Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

computer parts posted:

The third party candidates (that are likely on your ballot) aren't any better though.

Yeah, I was going to ask, which third party candidate are you going to vote for, Mrs "I do this for attention and am willing to accept the views of every anti-science nutso in this country" Stein, or Gary "I will usher in Mad Max as a future" Johnson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Chilichimp posted:

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz resigned out of the shame of running an untarnished party primary.

Party establishment showing support for the person who has been a member of their party over the guy who had run independent for his entire career = rigged primary.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Call Me Charlie posted:

You're honestly delusional. The party that just primaried out Alan Grayson for Patrick Murphy and chose Hillary Clinton to be the third term of Obama hasn't shifted left. There's no chance of single-payer. Remember that Obama pulled public option off the table in July 2009 for $155 billion in payment reductions over ten years from hospitals and lied about it for months afterwards.

Third way democrats will never ever pass universal health care. Doesn't matter how many of them are in office. Their corporate owners won't allow it.

Lets have a quick history lesson!

It is 2009. Obama has just been sworn in during one of the biggest economic recessions this country has ever seen, the worse since the great depression. The democrats have control of the house, but they only have exactly 60 seats in the senate, the exact amount needed to achieve the supermajority required to get past a GOP filibuster. There were 2 problems: Several of the members of congress were conservative "blue dogs" who wouldn't vote for any truly progressive policies(such as single payer!). The second problem was that 2 democratic senators were in the process of dying, including Ted Kennedy, a long time proponent of healthcare reform. The democrats had very little time in which to pass anything, and in addition to healthcare reform they also needed to pass the actually much more important bills that would help the economy start to recover. In the end the number of sitting days during 2009 that the democrats could override a filibuster could be counted on both hands with fingers to spare. Then in August 2009, a mere 7-8 months after Obama was sworn into office, Ted Kennedy passed away, and the GOP governor of Massachusetts appointed a republican as his replacement, ending the Democratic supermajority and ensuring gridlock for the rest of Obama's term.

Obama didn't have the time to dick around with trying to convince the blue dogs to support a bill that included single payer or a public option. You say that Obama pulled the public option off in July. I'd say that is pretty drat good timing, because a month later Ted Kennedy died and nothing could have been passed.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

JFairfax posted:

I get thousands of spam emails, deleting 33k personal And spam sounds resonable

Ah, but you aren't Satan incarnate, capable of fixing elections with a wave of your hand, murderer of millions, including personally killing the 4 at Benghazi. You don't run a vast multinational criminal organization that pretends to be a charity organization and has even fooled all those dumb charity grading sites. Those 33k emails were discussions of the best way to cook aborted babies for dinner.

• Locked thread