Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Never done empyrion multiplayer before but I applied to GSP as Ambaire. I'd log into the CTS mumble but I'm having a cert issue; asked for a reset in the relevant thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
use discord instead obv

Is the game cool and good and not PvP-laggy in 4.0?

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
We have 5 guys right now, we just need someone to come in and instant spawn a CV to get us off earth.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

goninzo posted:

We have 5 guys right now, we just need someone to come in and instant spawn a CV to get us off earth.

We're stuck at work - I expect Xanif to be on in like 1h

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

FileNotFound posted:

We're stuck at work - I expect Xanif to be on in like 1h

Rgr, we are now Goonswarm Traders to get poo poo out. We plan to switch.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Okay, significant changes:

- We are now on the pirate planet.
- We are now Little Bits Pirates [LBP]
- We are not sure where you should start just yet. It is literally 200 crystals to fly to earth and back. But I guess earth if you're willing to wait and want to build up, and one of the pvp planets if you're okay dying a lot.

goninzo fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 21, 2016

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

So we are going to have to move our CV off the Pirate planet tonight.

Our current tax on all the stuff we dumped there would be 6 MILLION due to us having no rep.

I'll work on building a cheap base setup in homeworlds system tonight

Rep gain has been adjusted to 7RP per faction memeber if no assets in PvE - so I assume that means that come Monday wipe our RP will start skyrocketing assuming we move off of PvE worlds.

The formula for tax is (devices*blocks)/reputation. Reputation cannot drop below 1.

Actual breakdown is below:
code:
Name of Structure	Structure ID	Structure Type	Device Count	Block Count	Tax
apital Vessel (CV)	68563		CV		680		8909	 $6,058,120.00 
Teledildonics		38841		SV		33		195	 $6,435.00 
Bear			38349		SV		39		256	 $9,984.00 
Copperhead		85331		SV		37		295	 $10,915.00 
Beep beep I'm a jeep	98056		CV		97		835	 $80,995.00 
Small Vessel (SV)	85265		SV		25		37	 $925.00 
Little Bytes		38572		SV		34		155	 $5,270.00 
Thomas The Gank Engine	85460		SV		141		1056	 $148,896.00 
Small Vessel (SV)	85264		SV		113		739	 $83,507.00 
LITTLE BITS		29057		SV		30		192	 $5,760.00 
Total										 $6,410,807.00 

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i couldn't make it on lastnight and tonight aint looking good but i should be good to go this weekend, and i don't care if i get rocked in pvp so i guess i'll hop to the pvp planet

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

boy are my arms tired posted:

i couldn't make it on lastnight and tonight aint looking good but i should be good to go this weekend, and i don't care if i get rocked in pvp so i guess i'll hop to the pvp planet

We can have a taxi service going fairly easily once we get better setup, right now we just have 2 CVs and not a whole lot of fuel. In a few days everyone is going to have their own CV and many of us will have more fuel than they know what to do with.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I keep saying Rexx say "structure" and I don't understand if that means CV and Bases.

Honestly I don't think we should have anything on the faction planet anyways as RP is shaping up to be more and more important. 30-40Km deep space CVs tend to be fairly safe anyways and as long as we spread out our materials a bit I don't think we have to worry about losing everything in one go.

Also, this is hilarious https://forum.empyrion-homeworld.net/t/please-help-being-griefed-hard/1407

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

xanif posted:

I keep saying Rexx say "structure" and I don't understand if that means CV and Bases.

Honestly I don't think we should have anything on the faction planet anyways as RP is shaping up to be more and more important. 30-40Km deep space CVs tend to be fairly safe anyways and as long as we spread out our materials a bit I don't think we have to worry about losing everything in one go.

It does.

https://forum.empyrion-homeworld.net/t/lost-2-million-credits-from-dieing-once/1401/7

The current tax is absurd and I hope it's adjusted to be more reasonable as currently it's cripling, and it looks like interest got nerfed to 1%.

Currently the cost of living in PvE is just not worth it - you could buy more materials from NPC traders for the same money than you'd get from the PvE world.

I do expect it to be adjusted as this is the first night of it being implemented and only a handful of factions even made it to faction planets so far.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Really need to build a new general purpose hardened goon CV, since that flying box is a loot pinata atm.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Ambaire posted:

Really need to build a new general purpose hardened goon CV, since that flying box is a loot pinata atm.

