Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yeah, despite it's age it's actually still a really good mage BSB. If I recall rightly, it doesn't pay the usual "Enspell Tax" that other mage bursts do plus the C1 has a nice self-heal attached for good utility.

Also the light armor itself is +Lightning too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Having gotten Steiner's BSB1 from my Black Friday lucky I decided to look at the potencies and stuff in comparison to spellblades.

Assuming you're hitting something fire weak/imperiled you get 5 hits from the Burst C1 at 260 total potency while Blazing Twinstrike (after the skill buffs) is 4 hits for a total of 320 potency. Is the extra hit worth the hit in potency to make it more useful over Blazing Twinstrike? I know in a lot of cases more hits is preferred for damage cap scenarios but I don't know how much that will come up with a burst command doing 52 potency per hit.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

ceaselessfuture posted:

I think every question like this has the same answer: "are you capping the fewer-hit ability? If so, more hits is better. If not, then no."

So basically experiment with 'em a bit and see what sticks. Steiner BSB isn't very fancy or anything especially in the realm of USBs and the ability buffs right around the corner, but I was thinking/hoping maybe the extra hits against weakness may make it a bit more competitive. Especially because it's good 'ol Rusty and I'm glad to have something neat for him. His LD looks really solid as well.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Umaro BSB is actually deceptively rad because the C2 lets him feed instantcast to people repeatedly. Creative use can result in some shenanigans.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Dollar pulled my 3rd Raijin's Pauldron.

I mean sure okay I won't complain about an 8* +Lightning light armor.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Minfilia is a really solid Support Knight. Her BSB is probably the weakest of her tools compared to her huge... buffs, but it's still a solid workhorse burst that gives you a hybrid of a bit of damage and some breakdown action.

As for cool RMs... Noctis' Level 99 RM is cool for stuff you auto through since it turns Attack into an instant high damage ability with no SB gain. That's the most unique one off the top of my head.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Mithross posted:

dollar pulled Quistis OSB, and I've already got her BSB. It's time to use poison on everything forever!

Having that combo is real drat good because Quistis can spam Wrath. :getin:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Zidane appreciates this Dash & Slash buff. :getin:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Flare and Flare Strike are definite standouts. While they aren't immediately superstars, we're moving towards an age of endgame fights having omniresists so good non-elemental options will be more and more valuable.

Odin is nifty for the dualbreak but he falls behind other 5* summons enough that he's not worth making and honing just for that utility.

Some Other Standouts:

Meteor was already good for AoE fights and is even better to have around now.

Barrage is is also competitive with Full Charge now, it's still less potency but it doesn't require either a long casttime or an ability slot for Chainstarter to be useful. It's brought down a bit by being random target though.

Dash & Slash was already good but is even better now with 4 hits, for any wind thieves you got stuff for. This is a big boon for Zidane USB owners.

Holy is the same potency but got changed to 4 hits, making it infinitely less prone to damage capping. Especially good since we're moving towards an era of offensive white mage options.

Ultra Cure is down to the same cast time as other heals, so you aren't healing slower for using it anymore.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

KataraniSword posted:

Flare Strike is mostly hard to find a great user for, since Spellblade's niche has become hitting elemental weakness and Omega Drive is still top of the physical damage mountain. It's rare to find a dedicated Spellblade user whose USB/BSB/Legend Dive doesn't explicitly want a certain element. Celes wants to stick to hitting weakness to build her gauge up, Squall wants his BSB2 commands for raw DPS, Bartz needs elements for his chaser, Orlandeau prefers to stick to Knight/Darkness skills, Cloud likewise wants to stick to Combat (and in turn Omega Drive) for his DPS.

That leaves Reks, Paine, Scott, Steiner, and Delita. Of those, how many people do you know are talking about using Reks, Scott, or Delita? (Well, aside from the people who have Delita as a waifu.) Squall might be a good user if you just have his USB and Legend Dive, but he kind of falls into mediocrity without his BSB2, himself.

Flare Strike will always be "good" and not "great", though thankfully it will never be "godawful" again like it was yesterday.

Reks and Delita are both actually the best candidates for Flare Strike. They both have dives that buff spellblade damage with no preference to any element and they both have identical LMs: Spellblade Damage & Doublecast Spellblade. As far as SBs go, Reks BSB is ATK/DEF 30% + Haste on entry and has a 25% ST Heal attached to the C2. Delita's USB does bonus damage if it hits a weakness but otherwise similarly doesn't limit him to an element. So if you got tools for either of them you have a best case scenario for making the most of Flare Strike.

Hitting an appropriate weakness with an elemental quadstrike will still do better damage but if we're talking omniresist bosses here these two dudes will perform.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I was just looking at giving a Torment my first shot ever. Is wall not necessary or did you have it native? Because I do have Zidane USB and I have been meaning to see what a Cloud USB Steroid will do to it...

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Good god Torment Bahamut's Megaflare hurts like a bitch without a wall. It completely nukes some of my characters.

But Zidane is doing 56k Dash & Slash's with 15~20k Steel Storm chasers with that Cloud USB. :stare:

EDIT: My first Torment cleared! With Mastery! I only had Minwu and Zidane standing at the end but apparently that was enough. Zidane just completely meltifried Bahamut's health.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 29, 2017

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Keeping Adel debuffed is massively important to make the incoming damage reasonable. If you have Vaan BSB this is basically the perfect place for it. Otherwise you just want to get as much damage as you can because if you try to go with turtle tactics you will not win.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It's sort of a weird event for me because I enjoyed the heck out of FFTA but never cared much for FFT. So getting something for Marche or Montblanc would be pretty awesome while anyone else I'd just be kinda meh about.

