Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The Last Federation was a weird mashup- a turn-based shmup. I think Chris kinda got obsessed with shmups and wanted to make more after TLF and that's what resulted in Starward Rogue, though I don't think anyone was particularly looking for that game.

The game that got sidelined for Starward Rogue(Stars Beyond Reach) could've been really interesting but it still had a long way to go and I think Chris knew it and decided to shelve it.

The cool thing about Stars Beyond Reach is that I always wanted a civ game that just played entirely with the tiles on the map instead of having separated out cities with their own management screen but Chris has a bunch of city-builder type stuff in it.

I do think AI War 2 is kind of his 'welp, i'm out of money now' game, though the improvements seem good(especially the removal of the builders/mines/science lab micro).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, i'm kinda hoping that a less ambitious and swervy game ends up working better, and having read the design doc there does seem to be a lot of definite improvements over AI War 1.

• Locked thread