Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I have a referral link but instead of posting it I'm going to give you the gift of everybody's favourite, sexiest companion in the game:

Edit:

Apparently Musco clarified some of the stuff reported from the NYCC Cantina:

quote:

• All 9 Chapters are being released with Eternal Throne’s launch.
  • What we said is that after KOTET’s launch, the team is refocusing on group content. Our hope is that as a part of the January Producer Letter or Livestream, we will have more specific updates on what is to come. This includes all types of group content, but was a specific answer to the question of Operations.
  • We will have a whole bunch of livestreams and blogs between now and launch to go into details on many facets of the expansion.
  • Dark vs Light is intended to end with KOTET Early Access on November 29th. However, I believe the Dark vs Light part of it to decide which Companion will be awarded, will end a week or so prior to that.
  • PvP / GSF – Refer to answer above about Operations // stream in January.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will subscribe to SWTOR if they bring back the original Tracer Missile animation.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Sorry I couldn't resist.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
One day we'll all finally understand the true significance of the Tracer Missile animation and we will all be better for it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Penny Arcade doesn't actually do research on the stuff they draw cartoons about? :monocle:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

prefect posted:

Penny Arcade doesn't actually do research on the stuff they draw cartoons about? :monocle:

Probably not, but it was still funny.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I said come in! posted:

Probably not, but it was still funny.

Guess I'm just defensive, probably because I've been enjoying the game so much since I came back. :blush:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I love this game, but I thought that PA cartoon was 1) a funny MMO joke, and 2) probably right. That is to say that there are probably some people who tried SWTOR before, didn't like it (fair enough, it's not for everybody), who might be tempted back by the latest very good teaser trailer, and ultimately be disappointed. Because it's still SWTOR.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

shadok posted:

I love this game, but I thought that PA cartoon was 1) a funny MMO joke, and 2) probably right. That is to say that there are probably some people who tried SWTOR before, didn't like it (fair enough, it's not for everybody), who might be tempted back by the latest very good teaser trailer, and ultimately be disappointed. Because it's still SWTOR.

I don't quite agree; the "spend 100 hours collecting space bear asses" complaint that the cartoon is making fun of is largely gone now, with the changes to leveling. People who come in expecting KOTOR 3 are practically getting it now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Both the strip and trailer wildly misrepresent the game.

Also neither are funny.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
I always liked SWTOR and played at launch, the only thing that was horrid was the travel. They fixed a lot of that, and now it's a no brainer if we can automatically level through story quests alone. And solo flashpoints are pretty sweet too. if you are in it for the story that is.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Utnayan posted:

I always liked SWTOR and played at launch, the only thing that was horrid was the travel. They fixed a lot of that, and now it's a no brainer if we can automatically level through story quests alone. And solo flashpoints are pretty sweet too. if you are in it for the story that is.

I mean, the leveling was also pretty horrid. Being required to do every quest, including heroics, space missions and on level FPs, inorder to stay caught up to the level of the planet was insanely tedious. Especially since there was no group finder for those FPs, so good luck finding people to actually do heroics/FPs with.

I remember landing on Hoth on my SW and every mob in the first area was red, because I hadn't been doing FPs or Heroics and I was like 5 levels below Hoth's 'starting' level... so I went and did a bunch of space missions, a ton of pvping, and grinded my way to where I could actually continue my story. It was terrible.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KittyEmpress posted:

I remember landing on Hoth on my SW and every mob in the first area was red, because I hadn't been doing FPs or Heroics and I was like 5 levels below Hoth's 'starting' level... so I went and did a bunch of space missions, a ton of pvping, and grinded my way to where I could actually continue my story. It was terrible.

I also got murdered on Hoth, because my Operative had snuck around all the enemies on previous planets, so I was several levels below what I was supposed to be. :saddowns:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Prior to the leveling changes, SWTOR was the story of a person that was extremely angry at kuat drive yards

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

KittyEmpress posted:

I mean, the leveling was also pretty horrid. Being required to do every quest, including heroics, space missions and on level FPs, inorder to stay caught up to the level of the planet was insanely tedious. Especially since there was no group finder for those FPs, so good luck finding people to actually do heroics/FPs with.
In my opinion, the tedium of having to do almost everything wasn't the worst thing about early-days TOR. It was the accompanying fact that you basically had to do everything just to scrape together enough planetary commendations (the horror, the horror) to buy yourself equipment upgrades at the end of every planet - which would then be only barely sufficient for the next planet, where the whole process would start all over again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And every planet had its own unique commendation, so you started at zero every time you moved. And you didn't get sprint until like level 15 or something.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

KOTFE brought me back when it first launched, I played 9 chapters and then dropped out--seeing all of the hype about the new trailer pulled me back in and I just finished all of the KOTFE chapters.

Is there anything to do (solo) before the next xpac aside from dailies and stuff?

Also might as well ask if since the release of KOTFE have there been any additional items or buffs or anything that weren't out then that would make leveling through the main stories even easier? I've got premium and have been using the Major EXP boosts to be way way way ahead of the curve, but figure if there's any extra advantage I can get that'd be nice

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What's the point in being way ahead of the curve?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sombrerotron posted:

In my opinion, the tedium of having to do almost everything wasn't the worst thing about early-days TOR. It was the accompanying fact that you basically had to do everything just to scrape together enough planetary commendations (the horror, the horror) to buy yourself equipment upgrades at the end of every planet - which would then be only barely sufficient for the next planet, where the whole process would start all over again.

God, I had forgotten about planetary commendations. Thanks for reminding me, jerk!!!

