Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ShadowHawk posted:

also homeowners

Not In -~=My BaCkYaRd=~-

except the tents that i airbnb out to recent grad startup interns those are a-ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

there are in places that arent sf

name one that isn't a conservative shithole

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol too racist

ShadowHawk posted:

It's gotten so bad here that entirely new political factions are forming just to counteract decades of "never build housing so my home price will rise" politics. See for instance the "Yimby party" and the "Bay Area Renters Federation (BARF)"

It may slowly be working too. Mountain View has been taken over by pro-housing candidates and they're approving development left and right.

i did my part and helped vote those people into city council

feels good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

bay area landlords squabbling about their precious dirt right up to the moment the entire west coast cracks and slides into the sea

lol that people think this and ignore how hosed oregon will be

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

sometimes when it's very late at night and everything is dark and quiet, and i'm the only one awake, i imagine that at that very moment, the yellowstone caldera is going to explode

i like to imagine that the geological monitoring will give us enough time to go beg congress for money to drain it and get soundly shot down by conservatives before it kills all humans

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they carefully explode it so the lava drains into pre-dug mineshafts elsewhere and then hunt around in the cleared out chambers w/ their iron pickaxes for those tiny rare veins of diamond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i'd imagine that if you somehow "drained" enough heat from the earth's mantle to make a difference you would end up with all the same problems of a volcanic eruption up here on the surface. energy has to go somewhere

the masses involved would probably require some kinda gigantohuge mining operation before you even had a suitable place to divert the stuff

and yea too close to the surface presents a whole lotta problems - the one i'd be concerned w/ after the heat (since we're assuming that we're making use of it somehow like for power generation) is the off gassing of enormous amounts of carbon dioxide and all those other volcanic gases into the atmosphere

so that's why we've gotta sink a crazy deep shaft nearby the smallest magma chamber and use nuclear excavation to create additional space for it to go and relieve some pressure - then you fill the shaft w/ your geothermal equipment before you seal it w/ flowable fill and directionally drill into the magma chamber to get flow started

• Locked thread