Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

A ton of the early game events can basically be stomped over now by RWing a BSB. Summon it, AOE down all the trash, then stomp the boss. So you can easily get by with much lower hones.

Which is good, because some of the early stages are just awful compared to current content.

I'd also like to contest Tip 3 for New Players:

quote:

3. Progress as far into each Event as possible: Generally, again, you'll be able to at the very least clear the first "Classic Dungeon" half of each Event off the back of Free 5 star and RW. These will give better rewards then the early Classic Dungeons.

While clearing the Classic half of events is important for recruiting new characters, the early game priorities are mythril (so you can pull and expand your inventory) and stamina (so you can do more dungeons), and the events don't give stamina shards so they're not as important when you're new. The early Classic and Elite dungeons, on the other hand, give you stamina shards in staggeringly large quantities (as many as 5, but usually 2/3 at a time for quite a while) along with mythril and, as mentioned, are incredibly easy given the power of current RWs. I'd recommend finishing the classic half of events (and maybe try the first Elite for an MC or two), then going to realm dungeons and chain-clearing them. Push Classic dungeons until you've cleared all of these dungeons, then go back and start doing the 2/3-shard elites until you're at 4 shards and grab the last shard from the newer dungeons; this way, you push forward in realm progression while getting more mythril and stamina, and the refresh will let you go and immediately do more of the 2/3-shard elites.

Also, as an additional tip, mastery of event stages is generally less important than simply clearing them, as most of the good stuff (MCs, abilities, accessories, motes) are part of the first-time rewards, so if the stages are getting too hard (particularly the bonus battles), you can just ignore the medal conditions and go ham on the boss(es) with your best characters and skills. This is preferable than trying to slog your way through fights you otherwise wouldn't win by chasing mastery. You might even get mastery anyways in some circumstances due to how the rating system works.

Also, I want to chase the SG dragon, but I'm terrified that it's just going to give me a 3rd Platinum Sword. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Garin posted:

I finished every classic and elite dungeon that's available and got Shout from the Keeper's Choice 2. I don't know what else to do with my phone now.

Roll credits, play on hard mode (core characters only).

Alxprit posted:

Event stages don't ever have more than "Don't get KOed" as a mastery condition until you get to Bonus Battles, and people don't have to worry about those for a fairly long amount of time.

Sure, but even then, if you can beat a boss with just one character left standing, that's better than completely ignoring a stage.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Alxprit posted:

Who to break first, Ramza or Bartz...
Who am I kidding. Bartz needs to continue being the killing machine that he is. Also hooray for getting the final set of MC2s just when I'm running out of people to throw into my RM farming party. Monday won't be so pointless after all!

I'm debating between Pecil and Lightning. I think I'll leave it up to whether or not I can get Beatrix's BSB when the FFIX event drops

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Silvergun1000 posted:

So I did a pull each on the Cloud and Keeper banners and wound up with a bunch of good stuff, including a Platinum Sword, Apocalypse, Crystal Cross and Excalibur V. Problem is, I don't have any of the characters that use them? Any idea when I'll have another shot at getting any of them (especially Ramza, since I understand his SB is amazing)?

Use hero souls from the classic half of events to grab characters you don't have as the need arises

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I ended up doing Diamond twice: first time was with my physical A-Team (which barely managed it thanks to the core mechanics), second was with a CM team after reading peoples' experiences:

Suffice to say, the CM team fared far better. Yuffie and Vincent were in charge of pushing DW into its core closing phase, at which point Red XIII took over as the star of the show by pummelling it to death with double-cast black magic. As mentioned by others, it was surprisingly easy.

And I'm mostly out of Growth Eggs now. Vincent and Yuffie ate a lot. :v:

NGDBSS posted:

On the topic of U++ Diamond Weapon, how onerous is it to expose his core? My physical team is probably better equipped, but at the same time eight attacks just to open it up for each of two phases sounds like it'd take a while. (So far as weakness-targeting SBs go, I have Pecil's holy BSB and Papalymo's fire/swiftcast SB.)

It's doable, but annoying, because there's going to be two instances during the fight where you're doing no damage and he's stomping all over you. Meanwhile, your Boostga is going to waste during those 8 attacks, so while a mage party could have gotten him down to 50% or more with 8 attacks, he's still at 70% with your physical team by the time you can deal damage again. And his ST stomps in the 2nd set of 8 are going to kill even your tankiest front-row attacker in a couple of rounds without Wall up, and the 2nd set is around the time where your 2nd Wall is likely to fall off at any moment.

