Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I just watched this film for the first time and it was clear to me about halfway through that Twinkie doesn’t actually exist.

My first clue is how out of place he is: an inner-city style thuggish stereotype who hustles goods, wears braids/do rags, and American sports attire, attending a Tokyo highschool. It immediately raised a lot of questions; how did he get there? Why is he like this? Who are his parents? Where is all his money coming from?? How long has he been in Japan? He obviously wasn’t an exchange student, he’s far too well established among the racing crowd and as a mechanic to have only been there for a few months. And he couldn’t have gotten there on his own, he’s a minor. The rest of the movie I waited for some back story or explanation of who Twink was, after all it came for all the other characters (including Neela who was an even less important character) so why not him?

In addition, I noticed that none of the information Twink gives Sean is anything he necessarily wouldn’t have heard elsewhere, and none of the actions Twink takes couldn’t have been done by Sean and simply imagined to have come from another person.

When that never came, I assumed I had just missed something, so I went to check out the Fast and Furious wiki page only to find this:

Nothing. His life begins when he meets Sean.

After seeing this I thought back to the movie I had just watched; did he ever really interact with anyone other than Sean? No, in fact hardly anyone (other than Sean) acknowledges anything he does or says, and the few times he has physical interaction with other characters its either them brushing past him without reacting or him in the same place doing the same thing as Sean. Furthermore the way he has his hair and the do rag he wears would not be allowed by their school dress code; which we see enforced on Sean by a teacher but never on Twinkie.

Twinkie being imaginary has fewer holes in it than Tyler Durden being imaginary.

My theory is that Twinkie is an imaginary friend created by Sean to help him cope with the culture shock of moving to Japan. He’s an out of place stereotype, a set of familiar essentially American features/clichés Sean dreamed up so he could have a piece of his own life to keep him comfortable. Not only does he fit all of the gangster clichés, he’s also non-threatening and very loyal, as well as occupies a support role rather than a rival role (by not being a driver) so he can be cool and pleasing to Sean without being “scary” or complex like a real human being. Twinkie is idealized.
The name “Twinkie” obviously is not a real name, and the nickname “Twink” reveals something about his character. Twink is gay slang for a young submissive guy, Twinkie is not only Sean’s idealized best friend and anchor to American culture, but his idealized lover. His homosexuality is so repressed his only safe outlet is his imagination.

Update: Foreign military members and their families in Japan are required to have plates with the letter Y, Twinkie's plates dont! Not a military brat! This is because Sean doesn't know about Y plates and so it cant be part of his fantasy!

Explanation for the rooftop fight:

SPACE HOMOS posted:

That is a fantasy developed by the main character as he gives up his ipod. Instead of admitting he is a pushover he dreams of being a hero who intervenes with a fight to become the moral superior by giving his ipod away. In reality he was knocked down like a weak gaijin.

Bismuth fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

drat that's some deep thought put into the fast and the furious Tokyo drift

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
How do we really know OP exists?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Update the wiki man, you're onto something.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

From the moment Twinkie is introduced, everything in the Fast and Furious franchise is imaginary.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Pawn 17 posted:

From the moment Twinkie is introduced, everything in the Fast and Furious franchise is imaginary.

But whose imagination is it? I would assume Sean, given the ending of Fast and Furious

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

do Cranked 2 next

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Bismuth posted:

But whose imagination is it? I would assume Sean, given the ending of Fast and Furious

paul walker

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

u wan gently caress posted:

Truth! This is cutting edge stuff

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
netflix stoned

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
All of Tokyo Drift is a dream sequence that takes place during 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
I worked on the set of Tokyo Drift and I assure you that you have just put more thought into that film than any of the writers.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i haven't even seen this movie but this poo poo is deep as gently caress man like wow

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Sjs00 posted:

netflix stoned

Im sober thanks

u wan gently caress posted:

I dont know how to edit wikis and I'm too lazy to figure it out, someone else should do it

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
he's his aborted half-brother

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Tokyo drift is actually an allegory for circumcision. Twinkie is supposed to represent sean's missing foreskin.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

bossy lady posted:

Tokyo drift is actually an allegory for circumcision. Twinkie is supposed to represent sean's missing foreskin.

Why...why is he black..

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
I post therefore I am.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bismuth posted:

The whole series is all the dying dream of Vin Diesel's character in the first movie, slowly bleeding to death in the wreckage of a car crash that happened while delivering pizza to an LA office park on a rainy night. A combination of "what could have been" and pure fantasy. And then the camera pans out, blurs, and we see all of this has actually occurred in the favorite toy snow globe of an autistic boy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think the black kid in Tokyo Drift doesn't exist because Tokyo Drift is a work of fiction.

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Yeah but was he circumcised? What does the wiki say about that?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

tie-dye my titties posted:

Yeah but was he circumcised? What does the wiki say about that?

I can personally confirm that none of the main characters in Fast and Furious are circumcised except for Letty

Risky
May 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExN76hAiiFI

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

"Whoa" - Keanu Reeves

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Rosebud

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

:eyepop:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
That's actually a pretty compelling theory, for people who have seen fight club.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

paul walker is imaginary because he burned to death in a car

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

paul walker is imaginary because he burned to death in a car

Please, this isnt about him, he wasnt even in this movie

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Bismuth posted:

Please, this isnt about him, he wasnt even in this movie
i know he was imaginary

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i know he was imaginary

Just because someones in hell doesn't mean they're not real

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i believe the whole movie is fiction

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

gary oldmans diary posted:

i believe the whole movie is fiction

So is gary oldman's diary

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

why is tokyo drift so much better than every other fast&furious movie

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Savage For The Winjun posted:

why is tokyo drift so much better than every other fast&furious movie

because the story has nothing to do with the other ones

fast 6 was pretty good, though

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Bismuth posted:

Why...why is he black..

Artistic license

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Bismuth posted:

So is gary oldman's diary
gary oldman's diary is very real its just very private

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ranma Fan Art posted:

drat that's some deep thought put into the fast and the furious Tokyo drift

Yeah I don't see what the OP finds inherently problematic about a black person living in Japan.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

this is the thread ive been waiting my whole life for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

• Locked thread