Although I do have Gaff's SSB and BSB so continuing to have a complete rear end in a top hat knight would be cool I guess.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Despite Desch being Desch, he's got a really awesome BSB. He self-buffs and the C1 cycles quickcast just like Raines. He won't be quite on the same level since he doesn't self buff nearly as much, but for a lightning weak fight he will absolutely do good work.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm looking forward to Hydra, Bismarck, and Golem once I finally clear out my nightmares because Earth, Lightning, and Wind are easily my most stacked elements. I also got a pretty sizable collection of Holy and Dark stuff... but I'm pretty lacking in Fire, Water, and Ice.

Earth:
Maria (BSB)
Dorgann (BSB/SSB, Earth Imperil)
Bartz (BSB2/BSB3)
Ingus (BSB, SSB2)
Ward (BSB)
Tifa (BSB, SSB)

Lightning:
Garnet (BSB1/BSB2/SSB, Lightning Imperil)
Lightning (OSB/SSB2)
Kain (BSB)
Ashe (BSB)

Wind:
Zidane (USB/BSB, Fully Legend Dived, Wind Imperil)
Luneth (BSB)
Fang (BSB1/SSB)
Ricard (BSB)
Cloud (OSB)

Fire:
Locke (BSB/SSB1/SSB2, Imperil Fire)
Steiner (BSB1)
Yda (BSB)
Elena (SSB)
Vincent (SSB, LMR)
Marach (SSB)

Water:
Tidus (BSB1, OSB)
Rikku (BSB, SSB, Imperil Water)
Paine (SSB1, SSB2)
Bartz (BSB2, BSB3)

Ice:
Edea (USB, SSB1, SSB2)
Laguna (SSB2, Imperil Ice)
Squall (OSB)
Josef (Unique/SSB)

Holy:
Edward (BSB/SSB, Imperil Holy)
Agrias (OSB/SSB)
Pencil (BSB2/SSB)
WoL (BSB)
Minfilia (USB/BSB/SSB)
Curilla (BSB/SSB)
CoD (BSB)
Honorable Mention: Angeal (SSB)

Dark:
Sephiroth (USB)
Edea (USB/SSB1/SSB2, Imperil Dark)
Rufus (SSB, Imperil Dark)
Gaffgarion (BSB/SSB)
Gabranth (Unique)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Meltdown Nightmare cleared! :toot:

Kaiser Dragon almost tried to pretend to be dangerous but I melted (heh) through him without much issue.

That just leaves 2: Affliction Break and Valigarmanda.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

As it was pointed out to me when I snagged Aria's BSB with BarFire, Liquid Flame actually doesn't really throw much fire at you at all. All of like one of his attacks is actually fire elemental so Instant KO Resist is vastly more valuable.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

rujasu posted:

Shout has always been the main appeal, but I wouldn't say that's exactly true. When he debuted, he was easily the best 5* Support guy available. There weren't many alternatives in general at the time. I believe Tyro, Wakka, Fran, Red XIII, and Sazh were the main options. None did much damage, and other than Tyro nobody had much in the way of weapon selections. Ramza also showed up with Tailwind and Hail of Stones which were ahead of the curve at the time, so Shout wasn't even the only good SB you could get for him.

You forgot a few:

Faris was incredibly solid from the start. She had good SBs, a great weapon pool, and some great ability coverage outside of Support.
Gordon was... well Gordon. But he did have a decent ATK/MAG Breakdown SB for a few weeks before Ramza released.
Irvine was kind of a bad joke as a character but he was still a 5* Support.
Quina was similarly not a great character back then but they were an option.
Barret was around but was pretty garbage. Sadly, he's still garbage.
Setzer wasn't the powerhouse he is now but hey he was there.

Your point still mostly stands that Ramza was way more solid a character than most of those peeps when he came out but there wasn't a shortage of options at any rate. And these days most all of those characters have gotten really good relics to bring them up to his level.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

You can't hoard stamina potions anyways, since you have a hard cap of 5 at a time. So don't feel like you gotta use them unless you actually have a reason to.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Garnet BSB2. +lit staff. Party atk/mag +30, aoe imperil lit. This a hybrid heal/dps SB of the "toggle" type. CMD1 is a 40% max hp party heal that activates the toggle. CMD 2 is 4 hit ST Lit/NE. With toggle on CMD 1 adds a a 2xAoE hit but removes the toggle and heals a bit less. CMD2 gains a fifth hit under toggle (using CMD 2 does not "untoggle").

It's a bit weird to describe.

The entry is fine because it buffs and CMD1 is fine as a party bonus heal. CMD2 is good since she has trouble with hones as. Using CMD2 is slightly worse than using Chain Thundaga (which is kind of a moot comparison since she can't use it but to give you an idea).

This is not the worst but finding a use for it can be challenging. And yeah it doesn't do any damage on entry despite imperiling.

Just to clarify here a bit on the numbers:

CMD1:
Off: 40% Max HP Heal to One Ally, Summon Mode On
On: 2x Lightning/Non AoE Hits + Party 30% Medica

Garnet's BSB2 isn't the best raw damage tool but the tradeoff is a lot of utility between the Imperil & Buffs on entry and the emergency oh poo poo healing on the CMD1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The golden rule I go by is to pull for your favorites. Do I need more IX synergy? No I'm stacked to all hell. Am I gonna pull for Marcus in the upcoming IX event anyways? Hell loving yeah.

• Locked thread