Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Turbl posted:

The Shadow of Revan stuff and Ziost is worth doing at least once since they setup some characters and motivations for the KOTFE story.

Makeb is alright but I don't think you miss out on anything important by skipping it.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I were around for the Hutt expansion, because there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. You've got macrobinoculars and the digging UFO and the Dread Masters are all over the place. It feels like there's more happening that intertwines. Although people probably prefer the Big Thing Happening in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I picked up that dread seed questline which had a lot of digging and a level with a lot of jumping on boxes. Does it not go anywhere in the end?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

I picked up that dread seed questline which had a lot of digging and a level with a lot of jumping on boxes. Does it not go anywhere in the end?

There's a Heroic-4 mission at the end that I've had sitting on two of my characters for ages now. :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Got to Lvl 21 after like 4 hrs of play total this weekend.

I think it took me like a month to get to Lvl 12 on my highest old char lol.

It really is just a cakewalk through the storyline stuff, but so far it is a lot more fun then having to grind every single quest and mob as you go.

I was putting off picking my Focus as a Trooper and Finally went Commando which opened up a bunch of abilities that I was leaving on the table. Might do a Vanguard on a future roll but it didn't appeal to me as much as big guns did.

Also What are the three Crafting skills I should pick up? There is a minor writeup in the Op, but I am still confused on what exactly they offer (and only 1 can be the actual Crafting skill?)

Oh and also, all the in game Mail items I have in my Mailbox comes to each new character I create correct? They aren't tied to a single character one they are redeemed? (Stuff like Anniversary gifts and the Pre-Order/Collectors Edition stuff?)

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

prefect posted:

In retrospect, I kind of wish I were around for the Hutt expansion, because there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. You've got macrobinoculars and the digging UFO and the Dread Masters are all over the place. It feels like there's more happening that intertwines. Although people probably prefer the Big Thing Happening in general.

I did enjoy those mini-games and their associated story lines. My favorite was probably the one instance on Nar Shaddaa for the Shroud story where you have to jump car to car (that expansion really did go crazy with the jumping puzzles). The endings were sort of unsatisfactory to me, though. And the Dread Masters were neat but I hated that you had to complete raids to get their full story.

The biggest disappointment about the Hutt expansion was that it basically confirmed the death of the class stories.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
everything is worth doing once, but in the case of Rise of the Hutt Cartel, only once.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

EdEddnEddy posted:

Got to Lvl 21 after like 4 hrs of play total this weekend.

I think it took me like a month to get to Lvl 12 on my highest old char lol.

It really is just a cakewalk through the storyline stuff, but so far it is a lot more fun then having to grind every single quest and mob as you go.

I was putting off picking my Focus as a Trooper and Finally went Commando which opened up a bunch of abilities that I was leaving on the table. Might do a Vanguard on a future roll but it didn't appeal to me as much as big guns did.

Also What are the three Crafting skills I should pick up? There is a minor writeup in the Op, but I am still confused on what exactly they offer (and only 1 can be the actual Crafting skill?)

I posted this the other day -

Realistically if you plan on doing any endgame stuff you'll want one of the following -

Biochem - Make yourself Stims (must have), Medpacs (Nice to have), Adrenals (you don't need these unless you're doing serious endgame).

Synthweaving - Makes some of the most useful augments - Critical and Alacrity. Also can make the actual Augmentation Kits to add augment slots to your gear.

Armstech - Makes Power augments and Augmentation kits

Armormech - Makes Shield and Absorb augments and augmentation kits

Now, if you don't plan on endgaming Artifice is a good choice for money - you are the only craft that can make dyes, and some of the color crystals you can make sell for a decent amount (but most of the high value ones are only obtainable by reverse engineering an old raid weapon).

If you don't plan on doing "serious" endgaming or crafting you might want to just go with Scavenging, Bioanalysis and Slicing. That way you can sell the mats you get on the GTN and slice open credit lockboxes along the route while you're playing.

quote:

Oh and also, all the in game Mail items I have in my Mailbox comes to each new character I create correct? They aren't tied to a single character one they are redeemed? (Stuff like Anniversary gifts and the Pre-Order/Collectors Edition stuff?)

Correct.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
WELP!

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 17, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

This previous post was useful for chosing Crafting/Gathering combos

That information is outdated, it's why I took it out. :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Medullah posted:

I posted this the other day -

Realistically if you plan on doing any endgame stuff you'll want one of the following -

Biochem - Make yourself Stims (must have), Medpacs (Nice to have), Adrenals (you don't need these unless you're doing serious endgame).

Synthweaving - Makes some of the most useful augments - Critical and Alacrity. Also can make the actual Augmentation Kits to add augment slots to your gear.

Armstech - Makes Power augments and Augmentation kits

Armormech - Makes Shield and Absorb augments and augmentation kits

Now, if you don't plan on endgaming Artifice is a good choice for money - you are the only craft that can make dyes, and some of the color crystals you can make sell for a decent amount (but most of the high value ones are only obtainable by reverse engineering an old raid weapon).