In summary: Cast the magics at him. He falls over easier than you'd think.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 10, 2016

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Grozz Nuy posted:

Does anybody have a Sheepsong or Hope BSB RW set for Diamond Weapon? I thought I had a few Sheepsongs on my following list but I can't seem to find them now, I must have either gotten bumped off their lists or they changed to something else.

tjVU is my Sheepsong. Happy murdering. :P

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beasteh posted:

I have Kuja's gloves and a Wizard Rod. Guess what items I'm guaranteed to pull :negative:

I'm probably going to get a 2nd Excalibur. Yeah, it's Steiner's sword I want, not his co-worker's. :shepface:

Speaking of Steiner, is stacking DEF the only way to make his SSB work? It seems pretty lovely if I just throw a bracer on him, his lifesiphons do more damage than his SSB.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm debating whether I want to skip this lucky draw or not. I already have a fuckload of XIII synergy, I have Plat Sword, and there'll be better III relics in OK's event which is, what, a month or so away?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bilperkins2 posted:

Do we ever get any more of those 5* motes we got from the Five Dooms? Or that's it? If there's more available later I'm more likely to spend them now.

The level 200+ Nightmare dungeons drop job motes.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Decided to pull the trigger. As predicted, ended up with more XIII synergy (2 of Hope's Airwing, Lightning's Guardian Corps uniform) and...Desch's Gauntlets. I'm not at all sure if ATK/DEF +35% is worth losing 50% maxHP. Like, I can picture queuing it up during a U++ or something only for Desch to take a huge hit and then subsequently kill himself afterwards. At least it's III synergy, and I guess it's also a native Boostga.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sprite141 posted:

Quick question, can the breakdowns affect diamond weapon when his core is closed? I really need to buff up aeris and caitsith from level 50, as well as equip fire resist gear, but apart from that I should be ok.

If that isn't good enough, then it looks like I'll be avoiding this cid missiom as well. But it appears that I can easily do enough damage to kill diamond weapon. Maybe I should start leveling dudes past 65...

Nah.

My understanding is that Break(down) effects that aren't the dances have to deal damage to take effect, and since even stuff like Faris' BSB will miss DW, well...

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

U-DO Burger posted:

Holy poo poo Mug Bloodlust is amazing and turns your thief into a DPS machine. I can't wait to hone this sucker

Yeah, I'm overjoyed whenever I can bring it.

Speaking of 6* skills, is it really recommended to use the job motes from 5 Dooms to acquire copies of the 6* skills for shattering? I still have yet to really touch 6* skills since I'm not certain which ones are worth investing in atm (aside from Bloodlust; I want to R2 that ASAP), and honing them to R2 seems out of reach for now. Still, I wouldn't mind having something like Northern Cross kicking around, just in case.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

Or hey, maybe we'll get events based on Spirits Within, Unlimited and Legend of the Crystals. :v:

Isn't one of those just FF5 after Exdeath's been beaten?

In any event, besides FFXV coming out, there's still a half-dozen FFXI expansions to work through, as well as FFXIV. They could even throw FFXIV 1.0 content in there, since that part of the game's history is otherwise lost to time.

IcePhoenix posted:

The REAL real question is when they will fix the glitch of Cloud not having FFT Synergy

It should be that you can have either Balthier or Cloud get synergy in FFT, but not both at the same time.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
11-pull yielded Lightbringer and the comb. Beatrix and Pecil are going to murder so much poo poo together.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone already mentioned it, but Roulette's going to be obnoxious as gently caress this event, isn't it?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Don't forget to get Garnet and Quina's RMs in this event if you don't have em!

Garnet's RM2 dropped immediately for me, and then Luneth's RM3 dropped in the following stage.

I'm thinking I should wait to egg Luneth, get him some exp from Sundaily. Kinda need my eggs for boosting people to 65-70 atm.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Fore purely selfish reasons I wish Faris' BSB was water elemental instead of physical, or at least the ATK/DEF commands were. One of them uses the waterga animation anyway!

I'm actually curious now if breakdown effects get applied if a boss absorbs the element its attached to. I know they don't work if the boss is immune.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tried to do Melti with a CM team. It promptly wrecked me with Bio within seconds of entering its first phase (I was actually kind of shocked at how quickly it managed to get to its third turn), so I just went "lol nope" and crushed it with the A-Team. Spent the twins phase building SB charges and then Pecil and Baetrix just liquified it with their BSBs.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope they pick the FFXIV Halloween music for this year's BGM

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

KnoxZone posted:

So uh, Dena Global is being dissolved. I have no idea what this means for FFRK.

My most hopeful guess is that Square-Enix themselves will take over publishing duties since it's their property and they're already established in the West, while the rest of DeNA's games will be handed off to individual publishers for Western marketing and localization.

IcePhoenix posted:

They should use FF XIV music for everything possible

True, but the Hall of Rites should use this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NBm9uF47U

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AweStriker posted:

Still, there's enough dungeons they're going to skip that there'll be a lot they don't use from it. The Binding Coil for instance is strictly speaking optional but it'd be perfect as an event if for some reason they decide to add Alisaie as a party member.

