Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Hey, made an account for this and start a jedi knight character on Jedi Covenant. Never played this before ... but all these talk about being able to solo a lot of the game is appealing since i'm a bit tired of grouping with random morons in WOW for the last 2-3 years.

Anyway, do i need to reach some specific level to be able to join a (goon) guild? When i go to the guild screen, i only see 3 panels with the "benefits" of joining a guild and nothing else :s

(I bought the Amazon bundle so i'm not on a F2P account, i think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hulk Smash! posted:

Maybe it's because I don't raid but that doesn't seem that different than now. It's still random what you get and raids are still the fastest way to the good stuff. My understanding is that no one that's serious about raiding really buys anything with comms so those going away is not a big deal and crafted gear is still sub-par.

But it's going back to a 1.0 like RNG based system. You get a box with a random piece of gear based on your Advanced Class - so you could get two set piece belts. Anyone who remembers warzone Champion gearing can tell you how awful it was.

And if what the thread is saying is true, no more getting a piece of gear on one alt (like an unassembled piece) and transferring it to an alt, since the gear is advanced class based.

I guess it will depend on how fast you level galactic command and how often you get rewards for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

madstrike posted:

Hey, made an account for this and start a jedi knight character on Jedi Covenant. Never played this before ... but all these talk about being able to solo a lot of the game is appealing since i'm a bit tired of grouping with random morons in WOW for the last 2-3 years.

Anyway, do i need to reach some specific level to be able to join a (goon) guild? When i go to the guild screen, i only see 3 panels with the "benefits" of joining a guild and nothing else :s

Advantages of joining a guild - bonus to XP, bonus to Reputation (like faction in EQ), and having people to talk to.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

But it's going back to a 1.0 like RNG based system. You get a box with a random piece of gear based on your Advanced Class - so you could get two set piece belts. Anyone who remembers warzone Champion gearing can tell you how awful it was.

And if what the thread is saying is true, no more getting a piece of gear on one alt (like an unassembled piece) and transferring it to an alt, since the gear is advanced class based.

I guess it will depend on how fast you level galactic command and how often you get rewards for it.

Hm. OK. Hopefully the rate you gain points is high enough and the ability to disintegrate useless items for more points will help mitigate that.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

No no, i meant: when i go to the guild screen, 3 panels show up with that info. No guild browser or list or whatever.

So was wondering if there's a required level to join a guild?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Generally, getting to level 3 requires more experience and time than getting to level 2 did. Is that curve also going to exist for these command ranks? :ohdear:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

madstrike posted:

No no, i meant: when i go to the guild screen, 3 panels show up with that info. No guild browser or list or whatever.

So was wondering if there's a required level to join a guild?

As long as you're not F2P (and it sounds like you're not) you can whisper someone and get an invite from level 1.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

Generally, getting to level 3 requires more experience and time than getting to level 2 did. Is that curve also going to exist for these command ranks? :ohdear:

Yep, from the looks of it.

Official blog on "Galactic Command"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And to add to it, Galactic Command is a subscriber only feature, so they are REALLY pushing F2P/Preferred = Story only, Subscribe if you want to do ANY endgame or PvP.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I'm not against this whole Galactic Command thing in general but good god who the hell thought it was a good thing to go back to total RNG gear and how did this person get other people to agree with him/her

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

All praise be unto RNGesus! Ugh...sounds like the Heroic boxes kicked up a notch to me.

On one hand getting rid of Bolster (since Bioware is really, really bad at math) is good on the other hand earning gear for one aspect of the game to use in another tends to be really bad design. I'd rather poke my eyes out with forks than run through the same NiM Ops for another year and I don't really want to have to do Ranked to optimize a char I plan on just casually playing in regs.

Hopefully I get something nice for my 400k WZ comms though.

Turbl posted:

I'm not against this whole Galactic Command thing in general but good god who the hell thought it was a good thing to go back to total RNG gear and how did this person get other people to agree with him/her

Also this.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Preferred players can't Whisper can we?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

All praise be unto RNGesus! Ugh...sounds like the Heroic boxes kicked up a notch to me.

On one hand getting rid of Bolster (since Bioware is really, really bad at math) is good on the other hand earning gear for one aspect of the game to use in another tends to be really bad design. I'd rather poke my eyes out with forks than run through the same NiM Ops for another year and I don't really want to have to do Ranked to optimize a char I plan on just casually playing in regs.

Hopefully I get something nice for my 400k WZ comms though.

Yeah I can dig the general concept of this as being a nice way for people to gear up in methods other than raiding - however, this completely discourages alts. Currently, I have a ton of characters of all specs, and when I play I'll rotate between them and often pug with different characters, and any gear drops go toward gearing out an alt. Now, I'll have to play each individual Advanced Class (I'm assuming the mods will still be able to be legacy bound so I can share sniper/gunslinger gear) in order to gear them up. Which will lead to a lot of waiting around in Operations because normally I can just say "Well, we're down a healer, I'll swap to my merc and roll on tokens for my Sniper".