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Have they toned down the ability bloat?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Utnayan posted:

Have they toned down the ability bloat?

Same as it was at launch. If you just want to jam through story you can do it with as few moves as you feel like using. If you want to play any of the endgame activities or PvP there are a few more moves you'll want to use.

Never really understood the ability bloat complaints. This isn't a console game, it's a MMORPG. At least it's not EverQuest, there you had literally hundreds of spells and abilities. Even the most complex class can do almost everything with one or two bars.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
MMOs aren't nearly complex enough to require shedloads of buttons.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Did everything at launch Fallen Empire, worth resubbing to see everything that came in patches?

I did enjoy my time sniping dudes and being space bond in a jedi's world. :unsmith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thyrork posted:

Did everything at launch Fallen Empire, worth resubbing to see everything that came in patches?

I did enjoy my time sniping dudes and being space bond in a jedi's world. :unsmith:

If you enjoyed KOTFE you'll probably enjoy KOTET so it's worth subbing for at least a month. :)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

sassassin posted:

What's the point in being way ahead of the curve?

Being able to plow through trash even faster since a lot of accessing the story is just going through the MMO motions

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

Being able to plow through trash even faster since a lot of accessing the story is just going through the MMO motions

to be fair, it is a loving MMO.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ainsley McTree posted:

And every planet had its own unique commendation, so you started at zero every time you moved. And you didn't get sprint until like level 15 or something.

I certainly don't miss these or the having to pay for training which got expensive as gently caress as you leveled so you were often having to decide which ability was more important than the others. Or having a gear drop and having to decide on either an upgrade for you or choose between companions and hope that you planned right to cover when you get those occasional missions you have to do with a specific companion so they're not undergeared.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah let me tell you the main reason I don't use (Agent story spoilers) Kaliyo is because on my Operative, second character ever played back at launch, used her exclusively. Then came Corellia and i lost her, so I had to switch to Scorpio since she had second best gear but it was still rough to go through that drat planet with under geared companion. Stuck with Scorpio after that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah let me tell you the main reason I don't use (Agent story spoilers) Kaliyo is because on my Operative, second character ever played back at launch, used her exclusively. Then came Corellia and i lost her, so I had to switch to Scorpio since she had second best gear but it was still rough to go through that drat planet with under geared companion. Stuck with Scorpio after that.

YUUUUUUUP

Although that did lead me to the light of using Dr. Lokin, a healing companion who can just use your hand-me-down gear, which is really what I should have been doing the whole time.

Kids these days don't even know

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I couldn't use Lokin because as a pre 2.0 Operative literally all my damage came from backstabbing and he couldn't tank.

I like Concealment better now overall, though I do miss the PvP insane burst of Hidden Strike, backstab, vanish, Hidden Strike. Killed most people before the knockdown wore off. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Better than Jedi Knights. For the grand finale to their story, they're required to use T7-01, their very first companion. Haven't used T7 since you got your second companion? Sucks to be you.

They eventually added a free set of up to date gear for T7 you could loot at the beginning of the mission.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Better than Jedi Knights. For the grand finale to their story, they're required to use T7-01, their very first companion. Haven't used T7 since you got your second companion? Sucks to be you.

They eventually added a free set of up to date gear for T7 you could loot at the beginning of the mission.

Yeah that was added very quickly after launch. There were always people shouting for help with the final fight.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Is the majority of the "gameplay" still riding your mount for 20 minutes through empty fields/forests/desert/tundra to collect 5 krayt claws and then riding another 20 minutes back to turn them in?

Exaggeration aside, Tatooine and Hoth killed my enjoyment of this game because I felt like I spent more time going from place to place than I did actually DOING anything and it was loving BORING.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

bear is driving! posted:

Is the majority of the "gameplay" still riding your mount for 20 minutes through empty fields/forests/desert/tundra to collect 5 krayt claws and then riding another 20 minutes back to turn them in?

Exaggeration aside, Tatooine and Hoth killed my enjoyment of this game because I felt like I spent more time going from place to place than I did actually DOING anything and it was loving BORING.

Until you hit Belsavis, then it's 40 minutes of travel each way

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

bear is driving! posted:

I think you mean Alderaan :gonk:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Now all the taxi points are unlocked automatically so the time traveling is cut dramatically. And with legacy perks, you can make quick travel have zero cooldown so hopping around planets is much easier. :)

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm not really sure if long driving around to get to a quest area is worse than say ch8 of FE where you go from the scion place back to your ship. Every 10 meters there's another 3 pack you have to kill. Then you get to the ship, do a cutscene and turn around and have to go basically back and all the mobs are there again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Now all the taxi points are unlocked automatically so the time traveling is cut dramatically. And with legacy perks, you can make quick travel have zero cooldown so hopping around planets is much easier. :)

You can also gain lots of XP and gear by grinding out heroics which are A) now soloable and B) give you handy-dandy teleporters straight to the quest location when you pick up the quest (from a terminal, which lists them all out so you don't even have to find them in the world anymore). You can bang them out real quick and save time if you just wanted to do class quests and skip the planetaries. Or at least I assume you still can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

You can also gain lots of XP and gear by grinding out heroics which are A) now soloable and B) give you handy-dandy teleporters straight to the quest location when you pick up the quest (from a terminal, which lists them all out so you don't even have to find them in the world anymore). You can bang them out real quick and save time if you just wanted to do class quests and skip the planetaries. Or at least I assume you still can.

Yep, I did the 8 level 50s for the DvL event almost entirely through Heroics and PvP. A few of them didn't even have their ships when they hit 50.

• Locked thread