Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010
For leveling up an Alliance character to 65 on the DvL event I figured I'd do it with a Commando or Sentinel. Which one is my better option for being able to power through to 65 as soon as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've just hit 54 on finishing the consular class story with only preferred status, not having done any flashpoints or heroics, barely touching planetary/sidequests, no fancy xp armour, and stealthing past 90% of fights.

So it probably doesn't matter which you pick.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I went from 41 to 58 tonight doing just space missions. They are pretty good xp your first time through.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

nessin posted:

For leveling up an Alliance character to 65 on the DvL event I figured I'd do it with a Commando or Sentinel. Which one is my better option for being able to power through to 65 as soon as possible?

If you've done neither class story I prefer the Knight storyline. If you don't care about story, Commando will probably be a bit quicker because of range. But again, XP is so fast now that it really doesn't matter.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Wow, did they do nothing to the Flashpoints at any point in the past couple years? I'd had hoped they'd streamlined them as what killed me on the game originally is that they're so grindy and painful, more so than even FFXIV which at least has the excuse of the slower combat and classes with built-in lower damage output.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Im back!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

That's No Goon, in it's prime, had a regular group of 8 Hard Mode raiders. We played every Tuesday/Thursday night and knew our group like the back of our hands. We beat HM DF like 3 times and HM DP like 4 times.

6/26/2014 Never forget

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nessin posted:

Wow, did they do nothing to the Flashpoints at any point in the past couple years? I'd had hoped they'd streamlined them as what killed me on the game originally is that they're so grindy and painful, more so than even FFXIV which at least has the excuse of the slower combat and classes with built-in lower damage output.

Actually they have changed them significantly, by introducing the three difficulty tiers.

There's solo mode, which you can pretty much sleepwalk through if you just want to see the stories (and it IS possible to take a group in there if you really want to laugh off the boss fights).

There's tactical mode, which can be done at any level with a partial group, a badly-geared group, an all-DPS group, or whatever sad collection of random dudes the group finder throws at you, with clickable healing nodes for when the going gets rough.

And finally there's hard mode, if you're literally a masochist and you don't value your time or sanity.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

There's tactical mode, which can be done at any level with a partial group, a badly-geared group, an all-DPS group, or whatever sad collection of random dudes the group finder throws at you, with clickable healing nodes for when the going gets rough.
I would argue that depending on the random selection of keyboard mashers that you get, tactical is not always that easy. The number of people who ignore AOE, kolto stations, telegraphed moves, and other boss mechanics never ceases to amaze me. And that doesn't include attacking cc'd enemies and the old standby of fighting the strongest mob first and ignoring trash mob.

No I haven't been doing the FP master part of DvsL, why do you ask?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Actually they have changed them significantly, by introducing the three difficulty tiers.

There's solo mode, which you can pretty much sleepwalk through if you just want to see the stories (and it IS possible to take a group in there if you really want to laugh off the boss fights).

And finally there's hard mode, if you're literally a masochist and you don't value your time or sanity.

Yes, all that is very obvious and clear from the start. I was referring to the actual content of them. No clearing out trash, trash itself is still a massive wall of HPs that takes forever to grind down between bosses, and bosses are grind fests that take 3-4 minutes of repeating the same 5-10 seconds of actual activity over and over again with the rare single phase change.

Ponuh
Nov 8, 2006

No tricks, Mr. President. In a few moments I will release a wave of psychic energy designed to dominate the whole planet. There will be no more 'free will'.
Is there any suggested way to play the game if you want a challenge? As I understand it the companions and the high rate of exp basically makes the entire game a cakewalk. I enjoyed this game back in the day for being slightly harder than the average MMO, and I'm wondering if there are any methods to get it closer to that.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Ponuh posted:

Is there any suggested way to play the game if you want a challenge? As I understand it the companions and the high rate of exp basically makes the entire game a cakewalk. I enjoyed this game back in the day for being slightly harder than the average MMO, and I'm wondering if there are any methods to get it closer to that.

They're adding difficulty modes for the story content in KOTFE and KOTET in the expansion coming out in December. Right now I think the best you can do is run around naked and/or not use a companion.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Tactical FPs are considerably more difficult than hard mode flashpoints, if only because you'll never get a healer or tank. Almost every single tactical I've had we haven't been able to clear until someone quits and we can summon a healing companion in their place.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Tactical FPs are considerably more difficult than hard mode flashpoints, if only because you'll never get a healer or tank. Almost every single tactical I've had we haven't been able to clear until someone quits and we can summon a healing companion in their place.

SWTOR: A game where NPC's are more efficient then actual live players.

Put that on the back of the box.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Tactical FPs are considerably more difficult than hard mode flashpoints,

ehhhhh...I'll take Tactical frustrations over teammates who are too simple to understand "don't stand in poo poo" MMO 101 mechanics. I can usually drag Tactical groups to success not much you can do about DPS who insist on soaking up Major Imos Air Strikes. I'm expecting idiocy/newbies in the Tactical queue.

Also getting a lvl 19 Leeroy in your Tactical isn't nearly as soul crushing as zoning into Blood Hunt HM only to realize the "tank" you've been waiting half an hour for is lvl 54 in DPS stance with DPS gear.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Also getting a lvl 19 Leeroy in your Tactical isn't nearly as soul crushing as zoning into Blood Hunt HM only to realize the "tank" you've been waiting half an hour for is lvl 54 in DPS stance with DPS gear.

