Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get a lawyer or just suck it up and pay the fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

metallicaeg posted:

But by all means, suggest he pay a lawyer even more than the absurd cost of the ticket itself, or derail the thread with the car "game".

Well isn't the whole point of getting a lawyer for traffic violations so you can reduce the violation and points taken off? Some people don't give a gently caress about the fine, they just don't want points off their license and/or a violation on their record.

Yeah the fines suck but I'd be more upset over points especially if I didn't do anything wrong.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's almost as if the Lawyer is providing a service hmm.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The bullshit in NY effectively pushed us back to FL. We were ready to put cash on a relatively cheap house until we saw the yearly taxes and said gently caress that poo poo. I honestly don't know how people manage to afford to live there, especially as a home owner.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

We moved to Upstate for work and we paid less for our current house than our condo in MA, but our mortgage is a good deal higher because Taxes. I don't get why everyone calls MA Taxachusetts, NYS has them beat by a mile.

School and property taxes for my house run me around 5k a year. One of the houses we were looking at in a different county had them at 9k a year.

And they keep going up every year. The small town my wife is from looks like a ghetto because people are reluctant to paint their houses in fear of an assessment and consequent tax increase. So most of the houses are all grey from not being painted in decades. I can't imagine being retired on a fixed income and struggling to pay property taxes each year, then worrying every time there's an increase whether you can afford it or not.

Insurance costs can be a problem down here, but at least after you pay off your house you can tell insurance companies to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I can't imagine not having insurance on a house though. :stare:

Is a 65+ exemption not a thing outside of TX?

Well down here it's the wind/flood (hurricane) insurance that's crazy. If you own the house you can customize your policy to not include it, or just do like a lot of people do around here and put money the money into an account and build up your own insurance policy.

If a major hurricane hits FL and completely destroys multiple cities chances are insurance isn't gonna pay out anyway so why bother giving them the money unless you have to.

• Locked thread