Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I wanna stress to anybody who just so happened to start playing recently, or come back after a hiatus, :siren: Tyro's Selection II is an insanely good banner to gear yourself with, you should probably pull on it instead of an event banner! :siren:

Platinum Sword / Shout and Sentinel Grimoire are extremely strong soul breaks and the rest of the items on the banner will serve you well. Don't be put off by the gimme relics being shared or generic - pick the ones that boost elemental damage, give elemental resistance, or have a shared party heal soul break and it will serve you as well as any fancy soul break relic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

On the subject of smart pulls vs favoritism pulls, I just want to say that every single pull-because-I-love-this-guy has backfired (except for my swole Bartz), whereas I hate FF13 and lucky draws have made it far and away my most stacked realm. It's kinda funny, because it almost makes me have a better opinion of the game in hindsight when I roll over everything with my super-geared Hope (who I loving hated), and Lightning (who I was ambivalent towards). Like, aww yeah, it's time to bring out these annoying fuckos I despise and ruin everything with them :slick:

Similarly I hate FF6 but I like it a lot in retrospect after steamrolling everything with my super-powered Celes.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 9, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ceritus posted:

finalfantasyfans.txt

I may have ventured slightly into hyperbole, it's true :shobon:

Except for Hope, gently caress Hope.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It's going to take all my willpower to not an MC3 lode on Bartz when Luneth, Zidane, and Cloud have such good record materia. :(

I love the music in FF6 but I find basically every other aspect of it really dull. It's the same thing with FF4. It's not even a situation of me being biased against that era of games because FF5 is probably #3 on my ~tier list~ and I also liked FF1 and Chrono Trigger. I've really tried to get into it, but I just can't; the furthest I've ever gotten is the floating continent. I have played Awful Fantasy 3 to completion

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mastered CM Diamond Weapon with this:

RW was Sheepsong, notable SBs used were Gauntlet on Yuffie, Healing Wind on Aeris, and Healing Moment on Cait Sith. Gauntlet on Yuffie was absolutely clutch, as the blink effect fully absorbed an entire Stamp Out twice, making it good for about ~20k HP in mitigation. Plus, it also sneaked in about 8k damage a use, which ended up being really important because by the end of the fight I had nearly exhausted all the ability uses I had. Yuffie and Vincent were completely spent, I had about four heals left between Cait and Aeris, and Red was only doing about 2k a hit with breakdowns. One thing that took me completely by surprise though was that Yuffie was hitting for quad nines with Swift Bolt when Diamond's core was shut. Ninja magic is surprisingly badass.

I really enjoy CMs! They always end up being nailbiters for me, as an f2p.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I got Rikku's Steal Power fist. Given this is literally my second unique FFX SB after having played this game for a year and a half, I'll loving take it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It boils down to hones. I started playing April 2015 and the only content I haven't cleared so far are a few CMs (Mainly FF8), Brynhildr in one of the earliest XIII events, and the original Rinoa parade float. I've spent exactly $1 on the game, during the first FFT event. It really does just boil down to hones for most people unless you have insanely unlucky draws, which even now isn't as much of an issue any more with G5. Just being able to clear ultimates consistently gets you more major orbs to make more 5* skills so you can clear ultimates more consistently.

With regards to Ahirman, you don't need to kill the adds at all. Take Basch, put Magic Lure and a Gigas Armlet on him, and Shout as an RW. Now all you have to do is figure out a way to survive Maser Eye and you win. Put +HP accessories on your squishy healers.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 4, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Alxprit posted:

...man I really hope I get Onion Knight's burst.

Fuckin :same:

I did a 50 on this FFX banner (got two chaos rods, which I'm pretty happy with) but the rest of my mythril is going to go towards FF3 - 1 for OK's Burst. Hopefully with all the handouts I should have enough for two pulls by then.

I just want to add that after a year and a half of playing I still only have one native Hastega, Porom's SSB. For some reason the slot machine just really, really, REALLY does not want me to have a good Hastega SB :(

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

What does Limit Chaining refer to, anyway? I've not played FF11 and thus far the only similar sounding things are Chain -ga spells/Powerchain.

