Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

DVOA. The Jets dumpster fire is bested only by the Texans and Browns.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2016/week-5-dvoa-ratings

Not that it matters and I get it's just part of the template they use but I really wish this smug rear end thing wasn't there every damned week. At least take the bolding off.

quote:

To save people some time, please use the following format for all complaints:

<team> is clearly ranked <too high/too low> because <reason unrelated to DVOA>. <subjective ranking system> is way better than this. <unrelated team-supporting or -denigrating comment, preferably with poor spelling and/or chat-acceptable spelling>

I wonder how their estimated wins thing spits out 3.5 for KC after that Pittsburgh game. I can believe the Chiefs are the least consistent team in the league pretty easily though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Wrong colors but they should never have gone away from those.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

I hope the Chargers beat the absolute dogshit out of the Broncos in those dope uniforms

I hope everyone in the world beats the absolute dogshit out of the Broncos even if they have terrible uniforms.

Yes that includes your team. For now at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Those big contracts for QBs aren't really a handicap, pretty much the norm for any team that has recently signed a QB they expect to be the future.

I wonder if this will ever swing back. I don't expect salaries to go down or anything but thinking more in relation to how much other positions make.

Like, do NFL front offices look at a guy like Brock Osweiler causing a bidding war and think "drat this poo poo is crazy, something needs to be reigned in" or do they think "just shows how few QBs there are in the world, better pay our mediocre dude a billion dollars?"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Those guys are all better than Geno Smith or Ryan Lindley and there was a point at which replacing Brady with Cassel got a team 10 wins.

This may have been true of Cassel at one point but has not been true since at least 2012. At least compared to Geno.

Yeah I suppose if you put a gun to my head I'd choose him over Lindley let you shoot me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gynecolojustice posted:

What's Alex Smith's splits in that situation, tell me now

Since he's been with the Chiefs 0 for 0, for 0 yards.

No that isn't a joke.

e: poo poo, nevermind. I'm querying wrong in some fashion since I get no results for short passes either.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ok here we go. 6/8 75% 204 yards 2 TDs 0 INTs.

http://pfref.com/tiny/6N40h

I am not entirely sure if that's actually telling us the correct thing or if 'pass deep' in the query is just based on how the play worked out? Surely there has to be something there or it wouldn't return any incompletions. But if it is correct Alex ought to try that a little more often.

e: I mean that just cannot be correct. There's no way.

ee: I do get the exact same stats for Rodgers that the article did though. Holy poo poo, go deep a little more you loving tiny handed freak.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 13, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Ok here we go. 6/8 75% 204 yards 2 TDs 0 INTs.

http://pfref.com/tiny/6N40h

I am not entirely sure if that's actually telling us the correct thing or if 'pass deep' in the query is just based on how the play worked out? Surely there has to be something there or it wouldn't return any incompletions. But if it is correct Alex ought to try that a little more often.

e: I mean that just cannot be correct. There's no way.

ee: I do get the exact same stats for Rodgers that the article did though. Holy poo poo, go deep a little more you loving tiny handed freak.

My God he was even decent in San Francisco.

8/16 2 TDs 0 INTs

For his career Alex Smith in that situation is 14/24, 58.3%, 437 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs, 18.2 YPA, for a 142.3 passer rating. When set up well and he actually throws the damned thing Alex Smith's deep ball is actually....good? My entire worldview is spinning.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ghost Dog posted:

its not super hard to be efficient when your entire career youve thrown it 24 times

Of course the attempts are super low, I didn't expect him to have good numbers in whatever few attempts he had though. If we expanded that out to all situations instead of super low down and distance I'm sure he's appropriately ugly because man does he miss wide open guys. Oh hell let's do it.

Still better than I expected but at least a little more in line. 223/534 41.7% 33 TD 29 INT.

We should also keep in mind that 'deep' in this situation is only 15 yards in the air. If I had a way to change that to 25 I'd expect the both the attempts and the good numbers to go down.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oral history of the 2006 Bears/Cardinals MNF game, which is an ok read.

