Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Starting KOTFE will lock you out of a ton of earlier story content, so you don't want to start that too soon if the story interests you.

Getting a ton of XP early on is a good idea, though, because almost all game content will scale to your level. This is my usual method for a new character:

1. Do the full intro planet story; no need to rush it because it's pretty quick already.
2. Hit the fleet and get your advanced class, and do the little breadcrumb quests for crafting and stuff. Click every crew skill trainer for the codex entry, it's free XP.
3. Do the first solo-mode flashpoint for more quick XP. Enjoy the story if you're not burnt out on it.
4. Grab one or two friends and do heroics for a while, it's fast XP, fast money, and you'll have a full set of good, level-appropriate gear after a couple planets.

At this point, depending on how you played, your character might be around... level 35? With double XP, who knows... Anyway, level 35-ish is a good time to continue:

5. Now go back and pick up your class story at the second planet. You can cruise through the entire class story without doing ANY side quests, because you built up a good XP buffer. The level scaling means you still get good XP from the low-level quests. By the time you wrap up the story you'll be at LEAST level 50. With double XP you might even hit 65.

If you want to pause between chapters and do more solo-mode flashpoints, that will give you some extra bang for your buck story-wise, and give you some DvL achievements.

After the class story you can do whatever late-game stuff / expansion content you feel like. (Follow the Dulfy guide if you're going for the XP armor.)

Even playing casually, all this probably won't take more than a week. Given that the event runs a couple more months, you'll have ample time to mess with some alts.

By scaling, do you mean that when I go into my little side areas it'll all be at my level even if I'm way over the outside mobs on the planet? Because that's pretty cool. I was worried that leveling so fast would put me way above them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Prism posted:

By scaling, do you mean that when I go into my little side areas it'll all be at my level even if I'm way over the outside mobs on the planet? Because that's pretty cool. I was worried that leveling so fast would put me way above them.

Yes, when you go to any planet (or other quest area) your level is scaled down to the planet's level. You get to keep all your high-level skills and some secondary stats, but it caps your main stats/amor/damage. The cap is exactly what it sounds like, you can be below the cap but not above it. As long as your level and gear are above the planet you're on, you effectively have the best gear for that planet all the time.

That means it's actually to your advantage to be leveled/geared way above the content you're doing. You'll get the same XP from it but you'll kick its rear end. Low-level quests don't "gray out" or decrease in value. You can no longer "out-level" anything in the game. Leveling up only unlocks more content, you lose nothing, so there's no downside to absurdly front-loading your XP on any given character.

The only real caveat is not every quest reward will scale; like if you get a helmet from a level 20 quest it'll be a level 20 helmet. That's not really a problem, because better gear is easy to get, and you can still use armor rewards for the outfit system if they look cool. It can just feel a little anticlimactic. Rule of thumb: when you're offered a choice of quest rewards, pick data crystals; they'll always be useful.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Yes, when you go to any planet (or other quest area) your level is scaled down to the planet's level. You get to keep all your high-level skills and some secondary stats, but it caps your main stats/amor/damage. The cap is exactly what it sounds like, you can be below the cap but not above it. As long as your level and gear are above the planet you're on, you effectively have the best gear for that planet all the time.

That means it's actually to your advantage to be leveled/geared way above the content you're doing. You'll get the same XP from it but you'll kick its rear end. Low-level quests don't "gray out" or decrease in value. You can no longer "out-level" anything in the game. Leveling up only unlocks more content, you lose nothing, so there's no downside to absurdly front-loading your XP on any given character.

The only real caveat is not every quest reward will scale; like if you get a helmet from a level 20 quest it'll be a level 20 helmet. That's not really a problem, because better gear is easy to get, and you can still use armor rewards for the outfit system if they look cool. It can just feel a little anticlimactic. Rule of thumb: when you're offered a choice of quest rewards, pick data crystals; they'll always be useful.

Oh, I get scaled down instead of it getting scaled up inside the side zones.

Pretty cool anyhow! With the 2x XP I thought I'd pull too far ahead, but I don't think that'll be a problem after all.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

M_Sinistrari posted:

I swear, with how serious some of the long time subscribers take the sub gifts, I really wouldn't be surprised to see a post telling someone who's sub lapsed during a tragic death in the family or a near death hospitalization that it's all their fault they let their sub lapse because they should've put the game first.