In XI, whenever you struck an enemy for 1+ damage with your weapon, you gained TP(Tactical Points? Technical Points?) based on how long the delay was between your attacks(More delay = more TP). After you saved up 100 TP, you could use a weapon skill, which was a big flashy attack. XI had a mechanic called skillchaining where each weaponskill had a polarity, and using weaponskills of harmonious polarity in sequence resulted in a skillchain, which was a big flashy explosion that did a bunch of physical elemental damage. There was a short window during and after a skillchain in which any offensive magic cast on the victim would Magic Burst and do significantly more damage.

Back when I played all of this was ignored and we just spammed our highest damage WS without a care in the world.

Edit: Valkyrie for Rinoa, Aevis Killer for Faris. Not so bad, I needed an FF8 magic stat stick. The bow is beyond useless (for me) though.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 9, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They did an arrangement of Awakening (the Shadowlord/Dynamis-Xarcabard track) for the FFXI event coming up in JP.

FFRK Remixes of tracks from old games continue to be incredibly good. I hope they do some more FFXI stuff soon, I'd love to see Maat and Zeid as characters.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

On the topic of Raf(ph)a and Mala(ch)k (they need a good translation bridging nickname like Orlando imo) I would assume they decided it was about high time FFT had access to some mages. That game is predisposed towards sword wielders and Knights for obvious reasons. Meliadoul's the best fit for a FFT Dragoon, though, and I don't see her getting upstaged by... who's left by now? Beowulf and Reis?

Also if that event doesn't finally give us Buttpants Ramza I will flip my poo poo. I'll take Mercenary Ramza if I have to but c'mon DeNA gimme the buttpants I'll pay you five million dollars

In terms of "This is an important character relevant to the story", there's a lot of ways they could go. The problem is that there's so many Knights and Spellblades. Elmdore would be a good pick just so they could do a Samurai. Otherwise, Weigraf and Folmarv, or FFTA/2 characters. Or Cloud. :v:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Grozz Nuy posted:

Ashe's BSB commands count as BLK, right? Does that mean they have a chance of triggering twice with Blood of Espers, or should I stick to Devotion instead?

Burst commands classified with BLK, Spellblade, etc. actually will trigger doublecast RMs, but if you aren't doing at least ~9k damage per hit you're better off with devotion.

Always hilarious when I'm running doublecast spellblade on Bartz and he doublecasts a flurry on something weak to it. BAH GAWD BUTTS IS GUNNA KILLEM

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm pretty sure we're gonna get the FF11 event. After all, we got Dissidia.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lechtansi posted:

If I have Faris + BSB, and I have Agrias + cleansing strike, which one is more valuable to have? I like having agrias for those sweet knight skills, and I still don't know how good Faris is when she isn't BSB'ing. I already ramza + shout, so I'm not hard up for support.

What do you think?

Both, my dude. Cleansing Strike stacks with everything Faris brings on her BSB. Nothing Faris does will conflict with Ramza either if you run Thief's Revenge and Mug Bloodlust on Faris and Armor Breakdown with another filler skill on Ramza.

Edit: but idk what your overall status is in the game w/r/t ability access and hones, if you don't have access to high-end stuff like Thief's Revenge and Mug Bloodlust you might be better off leaving Ramza on the bench and RWing Shout, or leaving Faris on the bench and just taking Full Break + Breakdown on Ramza. Agrias should pretty much always be on your team either way though.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 14, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lechtansi posted:

I'm a day 1 player, so I have both mug bloodlust and thiefs revenge. I haven't honed either of them, I could probably hone thiefs.

The reason why I'm trying to decide between the two is because I already have a solid a-team of Butz w/ BSB, Greg w/ BSB, Ramza w/ shout, Agrias w/ cleansing and Yoshi Cola with SS2. I could see replacing Greg, because his BSB isn't that useful, but having a permanent saints cross user is handy (although I could have Agrias use it, since she is my shellga carrier if I need it and protectga and she otherwise carries lifesiphon).

