Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

The "90% of the time" thing is meaningless as both candidates differed in how far they wanted to take things. For example I'm sure both Sanders and Hillary would vote for a bill that would raise the taxes on the rich by 2%. However, given the opportunity to chose where they would like the tax rate to be at, the two candidates would end at different points of where they'd feel comfortable. To add to that, Hillary's platform has shifted since prior the primaries. Her new college plan covers just about everyone except the rich, she went against TPP just before the first debate when Sanders was already making a lot of noise, she took a historic high wage for a national minimum wage while still a $15 wage on a much larger scale than before. There are a few other things as well that are different now than from her platform pre-primary.

There will be no bills that do anything progressives want until the legislature turns blue, which won't be until the next district redraw thanks to gerrymandering. We may get some Supreme Court conformations, if we're lucky.

The problem with anyone wanting to pass anything resembling a progressive agenda, at this point, and being dissatisfied with Clinton, is that such a person clearly has no clue as to what's been going on with government for the past eight years and is just focused on the presidency, since they think the office of the presidency is king, which is just how the media and the owners like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's really hard to believe this when we had a blue congress, senate, and presidency and got Obamacare.

The idea that all democrats are actually progressives and are just in some sort of 10th dimensional chess with the GOP seems kind of absurd on its face.

Why is it so bad to admit that the Democratic party is a centrist party(not saying it always has been or always will be, but it is now). The party itself actively fought against having a progressive nominated for the presidency.

I tend to agree with you that we're not going to get progressive policy until the legislature is progressive, but I don't think "blue" has anything to do with it.

I'm more or less an "undecided voter" in the sense that there is no way in hell I am voting for Trump but I might be able to stomach voting for Hillary if she could stop talking about escalating world conflicts, increasing data collection, or blaming Russia for anything bad that happens to her campaign.

The democratic party is a centrist party; their goal has typically been to poach moderates from the GOP - the whole third-way, triangulation stuff.

What I meant in my post was that there definitely won't be a progressive agenda passed with the GOP in control of congress, while some progressive items may see the light of day if congress was blue.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

I agree for the most part. The primaries really were pointless. That said, gerrymandering is NOT the main culprit, but the lack of proportional voting for the House is. I can go into more detail when I get off work if you would like me to.

I've also seen that said a few times. Proportional representation would make a big difference.

• Locked thread