Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

*I know when I play a Star Wars game I totally want to run a moisture farm or dance on a table for hours!

That's what the Star Trek game is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

KittyEmpress posted:

So I've been playing a Guardian and I really want to like it because I really like T7 and really like Kira and very much enjoy being 'good' again [my past two characters were a BH and a SI] but holy poo poo, how do people play non ranged classes in this. It feels so much slower compared to my SI, who I just threw down a lightning storm up until makeb, and killed entire groups of mobs. My two AOE moves suck and barely do a third of a normal mob's hp, my leap cooldown means I basically kill one group of mob, then have to physically run up to another, then I can jump to the third...

I really like the animation for Blade Dance, but drat I think Melee just isn't for me.

Try speccing into Focus. You get more range on your attacks and it buffs Force Sweep out the rear end.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Canemacar posted:

So, which do goons prefer; the Jedi Knight or the Consular? I've dabbled in both, but I can't decide which to stick with. I'm hoping some opinions and editorializing can help me make up my mind.

I actually like the Consular story more from what I've seen. It feels like a real Jedi story where you're investigating a mystery, learning secrets of the Force, and protecting people. In contrast the Knight story was more of an action movie that happened to have a Jedi in it as you hunt down superweapon after superweapon like it's the 90s EU all over again.

Gameplay-wise I'm on the fence. The Consular's range was very convenient, but the knight felt more dynamic. In flashpoints I felt like I was contributing more as a consular since I could keep more consistent DPs and off heals while my attempts at tanking as knight just end up with me panicking as my health plummets followed by death.

The knight has two awesome companions, a cool enough one, and two duds while I have yet to get a comp I didn't hate as consular.

Consular is a fun side story. Knight is the A plot of the entire game.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Oh hey so I have like 1400 cartel moneys now and I've unlocked all of the quick travel options I need. What's my best bet for turning that into sweet space money to spend on hats?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Opened a few hypercrates this morning. Rey's speeder is good, right?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Late entry, but I got nostalgic about the Bantam book era, in which all Jedi wore jumpsuits because the prequels hadn't been released yet.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Twelve Elves posted:

Late entry, but I got nostalgic about the Bantam book era, in which all Jedi wore jumpsuits because the prequels hadn't been released yet.

Oh poo poo, only just unlocked the final item in a set. Late entry, but the Alliance needs a Commander who dresses appropriately.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

Class changes for 5.0 are live

Don't see anything different from the datamining. RIP phase walk for Assassins. :(

That's a pretty underwhelming "simplification" of combat. I'd love to see something like four or five main skills, max. Oh well.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

It's a MMORPG, it's already simplistic as hell. This isn't a console game. :)

That's a shame though! It's simplistic but I've gotta hit like a dozen buttons every time I fight. That's too many buttons!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

As long as you're only playing for the story you can pretty much get by with just hitting 1-3 buttons.

Yeah but like.

Ok I keep thinking about this when I play, especially on my main (a Guardian). The game throws so many goddamn abilities and combinations at you, but when you think about it the "class fantasy" (to borrow a term from another game) is way simpler than that. Take the Vigilance spec, for example. The concept behind it is acrobatics and supercharging your lightsaber to start setting fire to stuff.

To accomplish that in the current game, you hit three separate buttons to activate three different (but similar) damage over time attacks. To have enough of the required resource to launch these attacks, you'll need to have hit one of two resource builder attacks. Activating your three DOTs (in the right order) gives you a narrow window to activate a fourth attack that's buffed by activating the DOTs, and then you're back at square one or into a new rotation phase.

I've thought for a while that SWTOR is doing itself a disservice by how many buttons it throws at you. In an ideal world, you honestly could survive with just four - a basic attack buffed by your spec choice (Vigilance gets a burning effect, Focus gets extended range, cannon troopers get explosive ammo, etc), a short cooldown advanced attack, a long cooldown ultimate ability and a healing/recovery move to keep you alive. For class progression, unlock buffs and even replacement abilities for these four slots.

The beauty of this (and I know it's kind of stolen from Diablo and MOBAs) is that it lets you actually focus on what's on the screen. I spend half of every fight looking at my action bars and that's boring as poo poo. The other benefit is that the simplified combat system would make the game ideal for porting to consoles, whose populations are dying for good free to play games.

Sorry for the effort post, this niggle gets me every time I come back to this game.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I was dumb enough to buy that set outright and wore it as an IA through every infiltration mission. Stupid Republic never had a clue.

It is a great unlock for Imperial classes though. Warrior and SI each get at least one 'Imperial Officer'-type companion and it's good to dress them appropriately.

Space Barbie is the only true gameplay.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

sassassin posted:

He's crazy.