Our A-Teams are really similar! My usual build is Butts with Light of the Four, Faris with Beryl Serpent and Mako Might, Agrias with Cleansing Strike, Yuna with Miracle Veil and Ace Striker, and a flex slot that usually just goes to Celes with Indomitable Blade. I have SS2 and SG but when you're running Cleansing Strike + Beryl Serpent, Wall is almost always overkill on any single-target boss. I RW shout, even on Ult++ fights. Just stick Lifesiphon and Protect/Shellga on Agrias.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Shock Trooper posted:

Worlds collide and people fade
Seeking gates through timelines, we've all prayed
Let's fix the past, trade it now to see smiling faces
This hope, heart of Chaos cannot take
Paradoxes must break, this is the path I must take
My destiny may change your fate
The pain my heart feels is my strength

:same:

I never played XIII-2 but I found out Naoshi Mizuta did most of the music for it after the fact. He did most of my favorite tracks from FFXI, so it turns out I love FFXIII-2's soundtrack! :toot:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Holy poo poo Jenova Death's Red Light is one-shotting my level 80 healer even through Shell, Ark Blast, and Magic Breakdown :stare:

That's because Red Light is physical damage my dude.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

AweStriker posted:

How is anyone even supposed to handle Vinuskar, anyway? I tried, but it does wtfdamage wtfast and if it decides to use Bite on any of its first three or so turns whoever it hits is basically dead.

I think it's almost purely physical. If you can't handle the damage, RW a wall and use RMs like Zell's Raw Power on your healers to get help get Protectga off before he attacks. As a side note, I feel so goddamn lucky to have Cleansing Strike and native SG :blush: I almost never lose fights just based on incoming damage any more with my A-Team. I got Goddess's Bell from the FF2 event too and it made Nightmare Necrophobe doable. If you guys didn't know, by the way: SBs like Goddess's Bell that put ATK/MAG debuffs, as well as things like Faris's Magic and Power Breakdown burst commands, will trigger the Necrophobe barriers. I got Mastery by the skin of my teeth because of this!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Attestant posted:

Even the "bad" ones.

I'm looking forward to making an 8* Tiny Bee following my lucky BSB pull.

Actually Yuna is my best caster so it wouldn't even be a total disaster. :v:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

AweStriker posted:

slooowly catching up on nightmares. How's Neo Bahamut?

You'll need R5 Shiva, Ifrit, and Ramuh for sure. When I did it, I also had R4 Valefor and Maduin, and R2 Bahamut. Neo Bahamut is also one of the Nightmare bosses that existed before they started being rude about ninja magic, so you can r5 a three-star veil and slap it on Tyro for a ton of extra damage. If you're willing to sink orbs into Phantasm it's also a huge help. I took Tyro with R5 Swift Bolt and R4 Phantasm.

It's been so long I don't remember the actual mechanics of the fight. I think he switches elemental polarities and you want to actually hit him with what he resists rather than what he's weak to, because he has little helper nerds that pop him for a ton of damage after the phase where he cycles weaknesses ends if you hit him with what he resists.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Varance posted:

PSA: For all you whiny fucks who complained about the Lucavi death animation for FFT realms, they fixed it for future encounters.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQ5tGpoWMo&t=510s

I think this was in the last... FFT thing. My favorite bit is how the zodiac stone falling to the ground isn't part of the death animation, but then he drops an orb and it kind of imitates that part anyway. :3:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

U++ gave me enough Major Wind Orbs to R4 Saint Cross :frogc00l:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's probably saying something that Edgar is the only other 'Machinist' BSB. They probably haven't really figured out how to properly do one yet, and Laguna/Mustadio are the only full Machinists left. Quistis actually does the status affliction role just as well as Edgar and better than Balthier if you don't need to spread it around, between her BSB and OSB, as well as access to Stop, Blindga, Intimidate, and potentially Slowga. She has to rely on the crappier versions of Sleep/Poison, but that's about it.

One of my main complaints with the game is that the skillsets they've added, starting with Machinist, have been very poorly fleshed out and basically consist of "Here's some niche 4-5 star skills only a couple dudes can use", even in situations where existing skills could be moved to a different skillset. Leg Shot is still a Celerity skill when it would make more sense as Machinist or Sharpshooter, for instance. They need to figure out a way to make status effects viable too, even if only gimmicky poo poo like "Boss is vulnerable to Stop, but only when preparing to cast Fuckja XVI".

