Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I love Arcen almost unconditionally, and I hope this game gets done right. They've had a lotta swings and misses, and it's "ok, fine, we'll (I'll) make an AI War sequel now," which feels like it could go either way. Even a solid, well-made game isn't a moneymaker these days, so I imagine there's a lot of pressure to make something spectacular.

Welp, time to back my first Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The one good thing that mighta come out of Release Raptor is that Chris Park got himself familiar with Unity and developing a 3D game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Samopsa posted:

They just pushed a patch to AI war 1 with some very minor fixes, but mainly to advertise this kickstarted. I really hope Arcen gets some love right now, they deserve it!

Looks like I better drag my butt up and make a Kickstarter account. I was really hoping not to ever have to make one.

quote:

Fixed several bugs, some going back to the very beginning of the mechanic, where Exogalactic Strikeforces were not aggressive enough about spending their whole budget. Especially when the set of eligible ships is heavily restricted (e.g. the guardian-only or starship-only AIs).
Thanks to Mal for reporting.

Fixed a null-reference bug in the code for drawing health bars of carriers.
Thanks to Kalzarius for the report and save that finally let us reproduce this.

Added some protective code to avoid index-out-of-bounds errors on the Achievements window.
Thanks to Hedrik for reporting.

Fixed various misuses of "It's" and other typos in the loca files.
Thanks to Aeson, Toll, Blue_Lotus, tadrinth, and pumpkin for reporting.

Updated the Arcen Games logo used by the game to be the modern one that we've used for the last few years.

Updated the main menu of the game to have a graphical button that opens a window that tells you about the AI War II kickstarter, and which then has the option to click a button and find out more about the project if you're willing/interested.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcengames/ai-war-ii/

Was kinda hoping for a more substantial set of fixes for AIW, but all things considered they should probably focus on AIWII, Kickstarter or no Kickstarter.

Man, if AI War II is a flop as a game or as a financial success, it's gonna break my heart. It's been better said in this thread, the indie market is not what it was when AI War first came out.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/chris-park-and-arcen-games

quote:

October 20, 2016 This week, Michael and Troy "Benevolent Dictator for Life" Goodfellow welcome Chris Park of Arcen Games back to the show. Arcen has recently posted their Kickstarter for AI War 2, followup to the original cult hit from 2009. Featuring asymmetric gameplay and unique strategy, AI War: Fleet Command was the first game to highlight Park's unique vision for gaming. Chris talks about the challenges Arcen has faced, the evolving game market, and what it means to make games with integrity. Also, be sure to stick around after the show for some brief announcements from the gang.

AI War 2, AI War: Fleet Command, A Valley Without Wind, Shattered Haven, In Case of Emergency, Release Raptor, Stars Beyond Reach

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/idlethumbs/episode-372-chris-park-and-arcen-games

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Back in the pre 4.0 days I did some co-op with a random person, and I just felt like I was letting them down for about 3 hours. Fortunately the single player has always been pretty engrossing, if thoroughly intimidating for a pretty long early period.

• Locked thread