Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Hawkeye posted:

Got 2 dupe chaos rods, a legend materia bracer for Tidus (I can't see using it over his other 2 LM, but the bracer is good stats), and a USB for Paine.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure EnElement LMs are some of the best LMs in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Hawkeye posted:

Is it? It just seems redundant when after a few turns max he's doing a USB or BSB that gives him EnElement. If it works better than his +increase water damage LM then by all means I'll be pretty happy.

I'm not at high-end play yet, but I think it's because of the current speed meta. You can immediately use abilities like Thundering Twinstrike and get a straight-up 1.5x to them and also have that 1.5x translate to your opening SB.

Without EnElement, your first SB always hits like piss (source: have casted SBs without Enelement) and using abilities is pretty bad.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Enelements actually increase SB damage by 80%, not 50%.

holy poo poo

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Amarant, Ursula, Dorgann BSBs. I needed more Earth representation so that's...not bad?

Did 2x pulls on FFX as well and ended up with

Rikku BSB
Paine SSBx2, BSB
Yuna SSB

which I guess fills a hole in my "just got Tidus USB for water" gap?

s...sometimes pull???

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

They cover more elements at least? :shrug:

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Having gotten Steiner's BSB1 from my Black Friday lucky I decided to look at the potencies and stuff in comparison to spellblades.

Assuming you're hitting something fire weak/imperiled you get 5 hits from the Burst C1 at 260 total potency while Blazing Twinstrike (after the skill buffs) is 4 hits for a total of 320 potency. Is the extra hit worth the hit in potency to make it more useful over Blazing Twinstrike? I know in a lot of cases more hits is preferred for damage cap scenarios but I don't know how much that will come up with a burst command doing 52 potency per hit.

I think every question like this has the same answer: "are you capping the fewer-hit ability? If so, more hits is better. If not, then no."

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So basically experiment with 'em a bit and see what sticks. Steiner BSB isn't very fancy or anything especially in the realm of USBs and the ability buffs right around the corner, but I was thinking/hoping maybe the extra hits against weakness may make it a bit more competitive. Especially because it's good 'ol Rusty and I'm glad to have something neat for him. His LD looks really solid as well.

Yeah, I feel the same way about a bunch of people I have. Their stuff just doesn't quite cut it when 5* abilities and better BSBs are around.

I love Terra but her BSB1 is garbage for instance and that's all I have for her :(

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Well isn't this just the coolest thing in the world!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

With the ability revamp/dungeon update/mote dungeon news clogging up all discussion, everyone's forgetting the best potential change:

When the hell are we getting the revamped Dr. Mog Boss Stats page?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

I want to say that first rolled out with the next FFXIV event? So two or three months out, still.

drat, I was really excited for this to come sooner!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

How the hell do you play JP anyway?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Shoenin posted:

Man Ive been gone for awhile, looking at those JP updates

When the hell did they make a girl clone of Tyro?

thats urara-chan, the game's new waifu

KataraniSword posted:

tl;dr: Either download an APK (if you're using an emulator/android) or make yourself a Japanese iTunes account. The reddit has a pretty solid guide for it here.

Awesome, thanks!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

:supaburn: :goshawk: ABILITY UPDATE IN TWO HOURS :goshawk: :supaburn:

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

manufacted methicite lol

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

realpost: how useful is Barrage now against single targets? Is it going to dethrone anything?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

recently came back to the game after about a 6 month break, is there good stuff on that XV banner that makes it worth a pull? or should i be holding on for that ffta banner + whatever december fest?

The FFTA banner is superior in every conceivable way.

e: I guess you could luck out and get Iris BSB/LMR if you need a healer or something, but still.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 29, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Hogama posted:

Barrage is 4 hits at full 1x damage.

Comparative skills: 6* Northern Cross is the same potency. Flare Strike is the same potency (though over 5 hits, so a higher damage cap). It's slightly stronger than most of the physical 5* elemental skills (though the Darkness skills are as strong or stronger, with their own drawbacks). Full Charge is still stronger but contingent on having a way to cast it faster to keep a higher average. Dragoon Jump is the strongest potency 5* NE ability at 4 x 1.23x, with Jump time.

So Barrage doesn't dethrone anything but it's perfectly good non-elemental damage. It is random target, though.

I guess I could slap it on Noctis and have an Omega Drive-lite option, so thanks for the numbers!

Brother Entropy posted:

the idiot part of my brain that doesn't understand delayed gratification: "but i wanna pull nooooowwwwwwwww"

two days, you can do ittttttt <3

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

A question for you math nerds out there:

My best dagger is 125 ATK and my best sword is almost double at 224 ATK. When using Dash and Slash, should I use my dagger, or would the sword still be better?

What power of a dagger would I need to equal/surpass the sword?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I've only had experience with one fest, but these FFTA/FFT/FFIII banners literally seem fest-or-better quality.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

what rabbit hole did I just fall into :froggonk:

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Oh uh I guess entrusting Lightning to spam her USB really loving owns, who knew

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So I unlocked magicites 26 hours ago and I'm currently 4/6 complete. This is a ton of fun and I'm loving this poo poo.

Wanted to brag about my Fenrir run because it was easily the sketchiest:

Lineup:

OK - BSB - Entrust duty
Raines - BSB - wrath/MM
Iris - SSB/BSB/LMR
Matoya - BSB - R2 C.Blizz/Protect
Rinoa - BSB - R3 C.Blizz/Icicle Shot (lol)

First attempt, Raines doing 4x1k damage, Matoya bsb entering for 10x2k and cmd1 for 4x3k, Rinoa entry for 8x4k, cmd1 4x5k.

While enIced, Rinoa hit three CBs for 4x7k, but mostly I was doing very questionable damage. Only reason I won was because of entrusted Rinoa BSB spam at the end.

Just goes to show not to ignore garbo relics if you really need a specific element!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

YES my #1 pick!

Uh, now I have no idea if I should do more pulls or just wait.

Pull now:
- I value Agrias much more than Alma.
- better percentages on 12 items than 14
- I want to

Pull later:
- can just do like 6 pulls on Orlandeau lol
- Orlandeau
- identical ramza/marche list

help goons~

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 1, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Stopgap posted:

I picked up what I wanted from Tactics (Agrias USB/LMR, Ramza BSB2/LMR)and still had a pull worth of mythril left, so I drunkpulled on the FFX banner and got Tidus USBx2, Tidus BSB2, and Tidus LMR. This is a pretty significant upgrade from my previous Tidus (SB and nothing else). I feel like it maybe justifies legend diving Tidus now? It sounds like people have done some damage with a legend dived Tidus USB and a decently honed Sapphire Shot.

That is absolutely dive-worthy and also I hate you

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

hey thanks ability buffs!

Also ended up doing my first dive to beat Adel. LD Lightning really lays a beatdown!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I have some time today, so I could whip up a new OP if you guys would like!

I'd need good ideas for titles though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

New thread up everyone! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842508

Winning title from Discord, but I can't remember who called it.

• Locked thread