Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kalli posted:

yeah, he's doing a weekly film look at games and it's a good short read for some nerdy stuff. He also was on Barnwell's podcast like 2 weeks ago for a bit and went over a bunch of things you can look for to figure out what kind of play the offense will run.

Hey, I'm just saying if someone just happened to print that quote on a T-shirt I would buy a couple.

its cool that hes doing this, every single ex player and coach on the networks could do this,and when they are new you see some of it but eventually its beaten into them to just yell really loudly about who wants it more and everyone gets dumber because of it, its great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kalli posted:

Yeah, Geoff Schwartz is also doing this on a podcast and posting gifs of plays on twitter. He was also on Barnwell's podcast and talked about how mad he gets at Phil Simms for just getting things so wrong when he clearly has to know what the play is.

i think after being an announcer long enough you just become legally blind and make up random poo poo about whats happening infront of you

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Chilichimp posted:

An impressive run... but I'd rather hear a german calling this play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52BevMdPplg

holy poo poo is this awful

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Tannehill is trash, and most any QB in the league looks good unpressured

the second part of this is not even remotely true, not even a little bit

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

chykie is so happy

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Jonathan Fisk posted:

pretty much any qb above replacement level will perform well unpressured

if you're trotting out ryan lindley you're probably hosed but I'd assumed that was covered in my original language

nope

i feel like some goons dont understand how important qbs are and how rare their talents are, despite it being blindingly obvious. having one who is good at anything is actually pretty loving rare. if every qb was good without pressure they would not be valuable. outside of a like 10-15 good qbs everyone else is so bad they actively tank any chance you have at winning. and the good ones never move from their team so despite seeing a large number of qbs in the good category its still basically impossible to get one if you dont have one.

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 13, 2016

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kalli posted:

I disagree somewhat. The best quarterbacks can still be excellent even in terrible situations, like Rivers currently, Romo back before he had that incredible offensive line and Dez, Brees at times, and Cam last year are all good examples here. Losing with a great QB is losing with a stacked deck, mere competency should be carrying you to wild card appearances.

But beyond that, teams with good situations with excellent supporting casts and schemes that elevate talent. Dak Preskott should be a very limited rookie quarterback, but he's thriving because teams have to dedicate so much to still get run over by their offensive line. Dak might be some amazing diamond in the rough (he isn't), but you could probably replace him with 25 guys and be getting fairly similar results. The Cowboys have also neglected their defense in building the murderline that they probably won't win anything before they're no longer that, so that's a thing too.

But then you've got a large number of quarterbacks that are good enough to be successful in the right situation, but can't elevate talent or get ruined by bad coaching / team building. Guys like Flacco, Matt Ryan and Andy Dalton are probably the top of the curve here, with other guys like Bradford, Tannehill and plenty of others will look good at times, awful at others, but if you put a solid team around them, you should, more often then not, be pretty happy with what your offense is doing. The drop off from these guys to the Geno Smiths or god, the Ryan Lindleys of the world is enormous, and if you have one of these guys, you just have to hope your GM and coaching staff are competent enough to put pieces in place around them to succeed before other pieces break.

Or you don't, and spin your wheels for a decade while you joke about going 8-8.

Or I'm full of poo poo, there's that too

i disagree that anyone would look good in daks situation, or well i disagree that anyone could look good in that situation for a long time. only good qbs are consistently good when given the chance, bad qbs stumble and get "figured out" or whatever like i imagine dak will be before this season is over. if dak plays like this for several seasons then yeah, hes actually just a good qb and not some dude who got plugged into a great situation.

or i guess what im trying to say the stupid truism of Everyone Looks Good Without Pressure is only true for some pretty small number of games. if you are like several years in, and your qb always looks good when he has a certain situation then hes just a good qb, or at least a qb with a good enough skill that elevates him above his peers and makes him worth building around. so a good qb. 90% of qbs are not that, and no matter how great their situation is they will start to fail cause its actually really loving hard to be a qb in the nfl even with a favorable situation.

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 13, 2016

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the strongest opinion i ever gave on joe flacco was that he was good enough to win a superbowl if the ravens got lucky and im still really mad there was no pop dog was right thread

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Jonathan Fisk posted:

The fact you think these things doesn't make them true

There was some football outsiders project a few years back that showed every starter in the league except for all time terrible guys (Skelton, Lindley, etc) would turn plays with positive DVOA unpressured

im not the one spouting truisms but sure

Ralker posted:

Yeah in all this quarterback discussion it does seem like Flacco is the poster child for being able to win a lot of games with the right supporting cast. He doesn't seem like the level of quarterback who can make up for a lot of inadequacies by his team.

But I guess the real debate is the expectation of an average starting QB's abilities vs the actual play from the, say 16th best starting QB in the league today.

i used to think he would be the worst qb to ever "deserve" a 100m dollar contract but i guess with the cap always going up that won't be true forever. i love him tho

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 13, 2016

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Nah bruh you're just getting petulant when you're presented with actual evidence

:crossarms:

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Grittybeard posted:

My God he was even decent in San Francisco.

8/16 2 TDs 0 INTs

For his career Alex Smith in that situation is 14/24, 58.3%, 437 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs, 18.2 YPA, for a 142.3 passer rating. When set up well and he actually throws the damned thing Alex Smith's deep ball is actually....good? My entire worldview is spinning.

its not super hard to be efficient when your entire career youve thrown it 24 times

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Grittybeard posted:

Of course the attempts are super low, I didn't expect him to have good numbers in whatever few attempts he had though. If we expanded that out to all situations instead of super low down and distance I'm sure he's appropriately ugly because man does he miss wide open guys. Oh hell let's do it.

