Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you joining NaNoWriMo this year?
Yes
No
JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJOOOOOOOOOOO
View Results

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Pikestaff posted:

Man, I've got no shame at this point. I commend anyone who actually wants to seek out my horrid fanfiction. at least leave me sympathy kudos

I feel like I should be doing more planning for this but... video games :(

Same bro. Vidya 4 lyfe.

wanna trade Ao3 profiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

HIJK posted:

Same bro. Vidya 4 lyfe.

wanna trade Ao3 profiles?

PM'd. (I'm so sorry)

I wrote a fanfic for Camp NaNo once and it turned out okay and a lot of people liked it, but for actual NaNo I always do original stuff. Then I usually hide it away where no one will see it. Most of the time I'm afraid to re-read it myself. But hey, what's NaNo if not an excuse to generate copious amounts of trash.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Pikestaff posted:

PM'd. (I'm so sorry)

I wrote a fanfic for Camp NaNo once and it turned out okay and a lot of people liked it, but for actual NaNo I always do original stuff. Then I usually hide it away where no one will see it. Most of the time I'm afraid to re-read it myself. But hey, what's NaNo if not an excuse to generate copious amounts of trash.

Same, friend.

I've tried writing fanfic for NaNo but I always ran out of steam after a few days. I'm hoping something original will be more self sustaining.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/doublecakes

I'm no novel writer but I want to finish a NaNo this year because I have trouble committing to creative projects.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Do any of y'all attend write-ins? Do those help you keep going? How weird are the people usually that go to them?

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

bromplicated posted:

Do any of y'all attend write-ins? Do those help you keep going? How weird are the people usually that go to them?

My experience has been positive overall. Most of the super awkward first timers give up halfway through November. And if you were already part of the group hosting them, it's basically just bullshitting with your friends. That and most of the weird first timers are just there to write anyway, so interaction with them is relatively limited.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

My experience has been positive overall. Most of the super awkward first timers give up halfway through November. And if you were already part of the group hosting them, it's basically just bullshitting with your friends. That and most of the weird first timers are just there to write anyway, so interaction with them is relatively limited.

Speaking as an awkward first-timer, but thinking about giving it a shot, you made it sound cliquey and not fun.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/anais-nun

Doing it again.

J-udy
Jan 22, 2009
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/judyio

I completely forgot this was a thing, until I saw this thread today. I've been outlining a non-fiction book the second half of October, and debating whether I'm ready to start the actual writing process.

Apparently I'm starting tomorrow! The timing could not be more perfect...

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I might go to a write-in if there were any within walking distance. As it is, I have no desire to lug my tank of a laptop around on public transit on top of walking to and from bus stops.

I also have zero desire to try and get involved with a group of people who already know each other. You either come off as aloof or desperate for acceptance. That said, I used to have a group of writing friends years ago and haven't found another group since (or at least not one of that caliber), and those were my really productive years. It's great to have someone to just talk to your story about (and their story) and get pumped up and excited to write it. I guess what it comes down to is: see what the people are like. If they're your kind of people, stick around. If not, don't bother.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
NaNoWriMo starts soon............................are you guys ready to JOOOOOJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I'm feeling good. Got a decent 2 page plot summary that I hope can keep me going..

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
My outline fell apart when I realized it was all background, and I had no ideas for an actual story arc.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I'm in. I fell short two years ago, but I actually had more to go off than I do now. Still, it's time to fight the power and such.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/razorstar

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I write full time anyway. Why not year four? I'm so in... I've got an hour and a half to plan before it starts... plenty of time.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

bromplicated posted:

Speaking as an awkward first-timer, but thinking about giving it a shot, you made it sound cliquey and not fun.

.........................poo poo, I did....... sorry about that.........

I just meant that no one will be super off-putting, and that it'll get way more chill the longer it goes on.

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice
Joining into this. just gotta get my link up!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
So I guess I'm properly doing this, then.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/polymphus

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Fuckmefuckmefuckme

I'm joining in this year. I barely made it last year but it's still a success.
Now here I am sat at my keyboard wondering what on earth I'm going to write 50k words about.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/genebwell

I'm writing an MG fantasy book that's like Pokemon meets Iron Chef. Kids cooking with the help of magic talking pets. In a kingdom named Qwijeen. It'll be fun to write, at least.

I wrote 475 words in the 15 minutes I had before work this morning and now I'm wondering how I'm going to resist skipping work to write this month. I'm sure the rush will die down soon and by mid-November I'll be cursing the day I signed up for this.

Anyone else bribing themselves to win? I've promised myself a nice video game shopping spree if I make it.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Getsuya posted:

Anyone else bribing themselves to win? I've promised myself a nice video game shopping spree if I make it.
I just mention it to different people so I feel shame if I don't finish.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Juanito posted:

I just mention it to different people so I feel shame if I don't finish.

Yeah pretty much. I'm on a "streak" now-- I've never lost a NaNo-- so I'm honestly just writing out of sheer force of will and the ability to brag afterwards.

I do usually order myself a pizza on December 1, though.

WELP, time to write a poo poo-ton, I'm in retail and uhhh let's just say that mid to late November is "exciting" so I always try to give myself an early buffer.

EDIT: and I think I'm gonna call it a wrap today at 2247 words, I'm happy with that start :toot:

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 1, 2016

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I'm not participating because I'm still banging my head fixing my first nanowrimo from 4 years ago. Second draft's a wild ride. But I wanted to stop in and wish everyone good luck and a fun time this year!