Whereas my reaction to getting something really cool as a sub is to kinda hope non-subbed people get a chance to do it later, I'll take earlier access, quality of life improvements (although some of those should be free/preferred really), and the occasional cosmetic thing as my reward for being subbed as far as that goes. Granted, I'm a late comer since I only subbed after seeing the Let's Play in the forums so I don't have things like the Jawa balloon; maybe several years of that melts your brain into being a greedy idiot or something.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Tactical FPs pop so so quickly, I knocked them all out in a couple of days. You have to do a ton of them for Shadow of Revan anyway. Hard mode flashpoints on the other hand... :suicide:

Yeah, HM flashpoints plus the Dread Fortress boss and Monolith are my only real barriers to finishing Legendary DvL. On the other hand, I actually finally cleared Battle of Rishi HM with a PuG, so at least I no longer feel like it's IMPOSSIBLE to finish. If I get a chance I'll see about setting up a group to knock some of those off, though given this week is tax extension filing hell for me at work, don't expect it too soon. HM flashpoints in general just sucks my will to live, so much worse than standard operations which just feels WRONG.

Prism posted:

Pretty cool anyhow! With the 2x XP I thought I'd pull too far ahead, but I don't think that'll be a problem after all.

Nope; only real time being overleveled matters is on some of the earliest planets where they expect you to level more; your level is reduced to the maximum for the planet not the zone per se, so on planets like Drommund Kaas and Coruscant you can wind up fighting grey mobs in the earlier zones because you're set to the upper end of the planet's scale. On the other hand some of the flashpoints, while theoretically do-able at early levels with any group, can wipe you out before level 30 or so because you just lack all your major abilities (Blood Hunt and Battle of Rishi are kind of murderously bad at low levels without being carried by 65s all the time).

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Prism posted:

You do get scaled UP to the content in a few places, like certain flashpoints and PVP. And there are still a few spots where the content will adjust to your level instead of the other way around.

Inconsistencies aside, it's a pretty solid system. It gives you a ton of freedom to decide what to do and when to do it. Aside from following the basic trail of the class stories, you can do planetary quest chains or side quests completely out of order and still get full experience.

With the heroic quests, you unlock more by leveling up, but they're all good all the time; you get more money and better gear from all of them at higher levels, and as you get near the level cap it starts giving you stuff for the alliance quests from KOTFE.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nerd Of Prey posted:

With the heroic quests, you unlock more by leveling up, but they're all good all the time; you get more money and better gear from all of them at higher levels, and as you get near the level cap it starts giving you stuff for the alliance quests from KOTFE.

What are those? I haven't played since well before KotFE.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Medullah posted:

There are tons of in game tutorials, and the skill trees explicitly explain the perks. They even made it so if a skill is buffed it flashes and is highlighted.

What more would you like to see?

Not obfuscating that information through unsorted lists of abilities that are spread between 4 or 5 different tabs would be a start. Tooltips that show all the effects rather than a small, unmodified selection would also help.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Prism posted:

What are those? I haven't played since well before KotFE.

They are the same heroic quests that always existed, but now they are weekly, you pick all of them up from one big kiosk on the fleet, and you get instant teleports to the starting location of each one. You can zap from one to the next indefinitely. With the more powerful companions they are pretty easy to solo, but it's worth bringing friends because the rewards get multiplied by the number of group members. They give a fuckload of XP and money, and each one you complete gives you two prize boxes with level-appropriate blue gear. They are an unbelievably fast way to level up, gear up, and get money all at once.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

What server are you on again? You could always transfer over to JC and i could give you a hand. :)

Red Eclipse, which I assume is in a different region to you so I couldn't transfer there. I have a guild, but everyone finished DvL months ago so won't do anything with me :v:

Biggest problem so far has been pugging operations. People ragequit after one wipe, leaving me with a lockout so I'm completely unable to group again that week.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Biggest problem so far has been pugging operations. People ragequit after one wipe, leaving me with a lockout so I'm completely unable to group again that week.

It may harder now that the event is basically over but when I did it I just set up a group specifically for the bosses without worrying about the whole Op.

Being a NiM equipped Tank probably didn't hurt either.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I wouldn't be opposed to setting up a group Sunday night if there's interest to kill the ops bosses needed. Should only take an hour or two.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Consular chapter 3 makes up for its dumb plot by having lots of cool aliens that talk funny.