Still better than I expected but at least a little more in line. 223/534 41.7% 33 TD 29 INT.

We should also keep in mind that 'deep' in this situation is only 15 yards in the air. If I had a way to change that to 25 I'd expect the both the attempts and the good numbers to go down.

i imagine the routes he throws are different as well, and the ones hes going to go for are only going to be high % ones cause hes not comfortable with it. with andy reid specifically it would not be shocking if hes throwing those as counters to other plays they are running on short distance all game, altho thats just entirely speculation.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Brannock posted:

With all due respect it's clear you didn't watch more than a couple 2011 Packers games.

In every single game Rodgers was making throws that were considered outright impossible. Yes, obviously the Packers receiving squad that season was amazing -- but Rodgers was also making truly inconceivable throws, threading it perfectly through three sets of hands while stumbling backwards and floating two inches off the ground.

I watched all sixteen seasons of Brett on the Packers, and half the throws Rodgers made in 2011 would have been picked off if it was Favre throwing them instead.

You just have to have a high tolerance for pranks and fart jokes. Also he'd slap your butt so hard it'd leave a handprint mark.

*throws it to wide open reciever* ugh what an inconceivable throw no one can even comprehend the process that went into this jesus christ no one will ever throw another ball as well as that

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Grittybeard posted:

I'm not a big Aaron Rodgers fan but come on, dude has made some absolutely ridiculous throws over the years. I don't know if it's a no one else could do that thing or not, but he does deserve a lot of credit.

I thought he looked off starting last year and it got glossed over because he had no receivers, this year it just seems a little more obvious.

it sounds like they should rename the concept of throwing a ball to aaron rodgers, change the ball to just be his face

Brannock posted:

I've never been able to find the video of it again, but there was one touchdown in particular where Rodgers threads the ball through two defenders into Finley's (? Might have been someone else, it's been several years) hands for a touchdown. On the replay, it turns out that Rodgers had no way of actually seeing where Finley was because of the linemen and linebackers blocking his vision to the end zone. That's not so unusual for a timing route, but he adjusted the pass direction to take in account the defenders that he couldn't actually see.
i mean the throw was so impossible it cant even be rendered by video im sure

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Brockenstein posted:

"Aaron Rodgers isn't that good"

:smug:

he invented the forward pass, i hear

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Brockenstein posted:

You didn't last long before you resumed your contrarian gimmick

did you just say this so i couldnt disagree

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Brockenstein posted:

"Aaron Rodgers actually stinks" is a pretty bold take

i never said anything even coming close to this

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

mocking some dude descrbing his qbs throws as somehow violating euclidean geometry isnt the same thing as calling the qb bad.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Brockenstein posted:

Nah but implying all Rodgers does is throw to wide open receivers is basically "he's nothing special"

good thing i didn't do that?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Brockenstein posted:

Nah but implying all Rodgers does is throw to wide open receivers is basically "he's nothing special"

Saying Rodgers doesn't complete ridiculous passes through the tiniest windows on the regular is an admission that you haven't watched him at all

i think assuming this trait solely belongs to aaron rodgers and wafting out some gasbag poo poo about how it basically makes peyton manning and tom brady's peaks irrelevant is an admission youve never watched football at all

im gonna stop defending some throwaway jabs at a packers homer cause you massively misread them tho

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

road playoff wins is the only stat that matters

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

no one would argue that aaron rodgers can't warp reality at will, bending the very fabric of our lives at his whim but im pretty sure he only used it to make sure everyone saw brett favres tiny weiner

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

incompetent posted:

That takes pressure off the Titans to actually improve if you're always gonna be there to support a crappy product.

so kawalimus constant pessimism is the driving force behind the ravens success

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Bigass Moth posted:

Well you see all those years they didn't win the Superbowl? That's a curse.

true, true

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

his main issue is curses and the counteracting of, its a strong platform and hell id vote for him

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Gynecolojustice posted:

NFC East games have always been good, even when the division has sucked in the past. They are especially good when it's a divisional game. What's the last Skins/Cowboys or Eagles/Giants game that has been outright boring? This forums irritation at NFC east prime time games is the dumbest poo poo.

every single one of them

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

all of those games were insanely boring, i didnt even look at the list my eyes just glazed over and i had thoughts of the endless hell that is the same nfc east primetime game thats on every single week, the weeks between being a sort of halftime where everyone convinces themselves the poo poo they just consumed was not, infact poo poo but High Quality Steak and then hypes themselves up for the next bucket of poo poo to scorf down, and maybe reminisce about how awful Great all those other terrible games were. bad teams playing badly but in a way that ends up with a lot of points just isnt exciting and never will be

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the unsportsmanlike penalties are deeply rooted in Racism racism racism racism

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Febreeze posted:

Well I guess it makes sense you don't know what fun football looks like when you root for a cursed team

all i ask is for your patience, thoughts, and prayers as we struggle through the this decade of spectacular curses

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

I'm pretty hyped for the Packers' all-white Color Rush unis for some reason

are you a packers fan cause i see two words that would excite you if so

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Manoueverable posted:

Overall this season so far has just felt off, like the entire league has this weird cloud hanging over it impacting a ton of games.

I don't necessarily think it's all due to the celebration rules but it feels like there's something out of place leaguewide

The Curse knows no bounds

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Vontaze Burfict did nothing wrong

im not comfortable adding him to the list yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

whats his stance on curses, and on weapons that are forged against him? can they prosper?

• Locked thread