Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I am really, really, happy to see the DOT effects removed from those stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fun fact: Fire becomes blue once it reaches a high enough temperature and the hottest part of normal fire is actually blue. This is why blue fire is used to show how powerful its user is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The cooking mama LP you mentioned was done by Mico and it's on the archive. I highly recommend checking it out, not on an empty stomach, obviously.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost

Genocyber posted:

The cooking mama LP you mentioned was done by Mico and it's on the archive. I highly recommend checking it out, not on an empty stomach, obviously.

I didn't listen and now I'm stuck at work with an actively rumbling stomach. Send food.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I almost bought the game the other day, but it was $53 Used at Gamestop. Um, I'm gonna have to wait on that.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Turnys are probably required in the cold dishes because turny is used in all the cold alchemy potions. Not because it's a turnip. Because it's cold.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Possibly cheaper to just buy on PSN. Luckily the start of these videos reminding me about the game came close to a 50% off sale for me.

On Turnys. It's sometimes a pear too? But yeah, seems to be kind of a freezy thing sometimes.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Odin Sphere LP should be coming back soon now that Shibbotech is both done moving and in the middle of a tornado.

Also next episode will probably be rated AO for the first few minutes. I'll be sure to include a timestamp to skip to, but this is too funny to ignore.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
look man what happens in Chicago stays in Chicago alright

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It sounded like even natural disasters had enough of this.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Act 6: The raid on Ringford Forest.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

After (what feels like)a 3 month hiatus, we're finally back with a surprisingly tough miniboss, challenge missions, and hubris. Please enjoy.

Also got a bonus video coming up, just gotta grab it off twitch.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 3, 2017

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
The Vegetable Lamb of Tartary was a real thing. When people came back to Europe with cotton they had a hard time explaining to their other fellow White Idiots what it was. They described it to them as "wool but it grows on a plant", which led to a LOT of scientific journals and encyclopedias, which were written by people who had never left Europe, guessing as to what cotton plants looked like.

Fun Fact: this is also the basis of the pokemon Whimsicott.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
You know, ever since the first time Gwendolyn was shown with her hair down I had been wondering what she does with it in her battle sprite, until I caught a lucky freeze frame while rewinding a video and it turns out she has the same braid/bun thing going as FSN's Saber. Probably doesn't speak too well of my perceptiveness, for the first few episodes I thought it was just cut that short.

I'm going to miss Shibbotech once this arc is over, you two are really great to listen to when bouncing off one another.

But while we are on that topic, Shibo, are you the one holding back the Castle Crashers LP?

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 4, 2017

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Gamefaqs knows the answer to your stats question, as it knows all things.

"Xidea_Grimoire posted:

It's on the manual which is installed in-game.

STR = strength, affects the damage done to the enemy
CON = constitution, affects the damage reduction from enemy attacks.
DEX = dexterity, affects the POW meter recovery time and consumption of block meter.
LUC = luck, affects the possibility of either critical hit or GUTS (whenever you die, there's a slight chance that you just might barely survive by leaving 1 HP behind).

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I don't know if he appears in the chapters of other characters besides Gwen but Oswald himself is one of the playable characters as is Velvet. I won't say what their stories are about though since that's a spoiler.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Aumanor posted:

I'm going to miss Shibbotech once this arc is over, you two are really great to listen to when bouncing off one another.

But while we are on that topic, Shibo, are you the one holding back the Castle Crashers LP?

A.) Aww, thanks buddy! Highwang's been a blast to commentate with, hopefully he and I will get the chance to collab more going forward (assuming I haven't driven him insane with my schedule)

B.) Ancient Shibbo tradition to hold back everything I ever take part in. Including my own LP. Really though, life's just been kinda crazy on my end (moving cities, almost dying, trips out of town, new job, etc.) but I'm pretty stable now. Hopefully we can finish CC soon, as well as Trauma Center.