I'll reserve some judgment until the numbers come out (conversion rates of current crystals and warzone comms), along with a general idea of how bad the RNG game is going to be...but I see this as being a pretty big turn off for long time players who just don't feel like grinding the same crap over and over again for another year.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

At some point I was told that Sith Inquisitor was a good story. I'm on Nar Shadda now and I don't know if it is, but there is some fun to be had in being an arrogant, smug, bloodthirsty rear end in a top hat to everyone including your direct superiors and ancient force ghosts and stuff.

Broken and insane female DS Inquisitor is my favorite story line.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmm. Will Eternal Throne still be free if I resub after it launches? After resubbing and playing for a couple weeks I've realized I'm already kind of tired of this and am considering dropping my sub and coming back once Eternal Throne actually launches. Shae Vizla as a companion means nothing because companions in the KOTFE/KOTET era of the game don't mean poo poo for the story.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Slim to no chance at all of being able to complete all of the DvL stuff before it ends if you start now, right?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

dreffen posted:

Slim to no chance at all of being able to complete all of the DvL stuff before it ends if you start now, right?

As long as you're willing to devote the time to do it, you should be able to hit Legendary within the time frame. The only X-Factor is whether or not they're running Rakghoul event and Gree event again before 11/29.

If you're trying to go all the way I'd recommend your "main" DvL toon be a tank as the hardest part is going to be hitting all the Hard Mode flashpoints, and as a tank you'll always be in demand.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Medullah posted:

As long as you're willing to devote the time to do it, you should be able to hit Legendary within the time frame. The only X-Factor is whether or not they're running Rakghoul event and Gree event again before 11/29.

If you're trying to go all the way I'd recommend your "main" DvL toon be a tank as the hardest part is going to be hitting all the Hard Mode flashpoints, and as a tank you'll always be in demand.

I don't care about Legendary in the slightest, but what would I have to do to get the Light side armor set in this image?

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/na/20160623_DvLRewardBlog/Weapon-Tuning.gif

The guides I've been looking at haven't been super clear.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Medullah posted:

The only X-Factor is whether or not they're running Rakghoul event and Gree event again before 11/29.
Gree is tomorrow and Tat rakghoul is Nov 15.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't care about Legendary in the slightest, but what would I have to do to get the Light side armor set in this image?

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/na/20160623_DvLRewardBlog/Weapon-Tuning.gif

That looks like the Temple Guardian set which is currently going for about 50 million on Jedi Covenant, or you could potentially get lucky with a DvL pack.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not 100% sure which armor set that is but it doesn't look like either of the rewards from the DvL event.

I'm on my phone so I can't get a real good look but I think that's just a cartel set so you can buy it from the GTN. The saber effect is a tuning mod.

You can get a bunch of random items in the crates you get as rewards from the event but the only guaranteed items are in the link i posted before. A few mounts, a pet, and two sets of armor. And the companion, or course.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

CeeCee posted:

Gree is tomorrow and Tat rakghoul is Nov 15.

When is the earliest level you can do Gree stuff?

e: nm can just look that stuff up

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

dreffen posted:

When is the earliest level you can do Gree stuff?

e: nm can just look that stuff up

50 technically, but I suspect if you're low level you can group with some higher level friends and mooch credit for kills off them.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Medullah posted:

50 technically, but I suspect if you're low level you can group with some higher level friends and mooch credit for kills off them.

I'd started this over the weekend and got to 30 on a Shadow, figuring I'd do my Imp character after. Guess we'll see what happens!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It just seems so stupid to have this Galactic Command leveling be the primary source of gear. If it was a bonus thing like the DvL boxes that would be ok. I quit and come back to this game every once again and I've always really wanted to love it but Bioware has consistently made such dumb moves.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

phosdex posted:

It just seems so stupid to have this Galactic Command leveling be the primary source of gear. If it was a bonus thing like the DvL boxes that would be ok. I quit and come back to this game every once again and I've always really wanted to love it but Bioware has consistently made such dumb moves.

I'm really put off by it right now, but in all fairness we don't know some of the details. Things I'm anxious to find out -

- Are the RNG gear drops at least tied to your spec?
- If you get a duplicate item and disintegrate it, how much GXP does that grant you?
- Is there going to be ANY way to transfer GC boxes to alts
- Will there be any way other than praying to the RNG Gods to get a piece? The last time they had this was with Champion PvP gear, where you randomly got a piece but after a certain time you accumulated tokens that allowed you to buy pieces you didn't get

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I kind of like the announcement as it fits my casual non-commital playstyle, but really kills my desire to play right now. No point in really grinding out heroics when I'll be grinding them out in a few months time.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Too early to have a strong opinion about this, but I like the idea that the gear grind is kind of shifting into a level grind, like a character gets stronger just from playing that character, and then they'll get the same drops from anything you decide to do. It leaves more room for different play styles.