I have a few BPs - one is essentially a mothership with ~100 grow pots and plenty of defenses. On top of that I have a BA bp that has 4 missile and 2 flack turrets on it that I'd dump around it. I also am working on a stripped down PvP CV for ganking people in homeworlds.

Problem right now is that I have no iron to build any of them so I expect to spend this weekend mining iron every possible minute as ultimatley I'd like to have 2 base grade CVs in homeworlds.

Also - someone was saying that BA use less fuel - how much less? It it worth it for me to make a BA rather than CV?

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Yeah, that tax system is dumb. Super dumb. oh well. So much for having people join us from Earth.

Also, we have 2 full cargo boxes, 175 each, of travel meth now.

We need a modern CV with hardening and layers. But yeah, let's get this poo poo moved to some place that is good to provides most of the materials we need to run stuff. Gold planet?

I hate this map already though. bleh.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

FileNotFound posted:

Also - someone was saying that BA use less fuel - how much less? It it worth it for me to make a BA rather than CV?

I am not seeing significant savings on fuel on bases. Plus, fuel is easy to get.

What happens if we don't pay taxes, they kill our cores?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
We need to get the goon army and deconstruct the npc station in pirate orbit. It's 90% combat steel...

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
If people are considering hardening existing CV's, I just learned while updating my own BP for 4.0 that in addition to there being the standard "block" that you can put down, there is also small "wall" tiles that you can layer on the outside without taking up too much room.

Of course these walls still count as a full block of space so you can't just layer wall upon wall but it certainly adds quite a bit more hp.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

xanif posted:

If people are considering hardening existing CV's, I just learned while updating my own BP for 4.0 that in addition to there being the standard "block" that you can put down, there is also small "wall" tiles that you can layer on the outside without taking up too much room.

Of course these walls still count as a full block of space so you can't just layer wall upon wall but it certainly adds quite a bit more hp.

Small walls are great because despite the lower profile they offer the same HP - the only problem is that they can only be put down on flat surfaces - so it's pretty hard to build things that are not ugly boxes with it.

Also there is an L shaped block which can be used in hallways, it will allow you to walk through but provide extra protection from 2 sides.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
gently caress these guys, we have to go traders to compete. poo poo sucks. Then we just will pvp as traders, can we do that?

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
We can go traders but then we can only attack Lawless and Pirates, not other traders or alliance or hunter.

Why do you want to go trader?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The problem seems to be that pirates get RP only if they have no structures on a PvE playfield, and their homeworld is also PvE. If the server admins make an exception for structures on a homeworld... which seems to be the logical answer

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I have never had my deep space CVs discovered (any of the 4 of them over the course of 2-3 weeks). I don't see a pressing need to have a PvE presence and staying pirate gives us the ability to freely PvP anyone in the game.

We can go trader if needed but it's going to hamstring our ability to freely PvP.

Server IFF rules: https://forum.empyrion-homeworld.net/t/faction-iff-rules/381

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Ambaire posted:

The problem seems to be that pirates get RP only if they have no structures on a PvE playfield, and their homeworld is also PvE. If the server admins make an exception for structures on a homeworld... which seems to be the logical answer

Doubt they will go for it. Rexxxus basically stated that pirates should really live in PvP and the PvE world is there for them to stash stuff if they have the rep to afford it and want to take a break - the intent of the current rules was to force people out into PvP and to create a more compact PvP zone rather than the original spread of story and fed planets.

As far as going trader - thing with that is that a lot of people are traders - which was good times for us when we were lawless and many are flat out surprised that other people are not traders and are actually totally allowed to kill them.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
My problem is newbies.

We will get a stream of newbies. Who do newbie stuff. like put down cores on pve planets, as we did.

I think we just need to suck it and deal. Then when we get enough poo poo, we flip factions, wreck our rep, and that's it. Or we just have two groups, one for newbies and supplying materials and another for fighting. Which they hate.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

goninzo posted:

My problem is newbies.

We will get a stream of newbies. Who do newbie stuff. like put down cores on pve planets, as we did.

I think we just need to suck it and deal. Then when we get enough poo poo, we flip factions, wreck our rep, and that's it. Or we just have two groups, one for newbies and supplying materials and another for fighting. Which they hate.