If you don't plan on doing "serious" endgaming or crafting you might want to just go with Scavenging, Bioanalysis and Slicing. That way you can sell the mats you get on the GTN and slice open credit lockboxes along the route while you're playing.

Correct.

Crap, I need to look over the last 5 pages better, Knew I read this earlier.

Thanks I'll take a wack at it. I would like to do some Endgame stuff, but not sure if it will be this character or another one. (though I feel this one wouldn't be a bad DPS one in the long run.)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I started this game up last night and right away the chat was going on about poo poo like "women don't mean it when they say no" and "2D women are superior anyway" and I was fuckin laughing the whole time. Good job, MMOs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aleth posted:

But who doesn't want a fine, wookie-pelt rug to compliment their lounge?

If you're romancing Iresso or Nadia when Qyzen gives you the wookiee pelt, he suggests it as an engagement present. If you're romancing Nadia, you can politely turn him down because you don't think Nadia is the kind of woman who appreciates a wookiee pelt. Qyzen sighs and goes "Women, am I right?"

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cythereal posted:

If you're romancing Iresso or Nadia when Qyzen gives you the wookiee pelt, he suggests it as an engagement present. If you're romancing Nadia, you can politely turn him down because you don't think Nadia is the kind of woman who appreciates a wookiee pelt. Qyzen sighs and goes "Women, am I right?"

I know Bioware is big on their Romancing Simulators, but there is Romancing in TOR?

Also what happens if you throw your companion under the bus in a dialog choice? I saw that last night as I was talking to the Senate and while my first guy was a hardass at the start, I couldn't do that even to a MMO npc, but I am curious. Just Influence drop or would he just go Screw You and leave forever?

Also I had bit of a LOL in my first Flashpoint, I got the superbot companion killed and I have no idea how. I thought that thing was supposed to be nigh invulnerable for Solo Flashpoints?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Proud Christian Mom posted:

everything is worth doing once, but in the case of Rise of the Hutt Cartel, only once.

If you never want to do something again it wasn't worth doing in the first place.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also what happens if you throw your companion under the bus in a dialog choice? I saw that last night as I was talking to the Senate and while my first guy was a hardass at the start, I couldn't do that even to a MMO npc, but I am curious. Just Influence drop or would he just go Screw You and leave forever?

Also I had bit of a LOL in my first Flashpoint, I got the superbot companion killed and I have no idea how. I thought that thing was supposed to be nigh invulnerable for Solo Flashpoints?

1) In the class stories, just an influence drop and maybe some changed dialogue later on. In KOTFE (and presumably Eternal Throne), leaving is definitely a possibility with some companions.

2) I've definitely seen GodBot go down from time to time, usually from taking too much damage and not having time to self-heal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

1) In the class stories, just an influence drop

Even that's been nerfed. There's no such thing as an influence drop - what used to give you negative affection now just grants a smaller amount of influence than making the "right" choice. Ironically, for raising your influence with companions it's better to choose a choice they disapprove of than something they don't have any opinion of.

Of course, in KOTFE that can lead to some companions leaving but any companion that leaves can have a "non-canon" version pulled back after you finish KOTFE.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
You can definitely kill your GodBot but its okay since there is an assembly line of them

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea I wasn't worried about him staying around or not, but I feel it had something to do with me pulling a bit more of a mob then I could handle at the time, and Jorgan was stuck behind some wall doing nothing. Gotta love AI pathfinding sometime.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

I know Bioware is big on their Romancing Simulators, but there is Romancing in TOR?

Yeah there are romances with certain companions. And you actually can't lose influence with companions anymore. If you do something they disapprove of you get +50 influence and if you do something they approve of you get +100. The worst thing to do is to do something they're neutral on because then you don't get anything. So you can be as big of an rear end in a top hat to them as you want really. They won't ever leave in the 1-50 story, but in KOTFE some companions can be killed or leave you depending on what you say/do.

Also for the superbot I've noticed sometimes he just randomly disappears when you level-up and has to be resummoned.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

Ironically, for raising your influence with companions it's better to choose a choice they disapprove of than something they don't have any opinion of.

Shades of Dragon Age II's Friendship/Rivalry system there. *shudders*

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

EdEddnEddy posted:

I don't know if I've seen the droid get killed, but it's definitely gotten knocked off the platform in the Shae Vizsla flashpoint.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

I don't know if I've seen the droid get killed, but it's definitely gotten knocked off the platform in the Shae Vizsla flashpoint.