He knows too much.

Yeah, let's get him on the ship instead of putting a bullet in his head, that sounds great. Worst undercover mission ever.

God drat the companions in the game are almost all unlikable poo poo.

Agent gets saddled with some really unfortunate choices early on. It gets way better later, but yeah Kaliyo and Vector are both really bad.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

sassassin posted:

Having companions around really clashes with pretty much everything that has happened in chapter two so far. Everyone is in don't trust anyone mode but you're carting a few randoms into every secret rendezvous Vector being the most trustworthy, and he's literally part of a weird alien hive-mind.

Bit annoying having to dismiss companions every transition for *immersion*, but no one said being a secret agent would be easy,

You could always buy a droid from the AH.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

actually they are good because they are all so crazy

Actually that's the reason they're bad and annoying.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

Lokin and Scorpio are two of the best companions. Vector is pretty cool too. Kaliyo is bad and Temple is boring.

Temple and Lokin are the only ones that feel thematically appropriate for the character.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Aw man, there's no way I can grind out Eternal before the end of the month.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

Vigilance is overall better DPS right now, but it's a tiny margin while you're leveling. The DOTs and spread of DOTs is nice, but most stuff is going to die so quick it really doesn't matter much. Look at the specs and choose which one looks more fun for you. I personally prefer Focus/Rage as it just feels more powerful, and a fully charged Smash/Force Sweep is really fun. Are you going to PvP? Or just play the story? If you're just playing the story play whichever one looks more enjoyable, the margin of difference is so tiny unless you're doing endgame stuff that it really doesn't matter.

Hell, you can even go tank spec in DPS gear and do some serious damage. :)

Focus is way more fun, everything just feels more immediate.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Colgate posted:

I sort of agree with about some of the story not being really told well with this medium, but without heavy WoW-style phasing, I'm not sure how you'd make that work. I'm not sure how FFXIV does it, and I know The Secret World doesn't do it.

I also agree that a lot of chapter 3s just feel like we're just wasting some time before their endgame, because every class has to do Belsavis, Voss and Corellia, and basically have to do gymnastics for reasons for the character to go there (I feel like the Sith Inquisitor was guilty of this, but I'm not sure).

You do it by releasing the game as a non-MMO. Hell, you could release an Empire and a Republic version and have each of the four protagonists form a party.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Had to set every graphics option to Low and the resolution to 1280x1024 to load the first cutscene. Might be time for an upgrade...

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something else, or even how long it's been going on, but with my characters on JC, if I choose to report someone, I have the options of picking spam, harassment, name, or real life/suicide threat. With my characters on Harbinger, I only have the option to report spam. Anyone have an idea what's going on?

Bioware doesn't care if Harbinger players kill they are selves.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Just finished chapter nine. That ghost Vaylin fight sure can go gently caress itself.

My sub lasted exactly long enough to unlock Shae Vizla. Guess I don't need to sub now till the inevitable next expansion?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

somedamnthing posted:

As someone who barely remembers playing the KOTORs, as long as you basically remember the HK droid being charmingly evil, and the name 'Revan' and what he was all about, you can play SWTOR with a sperg-free conscience. There are other references (like the planet Taris, for example), but nothing that will lose you, story-wise.

KOTOR 2 in particular has been pretty much written out of the continuity, because I guess Bioware got pissed that Obsidion wrote a better story (they forgot the ending though).

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Asimo posted:

It's more that it takes a giant smug deconstructive poo poo all over the concepts and themes of the setting, better written or not.

Star Wars needs a bit of a deconstruction now and then.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Asimo posted:

Sure.

I just can't exactly blame Bioware/Lucasarts for not exactly sticking close to the plot afterwards though.

Yeah, they curb stomped one of the NJO novels the same way for suggesting that the whole Light/Dark thing might be a bit of a false dichotomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Baron von der Loon posted:

Also, by Bioware actually bringing in the 'True Sith' empire, I really think that they stuck pretty close to the idea of what Sith Lords seemed to be suggesting at the end with what happened to Revan. Tie in a cameo by the Exile, and I never really get why people say that Bioware has completely ignored Sith Lords. All in all, I think it's a pretty good continuation of what was setup earlier.

Hell, you might even say that the whole 'Dark vs. Light' concept that's going on in Galactic Command is what Kreia was talking about when she said that the next war was going to be about belief :)

That's one of several things that annoys me about KOTOR. Revan and Malak become Sith in order to get the Republic ready to fight... the REAL Sith. If the trilogy had been better planned you could have set up Zakuul as the real big bad all along, but instead we got this pissweak parody of the original trilogy Empire.

• Locked thread