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, the more I look at it, the more I'm okay with it, pun not intended.

Yeah, OK's BSB is basically the holy grail of the banner, and both Arc SSB2 and OK SSB are good, top-shelf items, but I find myself unimpressed with Luneth's BSB what with Kain's BSB being right over there, and everything else is gradually showing its age.

On the other hand, Ingus's BSB is basically an earth-coded take on Gilgamesh's, Refia's BSB is just as broken as OK's if not moreso, OK's Tailwind wannabe is there, and even Desch's imperil-lightning has some utility if you've pulled a bunch of poo poo like Ashe BSB or Lightning's...pretty much anything.

Banner 2 is looking more and more appealing the more I look at it, and if I have to choose only one banner to pull on (ideally, I'd do both and the Black Friday draw) I'd probably gun for 2.

Refia's BSB is some of the highest damage output of physical BSBs but I'm not sure how that compares to having an excuse to use OK in your party 100% of the time given how good his stats and skillset are. Luneth's BSB may not be super impressive but it still hits hard and has Stun utility both on use and with command 1, along with command 2 having +ATK/-RES (and Luneth has access to Dark Bargain to stack +ATK/-DEF on top of that). *both* of Arc's SSBs are great, not just the new one, and even Ingus's SB still great. I think banner 1 is a lot stronger overall than banner 2, which just has a lot of uninspiring damage SBs. Having saved up a ton of mythril for this, I'm definitely planning on using banner 1 to fill out my synergy over banner 2, unless I get OK's gauntlets on my first pull.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 23, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I've got Dr. Mog's Teachings and Mako Might, and they've been really helpful in getting some U and U+ clears. Are there any other RMs that you guys would consider useful enough to level a character that's not on my A-team? Right now I'm running with Aeris, Fran, Tyro, Celes, and Greg.

% Damage with (Weapon/Skill) RMs are always good if you don't have them, especially Holy Knight's Pride from Agrias, which like Unbreakable Spellblade from Celes is a 30% damage boost. Ace Striker/Battleforged from Tidus/Ramza are always good picks, along with Knight's Charge or Lionheart from Steiner and Squall on AoE-heavy fights or on a taunter. Definitely get Devotion from Vivi if you don't have it yet, as it is still even in the JP version of the game the strongest magic-damage boosting RM.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Thanks. Also, do Celes's burst commands count as spellblade abilities?

iirc yep but I don't know for certain. You can check for yourself by looking at the burst commands on the SB description in game. It'll say "Type: Spellblade" in the ability description if they are. I have Bartz's BSB and I know the commands for that one are spellblades and trigger spellblade damage/doublecast RMs.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Wilekat posted:

I suppose I should followup with recommendations on ability setups for this too then. I'm poor and new so my collection is lacklustre at best, so generic targets would be neat. I'm still mostly using 3* stuff, but options are opening up for me on 4*s thanks to event orbs.

Aerith: Curaga, Protectga/Shellga
Tidus : Lifesiphon, Hydroburst (got it free from event)
Paine: Spellblade element and x knight ability?
Faris: I have no idea. I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to Thief/Dancer. I'm mostly mashing Tempo Flurry. Presumably I'd run MultiBreak and something if I had them.
Quina: similarly no clue. Running BLM elemental stuff seems silly. Breakdowns?

For 4* stuff, you'll probably want Curaja at some point. It generally heals for a good ~20% more than Curaga. Breakdowns are great but if you're running Faris because you have her BSB then it's not *completely* necessary. Still, you are probably gonna want Power Breakdown and Magic Breakdown just so you aren't totally married to Beryl Serpent. Bear in mind, versus targets that resist stat reduction, they are only slightly more effective than 3* breaks, but it's still a huge help. A decent filler skill to stick on Faris or Tidus while you save up major orbs for better stuff would be the Celerity skill Dismissal. It has a 2x damage modifier and a 25% chance to Stun, which resets the victim's ATB to 0 no matter what they were doing at the time. Unlike other status effects, very, very few enemies resist Stun. 4* dances are a little more niche.