Voss is a chill planet and still my favourite.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Medullah posted:

I wouldn't be opposed to setting up a group Sunday night if there's interest to kill the ops bosses needed. Should only take an hour or two.

I'd be down.

Also it's sort of funny seeing people post how they feel about the new stuff.

"Man, TOR sucks, it's barely an MMO anymore! :argh: "

"Man, TOR is great! It's barely an MMO anymore! :toot: "

like for real if you don't like where it is, quit until it turns back the way you want. don't hold out and keep playing just because a dev farted out a morse code pattern saying "nightmare mode battle of odessen" at a cantina event - just take a break until there's actual stuff you want to play. nobody will judge you for it here! in the words of a mechanical fish, "don't worry, be happy"

however if you're one of the people like me who are stoked for where the game is at the moment, keep on keepin' on :cool:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

Consular chapter 3 makes up for its dumb plot by having lots of cool aliens that talk funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ws_APXilE

Goddamn Voss and their hosed up eyes.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well looks like I will have to give it an honest go this weekend.

Are we all on 1 server or are Goons spread out a lot? might as well join the Guilds for both sides for group play whenever.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well looks like I will have to give it an honest go this weekend.

Are we all on 1 server or are Goons spread out a lot? might as well join the Guilds for both sides for group play whenever.

OP is still accurate (especially since, y'know, it's a week old), most goons are on Jedi Covenant. DrunkenGarbageCan is a Harbinger raider and Waldorf is some sort of foreign terrist.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

Waldorf is some sort of foreign terrist.

Absolutely. I'm on an active (ish) guild in Europe on an English server (Red Eclipse). New players more than welcome if they want to play on the EU server but I believe the US servers are far more goon-filled.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

My old 7 1/2 completed class storylines are over on begeren colony or something like that, but I made a sith marauder named Bagrada for DvL on jedi covenant. He may get replaced by an imperial operative this weekend, I haven't decided yet if I'm going to hang around and try to do raids and guild stuff or if I'm just going to bum rush the easier DvL achievements then call it quits.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

bagrada posted:

My old 7 1/2 completed class storylines are over on begeren colony or something like that, but I made a sith marauder named Bagrada for DvL on jedi covenant. He may get replaced by an imperial operative this weekend, I haven't decided yet if I'm going to hang around and try to do raids and guild stuff or if I'm just going to bum rush the easier DvL achievements then call it quits.

I'd recommend clicking a referral to get a free transfer and transfer one of your BC toons to JC, that way your legacy will transfer too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

sassassin posted:

You're insane, because Voss is painful and terrible.

I'm still amazed they never added the Voss as a playable species, though... they use default models and can wear all the outfits just fine. I guess because that would break the whole storyline of them being relatively unknown prior to the main storyline, but they could have easily made them an allowable race for KOTFE starting characters. Just a really odd omission.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I'm still amazed they never added the Voss as a playable species, though...

Weren't they originally slated to have their own faction, back before Beta?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fuzz posted:

You're insane, because Voss is painful and terrible.

The Voss are just strange enough to appear borderline interesting, and their planet is full of savages that are actively up to no good (and monsters fitted with robot arms) so killing them more is morally palatable than it is the Empire technicians/mine workers, and "gangsters" who are minding their own business in the poor parts of town.

It also looks nice and everything feels pretty close together.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

sassassin posted:

The Voss are just strange enough to appear borderline interesting, and their planet is full of savages that are actively up to no good (and monsters fitted with robot arms) so killing them more is morally palatable than it is the Empire technicians/mine workers, and "gangsters" who are minding their own business in the poor parts of town.

It also looks nice and everything feels pretty close together.

The Voss are the real assholes on that planet. The other alien dudes turn out to be pretty chill in some of the story lines.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Trast posted:

The Voss are the real assholes on that planet. The other alien dudes turn out to be pretty chill in some of the story lines.

This. The Voss are condescending and obnoxious assholes who basically just think they're better than everyone else. They're pretty insufferable.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Medullah posted:

OP is still accurate (especially since, y'know, it's a week old), most goons are on Jedi Covenant. DrunkenGarbageCan is a Harbinger raider and Waldorf is some sort of foreign terrist.

