missing Vaan's BSB twice, but oh well I guess.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So what abilities are the absolute must-haves for mage teams? I've got Chain Firaga / Stonega / Thundaga from the events (all at R1), and I've got R4 Curaja along with R2 Shellga and Protectga for mitigation, but I'm not sure what to prioritize for offensive spells and I don't want to waste orbs.

For summons I'm going with Valefor first, just need to wait for another source of summon orbs first. I assume I want Diaga for holy damage, but do I go for the -aja elemental spells and skip the -agas, or do I skip them both and focus on the chain spells? Dark spells seem pretty good and get a pretty hefty boost through record diving (do they get the damage bonus from Black Magic *and* Dark Magic?) but the skills for it also seem very expensive, so I'm guessing that is something to shoot for later down the line.

So far I've basically got R2 Waterja and Ruinga, R2 Firaja, plus a smattering of -aga spells and utility stuff with low hones. I'm starting to level up the mages that I have gear for, so now I just have to figure out how to kit them out. Right now I'm basically running Terra, Garnet, Edea, Vincent, and Selphie as my mage team until I pull some good SBs / BSBs for other mages.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

What the poo poo is up with this Ultimate fight, it is hard as hell! Those things are just making GBS threads AoE that is doing over 1k with Protectga / Shellga up, and the single target magic is hitting for almost 3k.

This is harder than last week's U+ and U++ fights.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 31, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Paralyze/Sleep takes them out of the fight. Quezacotl is your best option for Paralyze if you don't want to bring Lullaby or use a Reno RW.

I don't have a mage team so that's out the window :/

Basically I have to figure out a way to do it with an all physical team (with one mage that can bring Ramuh and Thundaja) and that's it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm kinda starting to get a little annoyed about how much of the new content that's coming out is just blatantly a mage-team check. Like come the hell on, an ultimate fight where the boss hits with a 2k damage AoE and the little minions won't stop hitting with 2-3k magic even through mitigation, and if you have a mage team you can just put them to sleep but with a physical team just gently caress you I guess? Like what the hell am I supposed to do here? Even if I put them to sleep somehow, the physical attacks would just wake them up anyway, and I can't burn them down fast enough before they've nuked my party into the ground. Especially when they all decide to target the same character.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Try a Ninja then - they don't need a lot of MAG, and RES isn't a concern with them. Ramza's a solid option since he can also carry Lullaby to Sleep them, and then Bolt Veil once they're out of the fight. Alternatively, any of the Ninjas can carry Phantasm if you don't mind Sleeping them one by one.

Ramza is the only Ninja I've got, and I'd have to create / hone those spells but that might be an option. But then I'd have to give up Full Break or Magic Breakdown on him (or both to use Bolt Veil too). And even with sleep, the rest of my team would be waking them out of it, wouldn't they? Sleep on a physical team seems pretty much useless in my experience.

This might just be a fight I can't possibly win, which I guess is bound to happen once in a while, but it feels pretty lovely when it's an ultimate fight and I've been able to do U and U+ fights for weeks now and finished my first U++ in the last event. And when the rewards are awesome - 7 major wind orbs is a *lot* of hone potential for me right now.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 31, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

kalensc posted:

Lightning SSB RW will melt 75-90% of the Azer's health, I have mine up right now via code qcqe

Edit: Actually, that's Lightning benefiting from an active Shout, so the RW will do much less damage but two casts should take out the Azers

Thanks, I will give this a shot later.

My biggest issue is even staying alive long enough to get to that point. I have to keep S/Ling because of poo poo like getting hit with 2k AoE and then having the Azers both blast the same person for 3k before I can even take a single action, which is, uh, not working so well for me. I dunno how I'm supposed to keep up with every enemy being able to do half of a character's health in a single attack.

Edly posted:

I don't understand this part, why would you attack them once they're asleep?

My team is 100% physical damage, and most of my BSB / SB commands are multi-target - do those not wake things up? I've tried sleep before on a physical team and nothing seemed to stay asleep long enough to really matter anyway, but that was back when I had much shittier gear so maybe I could burn him down before the Azers wake up or something.

--v Nope, no ice resistance stuff

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 31, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

U-DO Burger posted:

I went in with three physical attackers, one healer, and one mage (no SBs, just Quetzalcoatl and Bahamut), equipped with a bunch of ice resist accessories and came out just fine. You absolutely do not need a mage team.

I'm pretty new so I don't have anything like your set-up. I can't even craft Bahamut, and I could craft Quetzalcoatl but not hone him. I don't have a single ice-resistance accessory or armor, either. This is probably just one of those gear / hone checks that I can't pass, which I guess I just have to deal with once in a while unless I can pull it off with the Lightning SSB or get absurdly lucky with the RNG or something. I'm just kinda venting because I really could use those major wind orbs but perhaps it's not gonna happen this time. It mostly just feels lovely because I've been breezing through regular Ultimate fights for a while now and this is legit harder for me than every U+ fight I've done so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

God dammit I hate this fight so much. Finally got the Azers down with a combination of sleep and Swift Bolt / Ramuh (even though Lullaby missed all 3 Azers like 5 times in a row), then one woke up and one shot Ramza for 5k with a crit Blizzara. Reset and get them down again. Go to cast Thundaja on the boss, who has been dispelled. Right before it goes off he recasts reflect on himself, the Thundaja bounces and one-shots Gilgamesh, who has Banishing Strike, so now I can't use magic against him and I'm all out of hones and Ramza's Unsung Hero is doing 700 damage per strike.

This fight loving sucks.

• Locked thread