Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
hey, yeah, Formula E is happening Saturday! Here's a time table, via http://whenisformulaeon.xyz/ (which has local time conversion if math is hard)

Free Practice 1
8am local / 8am GMT / 3am EST

Free Practice 2
10:30am local / 10:30am GMT / 5:30am EST

Qualifying
12pm local / 12pm GMT / 7am EST

Race
4pm local / 4pm GMT / 11am EST

and here's a virtual lap to get a sense of the course:

https://twitter.com/FIAformulaE/status/795905908991725568

as njsykora noted, it'll be neat to see Formula E on a semi-permanent race track for once. probably less chance of a turn suddenly being modified between qualifying and practice, and less chance of everyone hilariously loving up the same turn in practice :v:

oh, and don't forget bout that fanboost: http://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Surprised at how tight it is for a permanent track. Then again I guess parts of Canada are like that too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

blunt posted:

Surprised at how tight it is for a permanent track. Then again I guess parts of Canada are like that too.

Its a former street circuit that was reworked into a semi-permanent track to encourage local talent. That its kept that tight and difficult street circuit feel is great.

Also, less than a year after saying they have no interest in electric cars Ferrari said in an investor call they're looking at a Formula E entry a few years down the road.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

shakedowns are today, I guess! here's a real lap of the track

https://twitter.com/FIAformulaE/status/797095708373434368

I won't be around tomorrow to watch but I'm looking forward to catching the replay!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
What happened to da Costa during the race? He was defending against di Grassi for a long time, then di Grassi attacked and somehow da Costa's car stopped working?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I enjoyed watching fp1 and fp2, so many spins and offs while the drivers were figuring out the track. Makes me feel better about how badly I drive in PCars free practice rounds

I wish more series would broadcast and commentate thier practices

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Finally got round to watching the race. Renault's strategy is just miles ahead of everyone else even if they don't have a big mechanical advantage like last year. Happy to see Bird in there as well after the Hong Kong disaster.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
It's hardly with bumping the thread for, but the Vegas E-Prix is today/tonight and is probably going to be a hilarious clusterfuck, as its 20 real drivers, 10 sim racers and a half-assed rFactor 2 mod

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/january/track-layout-unveiled-for-visa-vegas-erace/

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
In case anyone else got confused by that article, the "eRace" isn't an actual race. They're playing a videogame in some hotel. I hate the future.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

poty posted:

In case anyone else got confused by that article, the "eRace" isn't an actual race. They're playing a videogame in some hotel. I hate the future.

:spergin::spergin::spergin:IT'S NOT A GAME IT'S A SIMULATOR:spergin::spergin::spergin:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

poty posted:

the "eRace" isn't an actual race.

How dare you

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
ITS HAPPENING

https://www.twitch.tv/eleaguetv

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Got the stream up on my TV. Looks pretty good. The graphics in the sim is pretty bad though.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

gret posted:

Got the stream up on my TV. Looks pretty good. The graphics in the sim is pretty bad though.

The track looks like the shittiest of lovely rFactor 2 mods, its not a good advert for it as a sim. They threw it together in a few days from the looks of it

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Just a couple of guys racing without front wings without seemingly having much of an effect on the cars.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gret posted:

Just a couple of guys racing without front wings without seemingly having much of an effect on the cars.

Well that's happened in FE before, the cars don't have huge downforce. I'm pretty sure someone in season 2 ran most of a race with only half a front wing. Also yes rFactor 2 looks like complete rear end.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
As well as Fanboost there should be an option to DDOS a driver you dont like

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

njsykora posted:

Also yes rFactor 2 looks like complete rear end.

If you have a garbage PC and download garbage mods, it does.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

If you have a garbage PC and download garbage mods, it does.

I have a good PC and stock content and it looks like rear end. Also finding it hilarious that Mitch Evans and JM Lopez are in the top 5.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
and to think all these pros are in the last chance qualifier to run with the pasty white nerds who already qualified

Also LOL who the gently caress put up $1m for this

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LOL da Costa throwing shade at the sim racing nerds asking if they could all go out for a run before the race.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
10,700 viewers on Twitch

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

That's $100 a viewer!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

People are saying Pahkala's fanboost bugged out and he had it for the entire post pitstop section, which would explain how he went from 3rd to a 9 second lead in one pitstop and was lapping a second faster than everyone else suddenly.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I still cant believe the winner gets 200k for a buggy as hell 20 lap online race

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

People are saying Pahkala's fanboost bugged out and he had it for the entire post pitstop section, which would explain how he went from 3rd to a 9 second lead in one pitstop and was lapping a second faster than everyone else suddenly.

Yeah, something weird there for sure. Bono looks super sad, worst podium presence since Nico Rosberg.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I'm sure it'll be quietly swept under the rug

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Xpost from the Misc. thread.

Formula E Sim Racing Season 1 = Formula E Actual Racing Season 1

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CactusWeasle posted:

I'm sure it'll be quietly swept under the rug

Oh yeah, the tech on the simulators was a poo poo-show: TV's for displays, no multiple feeds for the 'cameras', no master control over application settings, etc. Pointing that out will make the sponsors have a sad, so it won't happen. Not a good way to try to build a new event.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
https://twitter.com/TheChazmR/status/817907929470930949

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the only way the vegas eRace could be more Formula E would be if it somehow counted for actual championship points

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sounds like they've fixed it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/eRacingNews/status/817907419506470912

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
This has all been more entertaining than it had any right to be :allears:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would question penalising a driver for a technical issue they likely had no control over but it seems like a fitting way to end this.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I guess penalize isn't exactly the right word. They're just correcting for the unfair advantage he gained due to a technical glitch.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Well, they've definitely got F1 style officiating down pat. Keep chasing those dreams, Formula E people.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
2018-2019 spec chassis concept is out and it looks straight out of a sci-fi novel:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/next-gen-formula-e-concept-car/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looks bad

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

abraham linksys posted:

the only way the vegas eRace could be more Formula E would be if it somehow counted for actual championship points

I kinda just assumed it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

No, it looks cool. It looks funky. It looks like the future we were promised 30 years ago.

You know, I can't wrap my head around the double-think a lot of people have towards Formula E cars and other recent "out there" cars, like the Delta Wing. On the one hand, they complain that new and funky cars like this are ugly, but on the other hand long for the old days where people regularly created new and funky cars that were ugly.

Take off the nostalgia glasses, maybe?

• Locked thread