'which they hate'? Two factions doesn't sound that bad. So yeah, let's try to get off the planet today and just make a deep safe base.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Switching allegiances for an existing faction, while simple, completely wipes out RP so I think we should keep the main faction pirate for now and start earning RP.

For any newbies that join, they can make their own faction and make it trader, or alliance, or whatever they want to start. Once they're off the PvE world we can invite them to our faction. I have no issues with missing out on RP for a week while we wait for their starter base on Earth to be wiped, but I really want to hop into PvP immediately (read: I'm going to homeworld tonight to pick fights).

On the other hand, there is precedent established for distinct goon guilds in space games under the banner of an alliance. PvE goons could be in a trader faction with PvP goons in the pirate faction with the mutual understanding that we won't attack each other. But tonight I'm going to murder someone (or more likely get murdered).

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

goninzo posted:

My problem is newbies.

Who cares though? Let them core PvE planets all day - as I understand tax is just for faction worlds. So as long as we don't stash/build there anymore who cares.

Oh and it seems that autominers don't count so keep dumping those.

We could setup a base in Pirate orbit, and use that to live out of, resource farm on the faction planet as needed but actually live out in PvP space.

Or we could just move that fat CV into the current PvE rotation systems and just move it with the rotation.

I don't really expect us to get REP - it's only needed for building on permanent PvE worlds and until tax is reduced at least x100 it's not really worth it.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Tax formula is being reworked:
https://forum.empyrion-homeworld.net/t/hws-4-0-after-patch/1403/27

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Right now the debate is dropping it to 64k/(2*rp). so we're still hosed.

Hopefully, one of you guys can theory craft a solution here.

I think we can move to pirating in Catogar to catch people moving.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

goninzo posted:

I think we can move to pirating in Catogar to catch people moving.

If I can get away from mining all the iron I need - I want to go hang out in Trader orbit with a cheap combat CV and gank people.

As far as the tax issue - I think the best choice for now is to either abandon PvE or to move a CV with the PvE rotation. Regardless I will be working on setting up a place to live in Homeworlds system

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
I was thinking about this, even if we take someone's CV, dismantling it will take forever to get the iron we need, because it takes 20 shots from the t2 multitool to get 10 iron plates, aka what 2 iron?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

goninzo posted:

I was thinking about this, even if we take someone's CV, dismantling it will take forever to get the iron we need, because it takes 20 shots from the t2 multitool to get 10 iron plates, aka what 2 iron?

I have no intention of dismantling other people's CVs. That's a lot of effort.

I just loot their constructors and crates. That's where the juicy stuff is. Right now though nobody will have much iron so we'll have to mine for it the old fashioned way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The best part about having a ready-made CV isn't disassembling it, it's having a ready made CV that you didn't build. Even if it's a massive fixer upper it's still a potential deep space base.

Been busy the past few days, just got a job but I'll be looking to pop onto the homeworld server tonight to get my feet wet with multiplayer.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

goninzo posted:

Actually it's quite a bit more. 1 combat steel block costs 11 iron, 4 sathium and 1 cobalt to make.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
I started on HWS at the reset. I've just been hanging out on earth learning the ropes and building some stuff. I'll join up with you guys soon but where is the easiest source of Zascosium and Erestrum?

Also, has anyone refactored any PvP ships to fit within the new turret rules?

Numinous fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 22, 2016

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Numinous posted:

I started on HWS at the reset. I've just been hanging out on earth learning the ropes and building some stuff. I'll join up with you guys soon but where is the easiest source of Zascosium and Erestrum?

Get lucky and kill a drone in space? Which they might have already killed them already. Or just get some cash and have one of us send you some. It is hard on over populated servers like that.

We can come pick you up at some point too. We are moving on Monday at this point. So mine all the iron you can in the meantime, safely.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Empyrion Online is $10 this weekend on Steam. Buy it. come play with nerds. Talk to us on the Camping the Stairs mumble if you doubt me.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Looks like we're leaving earlier than we expected. Taxes are now live:

https://forum.empyrion-homeworld.net/t/faction-planet-taxes-now-active/1446

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Downloading this because Kismeteer said I should. Doing actually useful work is way overrated, so this might be my weekend.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

xanif posted:

Looks like we're leaving earlier than we expected. Taxes are now live:

https://forum.empyrion-homeworld.net/t/faction-planet-taxes-now-active/1446

Do you volunteer to move the materials from the whale to Goonropa?

• Locked thread