Like you don't have to do endgame poo poo, you just have to have an endgame character, and then anything they do at that point, they'll get good drops. The reason I like this is that I never really enjoyed having to beat my head against really hard content just to have gear that works for doing other stuff. I was in a weekly raid group for a few months and I loving hated it, for a few reasons. (The feeling of being obligated to play a video game on a schedule makes my skin crawl.) So I guess whenever they're pissing off raiders, I'm their target audience.

But the other thing is, I do enjoy running ops. I enjoy grouping with friends, and I enjoy the fancy boss fights. But there is nothing more annoying to me than being limited by people's lovely gear. When everybody learns the mechanics and does their role right and you still lose, that is not fun for me at all, especially when I feel like we can't improve our gear unless we accomplish things that our gear is making it difficult to accomplish... it's like a Catch-22. It's that old loot treadmill that all but the most fanatical raid junkies dislike.

I am enjoying the idea that if I simply invest my time in a character, I can gradually put together a really nice set of gear that will expand my options. Or if I'm failing at content because my gear isn't good enough, I can go do random other poo poo and my gear will naturally get better over time, and then I can try again.

I feel like this will make the game more open-ended, and more RPG-like as opposed to MMO-like, which we all know is this game's strength if it has one. The feeling of steady progress is kind of key to the whole RPG experience, and I like the idea that you're not stuck at a certain tier at any point, unable to progress. I like the idea that any road you take will get you to the right place, so it's just a matter of how fast you want to go.

I do have some trepidation when it comes to how all this might affect alts, because I have like 35 characters. But really, there's maybe 4 of them that I stick to when it comes to grinding on endgame stuff, and the rest are just for fuckin' around.

Side note: I am intrigued by the direction they're going with the light vs. dark stuff. It feels very thematically appropriate for Star Wars, and it's cool that your alignment will finally have some consequences beyond what your character looks like, even if they're minor.

Again, this whole ramble is just a very fast first impression. I'm curious to see how it all pans out.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
Hey, just getting back into this for the time being. Figured I'd post in here in case you do any sort of validation on guild invites or whatever.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

madstrike posted:

'Sup fellow former Marvel Heroes player. I re-subbed to this about a week ago too and I really should get in the goon guild. It was the game I played before MH.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Going from Dromond Kaas chat on JC a few minutes ago, the way some are carrying on about this Command Crate thing is as if they just announced the servers are shutting down this week. Christ, for as much as I do really like the changes they've made to the game to the point I'm contentedly subbing now, I swear the community here is completely clueless to how much MMO gaming has changed over the years especially with the demographics of who's actually playing now and what they're interested in.

But then what do I know as I'm one of those feeelthy casuals who enjoys having the option to solo stuff instead of hoping to get a group that's not full of smacktards and doesn't think all the game's ills started with the introduction of f2p/preferred and the cartel market.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I feel like this will make the game more open-ended, and more RPG-like as opposed to MMO-like, which we all know is this game's strength if it has one. The feeling of steady progress is kind of key to the whole RPG experience, and I like the idea that you're not stuck at a certain tier at any point, unable to progress. I like the idea that any road you take will get you to the right place, so it's just a matter of how fast you want to go.

The main reason I walked away from FFXIV when I did was that the only meaningful method of making my numbers bigger at one point was to beat a specific boss that "pubbies" just couldn't get right. After 5 failures the spell wore off and I wondered what I was doing with my time.

Gating forward progress behind accomplishing specific difficult tasks is just bad business.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Lozareth posted:

'Sup fellow former Marvel Heroes player. I re-subbed to this about a week ago too and I really should get in the goon guild. It was the game I played before MH.

Hey Loz!

--

So yeah, the game is what i thought it was before i played (SW: WoW) but i don't mind it actually, it's nice to not have to 'discover' mechanics and just get on with it.

Although i see that they still on the idea that classes having a tons of abilities and complicated rotations is a good thing, at least from these first 18-20 levels :s

One question though: i started a Jedi Knight and chose a Defense Guardian. Am i locked to the defense part? Or , from what i read, i need to grind some legacy points to be able to change specs? That the only way ?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You should be able to change specs by going to the class trainer on the fleet.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Crit or Alacrity?

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yes. It was horrible and eventually pretty demotivating. Not that the ops changes haven't been completely demotivating in the last few expansions. The last ops I personally enjoyed were the dread masters ones.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

sassassin posted:

Crit or Alacrity?

If you're below 65 it doesn't matter otherwise just don't raise Alac over 9% or Crit above 39%.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This game never had 1000 raiders, come on.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
What MMO does, really? As much as they might cry about it MMOs have long since stopped bothering to cater to the 'hardcore' raiders because it's not worth it to spend time and money on poo poo that a tiny minority of players will bother with until they get bored and move on/whine about. Much better financially and easier to pander to the 'casual' crowd who will drop the occasional :10bux: on vanity poo poo/gamble boxes, I would have thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Y'know, I was a bit miffed at the gearing changes, but now I love it. The salty goodness on Reddit and the official forums is just delicious.

• Locked thread