...wait highwang you don't mean that video do you, oh god

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

PleasingFungus posted:

Gamefaqs knows the answer to your stats question, as it knows all things.
Its so weird. If it was a physical manual, I'd seek that info out actively and know this. In-game manuals though, I just ignore them and try to face-roll everything. I had a similar problem with La-Mulana way back in the day.

shibbotech posted:

...wait highwang you don't mean that video do you, oh god

Bonus video: Our missing co-commentator (HELLA NSFW)

Thanks for all the help though Shibbo. Your services may be needed again in the future, I mainly just didn't want commentary to stagnate over the long length of this game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
As to your question of what kind of Irony that is, it's Dramatic irony when the audience knows something that the characters do not.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Epilogue: A Beautiful Illusion.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Gwendolyn's arc finishes with a grand finale that shakes the foundation of the world. Thanks again Shibbo for sticking around in this first act!

Now the goofy situation; HelloWinter has a bit of a hectic work schedule and can't really do the art vids I had planned nor the next act, so I have to look for a new co-commentator for Cornelius' arc. Process might take a week or two, so hopefully things won't get too tied up.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'll have to check this out later. I bought Muramasa Rebirth when I saw it on sale at a Gamestop mostly because of your LP of that game, and haven't regretted it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's odd that you refer to Odette "bringing back" Death and The Dead as malevolent forces, as those basically were consistently neutral if not benevolent throughout mythology. The concept of a psychopomp has shown up in multiple sources as some being (or beings) who ferries the souls of the dead, and considering that they have to get everyone the worst they've been portrayed is "on the wrong side of one particular argument". (Thanatos, a Greek psychopomp, was wrestled into submission by Heracles in order to save an acquaintance of the latter.) Similarly, lords of The Dead have been generally uncaring and/or austere. In particular, in a situation such as this a ruler of The Dead is reluctant to grant clemency in order to let a mortal live again because that would be an exception to the accepted law.

This doesn't preclude malevolent locations governed by lords of The Dead, like Tartarus and Hel (the location), but the lords of Death usually have to be equal-opportunity in their roles as judges.

Are you looking for co-commentators for other arcs, or just Cornelius?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Haha, I forgot about deaths giant jugs. I really do like the design besides the bigger than her head tits.

But I just think skeletons are cool, everything in the underworld is metal as gently caress.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I remember Odette being a pretty huge damage sponge on top of tanking the hell out of my framerate when playing PS2 Odin Sphere on emulator. There's one attack of hers that I kept expecting but never showed up in the recording, the one where she does a backflip and throws out a gigantic spinning blade across the screen - is that attack still there or did it get axed?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hell the very idea of lords of The Dead being evil is by and large thanks to Satan and the Christian Hell.

Mind you Hades was apparently not well liked by the actual Greeks or Lord Enma does send people to the Buddhist Hell to atone for their sins as discussed in Muramasa but even then neither were were actively malevolent, they are simply doing their job.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Well, it helps that Hades was one of the most chill Greek gods. Contrary to the Disney movie's portrayal of him, it was actually Poseidon who was the most jealous of Zeus's rise to power, IIRC. And all of the Greek gods had more than their fair share of dickery, both towards mortals and towards each other. When Hades is one of the most chill, and he literally kidnapped a minor goddess and tricked/coerced her into marriage (and being forced to spend at least half the year with him), it really speaks to how messed up Greek mythology actually is.

Hades was largely regarded sort of like a divine garbageman; he had an unpleasant job that was nevertheless essential to the proper functioning of the world. And both the Elysian Fields (heaven) and Tartarus (hell) lay within his realm, so he wasn't just responsible for torturing the "wicked", either; he also rewarded the "virtuous".

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Hey, Shibbo, guess what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_matter

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 11, 2017

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Gwendolyn may be the Worst Disney Princess, but I'm petty sure at this point she also qualifies as Disney Prince.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Chimera-gui posted:

Hell the very idea of lords of The Dead being evil is by and large thanks to Satan and the Christian Hell.

Mind you Hades was apparently not well liked by the actual Greeks or Lord Enma does send people to the Buddhist Hell to atone for their sins as discussed in Muramasa but even then neither were were actively malevolent, they are simply doing their job

Which I see Odette as also just doing her job. Even Dick Lord Odin, king of jerks was sad she passed.
After all she was only fulfilling a contract when she took Oswald.

Honestly tho I was expecting Gwyndolin to take her place, in some cosmic highlander dealie.

E:there arent any alternate endings are there?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nah, the narrative is set in stone. Each story arc though shows a different view of that narrative.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Highwang posted:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nah, the narrative is set in stone. Each story arc though shows a different view of that narrative.

Unless it changed from the PS2 version, (edit to add, "set in stone" means exactly that, you have zero ability to influence any events) the exception being: when you finish all the characters' individual stories leading up to Ragnarok, you fight a series of bosses and have to choose which character takes which boss. You have to guess from each character's story who should kill what; a few of the scenes have different dialogue based on who you choose, and taking the wrong sequence gets you a short "you won, but everyone dies anyway" game-over-try-again ending.

Tarezax posted:

There's one attack of hers that I kept expecting but never showed up in the recording, the one where she does a backflip and throws out a gigantic spinning blade across the screen - is that attack still there or did it get axed?
I was wondering about that as well.

Also, kinda knew there would be some amusing commentary on Odette's design legs. Glad to see my prediction was not disproved. Odin Sphere Schadenfreude.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 12, 2017

Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011

Tarezax posted:

I remember Odette being a pretty huge damage sponge on top of tanking the hell out of my framerate when playing PS2 Odin Sphere on emulator. There's one attack of hers that I kept expecting but never showed up in the recording, the one where she does a backflip and throws out a gigantic spinning blade across the screen - is that attack still there or did it get axed?

Yeah, she still has that attack.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
The things laughing at around 6:55 in ch7b, is that straight up just the jug laugh from dks2 or something that sounds A LOT like it?

Also why did the skeleton ghosts in the original mid boss fight have nipples :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 13, 2017

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
A fun quirk of the Halja attack with the runway of lost souls is that it also hits right behind him, punishing the old Dark Souls habit of hacking at a bosses' butt while they wind up.

EDIT : And IIRC, Juggle and Naturalize work over the entire room, not just the screen. I forget if naturalize convert buried veggies though.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 13, 2017

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update/Story Arc- The Pooka Prince, with Skippy Granola

Chapter 1- The Lost Coin.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Onto possibly my favorite story and character through the entire game. Not to say everyone else's story is bad, but something about Cornelius' story and general personality just resonates with me. It also helps that in the new story Cornelius is wicked fun to play.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Cornelius is probably my favorite character, he's just trying to do the right thing and maybe get laid in the process.

It's also even more amusing since I found out that he's voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, and his dad's voiced by Nolan North. So you're playing as Medieval Bunny Haseo, son of Nathan Drake.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Towards the end of the Muramasa LP thread, I mentioned not being super privy to Norse lore however having watched Nidoking's LP of Folklore I do know of some Celtic lore. The Pooka or Púca as Wikipedia spells it are said to be shape changers which could take the appearance of black horses, goats and, most relevant to this game, hares with other animals including cats, rabbits, ravens, foxes, wolves, goblins, or dogs. They can even take a human form, but will often have animal features such as ears or a tail.

Pooka are also quite dangerous, bringing both of good and bad fortune depending on the specific tale though needless to say you do not want to piss a Pooka off such as eating overripe blackberries which are believe to be the their property.

Also Skippy was thinking of A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 18, 2017

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
This is a few updates late, but miracle fruit can be naturalized for 100 phozons, juggled for a lot of Valentine coins, or, the simplest and possibly most profitable route, sold outright. I don't have the game on me anymore, but I think the silver one sold for 444g? Similarly scaled prices on the bronze and gold.

Not that you needed it, but I was kind of aghast when you just straight up ate the fruit. I think I literally said, out loud "You fool! You just ate 400 gold!" Welp, hope it was tasty.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update: Chapter 2- A Flagon Hard Time.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Stuck in a foreign continent, Cornelius now must prove his innocence and nobility by doing American Gladiators-tier nonsense for Odin's Amusement. We also get to see how OP Cornelius is thanks to Spark Shot.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I forgot how great Cornelius's "Item Get" stance was. He's so intense lifting that map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Like I realize you have to have some kinds of enemies in that first area, but is there an in world reason why it's valkyries and dwarves? :v:

• Locked thread