Every six months I tell myself I'm gonna come back and play the story just to see it. And I play for a few days and give up. At least now I remember to cancel my subscription :smith:

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I had played when this first came out, then quit for whatever reason. Rolled a Commando and I'm enjoying blowing things up. You weren't kidding about the quickness of leveling. It's pretty insane. Look for a request to join the guild soon so I can poo poo up the chat with inane questions.

What crafting skills are worth the time?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

givepatajob posted:

I had played when this first came out, then quit for whatever reason. Rolled a Commando and I'm enjoying blowing things up. You weren't kidding about the quickness of leveling. It's pretty insane. Look for a request to join the guild soon so I can poo poo up the chat with inane questions.

What crafting skills are worth the time?

Realistically if you plan on doing any endgame stuff you'll want one of the following -

Biochem - Make yourself Stims (must have), Medpacs (Nice to have), Adrenals (you don't need these unless you're doing serious endgame).

Synthweaving - Makes some of the most useful augments - Critical and Alacrity. Also can make the actual Augmentation Kits to add augment slots to your gear.

Armstech - Makes Power augments and Augmentation kits

Armormech - Makes Shield and Absorb augments and augmentation kits

Now, if you don't plan on endgaming Artifice is a good choice for money - you are the only craft that can make dyes, and some of the color crystals you can make sell for a decent amount (but most of the high value ones are only obtainable by reverse engineering an old raid weapon)

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Trast posted:

I dunno, there are a lot of Gormak that seem like pretty giant assholes on their own (the guy who blocked the Gormak from leaving, for instance). Though I'll grant that there are more decent Gormak than there are decent Voss.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Good person, bad person. rear end in a top hat, not an rear end in a top hat. It doesn't really matter, lightning storm judges them all equally.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
First I find out I should be killing Esh Kha, now this...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So apparently I have like 2100 cartel coins. Are there any particular legacy unlocks at level 1 I should buy?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So apparently I have like 2100 cartel coins. Are there any particular legacy unlocks at level 1 I should buy?

Rocket boots. Fast travel. Nyoom.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thanks, is there a goon server to play on or a server agnostic chat channel? Didn't see mention of it in the OP.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's almost funny how low-budget the consular story is. There's all these ships and troops and stuff, always hiding conveniently off-screen. It's like a mid-season episode of Stargate Atlantis.

It's also insanely buggy. The Rift alliance members all either a) float 4 feet above their chairs b) clip through copies of themselves when they move or c) have a very small heads. Plus they all have swords except Nadia who had a lightsaber that she aimed like a gun.

They had time to model otter people for a couple of scenes on Corellia, but couldn't fix any of that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thanks, is there a goon server to play on or a server agnostic chat channel? Didn't see mention of it in the OP.

Jedi Covenant.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Medullah posted:

I can probably hop on Sunday night to heal or DPS as needed; there are also at least some folks often looking for storymode/groupfinder ops, especially for DvL.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MadDogMike posted:

I can probably hop on Sunday night to heal or DPS as needed; there are also at least some folks often looking for storymode/groupfinder ops, especially for DvL.

I could occasionally join in to tank/offtank where needed. I still haven't finished the dead masters HM ops (one or two bosses respective) or any of the later content.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

I could occasionally join in to tank/offtank where needed. I still haven't finished the dead masters HM ops (one or two bosses respective) or any of the later content.

You don't need to do HM ops to finish Oricon storyline, that can be done with SM.

Believe me, you don't want to do DF/DP HM.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oh I've already done them SM. Just a bit OCD about seeing 3/5 or 4/5 or whatever in the HM achievements column

e. yeah they are a bit of a pill in HM though aren't they? Or were at least. Related who remembers the original Lost Island HM? UGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Oh I've already done them SM. Just a bit OCD about seeing 3/5 or 4/5 or whatever in the HM achievements column

e. yeah they are a bit of a pill in HM though aren't they? Or were at least. Related who remembers the original Lost Island HM? UGH

I wouldn't hold my breath.

That's No Goon, in it's prime, had a regular group of 8 Hard Mode raiders. We played every Tuesday/Thursday night and knew our group like the back of our hands. We beat HM DF like 3 times and HM DP like 4 times.

HM DF and DP is a HUGE change from SM.

Unless TNG gets a group of 8 regular raiders again, I wouldn't expect do anything past EC HM. :(

• Locked thread