For 5* stuff, Full Break is still incredibly important and you should get it to R2 ASAP. Beyond that, you should consider Full Charge, as even though it takes a long time to do its damage, it's still a lot of value for the orbs spent, and you are pretty much always going to have a dude with Combat 5 on your team. Other than that you should take a look at who your strongest party members are and what their skills are and equip yourself accordingly. There's only a few really bad 5* skills, mostly stuff like Holy, Flare, Barrage, and Quick Hit that have been around for a long time. Other things, like Powerchain, are kind of niche. Since you're running Tidus though, you can consider doing Powerchain and Full Charge in tandem, as they synergize very well and he's one of the few characters who have both Celerity 5 and Combat 5. Faris is Thief 5, and she can make great use of Thief's Revenge. Paine is Knight 5 and Spellblade 5, and both Saint Cross and Tornado Strike are great. It's really up to you how you want to equip yourself at this level. Saint Cross is also a good choice its broad range of characters that can use it; There's a knight in every realm except FFVII and XI and that's changing very soon.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 23, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Servaetes posted:

So okay, someone explain what OK's BSB is? A few buddies that play as well are screeching about how strong it is.

Isn't he just a Tyro lite character?

It's basically a hybrid shout that you can chain infinitely.

+30% ATK/MAG and Hastega. Burst commands are 4 hits physical damage (~2x total), next physical action non-charge, and 4 hits magical damage (rougly equivalent to a ja-nuke in terms of potency), next magical action non-charge. OK himself isn't as flexible as Tyro but in exchange he gets *incredible* stats and is good at healing, nuking, or punching.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I still haven't decided which Rank 6 skill I'll hone. I probably never will hone any and just leave them in What If I Need A Rank 6 Ability In The Future limbo.

I think so far the only 6* abilities worth honing have been Northern Cross, Meltdown, Affliction Break, Curada, and *maybe* Snowspell Strike if you want it for someone besides your IB/Runic Celes, even in the JP version. I guess Neo Bahamut but there haven't even been enough summon crystals to hone it in JP.

There's also this 6* combat skill that works kinda like Lifebane that sounds good but eh.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ingus's shield and nothing else. :doh: Waiting to see what the next couple of days hold before I do a second 50. At least this is my second hastega relic and the first one that I would actually want to cast at the start of a fight?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Black Friday banner is full price, oh well let's see what I get

Vivi's Flame Staff, Fang's Rhomphaia, Gilgamesh's Masamune. GET. THE. gently caress. IN

I don't even care that all my bursts are FF5 and FF13 now, except Vivi's.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I literally just doubled the amount of BSBs I own, and half of them are in FF5. Can't loving wait to ruin the next FF5 CM

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm just asking here in case someone can think of something I'm missing: I got Fang's BSB from the Black Friday Banner and now that I have my first imperil anything I'm trying to think of ways to take advantage of it (It's Wind).

I have Bartz's BSB command Flurry Storm, Snowspell Strike, Tornado Strike, and Meltdown. I'm gonna unlock Sky High on Fang so she can use that. Are there any wind SBs or abilities coming up soon on good banners? I know 14-1 has Alphinaud's BSB which is apparently bonkers but outside of that I'm drawing a blank. Right now outside of Fang and Bartz's SB the only thing wind-elemental I have is Climhazzard for Cloud.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vprisoner posted:

Actually, does anyone know if buffs can stack as long as multiple stats are being modified in some way? I got Leon's Rune Axe off the black friday pull and I wouldn't want Ambition's Price to get in the way of Shout or anything

The rule of thumb is that each stat modifier has its own status ID, and anything that has a different status ID can stack. I don't remember the exact IDs, but "+ATK" "+ATK/DEF" "+ATK/-DEF" "+ATK/RES", et cetera, can all stack, for example. There are some exceptions to this; Ingus's BSB coming up sticks a +ATK/DEF that stacks with existing +ATK/DEF buffs, such as Hand of the Emperor or Apocalypse Shield, and crit enhancing buffs just take whatever the highest crit buff is and ignore any other modifiers.