Full game on youtube, which I just watched from Hester's return to the end. Joe Theismann compared Matt Leinart to Tom Brady (this actually happened). Also I'd forgotten that Kurt Warner (Kurt Warner!) was benched in favor of Leinart.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Who wants a Tebow update? You, good NFL fans do, of course. From Keith Law:

quote:

Tebow the baseball player is not a baseball player; he’s a washed-up quarterback who has size and nothing else. His swing is long, and he wields the bat like someone who hasn’t played the sport in more than a decade, which he hasn’t. He can’t catch up to 90 mph, which is well below the major league average for a fastball, and was cutting through fastballs in the zone on Wednesday night. He rolled over twice on fastballs, which is something you generally see professional hitters do only on off-speed stuff, and he showed below-average running speed. In left field, his routes look like those of a wide receiver, although he managed to eventually make his way around to a fly ball in left.

In short, there’s absolutely no baseball justification for Tebow to be here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

For the new page since this is almost as dumb as Tebow the baseball player.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pops Mgee posted:

I still love Rodgers, but the more I hear about him the more he sounds like an insufferable douche.
http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/gunslinger-brett-favre-aaron-rodgers-feud-jeff-pearlman-excerpt/

This has nothing to do with anything but I think Pearlman is the guy some goon goatsed over twitter and then Pearlman ended up calling the guy's mom.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ghost Dog posted:

*throws it to wide open reciever* ugh what an inconceivable throw no one can even comprehend the process that went into this jesus christ no one will ever throw another ball as well as that

I'm not a big Aaron Rodgers fan but come on, dude has made some absolutely ridiculous throws over the years. I don't know if it's a no one else could do that thing or not, but he does deserve a lot of credit.

I thought he looked off starting last year and it got glossed over because he had no receivers, this year it just seems a little more obvious.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ghost Dog posted:

good thing i didn't do that?

If you didn't do that I never would have replied to you defending Aaron Rodgers who I don't particularly like.

schweens posted:

Alex smith is good but not a fun good

He's actually sort of bad so far this year and I don't like it. And yeah, bad by Alex Smith standards.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 15, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
drat that sucks. I was actually watching the game where he broke his neck, it's amazing he was able to recover as much as he did.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Finger Prince posted:

Thanks, I think... Now I'm picturing mark sanchez sipping from the end of his cane and responding "pappy van winkle 12!" when asked what he was drinking.
Which is weirder than when I didn't know what those things were.

Evil Knievel had a diamond encrusted cane filled with wild turkey that he carried around for like the last 30 years of his life.

Of course he'd broken every bone in his body like 3 times each so probably actually used the cane, I don't know why Sanchez would need one of those over a flask.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The stranger thing is he kept offering us drinks out of his cane. I don't even know why he was sneaking liquor into a restaurant like a 17 year old in the first place.

Huh, I just stumbled across this article. Sounds like you should have taken him up on the offer.

e: Oh if you were a country club bartender maybe you already knew this. I had no clue.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 16, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

got any sevens posted:

Wait, the reds kicker wanted to boot it through the endzone? They get the ball at the 25 now, better to make them run it back and maybe fumble.

Considering the result of the play following the penalty your logic is suspect.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

How many times is this now?

Don't worry, Eifert Posting will be along with clips of other people stepping on things any minute.

e: haha, poor EP will never live that down.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

There are specific players that it's incredibly easy to dislike, and Blount happens to one of them for me. You or anyone else is free to characterize it as something more than a personal dislike for Blount if you like.

I think his point was you can hate Blount and still think Burfict made a(nother) dirty play.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Abugadu posted:

Probably. The defense is doing most of the work, and the o-line is doing surprisingly well in giving Bradford time to set and throw.

This was my first impression too, but Bradford is actually playing significantly better than he ever has so far this year. Having his first real OC (that didn't make his name coaching Tom Brady or in college at least) probably helps. His numbers are better than anything Teddy's put up, even though he's eventually going to throw some picks.

Having said that I agree they're definitely doing most of their winning on defense, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, no, he's trade bait.

Based on everything that's happened this season so far...why? Aside from the unfortunate possibilities with Teddy's injury.

• Locked thread