Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I know we had a yosposter in one a few years back, but are they a viable option for nerds today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
I think shadowhawk lives in an apartment or house for big boys now.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
my roommate has a job op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

George posted:

my roommate

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
had to take on boarders to keep the east wing in repair

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

BooLoo posted:

I think shadowhawk lives in an apartment or house for big boys now.
I rent a 5 bedroom home near Apple and let out the rooms as indivdual furnished month to month things. It's basically roommates but I'm clearly the head of household (and unlike college there's no bickering over utility splitting or whatever).

Around here you can put this sort of room up on airbnb with a minimum stay of >1 month and it'll get snatched up by interns, who are otherwise pretty screwed for housing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kill all landlords

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Snapchat A Titty posted:

kill all landlords
also homeowners

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
im really lucky, my landlord is cool and good

its a refreshing change from student slumlords

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol shadowhawk jumped from coldwater flat squatter to surge-pricing landlord pretty quick
its almost as though theres no option in the middle to just live like a decent normal adult

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
uh, is anyone else thinking the obvious?

YOSPOS HACKER HOUSE!!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tfw u make a YOSPOS injoek and no-one notices

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686720&perpage=40&pagenumber=1953#post465238033

:smith:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

uh, is anyone else thinking the obvious?

YOSPOS HACKER HOUSE!!

im about 16 grand away from 5 acres of this hth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
more like a hacker farm really

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Jonny packet radio doesn't cut it for the expected volume of shitposting.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ShadowHawk posted:

I rent a 5 bedroom home near Apple and let out the rooms as indivdual furnished month to month things. It's basically roommates but I'm clearly the head of household (and unlike college there's no bickering over utility splitting or whatever).

Around here you can put this sort of room up on airbnb with a minimum stay of >1 month and it'll get snatched up by interns, who are otherwise pretty screwed for housing.

how much do you charge per room

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
good for you shadowhawk... I think

also you couldnt pay me to live in a yoshouse.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BooLoo posted:

good for you shadowhawk... I think

also you couldnt pay me to live in a yoshouse.

the very yospos DOShouse

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/doss-house

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a DOS house?!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the hans reiser estate

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jonny 290 posted:

i am intimately acquainted with both manual labor AND computers, so i may be uniquely qualified to live in your barn

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

lol shadowhawk jumped from coldwater flat squatter to surge-pricing landlord pretty quick
its almost as though theres no option in the middle to just live like a decent normal adult

there are in places that arent sf

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ShadowHawk posted:

also homeowners

Not In -~=My BaCkYaRd=~-

except the tents that i airbnb out to recent grad startup interns those are a-ok

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

there are in places that arent sf

name one that isn't a conservative shithole

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i am intimately acquainted with both manual labor AND computers, so i may be uniquely qualified to live in your barn

yeah man come hang out for a summer, help pick tomatoes and water the :weed: , we'll have a yurt or something set up for ya, can gently caress around in the welding shop or go for a hike or whatever

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm a homeowner who is also caught in a predatory lease for another month because I didn't realize my landlord was a piece of poo poo when I bought my house.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"Oh you want to break your lease? Well you can when we find a tenant who meets our qualifications" *raises rent another $200 and puts a 3xRent income requirement on a shity apartment in a loving slum*

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hmmm, touche

chicago?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah man come hang out for a summer, help pick tomatoes and water the :weed: , we'll have a yurt or something set up for ya, can gently caress around in the welding shop or go for a hike or whatever

imna think about this real hard for when i go remote

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Stereotype posted:

"Oh you want to break your lease? Well you can when we find a tenant who meets our qualifications" *raises rent another $200 and puts a 3xRent income requirement on a shity apartment in a loving slum*

how is that not illegal

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

europe

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I AM MY TRUST OWNS HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF ACRES OF BARE ROLLING LAND PLUS FIVE SQUARE KILOMETRES OF AVERAGE GRADE PINUS RADIATA THAT WILL BE HARVESTED IN A FEW YEARS LOL

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I am not a farmer.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Stereotype posted:

I'm a homeowner who is also caught in a predatory lease for another month because I didn't realize my landlord was a piece of poo poo when I bought my house.
When I moved into my last house I left on the end date of my lease and the landlord insisted that I owed them for the following month (where they also tried to unilaterally raise the rent for). I had to take them all the way to Small Claims court where a judge frustratedly explained to them that you can't charge for an extra month just because you don't want them to leave.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Stereotype posted:

how is that not illegal
The law is basically "if you break your lease you are liable for whatever the landlord lost due to the place going empty for however long". The landlord has to at least pretend to try and fill the vacancy (eg post an ad). Your remedy is unfortunately small claims court (unless your rent is over 5k or so), which is an enormous hassle.

I'm not certain how that interacts with landlord trying to charge more for the unit than you were paying (if they fail to find someone), but even if I told you they couldn't do that would you really want to take it all the way to court and risk having a landlord judgement on your record against you if you lose? Background check companies for property managers will dig for those cases now.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

property is theft

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xaris posted:

how much do you charge per room
1400, utilities/cleaning service included, with whatever timing is needed (thus I'll sometimes eat half-months when it's vacant or whatever)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ShadowHawk posted:

The law is basically "if you break your lease you are liable for whatever the landlord lost due to the place going empty for however long". The landlord has to at least pretend to try and fill the vacancy (eg post an ad). Your remedy is unfortunately small claims court (unless your rent is over 5k or so), which is an enormous hassle.

I'm not certain how that interacts with landlord trying to charge more for the unit than you were paying (if they fail to find someone), but even if I told you they couldn't do that would you really want to take it all the way to court and risk having a landlord judgement on your record against you if you lose? Background check companies for property managers will dig for those cases now.

hahaha your system is hosed up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jfc 1400 for a room

i pay less on 900 sqft in a very dece copenhagen neighborhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Snapchat A Titty posted:

jfc 1400 for a room

i pay less on 900 sqft in a very dece copenhagen neighborhood
Silicon Valley is a magical place. I could literally afford 10 vacation homes before I could get a "starter home" here.

• Locked thread