Keep in mind if you have good synergy and are using shout, you are gonna hit the ATK softcap and see diminishing returns with pretty much one additional stacking attack buff.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 26, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

kalensc posted:

How is Faris optimally kitted out with her BSB? Since it doesn't stack with Full Break or Breakdowns do people use it more as a supplementary source of mitigation? Something like Ramza as main support and Faris as a thief, and then they swap to DPS and support when a BSB is ready?

On single target fights I open with a Mako Might Beryl Serpent and then follow up with Mug Bloodlust and the burst commands. I'm starting to think I might be better off taking armor breakdown instead of Thief's Revenge though. Usually if she just gets hit a couple times while going about her business she can keep burst mode up indefinitely.

But that's the beauty of Faris, she can cover a lot of edge case status weaknesses with Machinist and Dancer if you dive her, or just do respectable damage with Thief's Revenge while healing herself.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Oh man I just took Fang's BSB out for a spin for the first time on the Ult++ and with Tornado Strike and Sky High it was just :allears: Imperil-Element owns so hard you guys.

I have to say, I looked at the upcoming banners and I'm really surprised at the complete lack of buzz for the upcoming FF8 banner. I looked at what the items on it do and Zell's BSB in particular is NUTS. Instant cast, 10 x.74 hits with a chance to proc stun, sets the party's crit rate to 50%, has Dark Bargain on command 1 and Powerchain on command 2. The other items on it are solid, too; Laguna in particular gets a gun that puts a 50% attack boost on the party in addition to doing a ton of damage. Maybe it's just because I'm still thirsty for FF8 synergy but I'm going to give my second pull on FF3-1 a miss so I can give this a pull instead.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

So the black Friday lucky draw gave me my third BSB!

...for Jecht. Any abilities that work particularly well with the drunk rear end in a top hat?

Oh man, you just engaged man mode. With Dark Bargain, burst mode, and another attack boost like Shout active, you can hit some disgusting Lifebanes.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Wow, anyone got some tips for Caius?

He's a real fucker, the three free hits makes him RNG as hell. The only way to kill his Body and Soul offensive buff is with something like Cleansing Strike that hits ATK/MAG. iirc you can actually remove the RES debuff he puts on you with Eye of Bahamut by reapplying Shell or something like that? Otherwise, something like Celes's default soul break that gives a RES buff will overwrite it. Provided you can keep his MAG down and Eye of Bahamut doesn't gently caress you over it's not too bad. His Giga Gravitons were only hitting me for like ~400, or ~1k on people that were Eyed.

FWIW, Caius definitely gave me the most trouble when I beat him back in the day, the original Bahamut SIN and Cagnazzo were hard but they didn't even compare.

Munoma posted:

Is there a solid strategy against Ultimate Bahamut that I'm unaware of?

Bahamut readies Flares at certain health thresholds. Just save your burst for when he's about to use them. You have better synergy than I did when I beat it, but I also had native wall, so try using a defensive RW instead of an offensive one. Shout wasn't in the game yet the first time we fought Bahamut SIN. Also, when SIN hits low health, he's going to use Flare. If you have no magic mitigation it's gonna hit for about 6k.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I would be alright with Cagnazzo if he didn't have stupid aoe sleep and slow along with all his other bullshit. This fight is terrible and would totally pass as a U++ these days.

Cagnazzo's a real shitter. If you have *any* way to eat magic, like Runic, Indomitable Blade, or Grand Cross, use it. It'll eat his Stop counters as well. Additionally you're opening yourself up to losing to RNG really badly if you don't take three separate people with lightning attacks and a way to dispel his haste. Honestly the most obnoxious thing about the fight is how he flips between being vulnerable and immune to ice and lightning.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Sprite141 posted:

Oh man, please tell me you were dumb enough to invest in the trap that is the red mage/sage line. It provides absolutely nothing, and is worth so many valuable 4* motes.

After a certain point you just want to make your husbando/waifu as huge as possible, opportunity cost of doing so be damned.

Why yes I have a fully dived (including Spellblade +3% from Snowspell Strike) Bartz, why do you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Dang, the new FFX event in Japan has two 6* items on the first banner, four BSB or greater items on both, and only SSBs filling out the rest. No unique/shared/no-SB items. Is this the first event with that format?

• Locked thread