"But I get quicker queue pops when I queue as tank"

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I usually do them with one friend and two companions, which is a cakewalk.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got 3 out of 4 characters I have to level 65. :homebrew:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

ehhhhh...I'll take Tactical frustrations over teammates who are too simple to understand "don't stand in poo poo" MMO 101 mechanics. I can usually drag Tactical groups to success not much you can do about DPS who insist on soaking up Major Imos Air Strikes. I'm expecting idiocy/newbies in the Tactical queue.

this is why i only ran pug hms as tank

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

"But I get quicker queue pops when I queue as tank"

"tank pls stop spinning the boss"

"im an assassin im supposed to backstab"

Ponuh
Nov 8, 2006

No tricks, Mr. President. In a few moments I will release a wave of psychic energy designed to dominate the whole planet. There will be no more 'free will'.
Seems reasonable that no one would know what they're doing in FP since the game otherwise basically plays itself. I just hit 30 and I have about 12 more buttons than i actually need to kill anything, and this is even with disabling the healing skills on my companion. After about a day and a half I'm basically just sticking it out for the story at this point. They've made some extremely weird choices with this game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Today I learned that to unlock a set in collections you need all the gear at once. You can't just equip one piece and then delete it to save bag space.

The counter goes from 1/8 back to 0/8 if you do. :suicide:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Tell me it wasn't one of the expensive sets you found that out with.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Last year I subbed for a few months around KOTFE's release. I burned myself out leveling every class to 50, but I stopped at 50 for all of the classes. I'm looking to jump back in to experience all the main 50-65 story content for the first time; is there a preferred path or guide I can follow?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Today I learned that to unlock a set in collections you need all the gear at once. You can't just equip one piece and then delete it to save bag space.

The counter goes from 1/8 back to 0/8 if you do. :suicide:

If it was a difficult piece to get, try putting in a customer support ticket. I once deleted a character and then realized he had an extremely rare set in his inventory, still in its boxes. I put in a ticket basically begging for help, and they wrote back "mistakes happen" and restored the character for me the next day. They are extremely cool about stuff like that.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Cart Mountain posted:

Last year I subbed for a few months around KOTFE's release. I burned myself out leveling every class to 50, but I stopped at 50 for all of the classes. I'm looking to jump back in to experience all the main 50-65 story content for the first time; is there a preferred path or guide I can follow?

If you haven't seen anything post-class story it goes something like this IIRC

Ilum
Makeb
Oricon
Czerka
Prelude to Shadow of Revan
Shadow of Revan
Ziost
KOTFE

The breadcrumb for Ilum starts on your ship. There's a terminal near the holoprojector with the mission.

With 2x XP you'll hit 65 waayyyy before the end of that chain though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ponuh posted:

Seems reasonable that no one would know what they're doing in FP since the game otherwise basically plays itself. I just hit 30 and I have about 12 more buttons than i actually need to kill anything, and this is even with disabling the healing skills on my companion. After about a day and a half I'm basically just sticking it out for the story at this point. They've made some extremely weird choices with this game.

I was doing a Sith Assassin yesterday and trying out Hatred, because I'd never done it before. It just kept adding buttons and abilities that seemed important enough to use, and I was thoroughly overwhelmed. (I figure any ability that's mentioned in the skill tree is important enough that I should try to use it regularly.) It was demoralizing.

Then I switched to Darkness, and wow the graphics and effects are sooo much cooler than they are for Combat Shadows. :swoon:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is there an essential chain leading from the end of class story chapters to KOTFE?

e.g. I remember Makeb being pointless garbage that should be skipped.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

Is there an essential chain leading from the end of class story chapters to KOTFE?

It's worth doing Makeb twice, first as a Republic character, then as an Imperial character. Then you can forget it exists, unless you want to give yourself fear-of-heights nightmares and spend a couple hours trying to get a datacron.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I think I got halfway through it when I first played the game and it made me quit.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

sassassin posted:

Look up two posts above the one I quoted. I listed the post-story chain for someone else.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Not all of that is essential, and the parts I played were bad.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

I hate Qyzen.

I find his voice unpleasant and his attitude towards Wookiee-hunting to be disgusting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

I find his voice unpleasant and his attitude towards Wookiee-hunting to be disgusting.

It's annoying when you can't meaningfully call out companions for their reprehensible poo poo.

I'm not one for wanton murder in videogames but Qyzen crosses my personal line. The galaxy would be better off without him.

The questline where you have to hunt down a wookiee that's hunting down trandoshans that have been hunting down wookiees is odd.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 17, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
But who doesn't want a fine, wookie-pelt rug to compliment their lounge?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Every conversation with Skadge should have ended with the option to replace his entire head with a flurry of hot plasma.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Magmarashi posted:

Every conversation with Skadge should have ended with the option to replace his entire head with a flurry of hot plasma.

He really shouldn't have survived the initial meeting.

Although I will admit he can be funny as a companion. I wanted to get the 1000-kills-with-companion achievement, so I had him running around behind me as a medic, asking if I was going to cry like a little baby because I got injured.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

prefect posted:

He really shouldn't have survived the initial meeting.

Although I will admit he can be funny as a companion. I wanted to get the 1000-kills-with-companion achievement, so I had him running around behind me as a medic, asking if I was going to cry like a little baby because I got injured.

Hilarious, i guess? Gault is much better for that I feel.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aleth posted:

But who doesn't want a fine, wookie-pelt rug to compliment their lounge?

I imagine the wookiee isn't all that excited about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

sassassin posted:

The Shadow of Revan stuff and Ziost is worth doing at least once since they setup some characters and motivations for the KOTFE story.

Makeb is alright but I don't think you miss out on anything important by skipping it.

• Locked thread