Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The 12th (13th maybe, forget if that counts the intro) game of Seafall shall be our list.
That's kind of sad to get so close to the end before giving up, but if it's not fun anymore, it's obviously perfectly reasonable. I feel like the bad reviews and impracticality of finding a group willing to play anything short of amazing that consistently means that I'll never play it, but I'm still reluctant to read spoilers just in case.

How do you feel about the experience as a whole? You earlier said it was like a boring roller coaster that got better as it went on, but I guess obviously the momentum wasn't enough to keep you going. Value aside, do you regret the time you spent playing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Anyway, short answer I'm glad we played despite it not ending well. I listed a few things I'd change, and I'd add one more big one that a friend mentioned - as opposed to the game ending when a player reaches a VP threshold, they should've made it last a set number of turns, so players can plan to accomplish things that have a lasting effect instead of racing to get VPs and possibly not affecting anything permanently and progressing the game. It'd also prevent the case of a player setting a lot of stuff up and then seeing the game end before they can do what they were working toward.

It's really too bad this game wasn't quite up to par mechanically, because it seems like something that might have been really good with a second edition. If it was just a flat out bad game that was uninteresting, it wouldn't feel as much like wasted potential, but it's frustrating when even the negative reviews have a big 'but it's so cool when you find out what all the hidden stuff is!' caveat.

By the way, the game's half off on CSI if anyone's still interested in buying it. I wish I could justify it, but I feel pretty confident it wouldn't be played.

• Locked thread