There's still a bug where he'll disappear mid fight if you level up. :(

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Speaking of which, are they adding more characters to smooch this expansion -he said ironically but not really

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RentACop posted:

Speaking of which, are they adding more characters to smooch this expansion -he said ironically but not really

No details but yeah, I'm sure there will be a fair amount added during the KOTET storyline. Plus the Shae Vizla and DvL companions.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
There are all the other class companions they said would be brought back still, although not bringing back Quinn in a manner that lets warriors kill him off would be hilarious.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I know class stories are basically dead and gone, but I hope that with Vette apparently being a major party member tin KOTEE that she at least has different dialogue to reflect her background with the Warrior.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

I know class stories are basically dead and gone, but I hope that with Vette apparently being a major party member tin KOTEE that she at least has different dialogue to reflect her background with the Warrior.

There's a bit of flavor text with all companions that were previously with the PC. It's pretty minor though. With Vette, there's a bit more if you were in a relationship with her prior to KOTEE.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like you, Nadia, but I don't like like you.

Please act more professional (and stop talking about your other "job" you got through nepotism).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hulk Smash! posted:

There's a bit of flavor text with all companions that were previously with the PC. It's pretty minor though. With Vette, there's a bit more if you were in a relationship with her prior to KOTEE.

I wonder how she reacts if you start a relationship with her in KOTEE but specifically did not in the main game.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hulk Smash! posted:

I loved it when my Agent encountered Kaliyo on Zakuul.

Kaliyo: No way! Where have you been?
Theron: You two know each other?
Agent: She was my wife.

Really good line reading on that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wonder how she reacts if you start a relationship with her in KOTEE but specifically did not in the main game.

I don't know that you can. I believe the only romances you can begin in KOTFE are Lana and Theron.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Medullah posted:

I don't know that you can. I believe the only romances you can begin in KOTFE are Lana and Theron.

Entirely possible. At this point I tend to just assume they'll include the ability to romance someone if they make them a focus character in an expansion :v:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

You can also try flirting with Senya and Satele but that doesn't work so well

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Medullah posted:

Let's not forget everyone's favorite Koth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As for the possibility of new romances in Eternal Throne, datamining spoilers: Doesn't look like it. You can repeatedly flirt with Empress Acina, but she politely turns you down. There are occasional romance-related moments if you're romancing one of Lana, Theron, Koth, Torian, Vette, Kaliyo, or Aric.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I installed this late last week for the first time since the Beta test, which I hated, and it's pretty fun! There's so much about the game that I don't quite get yet, but my Sith Juggernaut has been murdering her way though stuff and even though the game seems to suffer from the usual Dark Side/evil = just being a dick at all times, the Sith Empire is even relatively interesting. I wish there was more transparency about some of the mechanics but the game is scratching the itch I needed it to, and I'm looking forward to figuring out more about what the gently caress I'm doing!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

At some point I was told that Sith Inquisitor was a good story. I'm on Nar Shadda now and I don't know if it is, but there is some fun to be had in being an arrogant, smug, bloodthirsty rear end in a top hat to everyone including your direct superiors and ancient force ghosts and stuff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

As for the possibility of new romances in Eternal Throne, datamining spoilers: Doesn't look like it. You can repeatedly flirt with Empress Acina, but she politely turns you down. There are occasional romance-related moments if you're romancing one of Lana, Theron, Koth, Torian, Vette, Kaliyo, or Aric.

Haha now there's a thought.

Political marriage with Acina. If they wanted to give us choices with consequences that'd be a fun one

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

...and the voice of a thousand raiders never coming back to the game cried out.

quote:

Hey folks,

One of the things we talked a bit about on the stream is that there are gearing changes happening with Knights of the Eternal Throne. This thread is meant to give you a few more details on some of the things that will be happening in KOTET, along with being a place that I can address questions or concerns you have with these changes. First, here are the details on how gearing will work at level 70:

*Once you hit level 70, the source of end-game gear will be Command Crates from Galactic Command.
*Most activities in the game will earn Command Experience Points (CXP), which will earn you Command Ranks. Each time your Command Rank increases, you earn a Command Crate.
*The higher your Command Rank, the better gear that will drop from your Command Crates.
*The highest difficulty Operations and Uprisings, along with Ranked Warzones are intended to be the fastest ways to earn CXP. This means they are the fastest way to get the best gear.
*Both PvP and PvE gear will come from Command Crates. Their gear is now shared as Expertise is being removed (head to this thread to discuss PvP/PvE itemization specifically).
*Gear will no longer drop from bosses as all gear will come from Command Crates. All cosmetic/unique drops will still remain on those bosses (Stronghold Decorations, Wings of the Architect, etc.).
*Players will be able to craft comparable item level gear without set bonuses.

That should cover most of the basic changes coming to itemization in KOTET. [/list]
I know this is a lot to take in, so please ask any questions you may have in this thread and I will work to answer what I can!

Medullah fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Maybe it's because I don't raid but that doesn't seem that different than now. It's still random what you get and raids are still the fastest way to the good stuff. My understanding is that no one that's serious about raiding really buys anything with comms so those going away is not a big deal and crafted gear is still sub-par.

• Locked thread