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

MY WILL IS THE CHEESE CLUB
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CHEESE

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/hlynn0

I signed up for NaNo 5 years ago and accomplished nothing. This year I plan to actually make a go of it as I am unemployed and need something to keep me creatively motivated.

PS. What is it with NaNo and everyone hosting write-ins at Panera? Almost every single write-in in my area is at a Panera. There are tons of amazing coffee shops and book stores around here. It is baffling.

Loud Mouse fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 1, 2016

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Loud Mouse posted:

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/hlynn0

I signed up for NaNo 5 years ago and accomplished nothing. This year I plan to actually make a go of it as I am unemployed and need something to keep me creatively motivated.

PS. What is it with NaNo and everyone hosting write-ins at Panera? Almost every single write-in in my area is at a Panera. There are tons of amazing coffee shops and book stores around here. It is baffling.

The steak and cheddar panini, clearly.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm in this year. First timer! Probably going to hate myself after this is over, though I've regularly been writing 1000-1500 words a day on average anyway.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/phantomfreq

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Ok, I'm in: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/sarah-dimento I've done 2110 words already. My secret: they're all poo poo!

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I'm in but I am lost as to write a YA piece that would be much closer to done at 50k or a fantasy idea I've actually got some notes for.

I guess I just have to pick one in about twenty when I sit down to hammer this poo poo out.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

bigperm posted:

I'm in but I am lost as to write a YA piece that would be much closer to done at 50k or a fantasy idea I've actually got some notes for.

I guess I just have to pick one in about twenty when I sit down to hammer this poo poo out.

I've done longer pieces for NaNo before. What I usually do in that case is finish it during a Camp NaNo (held in spring and summer with flexible goals). I managed to write a 90k novel using that method; wrote 50k in November and another 40k in April.

Good luck to everyone participating, regardless!

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Welp, I haven't done that many words today. I'm not so disappointed in myself. As I recall, I was behind for the entirety of last Nanowrimo and I made it in the end. Officially I've done around 650 words, but I've also written a fair bit about my characters. I'm going to consider it as investment; that is, investment in characters so I can actually give a poo poo about what happens to them. If I do that, maybe the reader will care too.

Oh yeah, might as well put this.
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/salem-sage

I also will point out, you absolutely do not have to go to the write ins. I've never been to one myself (although that's mostly due to me working every single one of those days). Who knows, if I get the opportunity, I might do it, but in the end, it's you and your story. As long as you just face up to it and knuckle down, you'll get there.

I particularly liked last year's thread title, I kind of keep repeating it to myself as a mantra every time I stop to think about editing:

Write wrong until there's nothing left to write.

I only hope I can take my own advice!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pikestaff posted:

for actual NaNo I always do original stuff. Then I usually hide it away where no one will see it.

Hey, I paid actual dollars for Windshifter and Cricket Song and they were worth it! :)

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
If you think this is tough, it's because it is. But keep going. I forced myself to finish last year and it was awesome. Also, my ability to crank poo poo out has dramatically improved. Go me.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I did about 1400 today. Tomorrow I'll pick it up, shooting for 5,000 by tomorrow night. It's going to be easy this time, after spending months on story, plot, character arc, pacing, I've decided to chuck it all out the window and just write.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I worked all day today and accomplished nothing. Go me!!!!

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

bromplicated posted:

Try it out, see how you like it. I've made some good friends from write-ins over the years.

I'm half-assedly NaNoing this year, I guess--trying to finish up something from a year ago. Not keeping a word count update, but talking with other people who write helps me keep writing.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well my first day is in the books, I'm a little shy of 3000 so I'm pretty happy with how far I've gotten, even though every time I look back I just groan at what I have. Feels like I could just hit 50k words on exposition. >:(

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Today's word count: 3185.

I finally finished the drat prologue. "Working" from home is the best.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Logicblade posted:

Feels like I could just hit 50k words on exposition. >:(

Yeah, if it has to come out while you're figuring out the story, don't fight it. You can pull all that poo poo out later.

Even with over 100k notes from all the poo poo I've worked out in my series over the years, half of the poo poo I did today ended up being exposition. It keeps pouring out of my rear end.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Today I wrote 2025 words! I'm super pumped. My strategy is mostly to write a ton on the days when I'm super pumped so that I have less to catch up on for the days when I'm not really feeling it (and those days will happen). A bunch of it was probably exposition, but I'm super happy with it.

This is the best I've felt about writing in a while. I'm excited about what I'm writing, and when I'm excited, I'm productive. Just about the only thing I'm not super thrilled about is that I am poo poo with European history and I feel that's going to make setting the tone difficult. I probably won't be able to immerse the reader in 1866 London or wherever, but as long as I have enough of an idea to visualize it while I'm writing that's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Logicblade posted:

Well my first day is in the books, I'm a little shy of 3000 so I'm pretty happy with how far I've gotten, even though every time I look back I just groan at what I have. Feels like I could just hit 50k words on exposition. >:(

Hemingway's famous advice, "Write drunk; edit sober", is never more apropos than during NaNo, although you shouldn't take it literally. Write without inhibition; getting words on the page is way more important than whether or not they're good words. Afterward, when all the words are on the page, you can go back through dispassionately and rationally and cut out the bad ones.

To invoke a different metaphor: at this stage, your task is to create the marble block. It's only when the marble block is created that you can start cutting away anything that isn't the statue.

(1800 words yesterday, shooting for 2000 today.)

• Locked thread