Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
Arcen is the games studio I love to hate, everything they make is so weirdly horrible...

AI War is considered their best game, and I think it is a fun game, but it's dominated by some really questionable design choices like how the AI mostly interacts with you by sending waves of troops like in a tower defense that always go in a straight line towards your home base. Reading through this thread This AI is Awesome might make you think that the AI is the best in any game ever, but in reality the challenge of the game comes from the fact that the computer player just has many more units than you and when it decides to attack it does so by going in a straight line towards your buildings, not trying to avoid your mines or turrets at all. It also takes over 4 hours of real-time to build a fighting force that has any chance of making progress against the AI. The graphics are nice and clean pixel art, but just look at the menus, they are a total mess. The person that designed this game is totally out of control and should consider taking a graphic design course.

A Valley without Wind has some of the worst graphics I've ever seen in any video game and the gameplay is somehow even worse... All you do is wander around hideous randomly generated dungeons and upgrade your projectile weapons with no goal or end in sight. It seems like they wanted to make Terraria but just totally failed on every level.

They wasted all of their money making 'Starward Rogue', which is kind of like Binding of Isaac but uglier and extremely complex. I have no idea why they thought they were going to make any money off of this, it's seriously worse than those flash games on Newgrounds.

Their new game, 'In Case of Emergency, Release Raptor!' is some kind of cynical cash-in clone of Goat Simulator for Youtubers to make funny faces at, but I don't think it's going to work.

The thing that most of their games have in common is being overdesigned with too many broken/pointless features and randomly generated ugliness. I'm fascinated by everything they do, but at this point I'm not sure if I'd rather see them succeed or create another even more broken failure than what they've already made.

Quellar fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread