Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Someone requested a very poorly edited sombrero egg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I should really learn to cook with all this cooking chat. Even though I live in Australia and there is so much advertisement for lamb I've only ever eaten it 3 times in my 26 years of life.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Shei-kun posted:

Someone requested a very poorly edited sombrero egg?

Don't worry Valentine I'm not under-estimating it at all.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I think everyone can appreciate a good cutie. :3:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
You know, Oswald's starting to look more and more like a total chump for geting his rear end kicked by that baby dragon. I mean, even a freaking bunny rabbit managed to handle it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Act 7: The Found Coin.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

And with that, Cornelius' story has come to a close. Thanks again to Skippy Granola for sticking around for this story arc. Also if audio sounds a bit weird, I'm experimenting with a noise gate for some things and I'm not too sure if I did everything right.

Next up is Mercedes. Ugh.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Very Nice

e: I should have watched more than 2 minutes before making that post but I don't regret it.

SloppyDoughnuts fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 24, 2017

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

I am finally doing the correct thing and watching this at lunch time while eating some vegemite toast so now all that delicious looking 2D food doesn't make me hungry and sad that I can't actually cook.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Augh, they remade the Valentine Battle music. Got rid of the neato pump-up drums and bells/marimba/xylophone and replaced it with pansy violins and flutes. My Valentine music balloon is now deflated :eng99:

(Hooray for later chapters at least!)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 24, 2017

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Mercedes, Chapter 1: Princess & The Frog.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Its time for the Mercedes storyline with Torpid Typist! Hopefully my bile doesn't ruin the LP.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Here we go!

I've been looking forward to Mercedes's story for a while now simply because watching boss's HP bars melt feels hugely gratifying, and I like how her playstyle is sort of a 180 from any other character in the game.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The main McGuffin references points are The Maltese Falcon, or the briefcase in... Pulp Fiction? An item or similar that has no value other than being sought after thus advancing the plot.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The weirdest thing of having Wendee Lee voicing the Fairy Queen, is that she also voices Velvet.
Actually no she doesn't, but her and Michelle Ruff (Velvet's VA) do a lot of the elf VA's.

And of course Odin doesn't have a spear, Gwendolyn has it :v:

Mercedes is probably my least favorite story too but it's a coming of age story. For all the woes of her gameplay she melts bosses real nice. Even if her reload is annoying now since it's automatic :stonk:

At least familiarly voiced frog is here to save the day!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I wish we could play as karate frog

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair if a dragon was about to eat you, wouldn't you run the gently caress away as well? Even the frog was like "Oh gently caress me, I'm getting the gently caress outta here!"

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I dunno what you're talking about, Highwang.

Melting the gently caress out of all of those enemies looked pretty fun to me.

Also, something tells me that the queen having the bow wouldn't have mattered against Odin and his Giant Deathball.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Also re: joke involving streaming visual novels, super great friend and slowbeef have done this. I really don't have the patience or time to pay attention to it but it does exist.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Mercedes is 2nd Best. Gwendolyn is 1st.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Is it time for the best chapter already? Here we go!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Mercedes, Ch 2: The Flames of Rebellion.....Part A.....Part B.....Part C

Time to quell Melvin's coup with both the inspiring words and help of our faithful frog buddy who is in no way important to the plot. This chapter also shows just how quickly Mercedes can shred enemies.

Also, stick around to the end of part B for a lesson to all you people getting into LP. aka, a blooper.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Highwang posted:

Also, stick around to the end of part B for a lesson to all you people getting into LP. aka, a blooper.

That weird compulsion to run directly into projectiles is a real thing called Object Fixation

And hey while I'm linking things, here's that Rocko's Modern Life scene that was mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYoj8_LBavQ

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mega Man Zero's dalliance with ranking mechanics is a bit less involved than your co-commentator implied, though 1 and 2 were still annoying in that regard.
  • Zero 1 has a ranking system, checked on a per-stage basis, but doesn't do anything with it besides sneering at you if you can't hit its harsh requirements (like not using any Cyber Elves, the only source of permanent power-ups in the game). Basically, you're graded on completing mission tasks/not being slow/killing a bunch of enemies/damage taken/not dying/not using Cyber Elves. 96+ out of 100 gets you an S rank, 86-95 gets you an A rank, and so on down to F rank at 45-.
  • Zero 2 uses nearly the same ranking system (thresholds for losing points due to damage are more lenient), but that game actually uses it to gate special attacks. You don't need to hit an S rank to get a special attack from a boss, but hitting an A rank is still tricky if you're not abusing your limited supply of Cyber Elves that outright give you an A rank in a stage.
  • Zero 3 uses a similar ranking system and ability gating to Zero 2, but the damage thresholds are more lenient still. And in addition, two things make getting A ranks relatively easy. First, your rank is determined based on your average score across all stages you've done thus far, so as long as you're not being consistently bad you can probably do well. (The opening stage is pretty easy to get 95+ points in, for instance.) Second, you can turn permanent Cyber Elves into Satellite Elves and use two of those at a time, allowing you to get their effects without getting penalized for interacting with one of the major systems in the game. (This sort of thing is part of why I laugh at people who say that Zero 2 is the best in the series.) You do get -5 points if you enter Cyber Space (which turns a stage into easy mode by equipping you with all your permanent Cyber Elves at once), but at least that's a one-time penalty. The only point to getting S ranks is to unlock a few minigames, but to be frank those are just for bragging rights.
  • Zero 4 uses a similar ranking system to 3, but in that game you only have one Cyber Elf. So instead of getting points for not using Cyber Elves and then slowly losing them as you use more (except Zero 3's Satellite Elves), you instead get negative points if your one Cyber Elf has more points invested than its stated capacity (which increases by 1 for each main-stage boss you've defeated). To compensate for this, you instead get more starting points for damage taken and get 10 points to your ranking if you enter a stage on its harder mode (which oscillates every time you enter a stage, even the opening ones, to allow for easy selection). It's clunkier than Zero 3's design, but at least it's not actively telling you to Git Gud like Zero 1 and 2.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 12, 2017

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

NGDBSS posted:

Zero 4 uses a similar ranking system to 4, but in that game you only have one Cyber Elf.

I'd be worried and confused if it didn't.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

I'd be worried and confused if it didn't.
Somehow that wasn't the only typo that snuck into my post.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The ranking system's been debated multiple times in the mega man general thread. You can't really get a sense of it with a description like that. Like in Zero 1, how elfs are one use only and lower your rank? Well, they're also sentient. You have to raise them from birth by grinding for thousands of crystals to feed them before you can even use them, and then to use it you have to kill it. Plus the game gives you insulting titles for lower ranks.

I've never liked the ranking system. The 8 and 16 bit games are about customization to fit your playstyle, Zero games are about perfect execution and actively punishes attempts to customize.

Also note that Odin Sphere just ranks you per fight. That's manageable. You have a few free to score low on and can learn to rank higher and get used to the enemies and everything. Zero games rank ENTIRE LEVELS at a time, that you've never played before, including on time. You're expected to speed run the first time you play the drat level and get punished for exploring, when in X games you were rewarded for exploring by ALL of your gear that way.

A lot of people like perfect execution and just say to get good, but that's not what I like and there's no other way to play the game other than to be perfect at it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"PERFECT EXECUTION SPEEDRUN" is kind of Inti-Creates thing, as evidenced by Gunvolt and MN9. Thankfully they were able to reign themselves in for the ZX Series which only requires you to make things harder on yourselves for Bosses, and gives you multiple tries to get it right if you don't.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Also note that Odin Sphere just ranks you per fight. That's manageable. You have a few free to score low on and can learn to rank higher and get used to the enemies and everything. Zero games rank ENTIRE LEVELS at a time, that you've never played before, including on time. You're expected to speed run the first time you play the drat level and get punished for exploring, when in X games you were rewarded for exploring by ALL of your gear that way.

Odin Sphere also lets you carry over points in excess of your current ranking threshold that are applied to your next fight. Though I seem to remember the original PS2 game being fairly difficult to S rank whereas the PS3 version is a lot more forgiving.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Kurieg posted:

Odin Sphere also lets you carry over points in excess of your current ranking threshold that are applied to your next fight. Though I seem to remember the original PS2 game being fairly difficult to S rank whereas the PS3 version is a lot more forgiving.
I will say its a lot easier to S-Rank in Leifthrasir because harder difficulties give you more rank points as a reward, but also the gameplay in general lends itself to easier play since you move way faster, your moves are a lot more fluid and easily cancel-able, and you can actually see the par time now so you are aware of where your points are bleeding from.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update- Chapter 3: A Queen's Duty.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

This update totally wasn't delayed due to me trying to both finish an LP and start up a new one.

Today we learn that Wagner is the best character ever.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
It's pronounced "Coo-lee" you uncultured swine :argh:

Being serious, though, it classically meant it's the juice or puree of a meat. Now, though, it's a thin puree or sauce, often of vegetables or fruit.

So an ice cream coulis is basically a fancy way of saying "I blended up some fruit and put ice cream in it." Mercedes is paying four Valentine silvers for an ice cream sitting in a fruit sauce.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaand you immediately Google it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Mercedes stop teasing the poor frog. He just need a quick peck on the cheek in order to be a man again!
... Why are you looking at me like that, we're being completely serious here.

Wagner is indeed the best. Also Wagner is doing the thing of 'I don't care about your specifics I'm right enough to suit me I'm a drat dragon and I'm mad so I'm lumping you all together' with regards to Psyphers, their wielders and who slayed Hindel. He's also freaking out a bit since y'know, they're the only things that can actually kill him and his kind. (Wagner being Wagner, he doesn't get scared he gets WRATH.)

Finally, slightly glossed over but I always found it neat that the fairy dwarves are just that, dwarves that decided to stop being a dwarf by putting on different funny hats, calling themselves a different name and giving up science to fight against their brethren. Except Brom who was too good at the science so everyone settled for him not wearing a hat at all.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Chapter 4: Beldor's Gambit.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Today's update totally wasn't delayed due to me binge-ing Persona 4 across two straight weeks, no sir.

Also, today we learn that Mercedes is the worst disney princess with how she acts this update.

PS: I never realized the playlist was an unorganized garbage fire. Should be fixed now.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 9, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Speaking of the worst Disney Princess, check out who's on the cover of the June cover of GameInformer:

Image courtesy of RobDuenas on DeviantArt.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Gwen lost her Psypher and she's pissed about it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Chapter 5: Seeking Brom.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Today's episode not brought to you by my hauppauge capture card being a piece of crap.

This episode, Mercedes needs a trump card in order to take on Odin, however Brom is currently in the underworld thanks to Melvin. Also this chapter, I realize how fun and goofy Mandragora March is.

Chimera-gui posted:

Speaking of the worst Disney Princess, check out who's on the cover of the June cover of GameInformer:

Image courtesy of RobDuenas on DeviantArt.

God this reminds me of that old gaming mag that had really high-intensity art. Was that EGM or Game Informer?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

The cover of the June cover of GameInformer

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

HardDiskD posted:

Gwen lost her Psypher and she's pissed about it.

other end

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Also while I like the playable characters, Mercedes included, do to me being more forgiving of flaws the entire cast are either a complete moron like Cornelius or an rear end in a top hat like Brigan and Mercedes herself isn't really any worst than Gwen as a character for me.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

I don't really think there are any justifications about everything having huge breasts besides the dude likes tits a lot, I can understand I am also a breast man.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Except it's pretty consistent over most of Vanillaware's games who has the largest cup size: the witch/sorceress archetype.
So that explanation is neat and cool.

It's not something that inherently needs justification.

Regarding shops, on one hand the lack of alchemy mathing makes you do alchemy less which means you buy less from the shops and on the other hand in Heroic Mode a bundle of those potions are useless to you and you need the levels from Maurie in order to keep your damage up to get your S ranks going decently enough.

Then I see you have like, a sack full of potions you're not using and my immediate question is 'if you're not spending all of your money on Maurie ingrediants and accessories why are you not buying cheap food items to stick into those potions for when you need to potion storm?'
Waiting for Ice Shield potions is a good explanation but the part of me that slaps my RPG Elixir Hoarder tendency with a raw shrimp says 'if you want to spend more money, then spend more money!'

Which brings me to a question: are the Valentinian coins completely separate in this version or can you spend them like in the original? (IE you have 100 g and 10 Ariel Silver, do you really have 90g or is it straight 100g?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Which brings me to a question: are the Valentinian coins completely separate in this version or can you spend them like in the original? (IE you have 100 g and 10 Ariel Silver, do you really have 90g or is it straight 100g?)
They simplified the money system: Any valentine currency is exclusively for the town eateries, and the Ragnanival/Titanian currencies are an aggregate pile for shops.

• Locked thread