The Coils could also add Louisoix and Nael. I want to have a U++ Nael fight in FFRK.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to think that the Nightmare Evrae fight is my eternal punishment for all my sins, because no matter how many times I reset, he always fucks me over somehow. Do you think Sisyphus will trade places with me?

Seriously though, I'm not sure how you're supposed to do this fight without Wall and a Hastega. I don't have native Wall so I have to RW it, which means my choices for Haste are Ramza, Edward, Krile, or throwing the spell onto one of the white mages and having them spend 5+ turns buffing everyone instead of contributing damage which, as you can imagine, eats heavily into Wall uptime so it's almost kind of pointless. Meanwhile, Krile is completely useless for this fight due to the target conditions (else I'd just throw Alexander and Maduin on her and watch her wreck poo poo; that'd be ideal too because Heavy Regen would be nice for this fight); Edward can cast Bard Protectga/Shellga and that's literally it, he'd have to just stand there the rest of the time until he could use his SB again.

Which leaves Ramza, who can at least use ninja magic in addition to providing Haste for everyone. It won't last forever like a WHM Haste would since my equipment selection for him means I'm choosing between either MND or MAG rather than both, but I'm reasonably confident he'll have it up again before we ever need to recast, and he gets to contribute some damage to the fight rather than being completely useless, so he wins the Hastega spot through process of elimination.

However, none of this helps me with the fact that all his attacks are AoEs that hurt a fuckton. I guess, for whatever reason, DeNA decided that Nightmare bosses shouldn't have ramp-up time like Ultimates, and should immediately be able to go into using their AoE shitwreckers since, you know, it's fun when players have to reset over and over again just to get a start where they only take 1500 damage to everyone instead of 2.5-3k damage. This is on top of the fact that he can just arbitrarily decide in the middle of one of his turns that he's going to poison himself and get ready to use his Nightmare Poison Breath, so whoever has Esuna spends the entire fight with their thumb up their rear end waiting for the inevitable poisoning, because if you try to, say, cast Diaga on the boss after he uses an attack, he can just go "Hey, I'm poisoned, and you're in the middle of a cast. Enjoy the reset!" so that character doesn't really get to contribute anything until phase 2 once the lens are all shattered, and then goes back to doing nothing but wait in phase 3.

TL;DR Nightmare Evrae is bullshit and I'm salty as gently caress right now. I'd rather go back to the hell that was Kaiser Dragon because at least that RNG-based shitfest is somewhat fair.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to grasp how you're supposed to do enough damage to the Guardian considering it has bonkers defense and resistance and you can't target it with the Wave Cannon afaik.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just had Meltdown doublecast twice on Elite Melusine for ~120k damage total. Absolutely disgusting. Cool animation too.

Also, Evrae can kiss my rear end, not touching him again without native Wall because there's no way I'm going to give Edward White 3 when those motes could potentially be used to turn Alphinaud into a god of destruction.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

djfooboo posted:

The secret to Nightmare Evrae is ninja magic and poison resist accessories for your squishies.

Guess I'm waiting until I can get more than 2 poison resist things then. :/

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

I got Minwu's Staff from the FF2 banner, is there any reason to use it over Selphie's medica with magic blink built in?

It's an instant-cast Medica that's Curaga strength, pretty good when you think you might need a clutch heal to save half the party.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got two copies of a Fang spear and Vaan's SSB that doesn't seem as cool since it's basically Steal Power whereas Fang can at least drop ATK/MAG which is super-useful.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Read on Reddit that the performance issue is fixed in Android 7.1, which is currently in dev preview. But yeah, it's really awful right now. :(

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dollar pull got me an off-banner Genji Helm with a +RES SB

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Do enough Onion Motes drop to unlock all his record spheres, or do I have to be picky? I only see the ones available from the CID missions, and that definitely isn't enough.

The mote dungeon in a couple of days will give some I think.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dorgann banner also brings Faris' Imperil Wind, and that's, what, next week?

Did an 11-pull on the banner, got both of OnionBro's relics and both of Arc's SSBs so, uh, yeah, cool.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Garin posted:

It is done. Red Soul and Ahriman have both tasted my kung fu and now my Onion Knight is a fully dived man.

Was just coming to post the same. OnionBro is fully realized, he just needs 4 more levels to be complete. Only thing I'm missing is his MAG SSB from the 2nd banner, but he's already bonkers enough (and I don't want to spend anymore mythril on this event).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So multiplayer seems like it could be fun, assuming you can get a group that can balance poo poo properly instead of bringing physical AoEs to a fight that lets you sleep a target. Oh, and providing critical buffs like Shout/Haste/Wall/Maria's Song/etc. Oh, and I guess Android's latest update is hosed, so it's iOS or emulator if you really want to enjoy it.

At least they're soloable, I guess. :shrug:

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

So the black Friday lucky draw gave me my third BSB!

...for Jecht. Any abilities that work particularly well with the drunk rear end in a top hat?

I hear Meteor Crush is pretty good.

• Locked thread